Have mainstream politicians lost Pride?

1. martyn notman 2 Jul 2011, 4:36pm

the less tories on the march the better. dont want to lower the tone do we…!

1. I don’t think labels really matter here. Gays can live and even in better conditions without parasitical power hungry members of the political ruling class. Why oh why gays want to worship these vampires is beyond me.

Maybe that question should be directed at PN Staff.

1. Staircase2 3 Jul 2011, 12:59am

Nobody wants to ‘worship’ anyone – what a strange perspective.
        Politicians are elected BY the people FOR the people – its just that the people haven’t realised that yet!
        Its imperative that Politicians join in events like Pride – simply because doing so signals their support of the LGBTQI Rights agenda. And that signals to society at large that change is coming…

2. @Pepa

What a bizarre world view you have sometimes …

I doubt given the scrutiny of politicians in the UK over recent years there would (for many years) be any sense of adulation or worship of politicians …

Having politicians (who are involved in the decision making process – which coincidentally LGBT are affected by (both in terms of general law and equality laws)) take part in pride, is part of the scrutiny and holding to account the law makers in their promises … failure to attend suggests they are at best apathetic to any issue affecting the LGBT population.

At the very least I would have expected the secretary of state with responsibility for equality (Theresa May) to have shown support and solidatrity … its evident by her failure to attend that LGBT issues are not a priority for her. It is feasible to attend 2 events on the same day – most politicians attend many more than that!

3. “Why oh why gays want to worship these vampires is beyond me.”

Yeah, you go Comrade! Better red then dead.

2. Lynne Featherstone should have at least been leading the march. New York’s always had political figures attending the event. Livingstone is wrong though, marching for full equality is a political issue.

1. There is a difference between marching and actually improving the lives of gays. There is still too much work to be done within the community that looking to kiss the boots of the ruling class is simply nihilistic.

2. Staircase2 3 Jul 2011, 1:02am

What the article says is that he said its not a Political event in the sense that politicans are joining it….It was an observation on how the Pride event currently is – not a judgement on what he thinks it should be:
      “Ken Livingstone, who joined the front of the parade, said: “It’s not a political event. We’ve got a way to catch up with New York.
      “We’ve had a very good turnout [of politicians] in the past but it’s not a political event in that sense.”

3. I agree that those who have responsibility for equality and leading legislation that affects LGBT people should (even if it is only symbolic – that is a very important issue) have made a clear and unequivocal demonstration of their solidarity with LGBT issues.

3. Theresa May?… c’mon … she’s the Homophobe in Chief, appointed by CallMeDave. The day you see her parading with teh gays, you can be assured something dodgy is going on.

1. Still playing the same old card of no Tory can ever do anything right or change their views eh? shows the level of your open mindedness and willingness to accept change

1. There’s no need to worry about my open mindedness. I’ll easily accept change when I see it. Until then, I’ll just keep myself busy denouncing the factual horrors this government is inflicting on the population. I’ll leave the fantasy to the imagination of lunatics and the easily deceived.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2011, 11:23am

I guess if you’d rather this government did nothing you should be honest and say so.

It seems with the like of Beberts not only can whoever is in government not only not win whatever it does but it’s clear people like Beberts would rather we had nothing from this government.

Of course if we’re talking about marriage Equality had Labour remained we wouldn’t even be talking about it so Beberts I guess by dragging us all down with you at least you’re happy.

Never happier unless your bitchin eh, Beberts?

2. Think is your blinkers made you unable to see the change

3. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Jul 2011, 4:18pm

“’ll easily accept change when I see it”

Well accept the fact that Labour lost the general election you troll

4. Bitter, cold minded and desperate to be offended is Beberts.

4. Steve Gilbert MP marched all the way today; good for him!

5. Well done to Steve Gilbert but why wasn’t the “Equalities minister” Lynne Featherstone invited? She would have received a big cheer for her promise of gay marriage by 2015.

1. Ricardo S. 2 Jul 2011, 9:55pm

I didn’t think an invitation was necessary. She should have been there.

2. She wont be in Goverment in 2015 hopefully.

1. Probably not, but there are still potentially nearly 4 years and she could achieve a lot in that time including equal marriage BY 2015

1. Don Harrison 5 Jul 2011, 5:45pm

James you need to be careful making homophobic comments like this

2. “Hopefully we will have someone with some sense who will put homosexuals in their place and stop all the shirt stiring that they are doing.”

That sounds awfully uncomfortable to do in a park at 3am, James, how do you manage?

6. “The key thing now is for the government to go after the issue of marriage.”…..I’m beginning to like you a lot Ken!. Would actually be nice to know which politicians have come out in favour of marriage equality? Steve Gilbert and the rest of the lib dems….lab leader…anyboy else? I know my Plaid Cymru MP has, written to him and he was very enthuisiastic about it and wrote to Lynne about it. I think we need a campaign like Australia where they have all been told to write and meet their MPs and urge for marriage equality….we’ll never get there without more fuss being made surely????

1. Maybe if gays start to look at marriage for what it is (spiritual rite, monogamy, sexual exclusivity) instead of using it to make certain gay sex activists look and feel good, maybe the chips will fall on our side. Until then, gay marriage is just viewed as another attempt to redefine marriage from its very roots and functions.

1. Staircase2 3 Jul 2011, 1:17am

‘gay’ is an adjective – not a noun –
        ‘gay people’, people, please! lol

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2011, 7:30am

We want marriage Equality Not ‘Gay’ marriage.

3. @Pepa
        So are all heterosexuals in marriages monogamous?

4. @Pepa

Given your claims I would think you would know the correct phrase is gay men, gay women or gay people not gays

Marriage predates religious involvement – so declaration that it is a spiritual rite first and foremost is wrong – although this is indeed an element of marriage for some.

Having been in gay monogamous relationships with sexual exclusivity and knowing many others in them – I find your stereotyping that gay relationships are non-exclusive and non-monogamous offensive and judgemental. Some are not. Many are.

5. “Until then, gay marriage is just viewed as another attempt to redefine marriage from its very roots and functions.”

You mean to say “In my OPINION, gay marriage is just viewed as another attempt to redefine marriage from its very roots and functions”

And your opinion is based on paranoid delusions and borderline neurosis, so really, does it count?

1. @Will

You obviously forgot something …
          Pepa’s opinion is always right and factual – no one elses is – everyone else is wrong …
          Sheesh!

1. Oh, yes, of course Stu, I forgot. They’re NOT paranoid delusions, they’re “real”. I better go get my tin-foil hat before they steal my thoughts.

2. lol

3. I had my tin foil hat on already … lol

7. Ken don’t count as a true marcher as he is really just doing the pride to use against Borris come election time.

There is a distinct lack of liberal presence tbh. That’s what happens when you become Tory whipping boys. The Tories themselves in central govt are All like May. Says they are not against gas but … Yea would rather we weren’t here.

The personwho should really of been there to support a part of society that call me Dave really won’t is Ed Milliband. He should of been there supporting same sex marriage.
    But he ain’t smart enough for that… Too busy trying to prove he ain’t a slave to the unions saying people shouldn’t strike.

1. John Meados 3 Jul 2011, 10:46pm

wow you really need to learn your LGBT history! Ken consistently supported LGBT rights throughout the 80s when the tories and the media were completely villifying us. Throughout his Mayorality he marched with and spoke from the stage at Pride – he helped support it becoming a central london event which succesfully eclipsed the less political ‘parade’ and ticketed event that used to take place. I dont recall Boris ever addressing Trafalgar Square at the rally, and he has marched once where his over riding message was ‘Here I am in a pink stetson’ – hardly a strive forward for equality is it?

Overall Labour’s record in word and deed on LGBT rights has left the Tories high and dry -as their cuts to LGBT services, and events in city hall has shown.

1. EDL Supporter 4 Jul 2011, 2:20pm

Ken Livingstone will do anything to get into power. He supported a “rainbow coalition” of minority groups in the 1980s. Once the number of muslims increased he decided to embrace their murderously homophobic emissaries. He’ll do the occasional photo-op like Gay Pride, but when required he’ll break all his parties rules and embrace a traitor (provided the traitor is a muslim like Lutfur Rahman). It sickened me and my friends to see Tatchell in the photos smiling alongside that consumate opportunist. None of my left wing gay and lesbian friends from the 1980s will vote for him now. They’d never vote for the Tories as a party, but they will vote for Boris to keep Ken out – that’s how much Ken is despised.

1. wow, it took nearly three lines before you mentioned ‘muslims. I am impressed.

As I’ve said previously, politicians are there to appeal to as many people as they possibly can. After all, it is the majority who put them in power.

After all, if politicans merely supported one group of people they wouldn’t be very popular – or indeed be politicians.

8. HelenWilson 2 Jul 2011, 8:33pm

Given the way the two main parties used it as a political football I hope all of them stay away next year.

Lynne Featherstone is opening Sparkle in Manchester next week for the trans community.

1. Dan Filson 2 Jul 2011, 10:28pm

And you seriously think the LibDems are not using it as a political football too?! Claiming to be “delivering” on marriage equality when it is not yet delivered. Compared to Labour’s achievements, a “delivery” that is not yet “delivered” and indeed is still subject to government consultation is a chicken not yet hatched, or even conceived (no cock, no egg).

1. HelenWilson 2 Jul 2011, 11:05pm

Well the Lib Dems are doing what they always do and stay quiet and come out with some moralising claptrap to try and look above it all. Only one party has any real LGBT credentials and that’s the Greens.

2. Dan, Lynne Featherstone and the LlibDems have promised equal marriage by the 2015 general election. The consultation begins this month.

3. @Dan

The Libdems have been clear on their commitment to these issues – whereas elements in other parties have wavered. No political part should use equality as a political football – so saying that the libdems are (if that is true) does not correlate to other parties doing that being a satisfactory situation

4. Dan , the CP ACt was written by the lib dem Lord Lester, he stated then that he really wanted marriage for gays but accepted that the U.K may not be ready for it at that time…the intention was marriage back then and still is. The lib dems simply don’t have the numbers behind them, they can’t deliver marriage equality without the support of Labour or the Tories, neither party have officially come out in favour of it, which is appalling. Aren’t you being a bit harsh on the lib dems, given their numbers and their limited voting power, what do you expect of them?. I agree they’re being a bit slow pushing it forward and ideally I would like Lord Lester or someone to start writing a bill and putting Labour and the Tories on the spot….The consulution is far too open ended…

9. Julian Morrison 2 Jul 2011, 11:15pm

When you see politicians (other than honest supporters) on a march, it means they think it is harmless and vaguely positive to be seen at. Good after you’ve won. Bad if you’re still fighting, it means you don’t worry them.

10. I haven’t been to Pride today for the first time in many years.

First of all I must say, even though I follow PinkNews every day, I only found out that Pride was on today, when a friend mentioned it to me yesterday. There hasn’t been a single mention of it on PinkNews other than mentioning that LGBTories wanted Livingstone banned from it but even in that article no date was mentioned.

The fact that even PinkNews didn’t think of mentioning that the main Pride event in the UK was on this weekend until it actually happened is quite telling of how I think a lot of people perceive the event.

When I found out yesterday I discussed it with my partner and we decided not to go because it never really feels like a political event but more like a party and I wasn’t in the mood to go to a party today. LGBT people in the UK, luckily for us, have it pretty good (especially compared to what goes on not so far from these shores) and obviously don’t feel the need to demonstrate.

1. I know things are not perfect but I doubt an event like Pride could make a difference in that sense.

Personally, the issue I’m more passionate about is same-sex marriage. I admire what Peter Tatchell is doing in the ECHR and if this had been a march for same-sex marriage like we see so many in the US I would definitely have gone. But people are not angry enough to demonstrate in this country and any LGBT demonstration I’ve been to here has about 50 people. Yet a million people go to Pride, dress up and pose for passers-by. I guess I just don’t feel that’s my kind of scene because I don’t think going to a party that moves down Regent Street in a colourful parade will do much for same-sex marriage or any other other issues that concern LGBT people.

I have nothing against it, but I see it as just a party and talking about it as though it were politically meaningful sounds to me like being in denial.

1. Staircase2 3 Jul 2011, 1:09am

‘Pride’ was hijacked and derailed several years ago when the main factions were trying to carve our bigger pieces of the pie.
        The March which was originally political was being pushed towards being a ‘Parade’ like Sydney’s Mardi Gras or all the countless American clone ‘show off’ parades rather than having any serious political intent.
        The festival was hijacked by Pink business and big business and they started charging tickets.
        Within 3 years the whole thing had collapsed because of how badly people had been treated.
        It was fairly recently resurrected as a quasi-political event but I and most of my contemporaries haven’t been for a long time.
        It feels like its now just Soho Pride squashed head onto the national London Pride. As I understand it people can’t even move in Soho afterwards due to the crowds.

1. Staircase2 3 Jul 2011, 1:15am

I must say, its a nonsense to have a national Pride event where (according to Radio News reports I’ve heard today) only 80,000 people turn out.
          Before it was devastated by Pink greed and corporate and committee power basing, Pride regularly pulled in 100-200,000 people from all over the UK, Europe and the rest of the world.
          Something has gone seriously wrong with the event for it to now be so dis-empowered.
          Although I do think its headed back on the right track in terms of ousting the Pink Greed Pound-pullers and concentrating on the notion of a free celebration.
          Pride was originally a rite of passage for many LGBTQI people – it was a travesty when they introduced a paid-for ticketed event. Just like its a travesty that Brighton has now done the same and is walking down the same ridiculously greedy and short-sighted road.

1. EDL Supporter 4 Jul 2011, 2:30pm

Your figures of 200,000 people coming to previous Gay Pride events are pure fantasy. Back in the 1980s we were lucky to get 3,000. When it went from being a (political) Gay Pride March to being a (non-political) Gay Pride Carnival, then the numbers increased massively. But never to heights you are claiming.
            This Parade was tedious and sparsely populated – there were probably 10 times as many gay people along the route watching as were on the “parade”. It’s become a stage-managed corporate event (Battersea Dogs Home had a float).
            The London Gay Pride Parade is a bit of an embarrassment now. Take it through Tower Hamlets — now that would be political and interesting. Or even Brixton. Back in the 1980s people spat at us on those marches.
            On Saturday I had an old straight man ask me “why do they even bother”, to which I could only reply “I’ve no idea”. Most of the tourists were as much changed by the experience as they would be by the changing of the guards

2. @EDLSupporter

For your information the recorded official figures by the Metropolitan Police as recorded in coverage in The Guardian and The Times (as well as Gay Times) for the following years at London Pride was:

1992 – in excess of 100,000
            2006 – approximately 600,000

3. I agree completely.

11. Maybe they have moved with the times and realised that this event is outdated and dont want to be linked with such a load of nonsense.

12. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2011, 7:27am

Personally, I couldn’t care less if politicans turn up or not.
    What I care about is if those that need to hear the message, hear it!

1. John Meados 3 Jul 2011, 10:42pm

a few days ago you were singing the praises of the now absent idiot Boris Johnson and saying you were going to vote for him. Now that he has proved himself to be a faker you go all apolitical. interesting.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2011, 7:43am

That makes no sense at all John.

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2011, 7:48am

How does Boris not doing Pride make him a faker?
          How does Boris not doing Pride suddenly make me apolitical?

That comment is absolute nonsense.
          It doesn’t change how I am voting and I think it’s a tad immature to think like that.

Boris is still Very much getting my vote.
          How he decides to spend Pride is no concern of mine, I went, briefly, as did approx a million others.
          Not something that can be ignored no matter how much you may want to try.

1. you’ve said that you would never vote for ken livingston, the only major politician bothered to attend the pride, one can only gather, from your previous gashings about boris, that you would happily vote for the clown
            ….
            then u go on to say
            ‘…How he (boris) decides to spend Pride is no concern of mine…’
            So why are we having this discussion at all if you are not interested in politicians attending the pride

2. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2011, 11:35am

Can 1 million people be ignored kane? Can politicans ignore 1 million people in the same why Blair did over the Iraq war?

On this matter no they can’t.
            When we have more people supporting LGBT Pride, it’s community and it’s rights than those for The Pope during his visit, I doubt anyone can ignore it.
            So no, it doesn’t matter how many politicans turn up or don’t, the message it there for all to see.

On Ken….
            No I won’t vote for a man who openly invites Extremist Preacher who then wish us as a community dead while Ken says nothing.

I won’t vote for a man who broke ranks with his party to help campaign for a homophobic group and it’s mayor, which was itself bulit on corruption.

No I won’t vote for a man who sees nothing wrong in working for a country’s TV in which that said country hangs people for being Gay, whilst still insisting he did nothing wrong.

3. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2011, 11:35am

The list goes on but one thing is for sure, with so the LGBT community making up so many Londoners it’s not surprising Ken Livingstone wants to ‘court’ our vote.
            it’s just a shame he doesn’t stand up for us when he invites those who wish us dead.

No I won’t be voting for a man who waves a freedom flag while sucking on the teat of Muslim Extremists

4. ‘….it doesn’t matter how many politicans turn up or don’t, the message it there for all to see…’

I think you agree that that message wasnt for all to see, since non of the uk main media run a coverage of the event on the day and maybe the fact that no one of the ruling elite was bothered to take part in the pride was the reason for media black out.

5. ken is not perfect but unlike boris the clown has a proven track record in supporting lgbt rights, ken also supports other minorities like muslims so perhaps some of his decisions can be seen controversial, im sure muslims also complain about his support for lgbt, u just cant please everybody.
            now, what boris did for lgbt????

6. Jock S. Trap 5 Jul 2011, 8:14am

Yep, your right kane, Ken is why to devisive.
            I prefer London for Londoners, the way Boris provides.

Your comment makes me more convinced voting Boris next May is the right thing to do.

13. On the “politician count”, I saw Chris Bryant MP in the parade

14. “Tory MP James Brokenshire…. due to speak on the main stage in Trafalgar Square this afternoon.”

Is this by any chance the same James Brokenshire who has a record of voting very strongly against gay rights?

1. Gerry, thanks for the Link, very interesting. It does look like, (to use the Whips turn of phrase), very strong hypocrisy, so to speak

2. He has only voted on two pieces of gay rights legislation. Sexual orientation regulations and the ‘need for a father’ for fertility treatment. I would of voted in favour of there needing a father figure and I am gay and he was very wrong to vote against the sexual orientation regulations. However, it looks like his views may have changed, we should welcome this and encourage him.

Well done James for attending Pride.

15. So called Pride; as with life in general these days; is ONLY now for the young, beautiful, healthy and wealthy.
    The rest may aswell **** off and die (off Beachy Head or some such). The Tories, deliberately aided and abetted by the LD’s and NeoCon Labour; incl the lgbt ones; are re asserting the ‘divine right to rule’ principles. They’d bring back slavery and workhouses (see China’s Ipad factories and empire building in East Africa for examples )if they could- indeed in my view that’s their ultimate aim, it’s ‘just good business’ after all…

1. From the pics I have seen on the media of Pride – there were definitely many people who were there who were neither young nor beautiful …. There will certainly have been poor and ill people as well ….
      Not quite sure that Pride is a place to use to hang your extreme left wing views … but your opening comment is certainly inaccurate

1. gino meriano 4 Jul 2011, 3:00pm

Pride over the years has proved itself to be nothing other than a Mardi Gras and has lost sight of the real meaning behind why it was there in the first place.

Its a shame and thats one of the reasons why you find so many dont support it, including companies and leaders.

To be heard is one thing but you need people to listen and if they dont support your simply shouting.

Its either about Human Rights/Equal Rights or simply and party where people get drunk, appear half naked and parade around.

How does anyone expect anyone do take our fight for rights seriously when all Pride presents is a shag fest and the very few that try are outnumbered by the masses simply wanting a “Gay Day”

Bring back Pride

1. I have to agree, how can the gay community expect to be taken seriously when they appear half naked or innapropriatly addressed and parade around.

Why not just wear jeans and a t shirt and march, no placecards, just walk normally to show people that gay people as just like any other person, why does it have to have al the nonses and be sexually motivated.

I think you would be surprised by the positive support if Pride lost the tacky image of floats, and naked, half dressed people.

Not only is it wrong, its embarrassing and sends the wrong message to the very people that want to accept us and support us.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jul 2011, 10:24am

James – Do you also think that for the Nottinghill Carnival too?

Are all those fantastic outfits deemed to be not good enough and plump instead for them wearing jeans and a T-shirt?

What about all those children dressing up too? tut

All then floats, food, music.
            Is it wrong to celebrate community and culture?

I don’t think so.

Get your head out of the 18th Century sewer.

We have a community that is well worth celebrating, if your so unhappy with being seen as Gay surely thats your look out but stop trying to make everyone go back into the closet with you.

16. radical53 5 Jul 2011, 6:37am

Pride is NOT a political event is so true. why is it that pollies have to spoil our event. I do not support pollies in any gay event, however they support us. Sydney Mardi Gras is the same. They don’t belong in these events. A lot more could be said in regards to this issue.

17. I was also at NYC Pride and I couldn’t believe the support by politicans in the March. Governor Commo, got the biggest support and cheer as he walked down 5th Avenue and well rightly so.