Soho bomber David Copeland loses appeal over sentence

1. Ian Bower 1 Jul 2011, 1:52pm

Thank goodness!

2. HelenWilson 1 Jul 2011, 1:57pm

He should have a whole life tariff

1. If he lives long enough to be considered for parole then it will be interesting to see if the parole board consider he shows any remorse …. otherwise he can not be released

2. EDL Supporter 2 Jul 2011, 6:45am

Life tariff? People like him should hang until they are dead. I see no merit in keeping them alive, none at all.

1. And I see no merit in doing to him what he tried to do to others. The death penalty is no deterrent.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jul 2011, 12:21pm

Normally I’d say the same but in dead certs like this why should the taxpayer have to fund them?

1. I am reluctant to accept the death penalty as an aceptable penalty ….

I can see its attraction in extraordinarily horrific events such as this. I accept in this case it is a dead cert – but would they said the same about the Birmingham pub bombers?

I think the death penality weakens society and actually reduces us to the level of the murderer.

2. Spanner1960 6 Jul 2011, 7:36pm

I disagree. It would certainly deter him of harming anybody else. On top of that, why should I as a taxpayer pay to keep him fed and clothed for the rest of his life? The man is below algae, and should be eliminated.

2. Agreed , i don’t want my tax keeping him in a luxurious holiday camp prison. And if we cleansed our nation of this filth like him, that would solve the criteria concerning not enough prison places and solve the pathetic light sentencing culture for heinous crimes in the uk.

3. What an ugly remorseless looking face, almost makes you want to believe in the concept of Evil!

3. Good. Let him rot.

4. What is the point of someone receiving 6 life sentences being told they can apply for parole after 30 years. How many people die aged 30? That isn’t a lifetime and is nowehere near 6 lifetimes!

At least the right decision was made here. This man packed a bomb full of nails, carefully positioned it in a long, narrow bar so that it would have the maximum impact and callously walked away; hoping that it would kill as many as possible. He should never be released, there would be no benefit to society.

1. Martin Lawrence 1 Jul 2011, 2:38pm

Just a technical point: he wasn’t found guilty whilst still in the womb, so a 30 year term is not going to end when he’s 30. A 50 year term is to al intents and purposes whole-life, since he’ll be 80-odd then eligible for parole.

1. Potentially eligible for parole, its a minimum term on a life sentence, where remorse and public safety considerations (amongst others) have to be considered by the parole board

5. martyn notman 1 Jul 2011, 2:19pm

is it really 12 years ago? blimey how time flys. He deserves a lot longer behind bars, theres more than enough homophobia, racism and anti-islam feeling out there as is without letting this nutjob out.

6. Jock S. Trap 1 Jul 2011, 2:26pm

He should rot in jail!
    End of.

7. I’m choked to hear he would have the gall to even think of getting out. I was there that day and missed a nail in the head by seconds…. it still stays with me today, as it does for the hundreds of others there that sunny Friday afternoon. Hate gets you nowhere.
    To think that much hate can lead to that much violence makes me literally sick. As was posted around soho that day – “you can’t kill us all”. Rot nazi scum. Rot with your cold nazi hate beliefs. Glad we lock up violent nazi scum here.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 1 Jul 2011, 8:50pm

I have to say even now my reaction is similar to yours. My throat tightens whenever I read something about that horrible night, as the images and thoughts of what he did go through my head.

I cannot imagine the suffering of those people trapped in the bar, and I cannot imagine how any person could hate so much that they would want to do such a thing to a group of people he had neither met, nor even knew.

He is a disgusting piece of filth and I wish him ever malice thinkable. I hope he has a very long and very tortured life in prison – he deserves no kindness.

8. Bill (Scotland) 1 Jul 2011, 2:54pm

A sound decision.

1. I agree – the judges made the right decision to dismiss the appeal

9. He’s nothing more than a terrorist in my view, let him rot in jail. Remember when we used the word “gaol”? Shows how old I am.

1. Nothing wrong with age. A lot of us about. If we had more ‘gaol’ and less ‘jail’ their would be a lot less thugs about.

10. Another Hannah 1 Jul 2011, 3:42pm

Humane Euthanasia I think, and use the money saved to provide the not currently provided treatment, but could be if afforded to genuinely deserve it. Too much humanity for criminals in this country not enough for everyone else.

11. Good. Let the bastard rot.Nice to see even Judges can occasionally get things right

12. Honestly why does this sub human animal think he deserves any parole whatsoever.
    I hope prison is hell for him and since he’s sort of pretty, lets hope he’s being passed around as a major sex toy by the big guys.

13. who paid for all this appeal and his legal team? What a complete and utter waste of money on a piece of scum.

Thank god his going to stay locked up – and let hope for a VERY long time yet

dan

14. If he was out he’d be in the EDL

1. @James!

On that you are quite possibly right

2. I think he’s more combat 18 tbh.

1. Or possibly even more extreme than that, Eddy two …

15. What a farcical waste of state resources. ‘Appeal’? And why is this oxygen thief given the hope of parole at all? He should consider himself lucky to be still alive and unmaimed, unlike his poor victims. Hang the bastard and be done with it.

16. Edwin in Colorado 2 Jul 2011, 12:30am

Instead of giving him life sentences they should execute him. Now the sentenct he got is something thr U.S. does. My opionion the U.S. needs to get rid of a few that are in our prisons.

17. Robert (Kettering) 2 Jul 2011, 2:32pm

I only hope he’s been getting lots of attention in the showers from the bigger guys in jail! Deep down I’m sure that his homophobia is deeply rooted in questions marks about his own sexuality. Just like those homophobic religious nut jobs we often hear about who often turn out to be repressed Gay men only in this case he went over the top.

18. lady tanya 3 Jul 2011, 6:12am

good on the courts to say no to him
    let him rot and die in there then burn his ass and no plack to say who he was

19. EDL Supporter 3 Jul 2011, 6:51pm

He is unlikely to do it again, he doesn’t pose a threat. Almost doubling his sentence is a political gesture, not justice.

1. Lets see if your still saying that if its your pregnant wife or daughter that gets killed. He killed an unborn child and its mother. Stick to heavy drinking and domestic violence. Ethics is obviously not your thing.

2. @EDL Supporter

It is a particularly extraordinary crime where he deliberately sought to both commit mass murder and provoke race riots and mayhem (his stated intention). If this is not a case to use the powers for the Appeal Court to uphold a high penalty in terms of minimum tarif then to be frank I don’t know what is, and it concerns me that you suggest this is a political stunt suggests a level of support for Copeland.

3. soapbubblequeen 5 Jul 2011, 4:38pm

Now what is the acronym EDL for again? Oh that’s right. Educationally-Defective Loonies, which you are, clearly.

4. soapbubblequeen 5 Jul 2011, 4:39pm

Good!!!

I hope this evil sick piece of filth never gets out. He deserves to die. And I hope he does soon.

20. In effect,the sentence of a minimum 50 years just fell short of a ‘full life’ tarriff! In countries such as America,where the debate on legal execution rages daily it is glaringly obvious that the death penalty does not act as a deterrent.In fact I am told that it actually costs more to execute an inmate than it does to keep him/her in prison for life! Executing someone does not serve justice,it simply relieves the prisoner of his/her penance! Copeland should know it is unlikely he’ll ever be released,as it should be.There will be flashes of divine light for him.He’ll never suddenly realise the horror of his deeds.He’s where he deserves to be.

1. ‘there will be NO flashes of divine light’ is what I actually meant!

21. Looked in a mirror lately, or can’t you afford one?

22. .Takes one to know one

23. Jock S. Trap 2 Jul 2011, 9:02am

LOL… that comment and coming from you… Hilarious!!

24. Its a pity David Copeland wasn’t more familiar with it when he detonated his bombs. Deep down my feeling is it wouldn’t be right to execute him, but I have to say in Copeland’s case I would be okay to principles to one side. He deserves no more compassion and sympathy than he gave his victims. He destroyed many lives, not only the ones he killed. Countless others must carry on through live with atrocious injuries that he inflicted. I am sure the only remorse he shows is remorse that he didn’t kill and maim more.

David Copeland deserves to suffer in the same way he made others suffer.

May people plant bombs to kill and injury but the packing a device full of rusty nails and detonating it in a confined space he knew would be full of people is I think one of the most horrendous acts imaginable. He knew, I have no doubt, the devastating effect on those close to the explosion, that a bomb packed full of rusty nails would cause as they were propelled into soft tissue as huge velocity

25. Rich, when exactly did you read it?

26. Funny how you suddenly come over all compassionate about a homophobic mass-murderer, Rich.
    That said, I have always been against the death penalty. But Copeland must never be released. Ever.

27. I think they have changed Richs medication …

28. Its proof that one monkey with a keyboard won’t write Shakespeare.

As if an ape like Rich would ever read the Declaration of Human Rights, let alone understand it.

29. Riondo, exactly
    What does that really say about Rich

30. Mr.Parsons 17 Sep 2011, 2:37pm

Like Ian Brady, he’s being held in a “special hospital” (Broadmoor)
    and also like Brady he is never going to be released or be aloud to kill himself. If you read the chapter on “Ashworth Hospital” in Dr. Chris Cowleys’ book “Face to Face with Evil” you will understand that he is now locked in a living hell. Consider the rest of your life locked away in a place like that and you will see that it is a fitting punishment for the crimes he committed. I hope he lives to be 90 because his life effectively ended at the age of 22!