British gay policeman victim of homophobic attack in Slovenia

1. Hope Mr McNally recovers soon.

Could be an interesting test for Slovenian police (who are supposed to enshrine equality is their legislation – although their civil unions are some of the worst in terms of equality globally) in demonstrating that they will effectively investigate and for their judicial system to provide appropriate remedy for such barbaric acts

2. Jock S. Trap 25 Jun 2011, 2:18pm

Another shocking display of hatred.
    Such savages surely have no business being in a decent civilized society.
    Shameful and cowardly.

3. Come on now, this is over two weeks old! Or did you intentionally wait for our 20th birthday to report this? :D

4. Truly disgusting news. Hope this man gets justice.

& I’m not sure if any of you were aware of this, but a Marriage Equality bill stalled in the Slovenian Parliament in January and will not be passed now.

1. You’re mistaken. The bill has been passed a week or so ago and is currently waiting to survive the ballot challenge.
      It’s an equality in all but the name which is something the UK has now. Not bad for a Vatican province if you ask me.

1. Well no, The Marriage bill stalled, it’s just been replaced by a greater rights partnership bill.

1. No, there never was a Marriage bill per se. The first version of the new Family Code (which also codifies marriages) with complete equality has been revised due to pressure from the Christian Taliban to not include the name marriage but retain all the rights straight couples have. They also scrapped full adoption rights and replaced it with single adoption.

1. Dan Filson 26 Jun 2011, 1:55pm

Clearly james and Lucius know more about Parliamentary proceedings in Slovenia than the rest of us.

5. This is sadly another demonstration that some countries are not safe for gay people. It might be unfair to prejudge, but I can’t help being very skeptical as to just how much effort the Slovenian police will put into their “investigation”. Bear in mind that even here the Met’s “investigation” into the hate stickers in East London was at best half hearted.
    I want to be clear that I’m not blaming the victim. He is not responsible for the attack. However, we do need to be 100% aware of the risk of travelling to countries where homophobia is a way of life and pretty much sanctioned by the state. Do some research and spend your money in a country where human rights actually matter.

6. David you are so right, I would never visit one of these backward shi@holes, let alone spend any of my hard earned money there.

1. There are less homophobic incidents in the entire country than there are in London. Food for thought.
      Homophobia may be quietly sanctioned by political parties and the Church, but the majority would be too polite to react, especially when foreign guests are involved. This was just a band of people, compensating for their sack size. And theirs must be really small, seeing how they needed to arm themselves and only attack in a group of seven. Quite pathetic, when you think about it.

1. Well, there are also more open-minded people in the sh**hole, but as I said in my comment down below, Church is influential.

2. Dan Filson 26 Jun 2011, 1:57pm

@Lucius – you mean fewer RECORDED homophobic incidents. But do they have requirement to record such incidents? If not, your comparison is valueless.

1. I believe there are less incidents but they are far more savage and more organized than impulsive. This British individual had a misfortune of acknowledging his sexuality to strangers, which is a complete no-no here. If you blend in with the crowd, you won’t even get noticed, let alone harmed. It’s an accepted concession, deeply ingrained into the collective consciousness. I expect younger generations, together with dwindling church attendance to take care of this cultural rot.

7. martyn notman 25 Jun 2011, 3:24pm

strange place Slovenia- a bit of Balkan fire and a bit of teutonic ice, mixed up with far too much catholicism. Nice country though, and in general people are pretty decent- theres idiots and thugs everywhere.

8. Marriage and adoption equality bill passed here on 16/ 06/ 2011, but Catholics are calling for referendum. They’ve managed to acquire 30000 signatories. (in just three days!) Unless court rules the demand for a referendum unconstitutional, marriage equality won’t be accomplished, sadly.

Slovenia may be more tolerant than Croatia, Serbia, Russia, Ukraine, but we are sure not an example. I read forums, blogs, Facebook and see that on-line community is full of hate speech. Not just on-line community, as we see. Church is very influential. Catholics have their “civil group” leader, constantly claiming he’s not a bigot, yet the website of this “civil group” proves the contrary. On June 14th, he held a rally of over 1000 people, protesting against equality. So called “Shod radosti”, which could read “Rally of joy”. Rally of joy? Rally of hate.

Speedy recovery for Mr. McNally. As a resident of Ljubljana, I am saddened by this incident.

9. Just to add: And there won’t be even full adoption equality.Yet Christians don’t want any new step towards equal rights.

10. It seriously hacks me off when an entire nation can be villified for the actions of a handfull of thugs.London isn’t exactly the most gay-friendly ciy on th eplanet!

1. Staircase2 26 Jun 2011, 1:53am

Its called ‘Knee-jerk’ – it happens a lot on here (and in the Sun newspaper – and generally in the right-wing corridors of politics
      (some interesting research been done on it over the years – to do with the way the brain works apparently.)

2. Paul you’re my hero. I get a lot of hassle from a core roup on here if I mention that about London. We are tolerated here but never accepted.

1. First we need to accept diversity in ourselves.
        No one closeted or fearful can manage to support other or ask for acceptance.
        Nature favors bold ones. Regardless of gender or sexuality.
        Please manage our own anger and paranoia and the world will be a better place.

2. Aren’t you just doing the same though? Villifying London as others are villifying.

There are people who are willing to harm others everywhere – but then there are also steps that one should take to prevent themselves being put in harms way.

However, sometimes this is just unavoidable.

3. @James!

I think Paul’s initial comment that an entire nation should not be vilified by the actions of a small minority should stand equally with London.

Yes, there are episodes of homophobia – some of them appalling including murders (although this remains a very small number and gets huge publicity – as with all homicides). Yes – there are some examples of entrenched behavioural/cultural homophobia.

However, I know I am not alone in having had the most gay friendly welcome in any city I have ever been (perhaps with the exception of Auckland) in London.

As Lucius said earlier at least in London you can discuss your orientation. At least there is a leadership who (whether they believe it or not) are LGBT friendly in many of there public statements. At least we have a police force who do (sometimes) investigate hate crime effectively. At least we have an equality act. We have a gay scene that is busy and diverse. We have LGBT support groups etc etc

1. Amen (pr. Ahmen) to that, Stu!

4. @James!

As for hassle – if disagreeing with you is causing you hassle, then you don’t seem to understand the concept of debate.

3. Well, at a conservative estimate London is around 30 times the size of Ljubljana so comparisons aren’t really going to achieve much; but let’s see how this attack and its aftermath are dealt with by the police, that’ll be a useful indicator of the degree to which the nation and its authorities are homophobic (or not).

1. It doesn’t matter what the difference in the population numbers is when you look at the percentages. You can always adjust it proportionally.

How the police will deal with this has nothing to do with how homophobic the nation is, but with the ability of the police force to find the perpetrators and their overall efficiency, wouldn’t you say so? That’s precisely why I highly doubt they’ll ever find them. Not because of homophobia, but because of ineptitude. Also, no cameras everywhere like in London.

1. I know nothing about the efficiency of the Ljubljana police so I can only speculate about it; but I won’t be surprised if they turn out to be, shall we say, voluntarily inept in catching these perpetrators. I think the rigour with which laws to protect, or punish violence against, all citizens are enforced is indeed a good barometer of how homophobic a society is. As for percentages, well, you’d need incidents to be reported as homophobic in Slovenia in the first place, and I have no idea whether people there do so (or are able to) or not.

1. No, I still maintain it has nothing to do with professional integrity (keeping your beliefs separate from your work). That’s really not the issue of either our police force or the judiciary. The problem is the inability to locate a group of people in this small a country. Which probably boils down to a lack of resources, special training or both.

2. That’s a very interesting take, Lucius. When you say ‘we’ do you mean you’re Slovenian, or a Slovenian resident, yourself (as would be indicated by some of your other posts, I expect!)?
            I would have thought – and I may well be completely missing the point here – that it’d have been easier, rather than more difficult, to locate a group of violent thugs in a small country?

11. Rich (original) 26 Jun 2011, 3:58pm

Good news! But I would be more happy if he would die there!

1. We all love you Rich (original) and there is not much you can do about it.
      People like you need all the love and blessings we can manage to send their way.
      It is not always easy but this is the only way.
      One day Rich, one day you will be touched by love and then you will see.
      Bliss and bless of ignorance.

1. You know, slapping him around a couple of times would work just as well. He needs to feel that hard Christian love he preaches. Or is this one the Muslim impersonator? I get these trolls mixed up.

1. He gets mixed up himself Lucius…. sometimes he’s pretend English is his second language, sometimes its obviously it his first. Its probably someone we’ve seen before here, trying another low-brow tactic. Personally, I find him just an embarrassment to humanity.

1. Agreed, Will. Report him and ignore him, Lucius. He’s a sad, damaged individual. Don’t give him the attention he so obviously craves.

2. staircase2 27 Jun 2011, 3:32pm

reported

1. Rich's Dirty Mind 28 Jun 2011, 12:07am

I like winding Rich up because it’s fun to watch him go ping. It’s also telling about closet-case homos too; Rich is into Joe McElderry and now he’s into BDSM. Hope he looks good in leather though and not like a beached seal!

12. Chutneybear 27 Jun 2011, 10:04am

I wonder what provoked the attack did he kiss a bloke in the bar or come on to the lads in question or was it completely unprovoked? Wouldnt mind hearing a few more details. The lad didnt deserve it at all, hope he recovers. Am I going to be villified for asking the first question above? Alas I had a conversation with a friend yesterday, we should be able to hit on who we want and not tp suffer consequences, bit like the waay men hit on women. Flpas!

1. Chutneybear 27 Jun 2011, 10:05am

and when I say hit on I mean chat up!

1. A slap for being annoying is different then attack with metal bars.
        Chatting up is matter of “hit and miss” with politeness.
        Beating up someone is just criminal act.

1. Chutneybear 27 Jun 2011, 10:38am

That is my point,a lot of straight blokes would be like that,they would say “No thanks Im not interested” but some of them take offence by it, they somehow think it insinuates they are gay and is / or is an affront to their masculinity. Besides straight guys are worse than some of us gays for being complete mincers so its impossible to tell who is gay or not gay by looking at their actions!

1. There is never an excuse for violence.
            That is what I say, but inside sometimes I am griping metal bar myself. Even in gay bar :)

13. Wouldn’t ‘gay British policeman’ be better than ‘British gay policeman’? The way it’s currently phrased is very clumsy and makes it sound like ‘gay policeman’ is his job. I would have thought stuff like that was pretty elementary for professional journalists.

1. I don’t think professional journalists write these articles. Aren’t they more like contributors, like on HuffPost?

2. staircase2 27 Jun 2011, 3:35pm

There’s nothing wrong with it saying ‘gay British Policeman’ – it makes more sense – the other way round is a bit of a mouthful and actually is more like you were suggesting: that his job is a gay policeman…

1. So you agree with the poster or did you just type that too fast?

1. Staircase2 8 Jul 2011, 3:01am

oops – yeah!
          that should read: “there’s nothing wrong with it saying British Gay Policeman…..etc”
          …Well spotted…lol

3. I quite agree, Ivan – in fact I don’t quite know why his being a policeman needed to have been in the headline in the first place, since he was all too obviously on holiday.

14. Ollie mcnally 27 Jun 2011, 9:37pm

Thank you for all the positive comments. It was a life changing event. I would like to once again praise the professionalism and thoroughness of the Slovenian police and medical service. I can’t say anything negative. It’s a beautiful city and has lots to offer, I met some wonderful Slovenian people and was astounded at their friendliness. Unfortunately I met a very small minority but I cannot allow such idiots to spoil the name of Slovenia. I have said this to many people since the event. I would happily return there in the future. Thankfully there is great progress in the investigation and hopefully justice will be done in time.

1. Might sound insensitive but the thing that shocked me the most about the whole ordeal was that the British embassy failed to release a single statement condemning this. What the hell do those scroungers do all day? Weak, weak, weak…

1. Ollie mcnally 27 Jun 2011, 10:56pm

Very true I guess. I did speak to them and all very supportive and offered any assistance etc. But have not seen any press stuff from them. Meh.

2. That’s very good to know, I’m so glad you were well supported – it wasn’t particularly clear from the article.

15. Ollie mcnally 27 Jun 2011, 9:41pm

Oh I didn’t hit on anyone. I had been talking to a group of girls who the offenders either already knew or were hitting on. I think they passed on I was gay, went from there really. I am capable of talking to straight men without hitting on them.

1. Your attackers must be deeply, deeply insecure and resentful to react with such violence for such unbearably trivial reasons. I’d have thought if they twigged you’re gay they would have been relieved (not to have competition) – to turn to violence in such circumstances is depressingly barbaric.

1. I agree. Their entire sense of security and power is relegated to the group. An infantile behaviour that most of us leave behind in childhood. Tribalism at its worst.
        The second episode of the new True Blood showed an anti-vampire protester with a poster, saying: “He’s not *just* like us”. What a brilliant insight into these bigoted people! I bet the savages used the exact same reasoning for the attack.

1. Staircase2 8 Jul 2011, 3:03am

eh?

16. ”In 2006, Slovenia introduced civil partnerships but the law prohibits couples from having friends and family present. Only the couple and the registrar can be present.”

Wow, how do you come up with this stuff?!

You can see footage from the first same-sex couple registration in Slovenia here:

There were quite a few friends and LGBT activists present, taking pictures.

I sometimes get the feeling that in Western European, and especially British media, reports about what’s going on in ex-Communist/Socialist countries are still influenced by the 1950’s anti-Communist propaganda and brainwashing, when rumours about the Communists eating children were being spread.

And if the media are doing such a bad job, it is no wonder you get ignorant reader comments like the ones here.

Well, greetings from Slovenia!

1. I cringed at that bit as well. Though I doubt it’s down to being malicious – the younger generations in Britain may still think we all milk cows here for our living but I’ve never really detected that hardcore McCarthyist demonisation of socialism that you mentioned.

No, this is just the usual journalistic sloppiness. Who cares whether the facts are correct when the paragraph looks oh so appealing!

1. Staircase2 8 Jul 2011, 3:05am

That just shows how out of touch you are with Britain then ! lol

‘younger generations’ don’t even know where milk comes from – let alone what a cow looks like! lol
        Dont you watch Jamie Oliver’s shows?! lol