Graham Norton and Alan Carr win new £4m chatshow deals

1. Alan Carr should change the name of his show. Chatty man is obviously too much like batty man – a term commonly used by homophobes in Jamaica.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 1:04pm

OMG
      Another one who sees something in nothing.

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:07pm

It was a deliberate play on words by him

2. Are you on smack? you just made me laugh out loud.

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 4:58pm

He should consider changing the name of the show to that.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 1:03pm

Whoopie do.

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 2:01pm

Wa-Hay!

3. Excellent!
    They both make me laugh so much!

No doubt, someone will come along accusing these two of creating negative stereotypes of gays on TV…

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:07pm

They do.

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 5:05pm

They don’t create them, but the absence from our screens of people like Ben Cohen leads to the assumption that we are all similar. I guess soap operas go some way to balancing that.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 5:14pm

Ben Cohen is indeed a great role model and a champion of Gay Rights too but you do realised he is a straight married man do you?
          Not that it matters, add more quality :), but just responding to the assumption comment.

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 6:30pm

Oh no, I’m gutted.

2. Jock S. Trap 25 Jun 2011, 9:26am

It does make him more appealling though!! ;)

3. He is certainly appealing and not just his looks and unattainability – but the fact he seems to genuinely get equality

4. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 2:06pm

Being camp and voluble is really worth megabucks these days. Norton is good though. Lily Savage, or Paul something as she calls herself these days, and Chatty Man not so much though.

Now if we could just have a gay Bear Grylls on TV as well, maybe that nice rugby player Ben Cohen, that would really challenge stereotypes.

5. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:21pm

Norton “… was keen to finalise a new deal before the BBC suffers further cuts” I’ll bet he was! At a time when the BBC is strapped for cash, I consider the money paid to him to be excessive and unnecessary. We can have presenters who are funny and fun, for a good deal less; and we can have ones who are gay without being part of the long line of camp over-the-top stereotypes who play right into the hands of the homophobic gallery

1. burningworm 25 Jun 2011, 2:10pm

It is too easy to call Norton a stereotype. The fact that you think his ‘act’ his ‘performance’ plays into the hands of the homophobic galley suggests what? That we are to appear as drones and clones of heteros. You want to see a boring plain faced, gleaming teethed ‘man’ who plays rubgy but makes love to his husband? Or a indistinguishable man, or?

This is entertainment. The nation had benny hill, carry on… varities show. The entire industry is on the backs of a certain type of display. And a broadcaster chases ratings.

For me it is about display in the way a peacock prances around and awaits the gays’ of envy.

6. The Grahame Norton show is ridiculously funny. I remember the episode with Adele, Jack Whitehall and Miranda Hart had me in stitches, so I’m very happy it’s getting renewed. I’ve never really been a massive fan of Chatty Man though, I think Carr is more suited to stand up than a chat show.

7. Why are these two being paid seriously obscene amounts of money?! Yes,arguably they are both funny men,but I ask you,what’s wrong with just paying them a sensible salary? It’s not like either of them are saving lives or going into a war-zone!

1. Paddyswurds 24 Jun 2011, 8:49pm

@Paul….
      ….they get that sort of money because that is what they are worth on the open market.With the thousands of stations available today these people are in huge demand. You pay the asking price for everything else in life, why not your entertainment. Graham Norton is probably one of the most in demand entertainers on telly today and the big hitter stars are lining up to be on his show. The Americans are especially keen to be on his show as is evidenced by how frequently people like Dustin Hoffman are on.

8. Oh my God, I was just rejoicing in the news of Buju Banton being banged up for ten years and now I read THIS?!?! What have we done to suffer these two monstrous caricatures of gaydom until 2014?!?!

9. No, these two clowns are not funny, they are puerile. Subtle difference but true nonetheless.

10. rightcharlie 24 Jun 2011, 4:46pm

Good luck to them; I’d be a good chat show host, as would lots of regular gay folk I know – but the audience can’t handle normal gays – so think the program makers, they’ve still gotta be camp and lispy.
    we accept it but really it’s quite insulting…I’d piss on ‘em…

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 5:14pm

I think you might get fired if you pissed on someone while you were hosting a talkshow. Though to be fair I think this did feature on Norton before he moved to prime time, when he accessed a webcam of a woman with that speciality to the delight or horror of his guests.

11. What a waste of our Liscence paying money….4 million quid for what….there shows are always on late….so who watches
    them….plus Alan Carr…is from Northampton…that place does not even have a decent gay bar…..lol

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 6:35pm

Obviously no one from Northampton deserves to be paid 4 million quid, but have you not heard of iPlayer or video recorders?

1. im not from Northampton ….so dont know what you mean…im from London….lol

12. No problem with them being camp be what u feel comfortable with I ain’t the straightest bloke in the gay bar but tho they do piss me off no end

1. Actually more Alan Carr than Graham Norton Graham Nortons commentry for eurovision was hilarious

2. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 6:39pm

Why?

1. Paddyswurds 24 Jun 2011, 9:01pm

@……
        ….none more bitter and twisted than a jealous queen. I’m guessing most of you are sitting weeping into your keyboards while on benefits. Good luck yo Graham Norton, Paul O’Grady and Alan Carr; it’s great to see talented gay men on primetime telly. Shows how far we have come in the last 25 years. By the wy has anyone noticed how they are either Irish or of Irish descent to a man. Starnge that and more power to their elbow.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Jun 2011, 11:34pm

Graham Nortons show tonite was hilarious, a classic. The red chair particularly so.

13. martyn notman 24 Jun 2011, 9:01pm

love them both, but graham needs to have two guests maximum per show- the one on the far end is pointless most weeks. And the red chair has had its day!

1. The 3rd guest is always a comedian, just in case the 2 real celebrities are boring as hell.

14. Over paid! Thousands are losing their jobs to government cuts and these two muppets are getting paid a fortune to host crappy TV shows. Wonderful!

15. I find them both funny at times. I like Nortons Eurovision (albeit not as much as Wogan). I find them both intensely annoying at times. Carr certainly has the wrong vehicle now – when he worked with Justin the some gelled much better, it often feels uncomfortable now (when I watch it). I am not convinced they are worth millions.

1. Paddyswurds 25 Jun 2011, 1:13pm

@Stu …
      ….”I am not convinced they are worth millions” …….. their ratings say otherwise, especially Graham Nortons and that is what matters to the bean counters. I can’t think of anyone else that could replace Graham in that time slot on a Friday nite and draw the same audience numbers. Carr is more suited to standup circuits.

1. @Paddyswurds
        I fully accept to the bean counters that may well be the case.
        I just don’t see that Norton, Carr, and many other celebrities / sports stars are worth (in some cases) one hundred times the annual salary of a junior doctor, paramedic, police sergeant, teacher, senior nurse, junior prosecutor, senior prison officer etc or two hundred times a junior nurse, council administrator, trainee social worker etc.