Transgender woman banned from using Poole stadium toilets

1. Andrew Wells 23 Jun 2011, 3:57pm

I think it’s horrible that she even has to go to the trouble of getting a letter from her doctor to prove that she’s transitioning. This is why we need unisex toilets!!!

1. Red Gosans 23 Jun 2011, 5:04pm

Not merely in the the process of transitioning – she’s fully transitioned and has been for 20 years, according to the article. That she had to go through such demeaning treatment is terrible!

1. Andrew Wells 24 Jun 2011, 12:59am

Oh whoops, my bad. But it’s still horrible in any case.

1. hi troy

2. We can’t have unisex toilets! Silly idea.

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:25pm

Why not. Women can walk past the guys at the urinals to the one or two stalls and queue. Or, we can have nothing but stalls and restore privacy to urination.

2. All respect to Victoria Saxe-Coburg for taking on the fight. It must take great courage to go public this way, I’m sure many women either lack the means or don’t feel that they can do it. And everyone who feels that they can takes another bite out of the discriminatory practices that still persist in this country. I suspect that this case will hinge on who will have to pay the bill, and there is going to be a bill. To this day, I still don’t understand the bathroom hysteria. No one is getting in the damned cubicle with you and I suspect that whoever complained is utterly deluding herself. Just be respectful, accept that people have chosen the right door for themselves, leave them alone – they will leave you alone, do your business and shut the hell up. And to a degree, I suppose that I do understand where Ms Saxe-Coburg is coming from. I’m a very butch-looking lesbian and I have been followed in to the ladies room by security personnel before.

1. Chutneybear 23 Jun 2011, 4:17pm

Valksy sorry to hear that, I think for femenine men its easier probably not to get caught up in using the gents but for women if butch it can be a lot harder. I wonder what is wrong with the world today,what happened to VS Coburg is awful, injustice. Poole Pirates should be thinking seriously about the issue, are they vicariously responsible for equality? Fingers crossed she gets somewhere and Valksy, chin up hun!

P

1. Cheers Chutney. I honestly would not dream of comparing my experience to Ms Saxe-Coburg’s, what happened to her was despicable. Whether Poole Pirates are the ones who have to pay depends on the nature of the contract they have with the stadium I suppose. I see this as being one of many test cases in the next 18-24 months to finalise the Equality Act 2010 in to case precedent. I see Ms Saxe-Coburg as winning this, rightly so. The quantity of damages will also indicate some precedent. Poole Pirates and/or the stadium should have settled out of court, it is going to cost them. Let this be a lesson learned.

3. Victoria Saxe-Coburg should lay a charge of discrimination with the police. What she endured is nothing less than sexual harrassment. It’s disgusting.

1. Honestly, it is a civil matter. And the punishment for those who did it at civil court will be far more painful than a fine and slap on the wrist. Defending a court case of this nature costs thousands, before damages are awarded. When we see that people who verbally abuse GLBTQ people in the street, or put up stickers with hateful messages, get fines in the hundreds, I’m preferring the civil remedy. Hit them where it really hurts.

4. OrtharRrith 23 Jun 2011, 4:19pm

Disgusting! Like any trans-person goes into the toilets to attack people! Trans people are more afraid of other people in the toilets then those people are of them!! I know that I am – it doesn’t stop me, but I am aware of who else is in there and weither or not they pay any untowards attention to my being there.

I sincerly hope that Victoria is able to pursue this and that the law fully supports her – it should do as I beleive this may come under the refusal of goods and/or services to people based upon their gender identity (which is illegal)

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:27pm

“the law fully supports her – it should do” – I think you are right, but it is wrong that this shifts the onus to her instead of having her rights without having to challenge for them.

5. It is at times like this that I start to think that LulzSec may have the right idea – something like spamming the people responsible with emails. (I have no idea how to set up a DDOS attack).

I will go away now, have a cup of tea and calm down.

6. The people responsible for ensurting fair treatment of spectators would be the security staff, the people who hired them and the stadium owners. Poole Pirates should not bear responsibility BUT they should have responded better than saying “the club only leases the stadium and our own staff were not involved”. Anyone who puts on an event for the public has a responsibility to ensure that the public receive fair treatment and are safe, as they are providing a service to the public. Ms Saxe-Coburg was made to feel unsafe and could potentially have been unsafe (being outed in public is no joke).

7. Heather Scott 23 Jun 2011, 5:32pm

What would they have said if she had pulled out ID and said “I was born female you jack a**”. It’s not like they checked under her skirt first!

8. Well we can’t have drag queens in the men’s bogs so they’ll have to use the ladies. At least they have private cubicles and no urinals.

1. She isn’t a drag Danny, try reading the story.

1. that should have read “she isn’t a drag queen” – stupid laptop!

9. HelenWilson 23 Jun 2011, 8:26pm

Being transgender is a protected characteristic under the equality act, it is illegal for the stadium to deny her goods or services. Toilets are services so she has a good claim for discrimination under the equality act 2010……If I was Victoria Saxe-Coburg, I would be contacting the equality and human rights commission, its just the sort of case the would take on.

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:31pm

OK, so that’s the procedure but no doubt there’ll be a quick settle out of court once the writs start flying OR there will be spurious allegations of her making a scene etc which have to be, but with difficulty post facto after the crowds have dispersed, disproved.

2. hmmm…a toilet probably ISN’T a service (unless you were paying for it). However, attending the stadium IS a service and refusing to provide adequate toilet facilities mean that the entire stadium service is discriminatory.

jane
      xx

10. I hope she sues them. This is blatant discrimination.

11. Queen Victoria 24 Jun 2011, 12:43am

I am not amused.

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:32pm

We, surely?! Do not forget you are a queen!

12. Dawn Manning 24 Jun 2011, 1:39am

I was so enraged by this I have done some research on the subject. It looks as if Victoria has every reason to say she has had her Human Rights Abused. Certainly in the first instance by the Security staff of the Stadium. And then again by Poole Pirates. Whether she has any claim is a moot point. However what I did find on the Press for Change website is something called the FREDA principle. Whereby you have 5 core values namely

1 Fairness
    2 Respect
    3 Equality
    4 Dignity
    5 Autonomy.

And if you feel there has been a failure in one of these principles, potentially you can ask the courts for a change in policy and practice, or you may be able to claim damages if you have suffered a financial loss.

Also It looks as if they could help check if she has a valid claim as they have Legal Advisors who can help.
    so here is the link for Press for Change website it is

So Victoria good luck with your claim.

13. Felix Garnet-Simister 24 Jun 2011, 1:43am

The operators have broken the law and Ms Saxe-Coburg needs to see a solicitor about taking legal action against the club. The fact that the stadium is leased toa third party is irrelevant.

1. Not really (in terms of seeing a solicitor). first off, the damages for an incident like this are unlikely to be great.

Second, starting an action under the Equality Act can be done WITHOUT a solicitor and for as little as £30. Ergo, she should simply start the action and then, if the club is unwilling to talk turkey, employ a sol to pursue the matter.

People are far too quick to employ lawyers…in many matters.

jane
      xx

14. Welcome to Pune

15. How did they know she was a transgender?

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:33pm

Adam’s apple, stubble perhaps? Do these disappear with transition?

1. Hey Dan, she looks like Johnny Vegas in a wig and make-up, but plenty of genetic women look a lot worse. The stadium staff we’re being dickheads plain and simple.

1. Agreed i have trans stunning female friend who has a sorta deep voice and i guess looks too glamourous and dress’s very sexy to be genetic english woman, usually has straight men lusting after her, but has had problems with some women and was asked to leave bar once in my company so this persons image is irrelevant as its basically just any excuse to discriminate and attempt to humiliate.. stadium staff were breaking the law , need sacking immediately , they tried to enforce active discrimination.

2. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 7:44pm

reported………
          This is Transphobic and completely rude – the poor woman should not have to go thru this on this site as well as the outrageous behaviour she endured at the stadium.

16. This is tricky….

Yes she is a woman and it is a horrible thing to have to go through HOWEVER she was not asked to use the mens.

While unfair perhaps be mindful of peoples attitudes no matter how out-dated.

She should be allowed to use the female toilets but she wasn’t made to use the mens.

The main problem was the way it was handled.

1. OrtharRrith 24 Jun 2011, 1:38pm

Not she should be allowed to use the female toilets, she IS allowed to use the female toilets. Denying her the right to use the female toilets on the grounds of her transgender status is actually against the law.
      Yes they way it was handled is an issue, BUT the main problem was the fact that her using the female toilets was concidered an issue at all.
      Yes they humiliated her, yes they drew untoward attention to Victoria which could easily have put her in danger – either from abuse or worse, yes the statium and the team did not handle the situation very well at all when the complaint was made by Victoria, but the main issue is that some member of the Stadium staff thought that they could stop her from using the female toilets in the first place.
      I don’t go into toilets thinking “is there anyone around who might take offense, perhaps I should wait until I get home or use the disabled loos”.
      r

1. OrtharRrith 24 Jun 2011, 1:40pm

CONT:
        Maybe, just maybe; people should instead be mindful of the fact that the only reason any transperson would be going into the loos, and that is to actually use the loo!!!

People need to grow up and generally speaking mind their own business.

1. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 7:45pm

Agreed. Well said

17. Unfortunately, this is the one thing we as transsexual women have to put up with every time we go to use the toilets. It doesn’t really matter that the speedway people only lease the building, what happened was still breaking the law, but because it’s civil law and not criminal law, she has to take legal action herself.

18. Just by the by, is she related to our Royal Family? The Saxe-Coburgs were the German ducal family from which Queen Victoria’s mother, and her husband Prince Albert, came.

19. Bouncerman 24 Jun 2011, 5:42pm

If you want to see what she looks like…. go to the local paper website.

[remove the spaces if the correct link is denied on here]
    http :// www. bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9102815.Transsexual__humiliated__in_Poole_stadium_toilet_row/

1. It’s totally irrelevant what she looks like. She’s a woman, legally and at great personal cost.

20. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 5:42pm

Evidently. And it seems there are now 2 Queen Victorias.

1. Alf N. Spit 24 Jun 2011, 5:44pm

That is to Dan Filson

21. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 7:38pm

Bless her
    “Poole Pirates told the newspaper that the club only leases the stadium and its own staff were not involved in the incident.”
    I would imagine that doesn’t stop them being responsible for it legally though.
    I think she should sue! I’m sure Pool Pirates would very quickly figure out who was actually responsible then….

1. hardly. It seems unlikely that they are responsible and, if they aren’t, they merely need to raise that in court. Its a pretty absolute defence!

jane
      xx

22. Another Hannah 26 Jun 2011, 12:27pm

We need a charity that addresses legal costs and help to follow up on the equality laws being broken, since there seems to be no state help. This is definitely breaking the law. If there was a pot of money and people knew there was a pot of money ready to pursue and deal with anybody who broke the law I think we would find these problems would be far less frequent.

23. Another Hannah 26 Jun 2011, 12:30pm

We also need a special charity to deal with LGBT homelessness, so that anybody facing severe problems would be caught and protected. This also would do masses for the fear of coming out.

24. Croydon Guy 24 Jun 2011, 3:48pm

This comment seems to go way beyond “Inappropriate”. There is no issue about her appearance. I hope it will be removed promptly.

25. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 7:39pm

reported….

26. Why does the internet breed people like you who feel the need to be hurtful?, try looking in the mirror and you see see that you are far from perfect!

Just reported ‘Rockbunny’ for their intentional hateful transphobic comment. This may be your opinion but keep it to yourself please.