Comment: Why it’s vital to kick homophobia out of sport, by David Cameron

1. Can you ask him why they refused to invite Peter Tatchell to this LGBT community event?

Maybe because it’s all just a meaningless PR exercise, perhaps?

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 3:23pm

Maybe you should also ask Gordon Brown etc since nothings changed.

2. I thought it was to do with sport? As much as I like Thatchell I don’t think he’d be good in the olympics.

1. Not entirely – two friends of mine who were invited, and went, are both writers (and not sports writers).

1. Would it really harm the PM to actually mention the words marriage equality occassionally?? I know some of his peers hate the words but I thought Cameron didn’t and now sees us as equals in all respects. It’s you’re consultation on equal marriages that’s starting in 2 weeks time, so be a man and take onwership of it and mention it..you’ve promoted everything else in you comment and previous speech..Foregt Tebbit, Mr Cameron, you can sort him out, can’t you or perhaps not???

Lord Tebbit -“To ask Her Majesty’s Government… whether they will refrain from using in answers to parliamentary questions expressions such as “equal civil marriage and partnerships” for which they have no definition”

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 3:29pm

Excellent article from someone who clearly is learning and opening his eyes the the problems we face.

I actually feel we are moving from having people in government who just assume for us to actually getting to know us and being involved with our community.

The is plenty of work still to be done, marriage Equality for example but the fact we Are being listen to goes a long way to helping me as a person decide to carry on ‘loosening the rope of trust’ and giving this government the chance and opportunity it deserves.

It’s we have a Prime Minister, and a Tory one at that, that is listening.

One thing though, on a lighter note, I’d like to know who many times Mr Cameron had to say the line:-
    “Vauxhall’s gay sports day when you can witness competitive handbag throwing or literal drag racing.”
    ..without cracking up.
    I did just reading it mind you it was a great laugh to watch and a great day too.

All in all a good comment by Mr. Cameron.
    Thank you.

1. I concur with Jock S Trap on all his comments (although I unfortunately couldnt make the Vauxhall sports day but am told it was a great day)

I have my hesitations with regards Conservatives, but – for me this article was well written and demonstrated an author that is keen to ensure equality and has learnt that even ignorant homophobia is not acceptable.

Absolutely there is plenty of work to be done – and some of that is evidenced in Camerons article – though there are other areas of work which he does not discuss.

I can not imagine Gordon Brown, John Major or Margaret Thatcher having demonstrated such enthusiasm to eliminate homophobia.

Please Mr Cameron do not leave it at words – please continue with action – and make sure your good works in improving the rights of LGBT people are publicized. Please also demonstrate your intention to improve equality in marriage.

2. Don Harrison 23 Jun 2011, 10:21pm

How long has it taken the tories to get over Clause 28?

1. To be fair part of the reason of getting over Section 28 was because people keep throwing it back at them and not allowing them to demonstrate change – partly they needed to establish a more reasonable approach.

They have a conviction on LGBT rights now if we accept Camerons views – lets hold him to account and ensure the Tories bring better LGBT rights to demonstrate effectively they have reversed their institutional homophobia

1. AAwww bless. someone sees sense after all… we should stop throwing the holocaust back at the Nazzis. Let’s allow them to “demonstrate change” and a chance to recover.

1. Some coherance and reality to your argument might help your cause – but any intelligent reader can see you lack either

2. Beberts I am still awaiting this list of anti-gay laws from the coalition government you were ranting on about. I have searched google as you suggested but cannot find them, be a good sport and help out.

BTW I don’t know where the Nazzi’s are now in power to throw things at, maybe you could tell us that too.

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:13am

Dave G
            I’m afraid his brain doesn’t compute, so unlikely we’ll get any answer.
            He’s only here as the ghost of Tory past not the present or the future.

4. TrollFromDamascus 30 Jun 2011, 3:39am

@Stu still taking the moral high ground are we.

5. Jock S. Trap 6 Jul 2011, 10:35am

Bitter much troll…?

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:14am

I think that maybe it should be How long is it going to take some here to get over the face Section 28, while a bad thing yes, hasn’t been around for a long time now.

I mean David Cameron apologised for it and didn’t vote when it was repealed.
        This was in 2003, nearly 10 years ago.

What we have now is a typical thing of No one being allowed to forget Section 28 but everyone seems to have to forget Labours Amendment 70 which allows religious schools to teach homophobia which is now worse than Section 28.

Lets hope that schools like that in Stoke Newington start to reign in dealing with homophobia in the most effective way possible… education.

3. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:03pm

But of course you are a declared fan of the Conservatives, so you would say that.

1. They are still facts.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 3:18pm

!a declared fan” – really.
        Why because I voted for then 1 time?
        So I agree with some of the stuff they’re doing now, so what.
        We needed someone to take control of the country’s finances not spend money we didn’t have recking the ecomony.

So Am I also wrong to agree with this reception, it’s wanting to tackle homophobia and wanting to get role models and other people for young LGBTQI to see and look up to as a good thing.

Do I think David Cameron writing for PinkNews is a good, positive thing? Too damn right I do.
        Am I ashamed of that? No way and seriously why I should be?

I don’t understand what part of not being loyal to any party esp at General Elections making all work for my vote people don’t get.
        I’m not a labourite, or a Tory or a Lib Dem or whatever.
        I go with whatever I agree with at that time.
        Personally I don’t see what’s wrong with that and why people don’t get it.

3. I for one think it’s fantastic that we have a Conservative PM who is willing to stand up and openly support LGBT issues. I know this comment section is going to be flooded with the same old messages about how he hasn’t really changed etc. etc, but I think Cameron should be applauded and am wholly grateful.

1. Grateful? That you have a government who doesnt hate you anymore?

1. theotherone 23 Jun 2011, 3:41pm

like the last one that allowed schools to teach Homosexuality was evil and who’s leader said publicly that Marriage was between a Man and a Woman?

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 3:43pm

Indeed theotherone.
          It seems people are blinded by whatever the last government did and what the last PM said.

2. @theotherone

I don’t judge the Labour parties policies on when Michael Foot was leader, so why should I judge the Conservatives on when Margaret Thatcher was in power – seems a bit like living in the past to me.

1. Stu – You’re far too sensible for some people on this message board!

2. Thanks, Luke

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:14am

Thats a far point Stu.
            A Very accurate one too.

3. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:04pm

I think “llowed schools to teach Homosexuality was evil” is a gross misrepresentation of the Labour position. Evidence please!

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 3:20pm

Labour’s Amendment 70.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 3:42pm

Here! Here! James L

4. I think it’s very sad that people have read this article and are being negative and implying that things are awful in this country. Come off it – progress is progress, even if we’re not ‘there’ at the end yet.

Frankly, I think it’s selfish, rude and incredibly blind of people to complain that life is awful here. I know just as well as you do that things aren’t perfect for the queer community in this country, but for goodness’ sake – there are places you could have it so, so much worse. As Mr. Cameron said – there are places in Africa where governments are considering killing people for their sexuality. What makes you think you have the right to complain like this about our rights here?

My guess is that people are allowing political bias to make them read this comment as a PR move, which is unfortunate. What you should remember is this – even if it is, it’s still a good thing. He’s acknowledged that there’s still a long way to go, and he’s moving forward. What more do you want?

1. Ran out of words, but I also wanted to say – personally, I’m really grateful that Mr. Cameron is dedicating so much effort to both the LGBT community in England and in other, less queer-friendly places in the world. However other people want to interpret it, I think it’s commendable – so thank you!

1. I agree!!

2. @Kate

I wholeheartedly agree with you. There needs to be scrutiny of Cameron and the government on all issues including LGBT issues – but I sense this article illustrates that we will have progress with this government.

5. Will it be okay for football fans to now call any gay players that come out of the closet queens, like David Cameron did in his speech?

1. Please stop being an idiot, the majority of people have took that in good humour. The fact this PM has the balls to crack jokes and speak his mind even if others disagree is a godsend. If every gay/bi person took offence at, what I class a a bit of banter, then we are well and truly screwed.
      Fortunately it’s only the minority of wingeing, uptight idiots like yourself who think any joke with a gay tone is going to be offensive or hurtful…
      Get over yourself.

1. So you think its alright for football fans to call gay players queens? Is it good when Gareth Thomas gets called a queen from the terraces? What about all the young gay actors who can’t get roles because they’re seen as being queens. Jog on and go get some homophobic banter thrown at you by your seargant major. Queen.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:27pm

Your boring me now.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:29pm

PS I’m done with ya now, yawn.

2. But I wasn’t talking to you? Queen.

2. PumpkinPie 23 Jun 2011, 9:52pm

Oh, wow. A majority not giving a crap if they insult a minority takes “balls”, now, does it? Seems pretty easy to me.

2. As gays are now the new nigga’s that even many black people look down on, defame and discriminate against then perhaps Cameron should have referred to Sir Ian McKellen as a nigga butI guess it would have spoiled his royal joke somewhat

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:18am

I guess the question is where to draw the line between friendly humous harmless banter and taking ourselves too seriously making ourselves look like a humourless laughing stock?

It’s the latter people see and pick on.

3. @Eddy Two

Of course, you will say I am too nice …

But the situations you are comparing are like apples and oranges …

Homophobia that is intended to be hate filled (as definited by the criminal offence) is repugnant and deserves dealing with it – and on the terraces usually is far worse than the use of the word “queen” and is often clearly vindictive and aggressive in its application either by expletives, tone or body language.

Candid banter which is light hearted is entirely different. I took Camerons (perhaps poor) joke about entertaining queens to be a gentle attempt at humour – similar to his comment about Vauxhall sports day.

Its hardly offensive and has to be read in context to the rest of the content. For crying out loud we have a PM who now is against homophobia

1. I’m sure Cameron’s “joke” wasn’t intended to be patronising or insulting but ‘queen’ isn’t usually used approvingly or admiringly, is it? The fact is, it’s mildly derogatory (if perhaps not deeply offensive). The “joke” was in poor taste and, above all, unnecessary, I’m sure the PM could have found another way to be witty or lighten the atmosphere. It’s a shame he didn’t, because the event itself is certainly to be praised.

1. @Rehan
          You certainly have a point and I completely agree that last nights event is to be praised.
          I think casting the spotlight on Camerons humour or lack of it actually takes the focus away from the important issue that we have a PM who has made a statement which categorically declares a stance against homophobia. We need to hold him to scrutiny on this.
          Most humour is offensive to some and not to others – that is the British way with humour. I don’t feel Cameron intended to insult or patronise and was at worst misguided in his use of the jokes – but I suspect more gay people laughed at the jokes than were offended.

1. I don’t think that’s a particularly British approach to humour but yes, of course people will laugh, people who’re guests of a very powerful man usually do laugh at his jokes. All the more reason for him to have been a little more cautious about his (pretty feeble) attempt at humour I’d say, simply because – as you say – it slightly undermines the real value of the event.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:29am

Stu
            But I think thats the point.
            Some of this bitchin has nothing to do with this event or the good it brings.
            It’s purely because some people cannot and will not see beyond a Tory being in power.

They may well give us marriage Equality but I can guarantee that some will override that just to find anything that may wrong with it.

It’s actually a damaging way to go about things.
            To be so deliberately blinded and ignore any good that may be done just on, well prejudice really.

So whats more damaging a Government, sure people may be cautious about but giving a chance and seeing they want to help or the people they want to help, not allowing them the chance, dishing the dirt, ignoring the help and almost becoming abusive towards those wanting to help?

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:31am

It’s funny how those people have ignored my question about what Labour did in their first 13 months in power.

Again this has nothing to do with rights but prejudice against those who seem to want to help us.
            Times change, people have to choose if they wish to move forward or stay behind but those who wish the latter have no right stopping the rest of us seek progress.
            Something they no doubt will whinge about but I have no doubt will happy be a part of.

4. @Jock S Trap

That is the point that this is a smokescreen to stop those who have (some understandable) concerns (like many of us) about a Conservative (even if coalition) government.

That said when something benefits equality we should be celebrating not being petty.

5. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:21am

Stu
            I understand concerns but clearly some here are going well above that in that it’s clearly they’d rather this government either didn’t do anything or did and failed so they can sneer and whinge.

Trouble is, how does that effect the rest of us that just want Equal Rights, no matter whose campaigning for it and willing to support and give it.

6. @Jock S Trap

I entirely agree – I dont care if equality is brought in my Tories, Lib Dems, Labour, SNP or Independents (or whoever) as long as we get it.

I am cautious about the Tories, but I’m liking what I am hearing so far, and as I keep saying lets ensure they are subject to scrutiny.

7. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 4:52pm

Stu
            Agreed.
            Nothing wrong with scrutiny, I think that must be there.
            It’s the ones who just don’t want to hear anything positive just because it’s the Tories involved as I think they are a bit short-sighted.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:21am

He could have found another joke I guess, like he could have chosen not to host a reception to tackle homophobia.

Point is people at the reception didn’t find it offensive it only seems to be some people who didn’t go.

1. Jock, the only people that found it offensive are the usual suspects on this message board.

The fact Cameron feels so comfortable to say a joke like that speaks miles to how far this country has come in LGBT rights. Yes, we can laugh at a bunch of ‘queens’s once in a mile… no harm done.

Some people will find anything to be offended by. Absolutely anything.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:18am

Fair point, Luke.
            It’s sad but true.

3. Actually Luke, I checked with two friends of mine who were there and neither of them found it amusing at all, and while there was a bit of polite laughter nearer the PM, further away from him more people groaned at his “joke”.

4. Rehan, if friends that attended were offended…. tell then to get over themselves and have a bit of humour inside of them! Relax and stop being so uptight!

5. @Rehan

There is a huge difference between not finding a joke funny and groaning at it. There is a huge difference between groaning at a joke and being offended by it. I know some people on here have found Camerons joke mildly amusing and not insulting – I don’t think anyone on here was proposing that Cameron take up a career in stand up when he leaves politics ….

6. @ Luke: I’m certainly not going to instruct my friends, both highly intelligent and urbane women, on what to find funny – how patronising would that be? If you’re willing to be amused by stereotyping, fine; not everyone is, as should be perfectly obvious by now.
            (“Relax and stop being so uptight” is the sort of thing people used to say to me if I was offended by racist jokes at school so, understandably I think, I tend to find that sort of advice rather objectionable.)

7. @ Stu, I don’t think there always is a huge difference between groaning at a joke and being offended by it, offence isn’t absolute. In this instance it was obviously well-intentioned though, I would say, hideously poorly-judged.

8. @Rehan

I guess there are different types of groans at jokes.

Certainly, I agree it appears the motivation of Cameron was not malicious or intending to cause offence.

Arguably it was a poorly judged joke (although I’m not sure how he would have had a joke appropriate to the theme that would not have caused some sort of groan) whether it was hideously poorly judged – I would argue Cameron has made much worse judgements whilst in power and this is relatively minor in terms of conduct or judgement.

3. Oh Rehan…. still haven’t got over Cameron’s joke? Good to see you’re still finding it very funny! :D

1. Sorry Luke, I know it sounds uptight and priggish but I generally struggle to find minority stereotyping funny.

2. So the prime minister calling gay men queens is not saying to homophobes that it is okay to call us queens. You might be alright being called a queen Stu, but I’m not. You big queen. The event was about respect, attempting to stop homophobia in sport and encourage sports people to be more honest about their sexuality. What sportsman would want to be called a queen? Maybe the handbag throwers that cameron also mentions? Can you get an olympic gold for that sport?

1. @Eddy Two

I dont have a problem, personally being called a queen – and with respect that doesnt mean I invite you to call me one, not because of the word but the facetiousness of your use of the word emanates an insult which I wouldnt take from someone clearly using it in a lighthearted manner, strikes to me of double standards on your part.

The overall message is positive, honourable and constructive for the LGBTQ communities – and if you cant see that you are stuck with your dogmatic view on Cameron and this particular label rather than the bigger picture of what Cameron said that is significant.

2. You never actually say anything. You just ramble on with no content, you’d make a good politician, well a back bencher, you queen.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:36am

See how thats just attacking someone because they dare to have a difference of opinion.
            Hardly mature mr.

3. @Eddy two
          Is that the best retort you can come up with – there is plenty of content in what I say, you don’t agree with it so you say its empty, lacks content or meaningless – strangely I seem to get more comments agreeing with my statements than you do.
          You do occasionally say things I agree with and I affirm you – pity you never seem to have any courtesy to do the same to me or others.

4. That’s in line with Osborne’s tasteless pantomime dame crass banter … next the mainly white middle class hetero men in power will be bantering about the swarthiness of some newly acquainted “protected” group. All fine and dandy for some.

1. Seriously………. some people are incapable of having a laugh! I am finding some of your comments more funny than Cameron’s joke and that was brill too :D

4. Look up the word context

6. Oh look, more Tory apologism, more ignoring Tory record, more ignoring Cameron’s own bigotry, more dismissing of homophobia.

I expect little more from Pink news

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:11pm

Hi Sparky, welcome to 2011!!
      Do come in, wipe your feet…

1. Ignore him Sparky, Jock is the queen of the site. Should he wipe his feet on your face, you big queen.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:28pm

It don’t matter how much you say it eddy two it just ain’t gonna get me, it just make me laugh.

1. Does it make you laugh as much as the joke that Cameron said about the gay man that is a queen?

2. @Eddy Two

Well I certainly laughed at Camerons (lame) joke

I also recognise that some people can change – you and Sparky seem to deny that

3. Well you would, simple jack. Did it make you h h h happy? You big queen.

4. @Eddy two

Calling me a queen isn’t going to upset me …

It childish and churlish behaviour by you and playground attitude but it doesnt upset me

As for being simple – at least I can see that people can change – you seem stuck in the dogma of the 1960s-1980s from some of your comments on here … grow up

2. Jock believes the mention of the magic number 2011 should be necessary to clean up all past evidence of wrongdoing. C’mon… it’s 2011, let’s give the nazzis another chance.

1. No matter how many times you try to refer to a party that is not in power and has never been in the UK – it will not make it relevant – it just demonstrates how juvenile you are

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:44am

Beberts
          Jock mentions 2011 because he believes people like you are too stuck on the past unwilling to try and see change for the future.

Also I think you use of n@zis to describe the Tories is offensive and insulting in itself considering Winston Churchill was a Tory who lead this country and through the bravest people people, soldiers etc stopped this country being invaded and taken over by the n@zis.
          Considering what Hitler and the n@zis did across Europe.

Your comment is typically immature and more shows you up for what you are.

1. C’mon Stu & Jock, it’s 2011, why are you so distressed with my writings. It’s sooo juvenile and imature it shouldn’t even register on the radar of an adult. LOL

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 3:59pm

Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

3. @Beberts

Yawn. Grow up.

2. Jesus Christ. Do you guys ever give up?

Cameron’s post is extremely positive and you should be welcoming it. If the article makes him homophobic and bigot then that makes most of the UK population, that’s for sure.

I honestly think some people really would like this government to deliberately go backwards on the equality agenda so it fits their pathetic little rants. It’s not working, we’re moving forward and it’s a Conservative Prime Minister in the driving seat too. Get used to it. Times have changed and I am very happy that all major three parties in the UK are pro gay rights. Makes me proud to be English (or British)!

1. @Luke

Well said. Cameron has made a decided and clear effort to spell out unambiguously that he is against homophobia – there are other things I wish he had added to his article, but taken as it is, the article is hugely positive and has great implications for LGBT rights in the UK.

Those who complain about it, in my opinion are either bitter and twisted, cynical in the extreme, or have a victim mentality.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:46am

Here! Here! Luke

Sadly people refuse to see any positive because of their own prejudice.

Not saying is it all not warranted but to blind themselves with it its another thing.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:47am

In effect they become just as guilty as the people they ignore.

7. Fantastic David Cameron. I am pleased you’re our PM. Keep up the good work and bring forward the LGBT agenda even more. Culture change is what the big issue of the day is. In too many areas, gay people are seen as a taboo and sport is probably the biggest and I am very pleased to see the government pushing this. Good luck, I am with you.

1. Yes.

Please confirm that gay couples will be allowed enter the legal contract of civil marriage by the time of the next election.

Otherwise you are talking crap!

1. LOL…. there is a consultation in a few weeks and I expect it to suggest we have civil marriage. I want that to happen. However, we do have civil partnerships that is ‘marriage’ in every way but name. I do, however, recognise that we want civil marriage as it does feel ‘second’ class in away. But this isn’t the ONLY issue facing LGBT people. Everything won’t be solved for us when marriage equality becomes law. We need a deep seated culture change and this is what the government is talking about. If you can change gay peoples perceptions in sport, you can change it anywhere!

1. Great way to start off your deep seated cultural change by calling a gay man a queen. I don’t think being called queens will inspire any young sportsmen to come out of the closet.

1. It must be really hard to have a laugh with you. Your face must be cold and full of thunder.

2. Its hard for people to throw homophobic banter at me and get away with it, queen. You might like the most powerful man in the country laughing at you by calling you derogatory names, I don’t find it funny. And maybe Gareth Thomas laughed, but when he plays next and some rugby fans shout ‘you big queen’ from the terraces, he probs won’t be laughing then.

3. that luke , shes a right ole queen , legs up mary.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:51pm

Luke
          I believe the marriage Equality begins in two weeks time and I think ending to put to Parliament next year.
          So here’s hoping.

1. I hope so too. Lots of pushing and shoving should get us equality. It will come soon. I just feel it coming.

2. Sorry, computer says no… next

3. @Beberts

Grow some balls and live in the real world for a change

2. @Luke

Well I am hopeful both that Cameron and the government seek to assist in changing domestic and international culture on LGBT issues and demonstrating that equality has to be integrated in all aspects of society.

I am also hopeful the marriage consultation will result in clear unambiguous equality. We shall see – but I remain hopeful.

As for Camerons jokes … those who are sounding such anger at what was obvious attempts at humour to help galvanise support (which is what politicians do) are sending up a smokescreen to raise an issue where there really isnt one. The issue here is that we have a clear commitment to LGBT rights and encouraging a change in culture.

8. I don’t trust David Cameron.

His voting record on LGBT issues is disgustingly bigotted.

He is makling some nice noises now that he is in power. BUt what has he actually DONE?

Civil Partnership Apartheid is the clearest, most obvious legal discrimination that LGBT people still face.

Why has the slimy opportunist Callmedave not issued a statement indicating the timeline by which this legal discrimination will be ended.

Meetings with gay groups are entirely meaningless unless he is also committed to ending legal discrimination.

1. Voting for civil partnerships and the sexual orientation regulations makes him ‘extremely bigoted’…. when you throw insults like that after voting for those issues… it just shows you’re losing the argument mate!

Gone are the days when legislation alone changes things, although I know this is very important. Cultural change doesn’t happen with legislation alone.

2. @SteveC

As someone who has spent a great deal of time studying apertheid in South Africa and has met many who suffered at the time including some who were widowed or mutilated – I find the use of the adjective apertheid in connection to civil partnerships offensive and demeaning. It belittles the horrific experiences that occured in South Africa and has no understanding of the horrors that occurred in South Africa.

I agree marriage in the UK is not equal – and that needs to change – its not apertheid though.

As for Cameron’s voting – he has improved through the years and has apologised – how many more times does the man have to apologise. His words are clear and unambiguous. His actions too have been very pro LGBT whilst in power (which is surely what matters)

Hold Cameron to account and scrutiny but give him a chance to have things to be accountable for. Marriage equality is a priority for LGBT people – but so is the economy, education, the health service …

9. Well speaking of sport. Let’s leave aside Cameron’s viciously homophobic voting past, let’s focus on sport.

I agree that it is vital that homophobia is kicked out of sport.

I’d like to hear Cameron’s opinionos on the fact that the World Cup 2022 will be held in murderously bigotted Qatar.

I expect a statement from Cameron condemning this decision.

Or is his article simply meaningless PR.

It’s hard to say.

But his revoltingly homophobic voting record and his lack of action on marriage equality indicates he is talking nonsense again.

1. Cameron has commented on Qatar: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/23/david-cameron-says-world-cup-could-make-qatar-more-gay-friendly/

…. get with it mate…. you’re so far in the 1980s you’re getting lost now…..

1. Cameron didnt choose Qatar as the venue. FIFA are responsible for that and Cameron is keen to work with the FA and others to improve LGBT issues in sports.

He has stated he thinks the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar and Russia should be reviewed as a matter of urgency.

10. Role models can only help if they get publicity in the media.

11. “I believe that good work is underway lead by the FA and PFA and I encourage all involved to do all they can, as quickly as they can. “

Was this David Cameron’s own spelling? Looks like standards are falling.

12. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:49pm

Personally I think a Tory Prime Minister, taking time out to comment on PinkNews speaks volumes about him as a person.

It’s a well written piece.

13. This is a fantastic statement by a politician in such high standings- although i cant help but think that politicians alike have promised things before and never see them through. I agree 100% with what has been stated and hope one day things for LGBT people like myself can change for the better, not just in sport but in everything we do. I do believe its old fashioned values that make people homophobic so if we can tackle that in our younger children then im sure the future looks bright for LGBT people…..lets hope.

14. I heartily disliked Mrs Thatcher and she expelled the Iranian ambassador after the Fatwah against Salman Rushdie.
    I heartily dislike David Cameron and he has made this statement.
    I applaud both actions.
    (But of course we need more action).

1. @Riondo

I share your sentiments.

Thatcher made a principled stand against the Iranians.

Cameron is making a principled stand on LGBT issues.

Thatcher (as much as I dislike her) maintained her dignified stance on Iranian policy.

Lets hold Cameron to account and ensure he maintains his principles.

15. Kevin O'Neill 23 Jun 2011, 7:39pm

Fair play to Cameron. I am not sure it needs much more analysis.

16. I’m noticing a distinct lack of concrete proof that tackling homophobia in sport drips down into society. It keeps getting repeated but where are the studies?

David Cameron, Gordon Brown, Nick Clegg, Ed Invisible… it doesn’t seem to matter. They say all the right words but they never manage more than half measures. It’s always baby steps here and there.

I’m sick and tired of baby steps. I’m not getting any younger here and I want to marry my other half before the world ends. I want to know bullying (not just homophobic/transphobic bullying) is being dealt with forcefully in schools. I want my freedom.

I suspect I’ll be waiting some time with the current crop of politicians.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:55am

I think what we need is several closeted footballers to come out at the same time, not giving one alone the chance to be penalised for doing so.

Showing the clubs they are out there dealing in the same way rubgy is starting to do with.

I believe Sport seems to provide role models for youngsters who as with anything in life there should representation for those to aspire to.

Whilst Homopobia in sport needs more work I also believe that in these cases staying in the closet damages just as much.

Surely better work and protection, tackling homophobia comes from when they have people, footballers for example, they can focus on and then deal with these issues more directly and hopefully effectively.

17. All these heads of the various football associations present – let’s hope that at long last it’ll encourage some genuine effort to combat homophobia in football which may even – horrors! – result in a professional UK footballer coming out.

1. Your word in somebody’s ear!
      It would be so great for all the sports-mad, football enthused youngsters if a footballer came out. Here’s hoping.

18. What happened to Marriage Equality? He goes on about civil partnerships on religious premises (which I presume to mean the ceremony taking place) but absolutely no word about marriage? Isn’t there supposed to be a consultation (or whatever it’s called) happening right now, if I understood the Equality Minister correctly. What’s happened to that?
    I liked a lot of the other points, but this omission hit a nerve. Come on, it’s 2011!

1. Perhaps Callmedave assumed the obvious, that we all know how useless a consultation exercise is in this case and decided to ignore it. Or perhaps he realised how risky it is to stand up for equality when he knows the vast majority of his voters are against gay marriage.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 8:59am

I actually think thats what You want so you can carry on with the “I told you so” whinging.

“Or perhaps he realised how risky it is to stand up for equality when he knows the vast majority of his voters are against gay marriage.”
        And yet most of the polls show most people are FOR marriage Equality.

I think that comment shows you’d rather the Tories did nothing.

I can’t speak for all but please don’t think you can speak for the majority who actually want progress no matter who is willing to give it.

1. Beberts isn’t interested in LGBT agenda moving forward, all he/she wants to do is score pathetic points on a message board. Failing miserably and is making her/him self look like a fool.

1. Neither you or JST seem to realise that a lot of us are dumb founded by the continued lack of mentioning of the words equal marriage by the PM and since the consultation starts in 2 weeks then the omission is even more surprising. Why does he continue to refuse to mention it? Simply saying this was all about sport is rubbish when other things were mentioned and not only sports stars were invited. As far as I know Ben Summerskill isn’t well know for his sporting skills but for his lobbying skills. Where is marriage equality in all this prior to gay pride..Some of us aren’t getting at the Tories or Cameron but at his continued lack of push towards equal marriage. Religious CPs are going to be with us until Feb 2012 , over 2 yrs after labour passed the bill. The speed to do this simple change doesn’t bode well for equal marriage.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:25am

I agree Luke I think he wants this government to either stop Equal Rights or Do so and fail.

Puts into question he idiot himself and what he really stands for coz right now he looks more like a fraud.

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:36am

It wasn’t just about sport but it was about homphobia and tackling it weither in sport, in society or in schools.

Personally I think we are having a consultation starting in two weeks then why do we need to be constantly reassured about it when we wouldn’t even be having this if the Labour government had remain. It is clear that the idea of religions CPs are just a stepping stone towards marriage Equality to show those bigotted church leaders, MPs, people in the street that they don’t mean anything to anybody unless you are actually having such a ceremony, ie the world doesn’t cave in on it’s axis.

Religious CP’s were mentioned because that is the next positive step forward, so it is only right that he promote that.

By all reckoning at the last Election too many were saying all these rights would dissappear, the usual scaremongering, so by those comments we weren’t supposed to have this next step at all.
            Of course those people have long “forgotten” such comments they made.

4. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:37am

Both David Cameron and Nick Clegg have publically voiced support for both marriage and CP Equality.

We’re not babies, we don’t need pampering every two minutes.

Truth is both the PM and his deputy have already supported and your upset because they didn’t get reported doing it when You wanted regardless of the fact they have both already shared their support to this.

5. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:40am

“Some of us aren’t getting at the Tories or Cameron but at his continued lack of push towards equal marriage”

You mean the consultation that is happening from 2 weeks, that the last Labour govenment didn’t believe in, didn’t want to give us is still a “lack of push?”
            This consultation that this government promised to look into.
            The first party to do so…

6. Awww bless… babbling baby Jock, there’s no need to cry. Papa Dave is coming to change your nappies. … ….
            Or is he? Dave, Dave, where are you? Daaaave…. ???

7. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 3:23pm

As usual you bring nothing constructive to the debate.

8. @Beberts

You really have no concept of what debate is do you ….

2. The consultation to allow the registration of a secular CP on religious premises ended yesterday. It should allow a handful of gay people , mostly quakers and unitarians to simply register their CP in “church”. The CofE responded yesterday and said they won’t do them until the Synod agrees ie never. Most churchs have opted out, the consultation was really about opting out not opting in or making CPs religious. Equal marriage consultation between “stakeholders”, whoever they are??, sarts in 2 weeks. Yes, it’s odd to omit and not publish something they ought to be proud of and something which we are told will be here by 2015, perhaps they’re quibbling over what to call it, some Tories don’t like the words “equal marriage” , perhpas they’re going to revert to “gay” marriage …
      Lord Tebbit – “…will (the govt) refrain from using in answers to parliamentary questions expressions such as “equal civil marriage and partnerships” for which they have no definitio

19. Rich (original) 23 Jun 2011, 8:57pm

I wonder why u.k. people so stupid and they vote for that’s strange idiot david cameron?…

1. Shut it troll queen!

1. Rich (original) 24 Jun 2011, 12:26am

you need shut your anus, idiot…. you stinks here too much….

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Jun 2011, 11:41am

Funny you talking about the thing you use to talk out of!

20. Incredible. Still an evil Tory, but we need to recognise how far this party has moved on and give credit where credit is due.

21. billy wingarten 24 Jun 2011, 4:28am

Hopefully the tories are on board, including their leader.

My American view is that GB is only a year or two away from having marriage for gays
    its just aword but a big one that carries respect that CUs do not have.

We have a simlar situation in the USA. Some republicans, really Libertarians (socially liberal, economically stone age) do support gays.

But on serious issues few and far between, and the key base of our repub party are the evangel. christians who gave us slavery, the KKK hate group and segregation.

We shall see. But pls insure that deeds not words are done by your conservatives.

Where there is a wiwll, they will find a way.

And my impression from reading about AU is they are in the same space re soon to have marriage, not the CU hodge podge they have now.

And prob NZ will follow.

Leaving my country one of the lsast westernized nations to respect gays etc.

just as we were the last to end slavery.

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 2:01pm

Billy, I think your analysis is right. The USA is beset by the religious bigots to a far worse extent than here in the UK (nor so far I can see in Australia or New Zealand), and until the church v state separation issue is properly resolved by a resounding defeat for the former, I can see problems in making progress across your nation, even if state by state matter appear to change. An incoherent patchwork does not work. To paraphase Lincoln, a nation divided cannot stand half slave and half free.

22. Yay! David Cameron is brilliant.

1. Dan Filson 24 Jun 2011, 1:56pm

If you believe that, you will believe anything. And in any event, you should never cheer a politician, it only encourages them.

1. de Villiers 24 Jun 2011, 3:56pm

I am positive towards the Prime Minister but otherwise agree with Dan. Never cheer a politician, regardless of their party.

2. I am sure there are rare occasions I would congratulate a politician and encourage them … cheer – nah!

23. It makes me sick when people fall for these (what I can only assume) pr stunts. Was it not the same David Cameron that first suggested it, but suggested that only same sex kisses would be banned until 9pm. Not that accepting after all!?

1. Well said Joe, i agree. DC wants to kick out homophobia in sport but you cant possibly allow a gay kiss before the tv watershed!? Come off it DC! What planet are u really on! Its perfectly acceptable to watch a straight couple kiss B4 9Pm so whats the difference Mr Cameron? Answer….just your blatent homophobia to a perfectly acceptable event in a world of true equality. Clearly Mr Cameron does not subscribe to this.

24. It should read: Why it’s vital to kick homophobia out of politics.

Politicians used to have to resign in ‘disgrace’. Now the old boy’s club in that dinosaur zoo, are still homophobic and will always be. There will be a notable decrease in their homophobia only when full equality is given to all LGBT people, without fake debates like this one Cameron, all about YOU and no laws being changed.

Cameron is a self-serving maggot. I despise him. I despise anyone who would exploit the pain of others to gain points when NO LAW HAS CHANGED. He disgust me. I hope many non-gay people can see through this imbecile’s exploitation here.

1. Couldn’t agree more. There’s been a round of nauseating back patting for that etonian f-ckpig, and it unerves me. This is gesture politics at its very flimsiest. He doesn’t care about us, this is a PR exercise. And all you suburban fools that think that legisation changes anything, I advise you to hold hands with your partner walking through Parkhead in Glasgow. You’ll quickly see how much “progess” has been made by these self congratuatory parasites. They don’t care about you, they just want to appear to, to keep up the democratic masquearade. They need to go, all of them.

25. Rich (original) 21 Jul 2011, 12:21am

What is vital, David (Cameron), is to kick you out of U.K.’s government!

26. I was just going to say something about the people who are Bashing David Cameron.

I am not Tory, I generally frown on Right-Wing viewpoints when it comes to Social Change and businessey stuff, But I for one applaud Mr Cameron’s attitude to LGBT rights.

The Joke wasn’t meant to be offensive that’s the case, maybe it was in poor taste but to define him by a momentary lapse in judgement (if you can call it that) is silly.

Two pence given!

27. More important to kick Herr Cameron out of Downing Street. Exploiting gay people for a photo opportunity, he despises gay people. I hate this warmonger and Fascist so much I can taste it. Just as I think he can’t get any lower, he finds new depths.

28. I am from Canada, and even though we have same-sex marriage, our PM would never bother his ass to address the queer community, or their issues (at home/abroad). I think it’s pretty cool.

I posted this comment already, but it doesn’t seem to load. Sorry if you get it twice!

29. postoplass 8 Sep 2011, 11:55am

the article title is misleading, it only says homophobia yet the article mentions transphobia as well, if this was represented in the article’s title then maybe T people would see we are represented in articles more than it seems. Transphobia is more widespread in sport than homophobia, a gay person isn’t as obvious to the public as a trans person