Cee Lo Green explains ‘homophobic’ tweet

1. Andrew Wells 22 Jun 2011, 2:10pm

“…my masculinity offended you?”

I really wonder what he’s referring to here.

2. pr backtracking again.scum!

3. More worthless trash in the world who try backtracking as is may harm their career.

4. He’ll be visiting a gay youth charity next. Stupid homophobe.

5. “I’m one of the most liberal artists I think you will ever meet, and pride myself on that.”

Well, if you go around calling people “gay” with the intention of using it as a derogatory term of insult, then perhaps you need to realign yourself on the “liberal spectrum”, there, Cee Lo. Muppet.

6. And one of the most disgusting artists. He is ridiculous, and needs to watch his tongue. The “N word” is still alive and well, and he is proof!

1. Racists are still alive and well and you are living proof.

That comment is unnecessary, offensive and stupid.

1. And who made you Queen of political correctness – mind ya own mouth – this is a country where freedom of speech is tolerated – When are we all gonna stop bickering amongst ourselves and demand these ignorant so called ‘artistes’ shut the f@*k up… Most of these black bigots are closet fags anyway – What you wanna make of that statement Joss?

1. Don’t feed the troll, probably.

1. @Carka To whom are you referring?

2. I always thought he was gay….lol. I’m surprised that he’s saying he’s straight.

2. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 7:57pm

agreed

2. reported

7. Jock S. Trap 22 Jun 2011, 3:32pm

Ah yes, that ol chestnut, yes, you know with some of the men “if she don’t fancy me or agree with me she must be a lesbian” ploy
    Haven’t heard it for a while.
    Clearly some people are born idiots.

1. Well I’m attracted to guys, but I think he’s flattering himself somewhat. He looks like god’s gift to doughnut retailers.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 8:41am

Guess he’s getting his two pennies worth in before people hear his name and say, Who?

1. I’m already saying that, Jock.

As for his statement, if it looks like a PR stunt, and sounds like a PR stunt, it is probably a PR stunt.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Jun 2011, 4:43pm

Yep, er… whats his name again?
            ;)

8. Another, this time gross and inept, nobody we’ve never heard of gets free publicity here.

9. I have always thought he was gay anyway. Just been waiting for him to pop out of the closet…………

10. Well, he gave an explanation, but it wasn’t an excuse for that behaviour. How pathetic to use ‘gay’ as an insult. Even the ten year olds in my class know better than to make such a silly comment. How childish. I always thought Cee Lo Green was kind of cool before, but not now.

1. I’m no arbiter of cool but really, you thought that?
      He’s almost as wide as he is tall which may explain the sensitivity about his masculinity, he’s not exactly the fittest looking dude in the world and you wouldn’t need to be a lesbian to want to brush that off.

1. Yes, Pavlos :D I’d seen him singing on TV a few times and thought his voice was quite cool. His appearance? Yes, I couldn’t miss the fact that he’s large, but I didn’t even think about that apart from in a medical/health sense. I can’t really explain, but I don’t really see men’s appearance at all in an aesthetic sense – er, not surprisingly :D I’ll take your expert opinion ;)

11. The tosser’s making a whole load of assumptions,one of them being that he’s actually such a huge star everyone ‘get’s his character traits & understands them! The other assumption is that the music critic had to be male AND gay for not speaking of his show in a favourable light! Hmmm,methinks this wounded little diva is in the wrong profession.Or maybe he can only accept the gushing platitudes.Assuming there ARE any.WHO is he,really?! Off to a lbgt youth centre with you!

12. Typical male african american view….

1. This is racist – I’ve reported it

1. Yet it’s still here – as are many other racist and offensive comments on PN. I’ve reported some numerous times, but they’re left here for ages – sometimes permanently.

2. It’s not racist….it’s the honest truth….deal with it!

1. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 8:00pm

That’s the definition of racist isn’t it: that someone thinks something is true of someone else purely by virtue of their race as opposed to their behaviour.
          Just because you honestly believe it to be true does not stop it being racist – you’re clearly a racist yourself…..

3. It is not racist. It is well known that there is a strong sense of homophobia in the black community. The same with the asian community. I’m not saying that there is no homophobia in the white community, but what i am telling you is that homophobia is more prominent in the black community. Black people will even tell you that. Numerous studies have shown that its the truth.

1. Sam Maloney 9 Jan 2012, 6:53pm

We all know that homophobia is not inborn, it’s a product of the culture you are raised in… and Black culture is far more homophobic than white at this particular moment in time. It is not racist to recognize this fact.

13. Another black, has been (never was), has found away to get free publicity. You fat gutter scum, hope it back fires on you.
    Just look at your fat greasy picture. Throw Back, I know what group, I would like to turn you over to. (Bet you don’t have to guess, swinging, la de da, swinging.)

1. This is horrifically racist – I’ve reported it

14. DJ Sheepiesheep 22 Jun 2011, 9:28pm

Guess who’s music I won’t being playing……..for a fecking long time!

15. I don’t for a second read this as homophobic. It reads to me as an assumption rather than homophobia.
    When he says “I’m guessing you’re gay? And my masculinity offended you? Well fock you!” I thought he was being ironic as his performances are always high camp and of course ‘Well fock you!’ is the name of his hit song.(Ironically PN wont allow me to quote the title even though it is lifted from the PN article itself!)
    I am, as usual, horrified by the high number of knee-jerk racist responses which is sadly typical on Pink News Comments boards whenever a black performer is accused of homophobia.
    The sooner PN formulates a moderated system to deal with this the better.

1. jamestoronto 23 Jun 2011, 1:45am

I agree with you on “the high number of knee-jerk racist responses” which and absolutely unnecessary. But I still think it to be homophobic on his part. For someone who claims to be a liberal artist, (the artist part is open to debate) he should understand the power of words and their ability to inflict so much pain and harm on others.

1. I agree – the racists comments here are horrid. I had hoped that the UK was better than my own country (USA) with regards to racism – afterall, your country set the slaves free much earlier than ours (We had to have a civil war) and then during WWII your country was apalled at our segregated units. With that said – he was certainly homophobic – to call someone gay and being threatened by his ‘masculinity’ is very homophobic. What he doesn’t seem to realize is that you open any gay men’s magazine and there are tons of men with six-pack stomachs and biceps bigger than his head. Hetro men are so insecure and then gay bash to make themselves feel better.

1. I have no idea what the nationality of the racist commenters is, but don’t assume they’re all from the UK. Unless you’re talking about the failure to remove racist comments from this site, in which case I completely agree. It’s wrong.

2. While i don’t agree with some peoples responses on here. I have to say that there is such a thing as free speech.

16. Robin Evans 23 Jun 2011, 1:56am

Must we forgive every slime-bag celebrity who begs to get off just because their filthy mouths will potentially effect the fan base…?

Fu*k them, let them get out there and campaign for our rights and then I’ll consider accepting their apologies…

Until then the scumbags can Fu*k the Fu*k off!!!

1. Well said Robin!

1. Peter Gregory 23 Jun 2011, 7:13am

It’s difficult to comment on this without being seen as racist. I remember attending (years ago), the Gay Pride in Brixton, London. I was homophobically abused SIX times in a really aggressive way and had bottles and stones thrown at me. Mugabe and also the African churches and the American evangelical ones lead the abuse these days, with their threats of murder and regularly, gays in Caribbean countires, visiting as tourists and on cruise ships are attacked and abused. Yet we are not allowed to speak out against this without being labelled “racist”. (I live in a Moslem country and although I read online about homphobia in London’s East End by Moslems, I haven’t had any problems here myself.).

1. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 8:07pm

Nope – its not at all difficult to comment on this and keep racism out of it.
          You like all the other racist posters on here are mixing two things up – one your perception of his homophobia and two that he’s a black man: which is what makes your post (and the others racist).
          Because Cee-Lo is black you are then using that fact as a springboard to launch into a commentary about other black homophobia.
          Deal with one topic at a time – its really easy.
          If you believe Cee-Lo is homophobic then talk about that – if you believe he isn’t then talk about that.

17. there’s no excuse for bigotry, you can communicate and insult with bigotry, terms like idiot, over-rated, heretodaygonetomorrow etc work

18. What if I say you are big bl@ck f@t c@nt?
    Would it be offensive?

1. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 8:09pm

reported..

19. As a gay man myself, Mr. Green’s comment isnt acceptable. And in the same term, most idiotic reacist here aren’t either.

You cant be disagreeing with someone for phobia by being one… it amounts to idiocy.
    Blacks are not exceptionally homophobic. So get a life you morons and be objective in your arguments please

1. Staircase2 24 Jun 2011, 8:10pm

agreed…..

20. burningworm 23 Jun 2011, 4:14pm

It never matters what someones says, all that matters is how you respond.

Gay is a pergorative for most heteros. Whether they are lib or con. Cee lo is a person who said something that every straight person says. They see an attack on their heterosexuality as a sign of not being a man=gay being the optimal word of insult. As James Baldwin said fag was created so that heteros could sleep with a guy and not be it.

It is almost as if the illusion of inclusion has you all believing that we have no history. The anti gay rant will rein on, it will take decades to work its way through.

Act, stop reacting!

21. I don’t think I can imagine Ce-Lo Green and the word masculinity in the same sentence….What a “groot vrau”…,

22. If gay people are such minority in western world why when make their bad comment they always become so a apologetic… that is to say we run their big st8 world