First gay couple for Neighbours

1. martyn notman 20 Jun 2011, 11:56am

oh please…harold and madge were clearly a gay couple…!

1. burningworm 20 Jun 2011, 3:21pm

lol

2. I hope they make it a long term relationship.

Bob Morley is hot!

3. Are the acting and the script any better?
    I’ve been avoiding it for years.

1. I caught an episode the other week when having lunch at my mothers and although I didnt recognise many of the characters i thought the acting was marginally better and the script OK … still not exactly Oscar winning material – although it has been the spring board for some significant names.

4. Dan Filson 20 Jun 2011, 1:10pm

I forecast a short story line, lots of rows, then a truck hits one of them. Gay characters are not allowed to reach pension age

1. I hope you are wrong … but it frustrates me that no soap or long drama has had a lengthy gay relationship (that I can recall)

1. Well yes, but then there are very few straight relationships in soaps that last more than a few years. Apart from the writers’ need to inject drama into the show, often leading to dramatic break-ups, there’s also the fact that actors move on – so often writers really don’t have that much control over how long characters stay together. A Jack and Vera Duckworth-type couple is very much the exception in soapland.

1. Vera and Jack, Ken and Deirdre, Roy and Hayley, Kevin and Sally (ok ended now but were years!) …

Thats just Coronation Street – there are plenty of examples in Emmerdale, Dallas, Casualty and others of heterosexual long terms partnerships

I can’t think of any same sex ones.

1. Well yes, but they’re still s tiny proportion of all the relationships in soaps (and as for Ken and Deirdre or Kevin and Sally – if a gay couple were depicted cheating on each other as many times as they have I’m sure many commenters here would be up in arms).

2. burningworm 20 Jun 2011, 3:50pm

Everything comes to an end.

The only way i can see it being done would be to have an old couple join a soap, who have been together off screen for 43 years but the public want childhood flesh.

So, If you want to see a long term partnerships you’ll have to wait cause they don’t exist. It is only 2011. The 80 & 90′s are still in fashion, we are on a constant rewind.

5. Neighbours has always amazed me with just how socially conservative it is, at least in comparison to it’s British counterparts. Still, it’s good to see they’re catching up.

6. I WILL PLAY HIS PARTNER..IM.42…HAIRY CHEST….HAVE THE ACCENT…. GDAY MATE….CANT WAIT TILL WE DO THE ON SCREEN TV KISS…..NEIGHBOURS EVERYONE NEED GOOD NEIGHBOURS….

7. Spanner1960 20 Jun 2011, 6:39pm

Jeez. Is that old rubbish still going?

8. de Villiers 21 Jun 2011, 12:41am

I do not see why being gay cannot define the character. I am quite sure that being gay makes up a large part of the way I interpret the world.

9. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2011, 8:48am

Is that still going?
    ;)

10. Wow. Neighbours is really late to the party! I (vaguely) recall rival soap “Home and Away” when it screened on ITV having lesbians in it back when you couldn’t show lesbians on telly at 6 in the evening! (I don’t remember the character, but she was a foster kid, I think, and her love interest was staying in a caravan, and the episodes were cut to ribbons so it was hard to know what the heck was going on).

1. Yes the UK also cut Lucy Robinson’s incest storyline fron ‘Neighbours’. What a conservative country! Especially given the fact that Australians soaps ‘Number 96′, ‘The Box’, ‘Prisoner’ all had gay and lesbian characters, and gay couples and lesbian couple, in the 1970s! Pretty embarassing really.

11. Holly Roberts 25 Jun 2011, 2:36am

Well, I’m happy that Chris will finally have a storyline again – but from the comment I’m getting about the Australian TV rules, it might not be much of one. Two thirds of the actors who suditioned to play Chris left when they were told he as a gay character, and as much as I admire how well James Mason, the actor who got the role, dealt with the issue, he admits he’s not sure how he’d react if they asked him to kiss another guy. It clearly won’t be dealt with one par with a straight relationship, which is so sad, considering how far the UK, Germany and Denmark have come. A long term relationship – I’d be happy with a realistic one. I’m not asking for gratuitous sex – just not another gay relationship wher the boys are depicted as really good friends who have sleep over – it’s so depressing!

1. James Mason’s acting in Chris’s long passionate kiss with Aidan looked pretty convinving to me.