Anne Robinson criticised for asking a vicar if his shirt was ‘gay’ in Weakest Link episode

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 7:32am

I guess with the program finally coming to an end next year she’s got to get some headlines in somewhere, somehow.

2. Dan Filson 19 Jun 2011, 7:54am

The old defence, “It was just banter”, wheeled out, though I notice they edited it out. It will be never be too soon when she goes out to grass later this year

3. This annoys me. My sister is 12 now and she and her school friends have started Callum things gay with a negative connotation including myself. Only yesterday she kept calling me gay. I sat with her and said there’s nothing wrong with being gay…. To which I got back there is if it’s you…

People in media and te public eye have a responsibility to get away from these tired and outdated expressions then perhaps my friends and family will stop saying everything’s gay.

1. The problem is that there aren’t any positive messages about being gay in most schools or on kids’ TV. The Coalition government has allowed this to continue. Stoke Newington School is a notable exception.

1. de Villiers 19 Jun 2011, 6:33pm

A story about the Weakest Link turns into another complaint about the political right!
        It’s a bit like when Lord Tebbit suggested that some fault for heterosexual obesity lay with gay rights.

1. Are the Lib Dems the political right in your opinion?

4. The first post modern anti gay ad was this renault clio ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38P1j-quVw4
    Gay implied cowboy at 25 seconds gets a look of comtempt. This ad was extremely popular and I reckon was the start of the backlash

5. good riddance to her and the programme.

6. She’s probably in lockstep with Melanie Phillips. The sort of thing she would say. Tongue-in cheek, my arse,nasty bitch!

7. Paddyswurds 19 Jun 2011, 5:04pm

What a prat. Ms Robinson was clearly referring to the fact the shirt was in the pattern of what is accepted as the Gay flag. This whinger needs to get a personality transplant, altho i think it would probably be rejected by his hang ups.

1. I totally agree!

8. And yet… the BBC let Moyles get away with it!

9. Tom Stoppard 19 Jun 2011, 7:29pm

The majority of people who “watch” that stale old show are people with Alziehmers, propped up in tv lounges in old people’s homes.

Which is kind of appropriate really – because Robinson’s weird ravings do sound like someone who has lost most of their mentla faculties.

10. Might not have been a pejorative in the sense everyone is jumping on. It was a multicoloured striped pattern – the flag associated with Gay pride.

Maybe she meant it that way, in which case everyone’s getting very upset over not much really…

Also, on another note, the BBC are rackin up the brownie points lately – telling all those complainers to bugger off about gay hugs n kisses then cutting potentially offensive remarks – bit of a turnaround.

11. A ‘rainbow striped shirt’ that seems to be made up mainly of those well-known colours of the rainbow pink, grey and peach.

1. Hahahahaha,yup,those colours ARE in there,somewhere,NOT!

12. Seriously – is this a story?

The comment was mean but it was edited out before broadcast.

I really don’t think this merits reporting on.

I think the fact that the BBC eited it out means they are aware that people would be massively and professionally offended by the comment, aqnd therefore cut it.

Ann Robinson says a LOT worse things to the older contestants on that show.

It’s an act. Get over it.

1. Chutneybear 20 Jun 2011, 11:02am

Agreed, I noticed some people havent had their Sugar Puffs yet, oh look I did an Anne Robinson rofl! Lads really we have more things to worry about such as our gay brethern getting beaten up and killed in Uganda and Iran. Honestly FFS this story is a non runner!

13. Chutneybear 20 Jun 2011, 11:00am

How long till a few knobs on here try to “reclaim” the word gay 8S

14. I always think that a good watershed to be used if anyone is not sure whether or not their words will be considered offensive is quite simply this ” if I replace the considered word with “black/jewish etc” would it still be ok? If not, then don’t use it – simples!
    Anyone now days who says that the word gay, said in a derogotory manner, is “just a bit of banter” is, in my opinion quite a nasty piece of work.

15. that shirt is a rainbow flag shirt so quite gay, and she has argued with religious people over there views on homosexuality which also gets cut. She will argue about anything that can get someone riled up thats what she’s payed to do

1. I don’t quite see how it can be a ‘rainbow flag shirt’, as none of the colours on it are in the rainbow flag.

1. There very similar to them and you could easily mistake it for a rainbow shirt so she’s justified for thinking it was a rainbow flag shirt

1. More like a sodding deck-chair than a ‘rainbow flag’,lol!

16. But surely she wasn’t using it in a homophobic sense; she was commenting on the fact that it was a rainbow pattern- which is associated with the LGBT rights movement.

1. that’s the way I saw it

1. Deck-chair!

17. Hello! I’ve lived abroad for 22 years and I thought Robinson was dead. I mean, does any of you (or anyone at all!) still listen to this spiteful, talentless woman? I know I’m speaking from a position of British Tv ignorance but she was on the skids when I left.

1. Hahahaha,it’s just what we,the viewing audience have to ‘put up with’ on Brit tv,sadly!

18. burningworm 20 Jun 2011, 4:02pm

The host has always been criticised for her comments. Its part of the show. The Vicar knew, why else would he wear a shirt that would bring on a spur-it is in the spirit of the game which is a masculine memory game.

19. RestlessWind 20 Jun 2011, 4:46pm

I would have just told her that Yes, since it spends most of it’s time hanging in a closet with other shirts, it’s probably gay, but that her question really reveals much more about HER than it does about my shirt!

20. If,as reported,La Robinson is leaving the show next year why don’t the BBC simply withdraw the show as well?! I mean,seriously,it became ‘tired’ & unentertaining after season 1.As for Robinson,she’s really just an ageing,cosmetically-enhanced ‘hack’ who’s clearly desperate for recognition.She’s made her money now,surely,she can afford to sod off & take up knitting,or something! Bye-bye Mrs Robinson,bye-bye!

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2011, 11:11am

I thought they were?
      Last I heard was the Weakest Link was due to finish, 2012.