BBC now has to defend Holby City gay kiss

1. Well done to the BBC.

2. concerned resident of E3 17 Jun 2011, 2:58pm

hmm there seems to be something orchestrated about these bloc complaints against issues that run contrary to Catholic teaching. The recent Terry Pratchet programme about euthanasia attracted similar numbers of complaints, most received before the programme even screened.

3. The 100 plus viewers that complained should go and get a life. What about all the hetro sex that we gays have to put up with? We pay our licence fees too and should be entitled to some same sex action. Anyway, in this day and age, it shouldn’t matter!

1. Jheez , some people need to get out more.I mean if we all complained about the millions of straight kisses n border line pre water shed sex scenes! And as for children getting “confused” if your bringing them up to be multicultural then I’m sure they won’t pondor on such scenes for too long

2. billy wingarden 18 Jun 2011, 8:03am

And one of the guys is black also.

It must drive the christians and the few remaining catholix crazy.

I can just see them holding their crotches, trying to hide the sticky wet spot.

BTW re the hater streams, their hate goups send out action alerts/

thats why so often you see a whole stream of religious poiosn, and the the good people start popping up ont he blog

1. @Billy

Are you now suggesting that all Christians are both homophobic and racist …

Sheesh … reverse bigotry if I ever heard it

1. Paddyswurds 18 Jun 2011, 8:21pm

@Stu re billy…
          ….i don’t think that is what he is suggesting but i’m betting that the majority if not all the complaints came from the Abrahamic fiction crowd. Definitely not all xtians are homophobic….I live in Catholic Ireland (altho now largly secularised due to the paedo scandals) and i as an openly gay man experience NO homophobia, well other than from my holier than thou brother.

4. The “Christian” right have become much more rabid since the Tories got in.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if all these complaints were part of an orchestrated campaign. I know it’s not fair play to point fingers but looking at the “Christian” Institute website for example, and homosexuality is one of their primary targets. They incessantly post stories about homosexuality in soaps, to the point of obsession.

5. Dan Filson 17 Jun 2011, 3:01pm

It may be politically incorrect to say so, but extremely kissable

6. GayWebHosting 17 Jun 2011, 3:08pm

Who cares less what these rabid homophobes think?

Soaps are supposed to show a slice of real life… Not a sanitised version that the god-squad would like to see..

I watched the scene and there was nothing ‘shocking’ about it at all.. One ‘straight’ man, who appears to be struggling with his sexuality, kissed a gay man… Gay men kiss… Get over it sky-pilot followers!

As someone said above.. We have to watch open displays of heterosexual affection on TV all the time.. and we pay our licence fees also!

1. Absolutely

I felt vey pleased with the BBC response to both this and the Eastenders complainst. Its a grown up and honest response from an organisation trying to meet its editorial obligations to represent the society it serves with integrity and honour.

7. Be certain to start complaining that shows are not gay enough. Whenever a show focuses only on heterosexual relationships, contact the BBC to complain that it is too heterosexual and not inclusive enough of non-heterosexuals. Hopefully that will lead to even more equitable portrayals of gay human beings.

8. Give me a break! TV shows have kisses between 2 females and no one bats an eyelash. The same can be said for 2 girls holding hands walking down the street.

These people need to wake up and join the 21st Century.

9. It’s about time the BBC stopped justifying themselves for this sort of thing. A simple “homosexual relationships are no different to heterosexual relationships” answer should be all that’s required.

1. Agreed. And in just the same way they don’t need any any more “consultations” on gay portrayal.

1. They havent suggested a consultation

They have more or less said what you suggest George, with a few extra words about the BBC representing society fairly – which is in virtually every response to a complaint about editorial judgement in drama

I cant see what you have to complain about from the BBC’s response

10. Jock S. Trap 17 Jun 2011, 3:23pm

I’d like to know if those 100 people belonged to any groups and if so how many actually saw the program.

11. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a good number of complaints weren’t from supressed or married gays. Why would a child get upset or confused seeing two guys kiss? If a child asks why they are kissing then the parent should say because they like or love each other very much rather than the response we know they are likely to get from bigots.

1. Thank you for that link. I have sent my congratulations to Aunty & hope everyone else that agrees does so too. Their positive attitude needs to be encouraged by less bigoted licence payers.

12. I read this, and thought why didn’t the BBC, in an eloquent manner tell these raging homophobes to get over themselves.

13. The only reason a child would be confused by this is because they had been lied to be their bad parents. Most children these days grow up fully aware that there are gay and straight people in the world.

14. How many, or indeed, how few, complaints does the Beeb have to receive before it is obliged to defend what it broadcasts? The 100 or so from a viewing public of these programmes of millions suggests that these petty complainants should just be ignored!

15. Quote from the article: “One viewer complained that it could “confuse” children”.

No, darling, it sounds like you are the one confusing your children!

16. Well done Aunty!

from Malik’s wikipedia entry (section about the kiss): “The BBC discussion programme Points of View received some complaints about the kiss, from viewers dismayed that Holby City was “following the trend” of depicting gay relationships. Frances Ryan of The Guardian responded, “Whether said complainers thought that the on-screen depiction of straight people or indeed the interaction of humans generally was similarly a compliance to fantastical trends remains unseen””

1. Great quote from Ryan. :)

17. OK looks like this is probably the kiss in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4TFzuMMHQY Go ahead and complain about the quality of the script writing and characterisation. But if the act itself is of no greater intensity/intimacy than a hetero couple would have at the same time of day or in the same show then there is no issue here. Anyone else sense some uptight pack of christians getting in a tizzy? Weren’t we told, when the Beeb had that idiot Stephen Green on that they did not listen to organised protests?

1. There was quite a lot of violence just before the kiss. Maybe that was why people complained?

18. I sense organised protests by some cluster of uptight christians getting themselves in a tizzy. Now, weren’t we told when the BBC had Stephen Green on for comment during a story on Elton John’s surrogacy, that they didn’t listen to organised protests? Simply put – if the kiss was of the same level of intensity or intimacy as a straight kiss, then the protests are irrelevant.

19. ‘One viewer complained that it could “confuse” children.’
    You mean because you’ve indoctrinated your child into believing homosexuality doesn’t or shouldn’t exist?
    You’re confusing children by sweeping it under the rug because you’re too ashamed of it.

1. Not to mention extremely dangerous if the child discovers he’s gay! Most of the anguished coming out storylines on TV seem to be based on the disconnect between the teen’s attractions and the indoctrination inflicted on him/her for a decade by the loving parents. If I were the BBC, I wouldn’t say anything – they probably get 100 letters complaining about the weather or asking “when is the Blitz going to end?”

2. Spanner1960 21 Jun 2011, 5:27pm

No they didn’t, they complained about Eastenders, not this.
      Get your facts right.

20. The answer is simple to this and other such complaint wavelets. They are very likely organised by some of the swivel-eyed homophobe agit-groups. So we should be more organised too and every time such an event occurs we should send in several hundred ‘non-complaints’ or congratulations. Then the BBC would have to report that at the same time as reporting the complaints. Surely someone could organise a group (twitter/facebook/email) that could respond in numbers very easily and quickly? Then just 100 or so complaints would soon cease to be news-worthy.

21. Martin Lawrence 17 Jun 2011, 5:00pm

Here’s a bit of oil to throw on the fire: does the fact that a black man was involved give these ludicrous people the shivers even more than two white men kissing? Hatred is rarely restricted to one issue.

1. Excellent point!

2. Spanner1960 18 Jun 2011, 6:07pm

Yeah. That’s true. I fcuking hate Casualty too.

22. For pity’s sake,do these whingers not know where the “on/off” button is on their remotes?! One idiot even had the gall to sugget ‘it might confuse children’ Hell,I would’ve thought it’d be an ideal opportunity to open up a discussion about the ‘birds & bees’,of ALL persuasions! But yet again we’re expected to be satisfied with our second class citizen status! Well,sorry hetty world but it really is about time to wake up & smell the skinny frappalatte! We’re here,we aint going anywhere,deal with it!
    For once,well done BBC!

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 9:24am

Here! Here!
      Thought I still think it’s time the BBC were made to go it alone without us having to pay a licence fee.
      With all the channels available it doesn’t seem fair to pay £145 a year for 2 main channels, two freeview channels I certainly don’t watch and the another £240 a year plus to have subscription TV.
      Hundreds of channels mind and Still nothing on.

1. Not supporting licence fee but BBC pays for BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBC News Channel, BBC Parliament, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC World Service, BBC Radio 1, Radio 1 xtra, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Radio 5Live, Radio 5Live extra, Radio 6 Music, Radio 4 extra, Asian Network, local radio and BBC online. There is also the commerical acitivies of BBC World, BBC America etc that demonstrate the commercial viability of some of the BBC service – whether all the public broadcasting could be sustained without the licence fee, I doubt – but there could either be alternative taxation or a reduced licence fee to preserve essential public service? How that is determined, is subjective.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 1:13pm

None of which I listen to or watch.
          if I have a choice not to listen or watch I should have the choice weither to pay for them or not.
          Would be Not in my case.
          £145 is a lot of money when I don’t watch or listen to the BBC.
          I pay £240 a year for channels I want so why shouldn’t that be enough?

1. @Jock S Trap

I take your point and on the whole I concur.

I do personally watch BBC from time to time and particularly enjoy Question Time and find their news far better than Sky. There are occasional other programmes that I also enjoy, but that does not change your situation where you do not participate with BBC programming.

I would argue there is a role for a small public broadcasting fee perhaps within taxation to replace the licence fee to ensure that news, public interest broadcasting and government broadcasting (in an emergency) can be maintained – but clearly that would not require the current level of funding.

23. Wait till the so called “christian” right hears about the same-sex marriage consultation.

These people clearly have nothing better to complain about. Why don’t they just turn their t.v off or better yet, turn the channel to another one. “Confused” children is a lame excuse.

Why not ban religious broadcasts to give them a dose of their own medicine? I jest.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 9:26am

I know you jest but boy if that was to happen we’d never hear the last of it.

1. It has been diluted – I remember the days when ITV used to have Sir Harry Secombe and Highway every Sunday due to their publlic service broadcasting commitment to religious broadcasting – that has now been removed.

24. THE KISS WAS SO FAST I NEARLY MISSED IT……lol

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 9:26am

Good job you didn’t blink then, innit?

25. Why does the BBC have to justify something that broke no laws?

26. Well done,kiss again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Compliment send to Auntie Beeb to congratulate them on their sensitive, appropriate and balanced handling of this storyline

28. Sam Maloney 17 Jun 2011, 9:10pm

Seems to me the story should be looked at from the perspective that of the millions of viewers, only a hundred complained.

I hope the BBC keeps the names and addresses on file, so we can find out if its the same small bunch every time– seems likely to be an organized group…

29. Piper Peter 17 Jun 2011, 10:11pm

Suspect the religious right is organising this

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 9:27am

Wondering how many are the same ones who complained about Eastenders?

30. …can’t wait til they shag! I’ve just become a Holby fan!

31. Antoine Malick’s gay kiss was fuc*&^%
    hot. I would have loved to be on the receiving end of those very hot lips. Hey if the winners didn’t like what they saw they could have changed the channel.

32. Straight kiss, gay kiss, who cares…as long as we love. But all this killing and violence on telly is really to worry about. No one seems to complain about shooting, stabbing and verbal abuse they shower over us constantly.

33. Anyone notcide how these things increase when you let the tories back in.
    Can we really be surprised this happens when our govt contains people such as:
    Michael Gove who launched a sexual health group involving the homophobic hate group CARE.
    Or Nadine Dorries mp who has close ties with christian concern for our nation.
    Or the charming Phillip Davies MP who as far as i can tell is both unashamedly racist and homophobic!

34. Mr Ripley's Asscrack 18 Jun 2011, 12:03pm

I’m probably at odds to most of views posted here, but I always feel that my sexuality is only ever portrayed as controversial and invariably only used to boost ratings or get column inches. I’m fed up of TV shows like this dishwater dull ‘drama’ using a gay kiss to boost dwindling popularity. If they were gay people they would be gay 24/7, not gay for a stolen kiss. Stay tuned for the death, redundancy or otherwise disappearance of one or both of the characters involved… Perhaps 99 of the complaints were concerned boring, repetitive scripts or the continual flogging of the dead horse. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

1. I can see your argument but your sexuality is part of the rich fabric of society which the BBC seeks to protray therefore to ignore it would be wrong. I think the shock controversy type of inclusion of gay storylines is outdated and the BBC are trying to portray human relationship regardless of the orientation in similar ways – some relationships will work, some will work for a while, some won’t

2. Spanner1960 18 Jun 2011, 6:10pm

I hate to be the one to say it, but the essence of all good drama is conflict. To have a show that depicts the day-to-day lives of most of us would bore everyone sh|tless. The whole point is to set up a recognisable scenario, and then, to coin a cliché, throw a Spanner in the works.

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 9:30am

I’ve thought that for a long time.
      We only seem worthy of controversial story plots and then dropped like we don’t have normal lifes like everyone else.

1. Family Guy has some background characters in long term same sex relationships.
        Numerous gay relationships in Waterloo Road – none very long term but some over several years.
        There were the gay couple in The Brittas Empire
        Chris Pappas in Neighbours appears to be a stable gay person but is not in a relationship.

There obviously have been and are other good examples of good protrayal of gay characters. There have been portrayals of good gay relationships (both the good and bad bits of relationships!). However, I have yet to see a dynamic long term relationship in a major character in a TV soap, long term drama etc.

Most of the above were tongue in cheek justifications just to show how far you have to trawl to try and find reasonable and realistic appraisals of gay relationships on screen.

35. The truth is the parents who are Christians do not want to their children to see the truth. The real world is people kissing people, men kiss men and women kiss women, that is the real world and should not confuse anybody because that is what people do. if anything they should kiss more not less, God knows we need some real love in the world today to counter the all of the hate religion is making.

36. Isn’t being gay a white man’s disease? Well done BBC.

1. gay isn’t disease

1. Spanner1960 19 Jun 2011, 9:07am

I think he was being sarcastic. That’s what the African Christians refer to it as. As if there are no gay black people.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 9:32am

For some reason my partner has always enjoyed debating that one.
          It always ends up my fault though.
          Apparently I musty have turning him.
          It doesn’t matter he was born Gay had relationships before me.

1. How is it that a boyfriend always manages to find some way to blame it on their partner … it used to both amuse and annoy me lol

2. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 1:19pm

Stu
            My BF doesn’t blame me but his family and their Christian ‘friends’ do.
            We don’t see them very often, I personally would rather stay away.
            The fact they can say Gay isn’t a Black thing it’s a White thing and don’t see their own racism is beyond me.
            I avoid the in-laws at all costs.

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2011, 1:20pm

I have one of them dreadful mother in laws you avoid at all costs…lol

4. @Jock S Trap

I’m glad I havent had to experience that – sounds a very awkward and difficult experience. Although my mother is religious and has difficulties with my sexuality – my ex partner managed to win her round and partially re-educate her. She loved him. I have always liked my in-laws with all my long term partners.

5. Jock S. Trap 20 Jun 2011, 1:13pm

I’m lucky that I have a very supportive Mum and Dad (it took a while for my Dad) so it kind of makes the ‘in-laws’ a duty rather than a necessity.

6. Spanner1960 20 Jun 2011, 6:44pm

Staircase:
            People like you dismiss my political views just like others dismiss minorities. We may not agree with each other, but we all have to share the same planet. It just so happens my comment happens to align with your opinions at this space in time, much like a solar eclipse. Tomorrow it will be back to normal.

2. Spanner1960 20 Jun 2011, 8:58am

I have discovered that a lot of bigots will say things like “I hate blacks, except Mr Odogo next door is a nice chap” etc.

People will make sweeping attacks on groups or minorities, but rarely on individuals, because it is the group ethic that people see, not the personal one. The same goes for apparently homophobic people that will dismiss an entire swathe of a community, but when they actually get to know one or two gay people, somehow, they aren’t like all the rest.

If you want to stop homophobia, it can’t be done from a national scale with things like hate crime laws etc, it has to be done one by one, little by little, and every gay person should just do their bit to convince just one other that we are all simply human beings and have the same lives, loves, hopes and fears as everybody else.

1. Staircase2 20 Jun 2011, 3:52pm

Thats the most sensible thing youve ever said – why cant all your posts be that lucid?

37. Before everyone gets too carried away praising the BBC for this Holby City story, I suggest a bit of internet research about Oasis Academy group and in particular the Oasis MediaCityUK links with the BBC.

38. Spiritbody 20 Jun 2011, 1:16pm

Soaps are allowed to show someone getting shot, someone getting stabbed, someone getting buried under the patio, someone cheating on their wife and family, but not two men kissing or sharing a bed. This world has its priorities in totally the wrong order!

39. Staircase2 20 Jun 2011, 3:51pm

Full marks BBC – keep up the good work!

40. Staircase2 20 Jun 2011, 4:02pm

This is the great thing about the legal changes. It now means that organisations like the BBC have a DUTY to show gay relationships in the same way they would str8 ones.
    About bloody time too!
    Hoorah!

41. Did any of you actually see the kiss?

Predictably Pink News has skimped on the details and painted it as just an inoffensive gay kiss and you gays come on like trained seals honking with outrage.

The two men were fighting, one was strangling the other and began kissing him. The other responded and kissed his strangler back.

Possibly people were offended by the inappropriate violence preluding the kiss? (I doubt the BBC would have dared pull this stunt with a woman kissing her strangler back without expecting similar audience disapproval.)

42. 100 ish people out of how many thousands that were watching?

Why side with the FEW that moan lol over the tens of thousands that don’t have a problem.

43. Don Harrison 2 Sep 2011, 2:18pm

Wow, I would kiss Antoine Malick

44. Don Harrison 2 Sep 2011, 2:23pm

They take notice of the moaners. the majority who are happy say nothing.
    We are need to tell them take in was good.
    Don

45. Honut Sinti 5 Sep 2011, 7:53pm

Baking crazy cakes.

46. Simon Paul 13 Dec 2011, 3:02pm

“It could confuse children” ?? or maybe just make some of them realise it’s ok to be gay, bi- etc. I don’t like to point fingers but I’m more than sure it was a religious type who voiced this opinion. Completely agree with T Baker btw. This is just an example of desperate behaviour by desperate types for seemingly “desperate times”

47. Yuck, I would be offended that ANYONE would yellow-eyed kiss black man, Antoine Malick.

Blacks are diseased nasty creatures.
    Blacks have Gonorrhea rates 1200% higher than all other races. Herpes rates 650% higher than all other races. AIDS rates 3000% higher than all other races.
    You’d be safer kissing a plague rat festering with oozing boils.