Tory councillor censured for gay ‘queens’ remark

1. Carl Rogers 16 Jun 2011, 12:14pm

What a prat! And what’s a “stream team” anyway?

2. The only form of stream team I have ever come across was a streaming team to determine how to reorganise services

He is an idiot and doesnt deserve to hold public office if his ability to raise debate is lacking the sophistication and honesty that this evidence portrays.

I also think its a lame situation that they are prepared to say it might have been stream and not scream.

He clearly is belittling both domestic violence and the LGBT communities.

3. I think he should be censured for telling rubbish jokes, not for the queen remark!

4. Of course he doesn’t understand why people are offended – he is white male and middle class, about as privileged as you can get without being born with a silver spoon in your mouth. And apparently, he also lacks empathy, decency or the capacity to not be a total tool…

5. Blacks can make “black jokes”, Jews can make “Jew jokes”, Queens can make “queen jokes”. Lethe her be :)

6. Andrew Hamm 16 Jun 2011, 12:55pm

“It isn’t taboo as far as I am concerned.” Erm, yes it is. :\

7. “I can’t understand why anyone would find it offensive” – No of course not you try calling black people the N word and see if they get offended. Queans can call people Queans, No one else can.

1. Chutneybear 16 Jun 2011, 1:19pm

and then they wonder why people cant stand them. Its not one rule for queens and another rule for us. Equality is for all…..flaps

1. I call gays puffs and queans etc but as a gay man I’m allowed, its the same as black people being able to call each other N****s.

1. Chutneybear 16 Jun 2011, 1:53pm

If we want equality that means letting everyone use the expression or not letting anyone at all use it. Do you not see how silly the argument is? This is like the no Homer club episode from the Simpsons!

1. Every minority has words that have been used to oppress them that they use as words for themselves. A way of making sure you never forget that oppression hence non minority groups can’t use them as they where the oppressors.

2. Chutneybear 16 Jun 2011, 2:41pm

I disagree Hamish but I do see your point! We can reclaim these words but it paints us in a bad light I feel !

1. I usually am all for what goes for them goes for us etc i.e. when the gay bars got told they couldn’t refuse straight couples etc, but on this it is something I believe is our right as an oppressed people maybe when we have true equality and homophobia is completely stamped out then it will either die out or become common usage.

2. I think what we have to keep in mind is the sorts of people who would even want to use these words.
            Those who were originally targeted with these insults may want to reclaim them to show their detractors that they won’t be intimidated.
            People who were never targeted by these words have no reason to reclaim them, and thus no reason to be using them. That just leaves people who want to use them to be “edgy & cool”, or as just plain insults. And no way should we ever care about what those people think of us.
            The only wiggle room left, then, is casual and ironic use. Anyone who’s comfortable using these terms on themselves should be fine with their close friends also using these words in an ironic manner. People like money-grubbing stand-up comedians and sleazy politicians are not my close friends. If they do have friends who are OK with them using such words, that’s fine: in private.

3. @Pumpkin Pie Homophobia is still rife in schools and alot of our youth culture so I think the majority of people will have had this term used against them.

4. PumpkinPie 17 Jun 2011, 5:19pm

Yeah, that’s why I’m not particularly keen on having people like this councillor thinking it’s alright to use it so freely.

3. Spanner1960 18 Jun 2011, 6:04pm

Why are you “allowed”? Who defined that rule?
          Either the term is acceptable or it isn’t.
          Personally I think all this bollocks about name-calling is PC bull. If I want to call a spade a spade I will do. My Mother taught me “sticks & stones etc” 45 years ago, and the same still applies today. Get a fcuking life.

8. Eurgh, he looks like the type of guy one sees in a certain bar in Charing Cross Road picking up young asian lads.

1. He reminds me of someone I arrested when I was a police officer

1. For obvious reasons I won’t reveal the offence or location but I was a sexual offence liaison officer at the time

2. Dan Filson 16 Jun 2011, 3:55pm

Oh tell me, where is that?

1. It wasn’t me.

1. No, your description didnt give me an image like this …

9. Jock S. Trap 16 Jun 2011, 1:09pm

“Mr Parker, the councillor for Brizes and Doddinghurst ward, accepted that he had used the word “queen” but did not consider it offensive.”

No, he thought he’d use it and get a laugh.

It backfired and he got caught out.

Does he regret it? Somehow I doubt it.

10. burningworm 16 Jun 2011, 1:26pm

We all have a crown.

11. Would this ignoramous like it if we called him and his ilk, breeders? Of course not. Its a word often used nowadays to describe ingnorant anti-gay heterosexuals who breed for the sake of it, derogatory in fact.

12. …Ignorant,Imeant to have said. My apologies for the incorrect spelling.

13. Jason Brown 16 Jun 2011, 1:40pm

I’m too busy being terrorfied by his face to read the article.

1. Yes, he has a horrorful face, like a grinning corpse frozen in a state of insane rigor mortis.

14. He has a face for radio!

15. Campbell Steven 16 Jun 2011, 1:57pm

I actually thought it was kinda funny…it clearly wasn’t serious.

1. He’s a politician – albeit a pathetic one, he should know (whether he intended it offensively or not) that words can be taken out of context and framed his comment accordingly

16. And why exactly would be refer to the domestic violence team as the ‘stream’ team? Obviously he said ‘scream’ and it is shameful that he has tried to lie about that!

It was obviously a misjudged joke, mildly offensive but not outrageous. He should just have owned up and apologised instead of trying to wriggle out of it, which just makes him look worse.

17. DJ Sheepiesheep 16 Jun 2011, 11:06pm

He’s an insensitive lying bigot, and now he’s been found out.

18. That “stream team” rubbish is a pile of stinking horse manure. He quite blatantly would have said “scream team”. He mocked victims of domestic violence and got away with it. That’s despicable.

1. Jock S. Trap 17 Jun 2011, 3:38pm

You make a valid point there.
      It does seem his controversial use of the word “queen” has somewhat diverted attention from the actual content of the comment as a whole.
      And let him off the hook for.