Knighthood for Section 28 backer Brian Souter

1. I wonder, if he was an out and out racist or anti semite if he would have got this ‘honour’?

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 11:43am

Indeed Ian, a fair point.
      Somehow I think not.

2. It certainly is an honour he has been given – I am certain his views make him receiving it incompatible … unless he has changed his views and publically recanted them – but personally I am not aware of this ….

It reminds me of a recent story on PN where the Commonwealth (slight link to honours) was blasted for being homophobic. The Secretary General of the Commonwealth explained that the Commonwealth stood against prejudice in all its forms. Many of us pointed out that if that is the case then they do so very quietly. Here, again, was an opportunity to demonstrate that they do not support homophobia and they honour (with a significant honour) one of the most blatant homophobes in recent public life. Disgraceful.

3. Exactly so. The problem is that you cannot openly exhibit those prejudices and be respectable. You still can re. homophobia. But, at the end of the day, I suspect that this instance of being honoured by Her Majesty on the advice of her Prime Minister has something to do with Tory party funds (swelling thereof).

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 12:18pm

He’s an SNP donator Riondo.

1. Yes, I knew that, but some rich folk hedge their bets. Another possibility is Cameron throwing a little bouquet to the Tory Right, whom he fears, and who love the likes of Souter.

4. Indeed Ian, that is the question that we need to have answered. I hope that someone will have the guts to do it in PMQs, but won’t hold my breath.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 2:22pm

Goes to show too many still think there are different degrees of discrimination.

2. Oh the dishonesty of these “religious” people. How much GOOD could have bee done with the £1million he spent to keep the clause. How much pain could have been relieved, how much hunger could have been eased, how many lives could have been saved. Foul, disgusting, despicable hypocrite. Honestly, when a name I recognise starts to trend on Twitter, I usually click to see if they have died. Sometimes I am disappointed….

1. I agree, Valksy …

However, I suspect he would argue that he gave significantly more to do good – and his view was that maintaining Section 28 was a good act – of course, he is wrong in that thinking ….

2. GayWebhosting 13 Jun 2011, 12:37pm

I could not agree more! These sick god-squad merchants kid themselves that they are doing ‘good’ for society, but instead they preach hatred and discrimination.

This man is free to spend his money in any way he pleases…. But he should NOT be honored for it!

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 11:42am

This is certainly one of the less deserving people thats for sure.
    A knighthood though sadly isn’t likely to be removed.

4. How does this knighthood malarkey work?

How did Souter even get nominated (or are members of the public allowed to nominate people?)

Who took the decision that Souter met the criteria for ‘knighthood’?

1. Anyone can nominate someone for an honour to HM Government – that is how many “normal” people receive OBEs etc.

Some are given on a political basis …

They are all supposedly vetted both for negativity in their background and misconduct – shame the process didnt work this time ….

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 11:57am

Anyone can nominate a British citizen for knighthood or other royal honors (although self-nomination is discouraged).
      Nominations from the public account for about a quarter of all recommendations.
      The Prime Minister and government departments usually submit the rest of the recommendations for the biannual Honors List.

3. How did he get nominated? Possible political move after donating a big pile of cash to the SNP? Of course, anyone who wasn’t a dribbling moron would realise the paradox between donating to a party that is big on scottish independence, and then accepting a British honour. But then hypocrisy is his bread and butter.

1. Her Majesty is Queen of Scots, regardless of being part of the UK or not. The Crowns of Scotland and England were united in 1603 when a Scottish King inherited the English throne (James VI). That was 104 years before the Treaty of Union which united the two independent countries of Scotland and England to form Great Britain. Independence has no bearing on the Union of the Crowns thus no bearing on who the Queen dishes out Honours to. So the only paradox is that you must be a dribbling moron, not the rest of us who know our history.

2. PS The term ‘British’ refers to the peoples of the Kingdoms and Provinces of these Isles. It most certainly does not mean ‘English’. Also the Queen would still be Head of State and monarch of an independent Scotland.

5. Or is it still possible to buy a knighthood?

1. A significant proportion do.

1. Indeed one is skeptical that some are still bought, however, recent events such as the requests from certain members of FIFA do point to propriety within the government with regards honours (when they choose to, perhaps)

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 12:05pm

I strongly suspect this was a SNP nomination somehow.

1. That would be my thought, Jock S Trap

1. I filled in a contact form on the Cabinet Office website to ask who nominated him under Freedom of Information. I’ve not heard back yet.

1. @BennieM

If you hear back, please do let us know on here

2. Yes, I will let you know if I hear back, which I should since they are supposed to reply to every single FOI request, even if it’s to say that can’t tell you. I’d also urge others to do the same and put in your own requests. The more they get, the more serious they’ll take it.

3. I have also made a request and will let you know if/when I receive a response

2. Well the Cabinet Office have acknowledged receipt of my FoI request (which will be dealt with in line with current procedures …)

1. I haven’t even received an acknowledgement for my FOI request and I submitted it on Saturday (11th June) when I first heard this news.

2. Colin Mackay 13 Jun 2011, 10:21pm

Are you sure that it was his donation to the SNP? There was a big fuss a few years ago when it was shown that Sean Connery was actively denied one for years because of his support to the SNP. It wasn’t until a big enough fuss was made that it was let through.

That was under a Labour Government. I can’t imaging a Tory government (even more unionist – It’s in their full name) would be would have been more sympathetic than a Labour one to someone who so openly supports the SNP.

… But politics is a strange beast and it always seems to twist and turn in strange ways from my point of view.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Jun 2011, 3:34pm

I figure we’ll see more of this, Scottish people of power getting titles as weight behind the referendum.
          Funny thing is they’re giving titles to the people who want independence.
          Surely the wrong way round.

1. Depends from which perspective you look at that, Jock

But sure – this honour was wrongly awarded

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Jun 2011, 3:09pm

Dunno Stu.
            It all smack of they want to rid of the system while happy enough to use it to their own benefit.

3. I dont think they want rid of the monarchy – and ultimately its the monarch who awards the honours …

6. For anyone who wants to know if his homophobic views have changed, the answer is no. Just take a look at his website.

1. Why do I get the feeling that the ghost author for the words on the front page of his website feels very uncomfortable writing the homophobic comments but feels obliged to by their employter ….

2. It is shocking – the man just cannot let this one go. He is still clearly proud of what he did!! Far from regretting it, it seems he would do it all over again. I had thought that perhaps, given the change in society’s views towards homosexuality, his would have changed too. Clearly I was very mistaken indeed. Deeply loathsome individual.

3. Am starting to wonder if a Knighthood means anything anymore… what a farce.

1. I am cynical too. Especially since it appears that Brian Souter has been given a Knighthood for polluting London with his dreadful stage coach buses, in what way does that warrant a Knighthood?

7. The fact his Knighthood was for services to transport is an absolute joke. Stagecoach are a ruthless, greedy company who put almost all the other bus operators out of business in my area when they moved into it in the 1990s and recently threatened to stop my local bus service altogether until the Scottish Government gave them a few hundred thousand quid to keep it running until the end of the year, when no doubt they’ll do exactly the same thing.

1. Then I recall the homophobic actions taken by South West Trains against some of their staff … Stagecoach may have created jobs and had some positive impacts on the community – but there have been major failures too and the homophobia of both Souter and his organisation do not warrant this honour

8. HelenWilson 13 Jun 2011, 12:26pm

Forgetting the section 28 stuff….If you have ever had the misfortune to travel on any of his trains or coaches you would see just how undeserved this award is.

9. Frankly, all this has done has made a mockery of a system that is already due derision. I won’t call anyone by their “title”, to hell with it. Although the words “whoops my hand slipped” go through my head every time I see the smug picture PN chose.

10. burningworm 13 Jun 2011, 12:33pm

It is funny the majority of comments on here are from the standpoint that the christian religion is false and read literally.

Here we have a knighthood. To sign against a person being given a hood is to legitamise that specific dictum.

The queen is a thug. Any person who makes that much money in 24 hours, doesn’t work and remains silent and expects a bow and a backward walk is a thug.

1. I’d hardly say that the Queen doesn’t work.. I think being head of state has rather a lot of responsibility..

1. burningworm 14 Jun 2011, 11:07am

Any role that you are born into requires no work.

1. Well thats a simplistic and incorrect argument

For example the Duchess of Northumberland works incredibly hard – running the Alnwick Garden and as amabassador and supporter of various charities and in supporting business in Northumberland

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Jun 2011, 3:36pm

So does the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
            They work tirelessly for this country.
            Even at 90 Prince Phillips has 20 engagements in 20 days.
            The Queen slightly more.
            I don’t see many 85 and 90 years old working as much for the good of the country.

2. I don’t count going to 20 dinner parties or showing up to wave at an event work to be honest.

3. Jock S. Trap 16 Jun 2011, 3:11pm

Well if that’s all you think they do then you clearly need to do you research Hamish.

2. burningworm 16 Jun 2011, 1:41pm

If i am born into a dynasty of heretical rule and i do my duty and you call it work and service, and i wear the crown and you bow in my presence because i was ordained by god. Then you swear allegiance to me even though all i do is curtail parliaments (canada/australia), allign myself with celebrities so that you like me even more. Give speeches and ensure that those in the gutter have a view of what it is like ‘when’ they reach the top.

And i take from the public purse and i am awarded with stature and screaming vigils and decenting voices are carted away and sent to the majesties prison.

All of that and so much more and still you want to be subjects and in the same breath are desirous of equality?

That is simplicity.

11. Looks like a self loathing Closet to me -

12. They always look like closet cottage queers

13. anyone think nick griffin will end up with one?

14. I bet anything a palace spokesperson would deny any knowledge of this, to get the monarch off the hook. Awarding people for bigotry is beyond despicable. I’ve no doubt, had he spewed anti-semitism, anti racial slurs, he wouldn’t have been on the list. The Daily Mail must be delighted to hear the “good” news.

15. “The 57-year-old businessman has not spoken out against gay rights in 11 years but almost 2,500 people have signed a petition calling for the honour to be rescinded.”

Pink News implies in the article that since the Section 28 business was so long ago, he may no longer be homophobic, which is absolute rubbish, especially if you check out my link to his website above. It’s not the first time this has been suggested.

16. There are two reasons I object to this “honour” being given to him.
    1) His objectionable campaign to keep the notorious section 28, preventing school teachers from tackling homophobia and bullying. He, like many other closed minded people tried to convince the general public that the removal of s28 would have “promoted” homosexuality in schools, rather than actually prevent homophobia. Seems in the 13 years since, that he was WRONG.

2) Stagecoach are (IMHO) an utterly ruthless company who care little for their staff or customers. I point blank refused to use their company during his insipid s28 campaign. Friends who have worked or who work for Stagecoach complain that they are treated abysmally, and that greed is the modus operandi for that organisation. A sad indictment for such a large organisation.

How horrific that he’s getting this “honour”.

17. Brian souter may be a millionaure and has enough money to buy a title but he is still ugly and from his anti-gay stance is obviously insecure in his own sexuality, he will never find happiness and I find some comfort in that.

1. Please excuse typos in previous comment!

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Jun 2011, 3:04pm

Totally agree Pavlos!!

1. Yeah what is behind the extreme homophobia? Maybe on his deathbed he will reveal all.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Jun 2011, 3:37pm

Prehaps his rent boy will bring out his own version of events.

18. Staircase2 13 Jun 2011, 2:56pm

Lesbian comedian Sue Perkins joked on Twitter: “Brian Souter is so homophobic I imagine he will refuse to bend over to accept his knighthood.”

I LOVE Sue Perkins lol

1. Yes, a great comment from Sue, the best!

1. Bravo Sue Perkins!

2. Bend over? I thought to receive a knighthood you had to kneel before a Queen!

19. It is wrong for the Pink News to say he hasn’t spoken out against gay rights for 11 years. His website is full of anti-gay hatred. Correction needed I think!

1. Indeed …. there has been little public media based campaigning but he has continued to be strident in his hate filled views – his personal website is evidence of this fact

20. Robert J Brown 13 Jun 2011, 3:06pm

I can’t believe that homophobe has been knighted . . . unbelieveable . . . .

I remember going to the Church of the Nazarene in Perth where I was abused by his brother, who was the minister of the church at the time . . . it disgusts me . . .

21. I’d love to see a video of Eric Page from “Big Gay Following” go up to Brian Souter and say, “Fancy a bum then?”

22. I wonder how many lgbt employees worked at Stagecoach over the years? Imagine being on the payroll of that cnut.

1. de Villiers 13 Jun 2011, 6:28pm

The SNP proposed this man for a knighthood and you blame the Conservatives!

1. de Villiers 13 Jun 2011, 6:29pm

I meant this post for below.

23. Being homophobic is the last thing that would stop this government from giving him an hounour.They’ve probably put it on the citation.

1. de Villiers 13 Jun 2011, 6:28pm

The SNP proposed this man for a knighthood and you blame the Conservatives !

1. Section 28, Homophobia, George Osborne, Chris Grayling, IDS, Theresa May are all conservative icons.

1. @Beberts

You may well be correct but that does not mean this is why Souter was nominated …

1. That is why Steve says what he says.

2. @Beberts

In which case it does not necessarily mean either you or Steve are correct …

3. No but Steve doesn’t say he’s deffinatly right he say’s probably. And I’ve got to agree

2. de Villiers 14 Jun 2011, 7:37am

Run Beberts, run.

3. Jock S. Trap 14 Jun 2011, 3:39pm

Since when have the SNP and the Conservatives been bossom buddies?
          Beberts do get over this obsession you have with anything but Labour dear.

2. @De Villiers

To be fair, do we know for sure it was the SNP?

1. However it was who nominated him, it is ultimately up to the Cabinet Office to assess the nominations and decide on the final list which is sent to the Queen, according to the Direct.gov website. The Cabinet Office is headed by Nick Clegg, by the way.

1. I meant Whoever not However!

2. I am sure there is political negotiation particularly in coalition on those on the list

3. The Scottish Government have said it’s a reserved matter and Scottish Government Ministers have no involvement in the process. But that’s not to say the SNP didn’t have something to do with the nomination outwith their capacity as the Scottish Government. I guess we’ll find out who it was who nominated him sooner or later. Incidently, Alistair Campbell has pointed out on Twitter that it was the SNP who reported Labour to the police over alleged honours for donations a few years ago.

4. Looks like you’ve got the tiger by the tail, BennieM… more, more, more,,,

5. To be honest, in one respect I don’t really care who nominated him … it was the government who approved his honour and the Queen who bestows it … it is interesting to know if certain (Scottish or other) politicians have nominated him …

Whoever nominated, approved and bestows an honour to such a hate filled homophobe are all tarnished by his homophobia by honouring such an ignorant and despicable man

24. He will still wake up ugly everyday.

1. Yes, Sir Brian Arseface

25. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 13 Jun 2011, 6:28pm

Just peeked at his website (I can’t believe I gave him a click). The man openly flaunts his backing of the Keep the Clause Campaign (after all this time?) as some sort of badge of honour, when in fact it kicked Scotland’s image back into the dark ages. Maybe at the Church of The Nazarene, he is a god but to every educated person he is a worthless wart. What an unacceptable and ugly decision and I only hope (forlorn) that they will withdraw his Knighthood. Shame, shame, shame.

26. i’ve always tried to be mature on here, but all I can say is that this man is an utter C*nt.

The amount of young LGBT that were taunted, bullied and in some instances took their own lives due to ignorance of of their peers, was basically what this man was supporting the continuation of.

Cretin.

27. He has been given this award because of his amazing journey from the bottom righto to the top. His personal views have nothing to do with that. And question, why does his personal views suddenly make this award undeserved. His opinion is just as valid as yours’ or mine.

I say congratulations, Sir Brian!

1. If he was a holocaust denier he would not be honoured.
      If he was a fascist he would not be honoured.
      If he was xenophobic he would not be honoured.
      If he was an extreme right wing racist he would not be honoured.
      If he held unpalatable views about disabled people he would not be honoured.

He is homophobic – he should not be honoured.

1. Well said, Stu!

2. To right!!!

2. Souter started at the bottom and he’s still an arse you mean.

1. good one… yuk,yuk…

28. Congrats to him.

1. James

If you support this man receiving an award then in my mind you are tainted by his homophobia and that makes you a hate consumed bigot potentially

29. What a douche, not only is he homophobic, but he accepted an honour from a parliament he believes should not rule him.

He also made his money from a country he does not wish to be aligned too.

So he’s a homophobic double douche!

1. He certainly is a homophobe – of that there is no doubt

The honour is not from parliament – it is in the name of the monarch. It is recommended by the ministers of state of the parliament he does not want to be linked to.

I also see no problem in a businessman from England making money in Scotland so the reverse must also be acceptable.

1. The honours system is regulated by parliament though, and the title he receives is one granted from the British state.a state he wishes to not be part of. By accepting it he is a hypocrite.

30. The controversial Church of Nazerene in Perth is currently under ‘renewed’ investigation by Tayside police. It was in The Scotsman:

scotsman.com/news/Tayside-Police-launch-abuse-handling.6634263.jp

31. ooer missus 14 Jun 2011, 11:15am

Do we really need an honours system? Especially one that is so political. Used to be a way for kings to buy loyalty from nobles. It hasn’t changed much.

And for people that do charitable works, they don’t do it for the glory, there must be a better way to recognise them.

1. Most nations have an honours system of some sort. All the following countries have them:
      UK, USA, New Zealand, France, Australia, Canada, South Africa, Belgium, Japan, Russia, Bulgaria, Nigeria, Philippines, Slovakia, Sri Lanka, Croatia etc etc

They are a method of recognising service of individuals both in the military, public service and for the benefit of the community in one way or another. Most countries recognise there are beneficial for a wide variety of reasons but all which acknowledge gratitude for the service given by individuals to society.