Father of ‘gay rumours’ suicide boy to speak at anti-bullying conference

1. Such a terribly sad story. RIP young man. Let’s hope some good, however small comes from this tragedy with schools taking a much harder line against bullying of any sort.

2. Oer missus 9 Jun 2011, 11:46am

Meanwhile some people from the UK are seeking the right to discriminate against us. Amazing that PN hasn’t picked up on a major story over at the Christian Legal Centre. 4 people that lost cases here to gay equality laws are trying to trump our rights and establish the right to discriminate at the European Courts. Is anyone representing our interests in those cases? The government has already opposed gay marriage in the European Court, so what steps could be taken to ensure our case is put forward properly?

3. Oer missus 9 Jun 2011, 11:55am

Seeking the right to bully and discriminate as ‘acting in accordance with their faith’ : see the story here:

1. Thank you for this. Be afraid, people. Be very afraid.

1. No be angry and attack

1. We need to start an equivalent of the black panthers James! I’d call it the pink panthers, but I hate the color pink.

1. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 3:41pm

I think ‘Pink Panthers’ is very apt….lol
            so which one of you is gonna leap out of the closet first though? lol lol lol
            (ps theres already the Pink Guardians I think arent there?)
            pps whats up with all this ‘attack’ bollocks – what do you do when you aint sitting at home thinking up these angry schemes? lol
            ppps you’d be dangerous if you were actually doing any active campaigning….

2. Staircase you are such a muppet.

3. Spanner1960 9 Jun 2011, 4:06pm

“Pink Panthers” has already been taken unfortunately.
            It’s a description given to straight guys that hang out in gay bars and try to pick up fag hags. “Yes, I’m gay, but do you think you could make me straight again? Why don’t you take me home and we can see…”

2. They say they need clarification on ‘confusing’ equality laws. Well, allow me to clarify:

Any organisation that is paid for by the public purse should be available to those that fund it (i.e. everyone). Do whatever you like in your churches, but to impose your views on other groups in the secular domain is philosophically and morally wrong. In fact, Jesus (who as I understand used to hang around with prostitutes, social outcasts, never mentioned homosexuality and railed against those who considered themselves holier than thou) would be spinning on his crucifix to hear these people are using his name in vain. I hope for all our sakes they’re laughed out of court.

3. We can be the Gafia I wouldn’t mind having my ring kissed

1. lol. Deep ring tonguing. Why should you be the godfather?

2. Jock S. Trap 9 Jun 2011, 2:45pm

Don’t you mean Codfather?

2. Interesting link. Christians fighting for the right to discriminate, all in the name of love of course.

3. Jock S. Trap 9 Jun 2011, 12:21pm

It is worrying.
      I thought we were supposed to have allies in ECHR?!!
      Those that supported everyone being treated equally.
      Now that we do have such a loud voice it is up to up to use it.

1. I would hope for a loss for “christians” in the ECHR – unless they can prove that bigotry and hateful behaviour is key to their faith. They don’t seem to understand the rulings against them. Wearing a cross is not a fundamental law of christianity, many do not. Being a bigot is not a fundamental law of christianity, many are not (as much as it pains me to say so, but I realise that the loudest squeakiest christian wheels are the minority).

Their attempt to claim what “christianity” is, what it means, what is expected of its worshippers should be offending other christians as much as it offends us GLBTQ people. If I was christian (I’m not) then I would be furious that someone was using my faith to enshrine their hateful behaviour and I would say that any “christians” who sit passively by are in danger of being labelled as hateful and disgusting as those who seek to discriminate. Part of the solution or part of the problem. Sitting on the sidelines and shrugging is no good.

4. If these cnuts do get what they want, we need to lobby for the right to refuse them service!

All of us, no matter what are party political views, should respond en masse and demand the right to discriminate against those who would discriminate against us!

1. The problem is that they are a fringe minority. To discriminate against all Christians would be incredibly unfair, and would lose us a lot of allies. Besides, how would you know who to discriminate against?

1. I meant discriminate against the fringe members. Of course I did not mean against all christians.

Same way they do to us, if were suspect they are a right wing evangelical, we ask them, if they say yes we refuse to serve them.
          We could then pressure shops to place a no homophobes sign outside the shop front.

2. The article linked to is in a christian publication and as you would expect is not really the true position. The Telegraphs article is slightly more balanced.

When something is sent to the European Court they have to respond and what they have done is ask the UK government whether they intend to defend these cases. The European court has said they are significant (which they are) but has made no comment on validity or confusion (that is xian spin) as no such determination could be made until after the case has been adjudicated on.

Given that EHCR is probably more on the side of blind equality I don’t think there are many legs on this one but we do well to watch just in case.

1. Oer missus 10 Jun 2011, 1:06am

It’s our govt and if and who they appoint to argue the case I’m concerned about, after their performance on the gay marriage issue. The barrister they’ve been using seems to be more pro religion than pro gay, but I could be mistaken.

4. Jock S. Trap 9 Jun 2011, 12:19pm

To highlight this problem is important.
    It so sad that some of it comes on the back of such tragic events.
    Roger Crouch is surely an inspiration to stand up and help do this a sadly necessary event.

5. Pink News: “The conference, to be held at the British Library, will announce the winner of the first Stonewall Education Equality Index, which commends good policy on sexual orientation issues in schools”

I hope Stoke Newington School win the award for all the excellent work they’ve been doing recently. Apparently homophobic bullying has been almost completely eliminated at the school.

See my blog entries on 22nd May and 31st May 2011

1. Yeah that school is amazing. Shame the tories and the free schools idea are attacking it for what it is doing. (search toby young free school homophobia if you dont believe me).

Such a shame that such an excellent school is being attacked to push through stupid tory policies on free schools.

1. Thanks Scott, I didn’t know about Toby Young’s views on combatting homophobia. Seems he doesn’t believe in equality and diversity. As I recall, before the election he claimed his free schools would not disadvantage any kids.

If Stonewall’s award ceremony is fair, I think Stoke Newington should have a very good chance of winning because, as far as I know, no other school has done more to fight homophobic bullying.

2. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 4:01pm

Its good to see hard evidence that good school management is actually the key to solving the problem of homophobic bullying. The knee-jerk media/man in the pub (although they don’t really exist any more! lol) consensus is that homophobia is a natural and understandable condition and that any attempt to use education to eradicate it is doomed to failure.
      This school’s shining example shows this to not be true. In essence the problem of homophobia doesn’t originate from children but from the adults around them. And the way to eliminate this is thru the adults taking responsibility for this and leading the way towards positive change. Full marks Stoke Newington School! :o)

3. Where does Stonewall think it gets the right to create a “Stonewall Education Equality Index”, and hand out awards to the winners, when
      the crummy group totally ignores transphobia, including transphobic bullying, which is probably the most lethal of all bullying in schools.

The Stonewall riots included trans people, and people of colour. If Stonewall wants to ignore all the other inequalities in education then the least they could do it make it clear in their titles that their indexes (for employers too) are simply about sexual orientation.

6. I appreciate what Mr Crouch is doing, the wounds within him must be very raw and he is very brave to stand up and say that enough is enough.

But let’s be frank here. We need to stop calling it bullying and giving those who do it a pass. Whether someone is bullied for being gay or perceived to be gay, or having red hair or wearing the wrong trainers or whatever the feral pack of bullies come up with it is the bullies who should be punished. When someone is harassed or assaulted, for any reason, the perpetrator should be removed. I am all for kicking them out of school and letting them wreck their own lives (and inconveniencing the parents who raised them) rather than harming the innocent. The “softly softly” sit down and talk about it approach does not work, looking the other way does not work. It is time for zero tolerance and punishment of those who would seek to cause harm.

1. Dan Filson 9 Jun 2011, 12:50pm

I think it is sweeping to say the “softly, softly” approach does not work. Bullies are people too. Schools need to get to the root of bullying and find out what drives the bullies. We are no more born homophobes than homophiles.

No doubt a public school can expel and wash its hands of the problem, but expulsion from a state school simply results in the same kid turning up in another. Pack behaviour should also be tackled. I think what enfuriates parents is when they find that the school has swept the issue under the carpet altogether, not so that work can be done to explore and investigate but simply to maintain the reputation of the institution.

All power to Roger Crouch in his work (and his family) not to let this death be just one more in a long line. And we should include those bullied on the grounds of being perceived as gay, even if they are not, in our concerns. All children deserve respect for who they are.

1. I’m sorry. But I cannot agree. If a bully is too young to realise that abuse/harassment/violence/cruelty is wrong then they should be kept at home until their parent instructs them correctly (and I don’t care if that is forever). Unless someone is a total sociopath, then we should all be able to understand that bullying is wrong/anti-social/unacceptable at a reasonable age. Those who decide to do it anyway should face the consequences. I would sooner the bully wrecks their life then see the people they victimise suffer. Keep in mind that what we call “bullying” would often be assault or ABH if perpetrated between adults – giving children a pass is the wrong message for the future.

1. Jock S. Trap 9 Jun 2011, 2:42pm

Dan Filson
          I agree entitly.
          It’s all too easy to just expel a student but like you say you just move the problem on.
          We cannot just keep children at home and uneducated as Valksy suggests as I think that would actually fuel the problem.
          How can you teach acceptance from a homophobic enviroment?
          All children need an education.
          Finding out the key problems is best but I’m sure in most (but not all) the problem stems from homelife and what the children hear from family.
          I believe this is where Stonewall need to be much more active though.
          As I understand it more schools are following the example of the excellent school in Stoke Newington but Stonewall should be pushing for this to be rolled out to ALL schools especially ALL secondary schools as a compulsory subject.

2. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 3:46pm

Youre assuming that they dont get these notions from their parents in the first place (and they invariably do!)
          Leaving them at home is the WORST place to leave them!
          Its about a school having in place a clear, effective anti-bullying system – which would also include counselling of perpetrators to ensure they understand that this behaviour is unacceptable and reparations made to the victims.

2. Jock S. Trap 9 Jun 2011, 2:43pm

It’s not aceptable to have such a tiered system which in the end carries on justifying homophobia within some of our schools.
        It is clear this government has been listening to it’s fans and critics alike on other topics, (something new), Now is the time for them to start listening to these problems and addressing them
        Time for a fair, open, accepting way of teaching.
        Surely this has to only improve standard and future.

2. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 4:08pm

‘softl softly?
      who said anything about ‘softly softly’?
      Having a clear school-wide policy for dealing with bullying is about having firm, set boundaries and understandings in place. It is about having sanctions in place to protect victims and education in place to ensure that the perpetrators understand why their actions are unacceptable.
      AND THEY WORK.
      Knee-jerk on the other hand never works – simply because it is reactive (and therefore constantly on the back foot). The only solution to dealing with bullying lies in setting up a clear, school-wide policy AHEAD of time – ie PRO ACTIVE which is then stuck to and supported by ALL members of staff and students.
      Aside from anything else you’re forgetting that children are at school to LEARN – socially acceptable behaviour as much as anything else.
      Hopefully we can now move towards a society where someone like Dominic is never bullied for any reason, simply because the students all KNOW BETTER.

7. ‘Gay rumors suicide boy’

Seriously, a bit of tact and respect for the deceased. I know you want to keep the title short and to the point but jeeeez.

1. This is not a gay friendly site. It is a money generating site nothing else

1. This site was largely responsible for persuading Stonewall to support marriage equality. And PN has campaigned on other gay issues such as media bias.

1. Nevertheless a more tactful headline would be appropriate for this news item.

1. GayWebHosting 9 Jun 2011, 3:58pm

Tact? Why should we be tactful about such a serious issue?

There were gay rumors about this boy and he committed suicide as a result. Where is the room for ‘tact’?

To hell with tact. I applaud this tragic boys father for helping with this campaign.

Perhaps the bullies should have used a little more tact instead of driving this lad to take his own life?

This tragic story should be told.. It should be told everywhere, to everyone.

Make the mindless bullies pay!

2. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 3:55pm

What a load of bollocks James(!)
        Its a GAY site for focks sake!
        I thought the headline was understandable (and because it explains the story (and the very reason for Dominic’s parents to be involved in the Stonewall Education Conference in the first place)
        And actually the heading is: “Father of ‘gay rumours’ suicide boy to speak at anti-bullying conference”
        Its right that the words ‘gay rumours’ appear in speech marks to indicate that this is a) conjecture from the inquest and b) that Dominic wasnt apparently gay but was (apparently) the victim of homophobic rumours.
        The headline goes to underline the idea that homophobic bullying in schools affects ALL children equally, gay and straight alike.

1. Sod off twat I’m entitled to my opinion

1. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 4:09pm

yes you are – and you’re also entitled to people responding to the idiocy of it….
            ;o)

2. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 4:11pm

But what I don’t get is why you spend such an enormous amount of time here if you don’t like it at all….
            (it’s those things that make you go ‘hmmmm’)
            (‘hoist’ and ‘pertard’ are two words that spring to mind….lol_

8. Staircase2 9 Jun 2011, 3:48pm

Full marks for Dominic’s dad Roger Crouch in standing up the plate and using his grief for positive change.
    Also commendable is Gok Wan’s involvement – I love that man :o)
    The fight for equality is always marked by the shining of light onto the darkness of ignorance and fear.

9. Does PInkNews actually sponsor any LGBTQI charities or community activities with its profits? That would be a way of persuading people.that it genuinely does good things in the public domain.

10. People wake up…there must be more than bullying…the poor guy was just only 15…you should look under the tree not around and far away…that guy was having problems not only at school :-( I am very sad that this type of suicide are still happening

11. roger crouch 23 Jun 2011, 10:17am

1. I take no offence at the headline, please dont get upset on my behalf.
    2. Whilst the Equality Act 2010 has 10 protected categories and these include faith/belief it does not give anyone the right to discriminate because they argue that their faith requires them too – some rights trump others.
    3. Dom’s story is in fact all about bullying – period. My speech will be on Friends of Dom Crouch against Bullying on Facebook on 1 july.

12. I saw the Crouches comments in the Gloucestershire Echo and gave them the (URL) link to comments in Pink News.

The Crouches are religious and I may of contributed to the amount of stress he was under.

Fighting for LGBT rights sometimes has unexpected consequences!

Sorry!