Confusion over ‘kidnapped’ lesbian Syrian blogger

1. Dan Filson 9 Jun 2011, 4:23pm

30 minutes and no comments – that must be a record. Are PinkNews commenters so bewildered they are struck dumb? So is there a real blogger, albeit using a false identity? Is it an entrapment blog to identify those in Syria hostile to the regime?

2. I’m totally lost on this one…. where does her Montreal girlfriend fit into all of this?

3. Sophie Younger 9 Jun 2011, 6:11pm

No not struck dumb! There has been MUCH discussion about the whole subject of Amina, of her incredibly well written Blog – A Gay Girl in Damascus – and of her alleged disappearance. Here are 2 links which may help, but please note that thousands of comments were erased from the FB link, which is https://www.facebook.com/FreeAminaArraf. An additional interesting link is this one http://bookmaniac.org/painful-doubts-about-amina/.

4. Sophie Younger 9 Jun 2011, 6:16pm

My own feelings on all of this are that identity is certainly important but that FREEDOM is the most important issue of all.

So for me, in the end, it is really fairly irrelevant whether the photos of Amina are real or whether indeed the detail of her name is real, whether her Blog is true or whether she even exists altogether, not that I’m assuming or not assuming any of the above. What does matter is that what has or has not happened to Amina is something that absolutely would happen, and indeed IS happening everyday in Syria. In other words, Amina’s story symbolizes the abuse of human rights in Syria today. Would it therefore be wise not to be so side-tracked with the he-said she-said clutter, and instead to focus on what REALLY matters, which is to bring to the attention of the world the oppression and human rights abuse which the Syrian people, 10,000 of whom are currently ‘detained’ all over the country, are experiencing as I write this?

5. Mariana Johansson 10 Jun 2011, 5:05pm

Sophie Younger, I salute you.

1. It IS a hoax and it has done nothing but but real people in danger

6. James Hadden 25 Mar 2012, 2:28pm

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and really like learning more on this matter. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is extremely helpful for me.
    Health & Nutrition