Trans prisoner files lawsuit after botched self-castration attempt

1. HelenWilson 7 Jun 2011, 4:47pm

I guess this is the perfect story for the trolls to go off on one on.

I guess the real question in this is does she really need to of been locked up for 33 years? The American justice system locks more people up than any other country and for longer.

Would it not be better to give Ophelia De’lonta a chance of rehabilitation so she can pay for her own operation on the outside.

1. HelenWilson 7 Jun 2011, 5:18pm

Given law abiding American transgender citizens only have the option of paying for the operation themselves, or via insurance providers. Its only fair on them that Ophelia De’lonta pays for it herself once she is released. However if she is serving a whole life sentence with no possibility of parole,only then should the state pick up the bill for the op.

A prisoner should not have access to treatment that’s out of the reach of the law abiding poor transgendered Americans that are too poor to afford it.

2. She is 50 and has been locked up for 33 years which means the crime was committed when she was 17 or less (depending on length of time to catch and try her). Must have been a hell of a crime or there is more we have not been told.

I never know what to think about these cases, I am always a bit cynical about there being other motives for the behaviour rather than the obvious. (BTW I mean when it is prisoners who seem to be on ultra long sentences)

1. HelenWilson 7 Jun 2011, 6:34pm

I think the American state (especially the south) feared black people with guns at this time because they feared the possibility of armed insurrection among African Americans. Some of the sentences black people got compared to their white counterparts was hugely increased.

1. I am happy she was locked up for so long and would like the UK system to be tougher on criminals
          She won an order which was a start but she lost her control and flipped, self-mutilation like this isn’t a good idea at any time

1. But if your transgender it might have been a last resort. We need more information and locking people up for longer has been shown not to help rehabilitate criminals it merely keeps them off the streets which costs alot and is ineffective

2. it does sound like a last resort and I want criminals to be locked up for longer if they don’t show any willingness to change, it’s very stupid to release criminals who will keep on being criminals

3. Stuart Neyton 8 Jun 2011, 11:42am

Prison and tough sentences don’t work. They harden criminals who have the chance to be rehabilitated and alienate them from society at large.

Tell me why we have so much crime when we’ve got the biggest prison population in Europe?

In the states, sentencing tends to be racist. Blacks are locked up for longer than whites

4. HelenWilson 8 Jun 2011, 12:15pm

She was 17 when she was locked up! Should she not have the chance to turn her life around?

2. Staircase2 8 Jun 2011, 6:09pm

Being locked up for a length of time doesnt in itself tell us anything about the crime itself…

2. Alexander Hauser 7 Jun 2011, 6:19pm

This is just another example of what happens when GID is not regarded as a proper condition worthy of medical care. Either transsexuals commit suicide or they attempt to self-medicate, ending up with disasterous results.

3. Poor woman. I’m glad I live in a civilised, European country.

4. Self mutilation doesn’t help although I totally understand the motivation. She will need ‘the bits” for the surgeon to rearrange them for her pussy.

5. Stuart Neyton 8 Jun 2011, 11:44am

Not a point on the story itself but is it really necessary to publish her birth name?

1. Agreed. PinkNews really should be better than that. It’s an inhumane kind of disregard for human decency which prompts hack journalists to post information like that.

Shame on the author for including it, and shame on the editor for not taking it out.

6. HelenWilson 8 Jun 2011, 12:13pm

Wow this is the disturbing report of a trans woman in France kept in a male prison who also tried to castrate herself.

Chloë wrote that she was raped four times in jail, detention centre of Caen.

7. David Skinner 8 Jun 2011, 3:37pm

This guy should have gone the whole hog and had a lobotomy.

1. HelenWilson 8 Jun 2011, 5:14pm

Why would she want to join you in having a lobotomy Skinner?

2. That you choose to make inane comments on subjects you do not understand is unfortunate, Skinner. That you do so entirely without compassion is a little tragedy.

8. Staircase2 8 Jun 2011, 6:15pm

Bless her.
    This did worry me deeply though: “It’s like if this doesn’t exist” (her penis), “then I won’t have any more problems.”
    It strikes me as if she has a whole heap of other problems she needs to sort out – which may or may not have been activated or aggravated by her gender identity (or more likely from the treatment she has had to endure because of it).
    Anyone willing to chop off bits of themselves in order to make themselves ‘happy’ really aren’t very well to start with (and I don’t believe this is strictly linked solely with their gender identity issues)

1. I for one empathize and understand this woman. I am not imprisoned and am trying to save up money for surgery, but it is hard going. If I was in a situation like her and it seemed there was no chance of me getting surgery I would probably try something like that too. For someone with this kind of gender dysphoria being a eunuch might be better than living with a penis.