BFI has footage of first known male-to-male television kiss – featuring Sean Connery

1. Connery is a homophobe, anti English and a wife beater! Odd that he’d kiss another male even if its only acting. I suppose people do anything for money including hypocrites like him.

1. concerned resident E3 6 Jun 2011, 5:20pm

being a supporter of the SNP does not make him “anti-English” and I know of no allegation relating to him being homophobic.

1. Hear hear, and actually he seems to be pretty anti-Scottish these days too. He criticised Edinburgh the last time her has here, the miserable get… He just trades on his Scottishness for his own ends. Self-serving hypocrite.

But… he kissed a man! Can’t knock that :p

1. Last time he was* here, sorry.

1. I know of no allegations that he’s homophobic but in an interview for BBC’s Scene by Scene with Mark Cousins he mentions that he regrets not taking more gay roles in refernce to the homoeroticism in The Hill and the gay role he wanted in California Suite which went to Michael Cain…

2. Staircase2 7 Jun 2011, 1:35pm

I dont know of anything suggesting hes a homophobe
      To be honest being anti-English is to be expected when youre from a country which has been repressed & controlled by the English for many hundreds of years.
      Whats more telling is that you think this is a ‘bad’ thing! lol

2. Ooer missus 6 Jun 2011, 6:10pm

1960 might also have been the year that heart throb Dirk Bogard kissed a man on the big screen in Victim, the film that helped decriminalise gay sex in 1967. Or did he not kiss in that film?

1. I don’t know if he kissed anyone, but it’s a brilliant and important gay film.

2. Certainly no kiss; and it was 1961. But apparently the first British film to use the word homosexual.

3. Jock S. Trap 7 Jun 2011, 10:29am

I saw that film ‘Victim’, for the first time about 2 years ago.
      I can imagine it would have been quite shocking at the time and was surprised at the names in the film considering the times.
      I don’t remember if he kissed anyone but it was a good film that reflected the times and the need for the law to be changed.

3. Connery has been impersonating Scrooge McDuck throughout his whole career, Bond was a gift that set him up for life but his best acting moment was when he is asked to drop his trousers for the medic in “The Hill”( IMHO)

4. Keith SALFORD 6 Jun 2011, 7:17pm

I’m goin into films..
    Keith.
    SALFORD

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Jun 2011, 10:29am

Good luck!
      ;)

5. Dodgy wig – says it all!

6. Meh. Come back to me when you have footage of Bruce Willis (Die Hard era) getting f-ked 6 ways from Sunday by Mel Gibson (Mad Max 1 and Mad Max 2 era) whilst Rutger Hauer (any era) looks on while whacking one out.

1. If we could we drop Mel Gibson from that vintage cast I’m with you, and if they could be from any era perhaps replace homophobic Mel with Aussie hottie Rod Taylor circa Hitchcock’s The Birds, The Time Machine, The VIP’s please.

2. Jock S. Trap 7 Jun 2011, 10:31am

Oh please.
      Glad I had my breakfast, though it’s starting to repeat on me now.

1. Clutching your beads in horror are you? such a delicate constitution (lol)

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Jun 2011, 3:32pm

I am indeed but then prefering to think about the likes of Jason Statham, Vin Diesel…. much better!!

1. Vin Deisel, now you’re talking! Jason Statham too and both as they are now. CMYB was naming his vintage hotties.
            (You really don’t want to see Vin Deisel with his hair though.)

2. Jock S. Trap 8 Jun 2011, 10:31am

“vintage hotties”
            I like that… made me giggle!!
            No Vin Diesel deffo without the hair.

7. TheLizzie12 7 Jun 2011, 10:11am

The first male-to-male kiss on British TV THAT WE ARE AWARE OF. Because most of British TV output from 1936 to the 1960s was transmitted live and unrecorded. So we cannot be 100% certain of any ‘firsts’ in our TV history. Only a small selection of programmes were saved: tele-recorded (filmed from a TV screen) in that period, before the existence of videotape. Admittedly this new ‘discovery’ is fascinating. Sean Connery, eh? Who would have believed it?

8. TheLizzie12 7 Jun 2011, 10:14am

For the record, my study of gay representation in British TV drama 1936-79, for which I was awarded a MPhil (Master of Philosophy) degree in 2006 (based on ten years of programming lesbian and gay TV retrospectives for the National Film Theatre), remains collecting dust. No publisher will touch it. I have named it ‘Not in Front of the Viewers – How Lesbians and Gays Were Portrayed on British Televison: 1930s to 1970s’. Any takers? Suggestions?

1. Dan Filson 7 Jun 2011, 12:37pm

Stonewall has published a report, entitled (I think) Unseen on Screen, on the subject of the low level of portrayal (let alone realistic portrayal) of LGB people on screen (lesbians being even rarer than gay men).

1. Dan Filson 7 Jun 2011, 12:38pm

Though your thesis covers an earlier period and should be worth publishing more widely surely

Step forward, publishers.

9. Jock S. Trap 7 Jun 2011, 10:25am

Oo-er missus how shocking… for 1960 anyway.
    So the first man on man kiss was between brothers… Guess that would ‘mean’ something else these days.

1. I’ve never kissed either of my 2 brothers full on the lips and wouldn’t care to…unless maybe one of them were on their deathbed or some other similarly devastating situation.

1. Staircase2 7 Jun 2011, 1:32pm

How would the deathbed change things then? lol
        What an odd thing to say?
        Personally I save lips kissing for sexual/romantic/emotional people in my life but there are plenty of other people who do differently – this is something that every single person has to decide for themselves! After all: its THEIR lips not ours!

1. What’s odd about what I wrote? You don’t think saying goodbye to someone you love on their deathbed is not a special situation?
          A couple times when a platonic male friend has been so distraught and inconsolable I have not known what to do but hold them tight and kiss them, I can imagine I might do same with my brothers if either one of them were in a similar state, but it hasn’t happened to date.
          Kissing on the lips involves two persons.

2. Jock S. Trap 7 Jun 2011, 3:35pm

Trouble is my point is that have two brothers kissing like that in 1960 and people see it for what it is.
        Do it in 2011 and people begin to read everything into it that isn’t there.
        No longer would it just be attempting to understand what his brother has that he lacks, it would be a whole lot more besides.

10. concerned resident E3….at the 8th annual “Dressed To Kilt” Charity Fashion Show at M2 Ultra Lounge in New York on April 5, he saw two men kissing, b

From the New York Post, the equivalent to our Daily Mail, “Sir Sean Connery looked shaken and stirred when two men in kilts began kissing on the catwalk at his Dressed to Kilt event at club M2 Monday night. Witnesses said the original 007 “turned to his wife as if to say, ‘Oh, my God.’ ”

The real question here is why Connery would even care if two men were turned on by each other? The only thing he’s ever gotten up for a woman is the back of his hand:

“I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman … If a woman is a bitch, or hysterical, or bloody-minded continually, then I’d do it.”

Nice one, Connery! What a pig!

11. Gay incest? Sweet :)

12. I seem to remember a television showing of Arthur Miller’s “A View from the Bridge” not many years after this. Certainly there was a 1962 film version of the play, in which father Eddie, jealous of his daughter’s boyfriend, kisses him on the lips in an attempt to discredit him.
    ‘Discredit’! Well, it was a long time before television was prepared to admit that men might be turned on by each other.