Homophobic group flies aeroplane banner warning families about Disney’s Gay Day

1. Dan Filson 5 Jun 2011, 7:12pm

I understand Disney also has characters going around with enormous big black ears and a mouse tail who try to shake hands with children. Sickening!

2. LOL, oops just as well they didn’t do the fly over tomorrow they’d have missed it! What a set of morons. If they wanted to warn families shouldn’t they have held the fly over on the 4th? Just a thought.

3. Of course, if they REALLY gave a damn about families they would not have wasted their money on hiring a plane, they would have donated funds to those families who are homeless or struggling or who need some actual genuine tangible help. Bloody hypocrites are doing nothing but making a pavlovian appeal to the ignorant and hateful, no doubt to encourage them to “donate” to battle us evil homos.

Pack of despicable and intellectually dishonest tossers.

1. amen.

2. “We didn’t come all this way to see a pink fairy castle, hear showtunes and watch a big float parade to have it ruined by dem ho-mo-sex-zools.”
      Sorry to bust their bubble but I’m guessing we were there at the planning stages!

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:08am

Exactly Valksy.
      I think it says alot about the Florida Familly Ass. that they feel happy on wasting such money on this kind of discrimination when I could have gone on helping others like the homeless etc.

4. I thought Walt Disney World was a no-fly zone? How did they manage to do this without violating that?

1. The FAA can issue a LODA (letter of deviation authority) to allow the flight, persuant to coordination with the controlling ATC facility. The Disney TFR at SOCAL was a 3 mile radius, surface to 3,000 ft. AGL. Left SOCAL in 2005, and now fly in the “free flight” countryside of the Pacific Northwest; so I don’t know if those TFR’s are still in effect.

1. Are the FFA aware that it’s called a Deviation Authority?

2. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 8:23pm

Could we petition them to refuse authority to allow flights like this that spread homophobic messages? I’m disgusted that they got permission.

5. Whenis it gonna be GAY DAY at the Holy Land Experience in Orlando Florida ?

1. Staircase2 5 Jun 2011, 10:48pm

It would be better to do ‘Gay Day’ Hyde Park,
      Gay Day Jerusalem
      Gay Day Mecca
      Gay Day Uganda
      Gay Day Lagos
      Gay Day Egypt
      Gay Day Jamaica
      Gay Day Moscow
      etc etc etc
      Just turning up in large numbers to have a picnic lol

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 5 Jun 2011, 11:42pm

Not sure about that one. Would work in Hyde Park. Could work in Jerusalem. We would be in mortal danger in the other places.

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:10am

I’m sure Rich (unoriginal) could sort the Gay Day Mecca out…

6. Well regardless of anything anyone has said, I’m Gay and the father of two children whom both live with myself and my partner. I didn’t notice the association was called The Florida Hetrosexual Families Associstion. I guess they missed that bit. Don’t they realise that every gay was born from a man and woman?

1. Staircase2 5 Jun 2011, 10:46pm

…No they dont – thats because theyre all very very very stupid….lol
      Bless em :o)

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:14am

Exactly, they always want to ignore that bit about every LGBTQI is born from a man and a woman.
      They want any excuse to show their hatred.
      Nothing more.
      I’m pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Gay people interrupting a Family Ass Day there would be mayhem.
      Trouble is the LGBTQI community tend to have better things to do, such as having a life.

7. martyn notman 5 Jun 2011, 7:29pm

they were actually trying to get a better look at the hot men probably…typical closet cases…

8. I didn’t know about gay day at disney, so it’s good advertising. I might go next year.

9. I actually prefer going to Disney during the Gay Day events, because its so much fun! I, myself, am not gay but I completely support those who are. It’s a lot less bitchiness when we go then because all the homophobes aren’t there to complain.

1. Yep! Look at things on the bright side is best. Don’t let a banner ruin a good party. For every hateful face revealed or exposed, that’s one less face I have to worry about. I love the banner. It’s a recognition sign for gay people. Any press is better than no press at all.

10. auntie babs 5 Jun 2011, 8:02pm

wouldn’t it be good if, after all this, that attendence at the next gay day skyrocketed and produced record profits for the Disney corporation?

1. Rand Stok 6 Jun 2011, 3:44am

Yea really! But it’s not like it doesn’t skyrocket already, in comparison to NORMAL families, who are so cheap to spend there, but would donate all they have to produce this pathetic banner, and even more to hire a pilot to fly around for over 20 hours total to broadcast their point! Even at that, if I do recall, even the staff at Disney admited having a better time on Gay Days anyway.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:16am

Yeah and how many homeless people could that money have helped?
        This is all because they don’t accept anyone who is religious can do a good thing, it’s just them.
        Yet how much have they just waste on hate?

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:15am

It certainly would!!

11. Richard S 5 Jun 2011, 8:31pm

I think there’s a positive side to this. The people who arranged it had to put out some $$$s (and I hope it was a lot)–which, as Valksy pointed out, could have been far better spent to help people–as it is, their loss; and the only people who didn’t go because they saw it are bigots no one would want there anyway. It also gets media attention, which has its good and bad sides. It’s really not worth getting too steamed up over. There are much more important things.

12. Staircase2 5 Jun 2011, 10:42pm

“The offensive behaviour that the group referred to included pro-gay t-shirrs, same sex couples hugging, holding hands, “groping each other” and some punters “dressed in drag.” ”

Isnt that what Disney is all about anyway!? lol

13. Staircase2 5 Jun 2011, 10:45pm

Years ago I went to a similar event at a huge theme park somewhere in the US (forgotten where) not sure if they still doing it – it was called a Red day I think – everyone who was gay was wearing something red. Its was a great day out :o) only spoiled by one homophobe along the way – but it didnt go anywhere given that he was squaring up to a huge group of gay men and backed down :o)

Hoorah! Everyone should go do one of these instead of Gay Pride Brighton!

14. Very much an own goal no doubt, and with the publicity just boosting the attendance !

All a complete waste of time because there’s nothing remotely offensive on Gay Day at Disney World: everyone has a great time, whether gay or straight, young or old.

If you’ve never been, bookmark the first Saturday in June 2012 – and don’t forget the red T-shirt !

15. burningworm 6 Jun 2011, 2:49am

Disney is a epitome of gay. It is always gay day at Disney.

I wish Disney once thawed showed us the filth that goes on behind the scenes, what it actually takes to keep everything so plastic and gleaming on the surface.

Dis-ney.

16. Given there are two Disney resorts in the US “Word” in Florida, and “Land” in Anaheim California. does gay day take place the same day at both resorts? if both the same day? regardless they helped the gay day cause for the people who didn’t know and would have missed out on going to gay days had they not seen the banner.

17. It’s all a bit M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E,
    if the fascist’s from FFA had any of our European sense of irony they would see how camp this looks, it’s almost wonderful as ironic advertising although the intention is little removed from Westboro Baptist’s God Hate’s Fags lunatics.

18. Did Hewey Louie and Dewey have a Mom and Dad?
    Why did they live with their single Uncle Donald?

19. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:06am

Well done Disney.
    Shame on The Family Family Ass..
    Then what do you expect.
    Oh the irony of their actions but then of course we all know they far prefer wars, killings, torturing, maiming.
    How dare we have any happiness.
    How dare we should any love.
    Truth is I think the Florida Family Ass.s are jealous because unlike them we can enjoy ourselves and help all around feel good too coz ya know you can Only ever do good if you belong to the church.
    This they find a threat.
    Well, here’s hoping that they had a bumper day and many Families went to defy these bunch of Family Ass.s and Really had a good, profitable day.

20. As much as i hate the the Florida Family ass. did. I have a different point, why are Disney even doing “GAY DAYS”.
    To me that’s like saying “Blacks day” or “Jew day” its still discriminative, we don’t NEED a day to go to Disney world, or to celebrate our love. If you read the article you will see that they profit heavily from these “gay days” and i for one have a problem with that.

1. It depends if you construe it as a day especially designed to court the pink pound and attract gay couples, or as a form of “back of the bus” ghettoisation. You could argue that it could be construed as either, but so long as there’s nothing to stop us from going any day we please, does it really do any harm?

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 2:48pm

James C
      They have Gay Days because we spend the money.
      As stated ‘Gay Days’ bring in approx $150m to Disney.
      A case of when in need call in the ‘Gays’.
      Well if it makes then supportive enough to do it and supportive enough to ignore those bigots and appreicate us for it, so be it.
      I’d spend.

It goes to show how powerful our money is!!

3. David Myers 7 Jun 2011, 5:18am

Oh James – you’re such a tool. Who cares that you have a problem with that? When Disney banned gay appearing people did you have a problem with that? We had to fight to get Disney to quite kowtowing to the religious right. Now that they have and they and their staff know we are “good customers” and treat us as such . . . now you have a problem. Grow up!

21. johnny33308 6 Jun 2011, 1:12pm

We should hire planes to fly banners over their hate-filled churches every Sunday, Somehow I bet they would not like that. The banners could say something like, “Church of Bigotry”, “God hate bigots” and other such truthful things. Some of us are talking about picketing such churches on Sundays, wish signs that say SHAME, sliently. It is time the people were named and shamed.

22. Reed Braden 6 Jun 2011, 1:23pm

Every time I see a headline about a religious group flying a plane I get worried.

The religious need to work on their image when it comes to aviation and aeronautics.

Anyhoo, thanks for the advertising, FFA! I never would have known it was Gay Day without this, and I’m sure most of the people who have seen this ad thought the same: “Warning? What? Oh! Gay Day! Sounds fun!!! Bruce, get the kids, we’re going to Gay Day! Thanks, FFA!”

23. johnny33308 6 Jun 2011, 1:25pm

Disney does not do Gay Days. A group of gays started Gay Days as a way to show how much we contribute to the local economy AND to show how many of us were here. Disney fought against it for years because they felt it did not fit with their happy little place for EVERYONE and were not pleased the bigots were crazed by it. They finally came around more then 10 yrs later, I think, and embraced it. And gay people wear red T shirts during gay days to ‘show’ ourselves. We did this for US, not Disney. And the banners are flown every year. Mostly we all just point and laugh. The bigots would not dare show up in person these days, not that we would harm them, we’d just point and laugh at the pitiful stupid fools.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 2:51pm

So why do people question a sound ecomonic venture but not a Religion wasting its money that should be helping those in society but instead goes to publising hatred?

2. Look, if I was a closeted gay teenager or adult, I would be very thankful to see a huge banner telling me there’s a Gay Day at Disney. I would do whatever I can to get myself there and to not miss out on being around like people. Thanks for the free advertisement!

24. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 2:56pm

Any change that plane with the banner may have actually given free advertising to the event too?!

1. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 4:14pm

I thought the banner looked like an awesome advert. What do kids love more than Disney and rainbows? They brobably didn’t see beyond the Mickey Mouse head before they tried to drag their parents along.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 4:24pm

Correction, did mean chance not change…

Indeed Galadriel, not just those but also those many supportive of Gay and Human Rights and know this event would be fun for All.

1. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 8:22pm

This is very true.
          I’m just loving the image of parents who would have heeded the banner having to deal with a screaming tantrum because they won’t take their child to see Rainbow Mickey.

“We can’t go to Disney today, the homosexuals are there.”
          “I wanna be a homosexual!”
          *Dead faint*

25. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 4:15pm

We in the UK should have a gay day at Lego Land or somewhere…

1. lego land? LOL. They do them at alton towers I think.

1. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 8:20pm

I want an excuse to go back to Lego Land *pouts*.

26. Ya know, it’s funny, because I was at Gay Days at Disney, and NEVER SAW THIS AIRPLANE….Do they seriously think a child at the greatest theme park on earth is going to pay attention to a measly airplane flying over? Probably NOT!!! And if the parents are of any worth at all, they’re gonna be paying attention to their children!

1. We were in a smoking area at one point, and a lady and her children were there as well…one of the children made the comment “look mommy, they’re twins” referring to an older couple of gentlemen, of course wearing their red shirts and rainbow mickey pins. And ‘Mommy’ says to her son (approx age 10) Sweetie, they’re not twins, they are life partners. They are showing their pride for gay days…The child replied, “oh, ok mom, that’s cool” and that was that…
      Point being, humans have the blessing of being able to make their own choices about their feelings, I don’t think any religious right group has the power to tell anyone how to feel or ‘warn’ them of something as harmless as gay days at disney. There weren’t any hateful looks that we saw, no offhand remarks made that we heard, or any airplane that I or anyone I was with even noticed “flying over”. All in all, people were there to have a good time…and we succeeded at that!!!

1. Paddyswurds 7 Jun 2011, 12:27am

@Kittay….
        …. isn’t that the whole raison de terre of religion, to dictate and control. That has been it’s function since it was invented by the elders of fearful ignorant tribes wandering the deserts of Egypt and Palestine 4000 + years ago.

1. Try raison d’être, otherwise I agree with you Paddyswurds.

27. We should expose the air plane company,and tell them to donate all money earned to a aids organization for being so stupid

28. I was like, man it’s so boring being stuck in Orlando for a conference, but when I saw that banner “Gay Day at Disney”, I was stoked. Orlando Gay Day is now my favorite June vacation spot. Thanks for the advertisement and thanks for keeping out the all the puckered mouth haters.