Home Depot won’t cave in to anti-gay boycott by the American Family Association

1. Good for Home Depot. How dare the christofascists try and dictate what a private company does.

Oh, and the Southern Poverty Law Centre – one the the leading civil rights groups in the US – puts the AFA on its watch list as a hate group, along with people like the KKK and the WBC. Lovely company to keep for “christians”.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:22am

A lot of these Christian groups esp in American sound like they are straight out of Hitler’s Barmy Army!

2. The AFA are a hate group as Valksy points out, there is not mmuch more to say about them really.

1. A lot of their comments sound very much like … Pepa

3. martyn notman 5 Jun 2011, 6:39pm

and theres 470,000 of the nutters?? Much as i like the US im rather glad i dont live there…

1. Yes but, to be fair, that’s only 0.15% of the US population.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:24am

I know, talk about a minority.
        I guess they are threatened by us because there are considerably more of us than them.
        Hilarious.

2. As more of them find out that they have Gay children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren … and to continue their condemnation, discrimination, and crucifixion, these kids will develop self hate, and possible sucicide, the total should slowly (or quickly) decline. What one sows, so shall they reap!

4. Do they still sell ‘kill a queer for christ’ stickers in the USA?

5. Dan Filson 5 Jun 2011, 6:43pm

I won’t be shopping at the American Families Association in future, that’s for sure. We can’t have them exposing children to bigotry and the like.

6. After reading this, I know I am going to trot down to Home Depot and buy something. Not sure what, but something. I am glad to hear Home Depot is on the side of sanity and is distancing itself from the hate groups such as AFA. “Christian,” indeed! Not any kind of Christianity I ever have heard of. Their behavior and that of NOM is just unimaginable.

7. Bloody hell kepp going and there will be no products or shops for you to go to. I mean Home Deport, Ford, Pepsi, Campbells Soup, McD’s, Hallmark and probably Disney. No one really care’s if you boycott these places…..grow up!

1. If enough retail providers fail to cave into their anti-equality demands, do the AFA eventually starve themselves through lack of viable retailers?
      Still, at least they probably don’t miss Disneyland when they can get all the fairytale fun they want from Ken Ham’s “Discovery institute”… the fundie themepark where they treat the Flintstones as historically accurate. Did you know that T-rexes were essentially vegetarian until after Eve ate the apple?

2. Staircase2 5 Jun 2011, 10:51pm

Actually boycotts are a good way to demonstrate – I just wish they would do similar boycotts for organisations who are treating their workers/clients in an unchristian way – starting with most of their own churches!

8. As an employee of Home Depot, thank you for your stand. It is hard enough to live in a homophobic world, we don’t need it at our work places!
    Thank’s again

9. Staircase2 5 Jun 2011, 10:49pm

“unhealthy and risky environment”….?
    the wankers….lol

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:25am

Yeah, nothing like a classic case of projecting whats going on in Their lives!

10. “Culture War”? Since when is fighting to take away human rights from a group of people a “culture war”? These people are twisted.

11. Well done, Home Depot ! I’ve found it to be an absolutely excellent store when I’m over there.

Their staff are very knowledgeable and couldn’t be more helpful, and there’s never any quibble if you have to take anything back.

Obviously, if you treat the staff well you get a positive attitude, and it certainly shows.

12. Clark Downes 6 Jun 2011, 1:22am

Americans are really passionate about politics – or maybe thats just how its covered in the media. Or maybe its because you only have two political parties? Whatever it is its nice to see – even if it means the negative aspect of strong hate its worth it for the strong pro equality side. All this talk of things such as “boycotts” – you’d never get the in England for homosexuality, possibly racism but not homosexuality.

13. Given that 90 percent of my supplies are purchased at Home Depot Canada I am happy to hear the US division has taken this stand. Given that the AFA are also boycotting companies who support Equalitity and Pride events. I recall years ago a company I worked for did a market study and found they missed out on the gay social dollar and began to promote their beverages and sponsorship by participation at pride events. At the time another community group seeking continued sponsorship had recently spoken out against the company for supporting and “proudly” associating with pride and selling its products to gay businesses and pride. they lost their sponsorship beverage company is a brand sponsor at all Canadian Pride events. The company director who made the decision said we will support who supports us those who threaten to boycott us are hardly going to be loyal. proving Karma is a wonderful thing!

1. Yeah right 6 Jun 2011, 6:19am

“Home Depot is basically encouraging the attendance of children at events which openly expose them to transvestites, cross-dressers, and homosexual activists.”

What sort of shop/store is Home Depot? I assumed it was some sort of hardware/DIY place like we have Homebase or MFI and the like in the UK. If not, somebody please correct me.

But I’ve never seen homosexual activists or cross dressers exposing anything in Homebase. If any of the staff are that way inclined they keep it for after work and spend their shifts in rather unfetching store brand overalls selling paint and wallpaper. Isn’t it the same at Home Depot? What are the AFA expecting to be going on in these shops?

1. Yeah right 6 Jun 2011, 6:20am

I had some more grammar and a line space between the quote and my comment on it. They disappeared. Please extract my point from the mess.

2. Yeah Right – They’re probably expecting macho DIY enthusiasts with lumberjack shirts, handlebar moustaches and tight jeans who are just one hardhat away from completing the lineup for the Village people weilding a large chopper… something like NARTH’s George Rekers would put on the front cover of a book about shaping your child’s sexual identity!

3. @Yeah right, If you walked in a Home Depot you likely wouldn’t tell the difference between it and B&Q as I found when in the UK.

1. Yeah right 6 Jun 2011, 3:59pm

Thanks for confirming that Steve-R. I think then my point stands. LGBT people selling paint and wallpaper are just like any other people in such a humdrum job and unsexy brand uniform and no threat to anyone man, woman or child. It is all nonsense.

I have an image of some fundy at the checkout wanting to know if the shop assistant was straight before making purchases. Because of course the sexuality of the assistant might affect the products on sale!!!!!

4. Steven Rowland 7 Jun 2011, 12:40pm

Home Depot is 100% like B and Q here in the UK and i work in B and Q too it as the same colours and same lay out and a lot of gay man and girls work at B and Q and i know of 3 in my store

1. as you work with them, and presumably talk to them in the staff room etc, you would know if they are gay or straight. But why would any member of the public visting the store need to know that, and HOW could they possibly know? It’s not as if the gay staff wear different uniforms! Or perhaps that is what the AFA would like – gay people with pink triangles displayed at all times so that they know who they are and can avoid being contaminated by any contact with them.

1. Some of the comments need to be redirected to the “Article” The AFA objected to the pro equality workplace policies and subsequently made mention of its disapproval of Home Depot’s participation in “Pride events” where transvestites, cross dressers, and homosexual events. I found no reference to how staff conducted or represented or identified them selves in stores

14. Never heard of Home Depot before, but good for them.
    Let’s hope the louder the AFA shouts, the more bonkers and out-of-touch it’ll seem.

15. de Villiers 6 Jun 2011, 7:49am

> asking them to remain neutral in the culture war
    This statement is disingenuous. First, it is unfortunate that a campaign for equal rights can be described as a “war”. Second, there is no such thing as “neutrality”.
    If Home Depot refused to grant equal benefits to the partners of gay employees, then it would be taking sides de facto. It would be taking the side to deny people equal rights. Similarly, to grant such rights is to take the side to grant people equal rights.
    If there is a “war” on which there are “two sides”, I cannot see how there can be a “neutral” position here.

16. Social reactionaries clash with corporate capitalism. In the West they seem to have been in cahoots for decades, but this shows the fundamentally different agendas that they have. It’s exquisite. But good for Home Depot, by the way!

17. Jock S. Trap 6 Jun 2011, 11:21am

Why don’t they just bury themselves in that massive hole they are digging.
    Excellent that companies are willing to stand up against these homophobes no matter what.
    As for the American Family Ass, what a bunch of hypocrites.
    Pedaling hate for there own ends.
    Where the love?

1. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 3:57pm

Hopefully if they stop going to Home Depot they’ll have to stop digging that hole.

2. Lyuba Tereshchenko 7 Jun 2011, 12:22am

AFA, Иди на хуй!

18. Home Depot just regained my patronage.

19. Galadriel1010 6 Jun 2011, 3:58pm

Good for Home Depot. I’m sure the boycott will work as well for them as the one against Pepsi did – didn’t it increase Pepsi’s profits?

20. David Myers 7 Jun 2011, 5:29am

“The AFA are currently also boycotting Ford, Pepsi, Campbell Soup Company, McDonald’s and Hallmark for their approach to LGBT equality.”

There you go folks . . . a list of approved corporations who have refused to be cowed by right wing fundamentalist bigots. Patronize these companies and also tell them you appreciate their non-homophobic corporate poliecies.

21. Is there anything specifically about the companies that caused them to be on their boycott list. I find it funny how google is not on this list and how despite being involved in the it gets better project and even having a great reputation for treating its employees, including the lgbt ones, never come under fire. Guess “googling” has become so popular that people forget that alternatives do exist. still i doubt these people have the capacity to realise that fact.

22. Luke from Canada 14 Jun 2011, 7:54am

awwwww poor babies

23. It may have been overly polite for Home Depot to thank a designated hate group for their input.

24. Well done to you, never let the right wing in. I will shop even more at you stores and so will my friends.

25. Thankfully we don`t have the AFA here in Canada. But I am sure there is some other such group lurking in the darkness somewhere. I am glad for Home depots stand against these people. I just wish there was some way to identify them when they are shopping . Like maybe an armband or something . So I can avoid them like the plague.