Facebook belatedly remove transphobic hate page

1. Alexander Hauser 3 Jun 2011, 12:06pm

This happened before. We found a hateful page titled “Nicetry Youfreakytrannybitch” – a page dedicated to insulting a pre-hormone, pre-op transperson who didn’t really ‘pass’ yet. Over 20 people complained about it, but it still took Facebook about a week to close it down.

Facebook isn’t very good with dealing with these kind of things. I’ve found loads of anti-LGBT stuff on there – one page called “no gay or lesbian in my town!”, which took a shamefully long time for FB to remove.

There’s also loads of stuff insulting people with mental health problems, one page even suggesting that all autistic boys will all grow up to be rapists. And still, FB does little about such poisonous hatred.

1. kate Gaming 6 Jun 2011, 7:22pm

I have created a petition on change.org to Facebook http://www.change.org/petitions/ask-facebook-to-remove-hate-material-and-offensive-troll-pages?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=own_wall Please sign and promote this petition widely. It has been getting facebook’s attention. If enough people get behind this, maybe…just maybe facebook will look seriously at their policy for removal of pages.

2. miss Dennis Queenj 3 Jun 2011, 12:23pm

Facebook page is only part of the problem, what does the person involved have to say and their employer? what do the police have to say – this should be reported to the police if someone is receiving violent threats.

3. Facebook needs more administrators in foreign languages, because hateful pages are not remove in other homophobic countries.

4. Christine Burns 3 Jun 2011, 12:47pm

Although Facebook has a part to play in incidents like this (and must be pressured to take that responsibility more seriously), people should not forget to use the law on harassment and anti-social behaviour if the events occur in the UK.

Just because people are online doesn’t mean that the law doesn’t apply to them. However, the Police can only investigate if incidents are drawn to their attention. Ironically, Facebook users are generally easier to track down than IDs on other platforms, if only because these kinds of users leave such detailed pointers to their real world identities.

5. Rufus Red 3 Jun 2011, 1:42pm

The Facebook mouthpiece quoted here is a liar. I had a photograph removed from a Facebook page by their censors within 24 hours. It was of myself, showing a tattoo but deemed unsuitable. Fair enough, fair cop. But in 24 HOURS folks! Not weeks. And I’m a no-body. Facebook don’t take homophibia seriously. Never have. I suggest by-passing complaints and send all cases of homophobia to the press. It’s only then these gits do soemthing, as we have seen.

6. HelenWilson 3 Jun 2011, 3:05pm

The page was reported to TyneTrans, and then to the Safe Newcastle Team who then reported it to the police. The issue was taken very seriously by them. I think the the page was left up for a few days after that point at the request of the police so the can track the perpetrators who had also taken covert pictures (stalking) of the woman involved .

just because we cant see action being taken does not mean things are not happening against the page.

I hope this helps clarify what happened in this case.

1. half with you on this, Helen. But i have written about half a dozen of these Facebook stories over the last couple of years and it all gets depressingly the same. I call the press office with a question: why is this page still up? Or why has it been taken down?

And magically, despite ordinary folks complaining for hours, days even, within 30 minutes of my calling, something has happened. I’m not saying its co-incidence. But its a mighty big co-incidence.

So, if you want real chapter and verse on the issue here, it is that FB seem to respond fast when the press get involved – but their system is very slow and tends not to work very well otherwise.

That’s a system error.

jane
      xx

7. The WHOF page (Wipeout Homophobia on Facebook) has nearly 100,000 members who regularly monitor, flag, and report homophobic, transphobic, and other hate pages (and comments on them) to FB admin.
    More than 2,000 such pages have already been taken down.
    The URL for the group:

Take an opportunity to be a part of the solution, yes?

8. Jock S. Trap 4 Jun 2011, 9:23am

Too many nasty people in this world who will stop at nothing when it comes to making others suffer.
    Facebook needs to be more transparent and quicker at dealing with these forms of intimidation and abusive within it’s pages.
    They have a responsibility to it’s Majority who just want to use Facebook for friends and interets that don’t include discrimination.

9. Rich (original) 4 Jun 2011, 1:09pm

Who is a trans “woman”? It is a degenerated homosexual in the state of permanent delusion.

1. Delusion? Something you are more then au fait with Rich. See you English is getting better by the day. And very American. How odd.

2. Jock S. Trap 5 Jun 2011, 10:27am

Wow, so uneducated.

10. Valentina 4 Jun 2011, 7:20pm

I have lesbian friends who keep saying that transexuals (M2F) are just a mockery of women, and that (F2M) are traitors of womens. What should I say to them?

1. What? Are you serious? Forget what to say to them, and go get smarter friends…. a measure of a person is the worth of their friends, so you can see how this reflects very badly on you.

2. I have straight friends who keep saying that lesbians (muff diggers) are just a mockery of women, and that (these degenerates) are traitors of women. What should I say to them?
      or maybe:
      I have male friends who keep saying that women (weak sex) are just a mockery of edcuation, and that (idiots) are traitors of humanity. What should I say to them?

When you put it like this Valentina, is this a valid question too? Why not go back and have a good think about how ignorant and offensive your silly statement was, honey, yeah? Good girl.

11. Has anyone witnessed the vile and disgusting videos of transgendered and TV people being bullied on Youtube? These uploads are undertaken by sick morons who think it’s SO clever to ‘film’ TG and TV people on their mobiles and then post them up so that the abuse can continue by comments from other YT subscribers (and believe me, the abuse DOES continue!). The only purpose of the exercise is to harass, ridicule and promote violence towards the TG and TV community. I have reported these postings to YT and hope that they will be removed soon. One case involves a person from Birkenhead who is just going about their daily business and is accosted by sick and nasty individuals, the results then being posted on YT. Heck, even a North West radio station ‘promoted’ this vile preoccupation one day whilst asking listeners to call in with details of ‘local characters’. I felt so sickened that I complained to the station (Real Radio). I did not get a response. We just have to keep fighting!