Ugandan woman branded with iron for being a lesbian faces deportation from UK

1. I hope she isn’t
    This makes a liar out of clegg but he’s been caught lying before
    It shows how little LBG folk are respected by the UK system

1. You know, it seems to me that often the most desperate cases are chucked out – people that really would be killed (I mean Uganda, come ON, scum of the earth Uganda)…and yet we open our doors to rapists, murderers and people who drift around never working or that live double lives as benefits claimants and millionaires back in their own countries…and we only do something about them once they commit crime or are found to be frauding the UK system. The really needy of refuge Betty Tibikawa’s of this world are always the ones that suffer for this open door policy and the soft btargets to try and send back. I hope they take another look at her case. To send her back to Uganda would mean her death for sure. She would be in enormous peril if they sent her back.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 4:03pm

Here! Here!

2. Absolutely! I’m sick of reading how deportation targets are met by picking on innocent and vulnerable people while those who are here fraudulently are allowed to stay because of some spurious reasons. many of those who stay are here because they can work the system NOT because they’re the most deserving.

1. Absolutely Iris

2. Having worked at some immigration removal centres I know there are some claimants for asylum who are playing the system and allege they either face victimisation or falsely claim to be homosexual in order to get a right to remain in the UK. We need to be strong and stand against these people because they devalue the genuine claims (including in all likelihood the one mentioned in this article).

We need to have clear standards that reject false claims but also stand strongly against regimes such as Uganda and protect those genuinely in fear.

1. Don Harrison 2 Jun 2011, 2:39pm

Chester do not brand that it is Nick Glegg’s fault.
      Remember “Yes Minister” on Television?
      I am sure that Lynne Fethersone will be on the case.

3. Why would anyone in their right mind pretend they’re gay coming from a proven anti-gay oppressive regime? Why would anyone want to emigrate to the UK illegally knowing they could face certain deportation, as is more often the case, to a fate that could end their lives by admitting they’re gay even if they’re not? Lets face it, how many of them are allowed to remain in the UK by playing the gay card? Makes no sense even if it’s obvious why some do it. You’d have to be out of your mind knowing our questionable track record on asylum. What if a claim is genuine and the person is deported anyway? I can’t believe our government hasn’t done that.

1. @Robert

I can’t answer why they would – but having spoken to many asylum seekers both in detention and in the community – I have had several happily admit that they were fabricating their sexuality in the hope it would persuade UK government to permit them to remain in the UK.

1. paul canning 2 Jun 2011, 2:22pm

You are right that the fakes make it harder for the rest but unfortunately every case is being assumed to be fake merely on anecdotal evidence such as yours (or mine, I know of some cases). There are no facts here. There are numerous cases where Blind Freddy would know the person is gay – including ones where they’re harassed as gay in detention! – yet the system says no. We know that well over half of all initial refusals are being overturned. It is built on refuse, refuse, refuse… This is not a system doing its job properly – and it wastes millions of pounds.

Look at this case and tell me this isn’t bigotry and money-wasting at work > http://madikazemi.blogspot.com/2011/05/gay-tanzanian-activist-meets-british.html

1. Paul

I do agree with your assessment but equally the cost of returning the deportees is astronomical

1. paul canning 2 Jun 2011, 10:42pm

Maybe but is as nothing comapred to the costs of the system #fail, see > http://madikazemi.blogspot.com/2011/01/bad-decisions-detention-ignoring-courts.html

2. Spanner1960 2 Jun 2011, 1:39pm

Well that daft cow recently did just that.
      These people are desperate, they have no money, no livelihood and no future, so better to take the risk and come here with whatever bullsh|t story they can dream up than live in a crappy country.

I fully sympathise with the reasons these people come here, but it still doesn’t justify us letting most of them in. We are not a charity. We have enough problems of our own without taking on other countries. Unless it can be proven that the persons life is at risk, they should be shipped back from wherever they came, via the country that let them through if the case applies.

1. Tell me on what basis do we let ‘most of them in?’ Do you have believable stats to hand or are you just making an assumption based on personal prejudices and years of Daily Mail readership?

Also, what problems do we have? Compared to someone who has clambered through several countries to escape violence or persecution often leaving friends and family behind.

Contrary to popular myth we’re not ‘overrun’ with immigrants. We’ve got nearly 85% of our land as greenbelt and towns and citites are busy.

Money? Well, people who do come into this country and not automatically entitled to public funds. In fact, public funds are often witheld for years at a time. A lot of these people aren’t scroungers – they’re desperately in need of help.

It also surprises me that some here clearly have no sense of humanity or compassion and are keen to be swept up in myths and tales.

1. PumpkinPie 2 Jun 2011, 7:42pm

Nice to see a comment like this on here. Britain has it easy compared to the vast majority of the world. I believe in equality for all people, no matter what country they were born in, and that involves making sacrifices.

2. @Mendirin

I have huge empathy with your position there and I do recognise that there are numbers of asylum seekers that genuinely have need and we should support and protect.

However, one segment of your comment I feel does need a response. You state that some asylum seekers have “clambered through several countries to escape violence and persecution”. I would argue that in many cases the continuing to travel through many countries is not about finding freedom and safety (they could have achieved this in numerous third party states en route to the UK) and is more about reaching the UK

1. I agree. But then if you were to hear stories of how great a country was when you’re growing up you’d probably go there too in the first instance if you were unable to stay where you were.

People don’t often want to just escape – they want somewhere where they can live out there lives in peace and relative comfort and many countries in Europe aren’t as tolerant as the UK when it comes to immigrants.

Saying that I bet there’s also a huge number of immigrants that clamber through to many countries – not just the UK.

My issue is that we have these myths going around which are spread by uneducated and ignorant bigots (incidently some of the same ones who complain about how homophobic people are).

I KNOW that recourse to public funds is rarely granted, nor are people moved into wonderful luxurious apartments and houses while their cases are reviewed. They’re often pumped onto social services who have no option but to stick them in rancid B&B’s who charge over the odds anyhow.

2. Also, we have loads of room. The majority of our land is green space and forest. Sitting there doing nothing.

It just gets me because I’ve heard the stories of people coming from one place to another through fear. Read over these stories, one’s from Uganda, from Jamaica, Barbados..even the USA is completely backward at protecting its own minorities.

People may lie to get in this country. It’s not up to me to disprove them. It is up to us as a country though to hear them out and make a valued judgement based on evidence as opposed to letting our own sweeping prejudices run our lives.

3. @Menderin
            I have lots of sympathy with what you say and where there are genuine cases either for asylum or right to remain then they should be granted.
            I agree that the reality of asylum seekers who are awaiting decision are not that they live in luxury but that they are either with friends, in the care of social services/charity or in a detention centre. There are very few asylum seekers who even have recourse to NHS services (except in genuine emergency) let alone issues such as benefits.
            However, purely because you have heard there is a good country in your education does not make that a reasonable proposition as to why you should choose that country when you are seeking safety.
            If I want to move country for example to New Zealand, I have to prove that I fulfill the requirements to enter New Zealand – it is not for New Zealand to prove that I do not (except in case of appeal). If I am unable to prove my right to remain or claim asylum then I will be deported.

4. Just because other European countries are not as accepting of immigrants as the UK is – does not make it right that the UK should accept all immigrants coming to its shores. In one sense you could perceive it as a positive thing that immigrants feel they are welcome in the UK but it also can be seen that we are a weak touch and they can abuse the system.
            It is those that abuse our hospitality and welcome and assume they can have entry by lying that make it worse for those asylum seekers who have need that we would accept as being our responsibility to support.
            I have seen too many visa overstays where they knew UKBA would find them eventually and not only pay for their flight home but offer them a payment to go home – some people return repeatedly in the hope of this. I agree this may not be representative but it is a fact we need to consider.
            It is not up to us to disprove any asylum application – it is for the applicant to prove their need.
            Check our population density!

3. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 1:56pm

Robert,
      I would imagine plenty would pretend to be Gay esp from those countries because they feel it’s a dead cert to stay here and get benefits.
      Yes it is a risk but take into account the risks people take on their own safety getting into this country.
      Unfortunately that doesn’t help those genuine who need th ehelp and truely deserve to be here and assisted to have a better life.

1. paul canning 2 Jun 2011, 2:23pm

You would *assume* that. Based on what? Gut instinct?

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 2:39pm

Paul love, your welcome to show me I’m wrong…
          Lets not be stupid and deny this happens, coz neither of us in and we both know people will fake it.
          But it’s those fakers who selfishly make things even more difficult for those genuinely in need of our help.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 2:42pm

Correction,
            Was supposed to be coz neither of us is…

2. paul canning 2 Jun 2011, 3:07pm

Sorry, I meant your comment that “plenty” pretend to be gay. Neither of us actually know how many are trying it on, “plenty” is the assumption and my point is that the assumption is damaging to the genuine cases – because the system then fails to protect them. I linked in another comment to a case which just shows how genuine cases end up being treated – because the system thinks they’re all false.

3. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 4:16pm

I agree with that Paul.
            I don’t actually envy those that genuinely have to make these decisions of who is genuinely in need and who is claiming falsely.
            One man’s guilty fake claims is another 5 completely innocent people desperately in need.
            Take Betty Tibikawa, from what I see she needs our help. She needs to have the chance to see life being Lesbian here in the UK is different and accepting,
            I would imagine she would happily contribute to this country and be a credit for what she believes and a valuable member of the community.
            But we cannot pretend nor deny the amount that do come here, purely for self interest and to try to get off the state what they can.
            When the ECHR tells us that people in another country are perfectly entitled to claim benefits here when they go home when we are struggling to finance ourselves.
            These are the people that make life difficult for all those genuine people. It’s cruel because those fakers probably don’t give a damn about those genuine seekers.

4. paul canning 2 Jun 2011, 10:49pm

Well I read what people making decisions write and it’s often unreal, twisting things to make people look less than credible. Corny to call it that but really it is like something out of Kafka. There *are some good people in there but the whole system reeks of homophobia, it’s like the last bit of government where it’s able to be overt. I do wish people would see it in that context, like we’ve got close to eliminating it everywhere in terms of how the government treats people *except this area. And it is happening to some of the weakest people, ones who’ve been tortured for being gay for example. There needs to be a definite top-down message that it won’t be tolerated but because it’s asylum seekers politicians won’t do it: they fear the Mail’s reaction. That’s the truth!

5. @Paul

I agree there is homophobia in UKBA but all the immigration judges I have had conversations with are either gay themselves or extremely gay friendly.

There are plenty of appeal options open which if presented appropriately to immigration judges can lead to judicial review and prevention of deportation. These can happen even if the deportation process has been started and the person is even en route on an aircraft out of the UK. There is also the 28 day appeal process to the European court that the British Embassy/High Commission and Immigration charities can assist with after deportation.

Yes, we need to change the attitudes in UKBA.

We also need to remove those immigration solicitors who are lying to detained asylum seekers and fleecing them of money and making n o appeals to the immigration court on their behalf

We also need to acknowledge that the actual judicial system for immigration in the UK is in itself fair and impartial and much better than many other nations.

2. Don Harrison 2 Jun 2011, 2:49pm

Jock I am sure you are right. That messes things up for the genuine cases.

4. Spanner1960 2 Jun 2011, 1:33pm

I wouldn’t worry, I’m sure she will be given amnesty with the other 300,000+ “Asylum Seekers” this totally incompetent immigration department is letting through because of the backlog.

This particular case sounds pretty genuine, but you can bet your arse for every real asylum seeker there are 50 other economic migrants trying to ponce their way into the country, and that’s before we even count the so-called European ‘visitors.’

1. Spanner: I disagree – many of the 300000 you mention have aplied for asylum and are either awaiting a decision or have been turned down and thus do not have any support and cannot work – there seems little prospect for a resolution especially when repatriation is not possible in cases where the country of origin is likely to abuse the asylum seeker if returned. Of course there are are economic migrants but most of the asylum seekers I have met are genuine!

2. Sister Maray Clarence 3 Jun 2011, 8:31pm

So fecking what if they are economic migrants?

Let then work and pay taxes, someone has got to and you average ‘British’ worker, doesn’t seem to want to these days.

If anyone is sucking up benefits it sure as hell isn’t the refugee population. Any that are are a drop in the ocean behind your native British benefit scrounger.

I usually find that the ones kicking off loudest about immigrants are the ones that are benefiting most from the taxes that immigrant workers are paying.

All off topic however, and I sincerely hope that decency kicks in at some point and we stop sending anyone (gay or straight) back to Uganda until the country is sorted out

5. Jen Marcus 2 Jun 2011, 1:47pm

This is like sentencing this woman to death! I thought the UK was more advanced than the USA ,which is not exactly an LGBT paradise, so what is the UK government really thinking and doing?

6. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 1:53pm

I think the government needs to step up to the plate, faster to stop these deportation from happening.
    It is clear these people shouldn’t be sent back so Mr Clegg must do the action not just say the words.
    I understand that because people do play the system it will be a difficult system But in this case where is is blatantly obvious the government needs to be taking a stand and protect.

1. It can be changed by the government clarifying or improving policy in this area

It can also be changed by dealing with corruption amongst certain immigration lawyers who fleece their clients and make them believe that they are going to be freed but do nothing on their clients behalf other than take their money.

There are some very good immigration lawyers out there – but there are some fraudsters – who if their clients were going to remain in the UK and have a chance of complaining to the UK police or law society would not pull stunts like the ones they do pull.

7. Poor, poor woman – bad enough being attacked, but to be disowned by her family (clearly one that, like so many others in Uganda, cherishes Christian values) afterwards, rather than given support. What a bunch of barbarians.

8. Sadly, this country has rejects asylum seekers, often genuine, on an industrial scale and this is yet another example of the travesty that occurs.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 2:44pm

Yes but this government is supposed to be changing that.
      They seem to be taking their time.

1. Jock: if you listen to David Cameron’s keynote address on immigration (see for example http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8449324/David-Cameron-migration-threatens-our-way-of-life.html) he says a lot about controlling immigration but very little about helping genuine asylum seekers, who often have to suffer because they cant claim benefits or allowed to work and yet often cant be deported either.

This is true for all the parties and little appears to have changed. Escaping the effects of homophobia is but one reason why people come to seek asylum in the UK. It seems the chances of a favorable outcome are small. This is an issue that concerns me a lot and in my small way I’m trying to help.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jun 2011, 4:25pm

Oh yes I know but both David Cameron and Nick Clegg at the start of the coalition said they were going to put a stop to those LGBT immigrants that face punishment and/or death of they returned to their own country.
          This was a promise alongside working with the wider world to get to accept more LGBT Rights and Civil Partnerships.
          They need to be seen visibly acting on this issue.
          I can’t help thinking allowing genuine LGBT asylum seekers into the country, allowing them to work and contribute to the community would be a far better, positive policy than allowing the Polish druggies that hang round certain Tower Hamlets Tube stations begging for money to pay for their habit.
          (And yes I know Poland is in the EU – I’m just going on what I have observed over the years.)

1. Jock: I take your point about the government promising to look more favorably on the claims of those whose reasons for coming here is to escape persecution because of their sexuality. We don’t know all the details of this particular case and without wanting to defend the government it seems this is one more example of them expecting the claimant to prove they are genuine (which often is very difficult) rather than the UKBA proving they are not. I can’t speak about the Polish druggies you refer to but I agree it is sad we let in those who shouldn’t be here and make unwelcome those who should be here.

9. We have a “lesbian who does”, she’s very good at ironing.

10. Mark Smith 2 Jun 2011, 3:35pm

For a country that has so many rights for our GBLT brothers and sisters, this is a total slap in the face to us. If they send her back, they’re signing her death warrant.

11. Cpt Kibbles 2 Jun 2011, 4:09pm

just thought id mention theres no such thing as a genuine or ungenuine asylum seeker since its a legal term, semantics i know but just a little pet hate of mine is all and for the benefit of certain people about figures, the UK does not get most people claiming for asylum in europe, in fact its the southern european countries that do, that is at least acording to United Nations Refugee Agency, here’s a pretty good breakdown of everything if your intrested

also acording to this the number of people claiming asylum in europe has fallen for the past few years, anyway that said the system we operate in the UK does not seem up to scratch most of the time it apears (at least acording to the same agency) not just on LGBT people but also political enemies of countries, is it any wonder no one seems to want the UK border agency’s directors position heh

1. quite right and one of the reason the numbers are dropping is because of the tightening of border controls – we just don’t let them in even if genuine. Nevertheless, there are still a large number of asylum seekers in the UK still (no one knows the exact number but estimates around half a million seem about right).

2. thanks for the link – looks really helpful,

may I also commend to readers a recent report by Oxfam that states the case for destitution v.well:

12. Cpt Kibbles 2 Jun 2011, 4:35pm

im unsure what you mean by those numbers, do you mean those who have claimed and not been granted or those who have claimed and have been granted or somthing else? as both of those figures are publicly avalible and if granted the person ceases to be an asylum seeker and becomes a refugee which is a different kettle of fish and it should be said border controls themselves shouldnt really have much impact on those claiming asylum as its very different from illegal immigration although those who do enter the country either legaly or illegaly are able to claim asylum

1. I have doubt that the number of those whose claim for asylum is accepted (ie they then become a refugee) is in the public domain and this is no doubt the case for those who claim but who are turned down. The figure that seems to be elusive is the number of people who don’t have the right to stay here or who are somewhere in the system i.e. claiming, having claimed but turned down, are appealing or have simply gone underground. In my experience it is these folks who suffer the most. As for UKBA turning away would be asylum seekers before they enter the UK, this is a significant factor in the number of actual asylum seeker number reducing. Many simply don’t get to the UK in order to make a claim.

13. I don’t beleive all these are genuine claims, it’s easy to claim your lesbian or gay. There are genuine cases which we clearly need to help, there are however many playing the system then preaching homophobic hatred when they are here.
    It must be difficult living in Uganda and been gay, but rights won’t be acheived by leaving the country. I understand people are often in difficult situations but if they can make it to the UK they can clearly move to a differant part of their own country/continent where they could have a new life without the abuse.

1. actually, there appears to be some evidence that moving to another part of the country will not mean escaping the abuse. but you are quite right about not everyone is genuine and while I think the UK vetting system is seriously flawed, I understand why the UKBA will want to be convinced that each case it deals with is genuine before granting asylum. I have been told of stories where people seeking leave to remain in the UK have claimed they are escaping abuse because they are gay, when is not the case.

2. “I don’t beleive all these are genuine claims, it’s easy to claim your lesbian or gay. ”

I think the branding in this case might be a give away.

1. you are right of course Will and also with your later comment. As one involved in advocacy work on behalf of asylum seekers, I am naturally disposed to support the claimant anyway, but all too often even the “cast iron” cases are not always seen like that by our decision makers and sadly not all claimants are honest.

I heard a piece on the news about clearing the backlog of cases and relatively few being deported, often leaving the claimant in great difficulties I hope this lady gets the help she desrves.

14. Cpt Kibbles 2 Jun 2011, 5:04pm

@JohnB

ahh fair enough in that case yes i was misundersanding you, although i belive in previous years the BBC has collected the figures through freedom of infomation requests however im not 100% of that but yes i agree somtimes the figures are very spun in some way which is why i prefure the UN figures as they seem more balanced to me

1. I think statistics are often double edged. Sometimes they can be helpful and sometimes misleading. The trick is to get as full and balanced picture as possible and this is what is often missing in the whole debate. The complexities and philisophical rationale behind immigration and asylum seeking often appear beyond my capabilities to fully comprehend but the need for a compassionate yet robust response seems paramount especially as seems clear (and the article that gave rise to this thread is but one example) there are significant social justice issues here.

15. “being branded with a hot iron in her home country as a punishment for being a lesbian” – Uganda, 2011

“To try to force a confession, priest applied hot fat repeatedly to her eyes and her armpits, the pit of her stomach, her thighs, her elbows, and ‘dans sa nature” – Witch Trails, 1587

How far we have come.

1. Perfect analogy. And both inspired by a feverish puritanical love of christianity.

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Jun 2011, 8:41am

Exactly Will.
      What we see is not progress in Humanity it’s almost a stalemate in some countries.
      Problem is it IS always religion that causes this so here we actually have proof that Religion purposely intends to keep Humanity down whereever and however they can.
      This is not Love, this is Hell.

16. I have heard of people being branded in Poland if they commit a crime, but never branded a Lesbian, this is shocking. This is against any person’s human rights, it seems that one does not have the right to exist in a foreign country that does not understand homosexuality, lesbianism nor transgendered people. These countries need to be more tolerant with their diverse communities.

17. A new report found a thid of rapists are imagrents….do they get deported….I doubt it, I mean look how long the ‘hook’ took to be deported and he was a threat to the whole country. People like betty need shelter,protection and a chance. They’ve come here for safety not the handouts!

1. paul canning 2 Jun 2011, 10:57pm

That was in The Sun. It’s wrong. They made it up to push an agenda. These are the facts > http://jcwi.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/a-study-in-distortion-how-the-sun-twists-the-figures/

1. Jock S. Trap 3 Jun 2011, 8:56am

That might well be the case Paul but how many times have we heard of an immigrant committing a serious crime and while we try to deport after their sentence, the lawyers and judges favour Human Right and stop them being removed.
        Personally I prefer the Australian method esp for Visa’s.
        ie if your Visa runs out you have to leave and you can only apply or appeal from another country.
        It doesn’t have to be your original country.
        I wish we would adopt this system for immigrants who commit serious crimes and repreat offenders of smaller crimes and remove those who clearly have nothing to contribute and go in the favour of people like Betty who clearly have every right to be here and have the help she deserves.
        Clearly there are plenty who come here to escape regimes who would be happy to come, contribute to society and the wider community and they Should be given the chance.
        That’s where taxpayers money should be going not keeping those who wish to hurt others.

1. @Jock S Trap

The reality is that many of those being removed by UKBA are visa overstayers in any case and they are welcome back in the UK if they get their papers in order and have justifable reason for a further visa or alternative application

18. Paddyswurds 2 Jun 2011, 11:25pm

When Britain colonised Africa in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and enslaved it’s inhabitants, shipped them to England in coffin ships and put them to work building up Britain with their enslaved labour , there wasn’t a clamour to “send them back”. These people have earned the right to come to the UK by the blood and sweat of their enslaved ancestors. This is the consequence of colonisation. Suck it up and get over it.

1. Spanner1960 4 Jun 2011, 4:41pm

So why are you over here as well then?
      And since when did we colonise Uganda, Turkey, Albania, Lithuania, Poland etc etc?

19. Debbie Epstein 2 Jun 2011, 11:27pm

Please sign and circulate the petition at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/letbettystay/

1. David Myers 3 Jun 2011, 12:21am

I’m very happy to see your posting. I was about to write “Why hasn’t anyone set up a petition through Avaaz.org” until I saw your post. Maybe it should be set up with both petition websites?

20. Uganda laws are no concern of the uk.
    Cant keep keeping these people here, we need to start looking after our own first and stop sending aid abroad too.

1. David Myers 3 Jun 2011, 12:25am

Have you ever heard of Pastor Niemoeller’s famous quote, James?

“First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out–
      because I was not a communist;
      Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out–
      because I was not a socialist;
      Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out–
      because I was not a trade unionist;
      Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out–
      because I was not a Jew;
      Then they came for me–
      and there was no one left to speak out for me.”

Pastor Martin Niemoeller – Germany, 1945

You sound like you’ve got that “I got mine Jack!” mentality. Where is your humanity?

1. Rich (original) 3 Jun 2011, 1:45am

Yea, yea…. He was nice and intelligent, but I don’t believe he would ever stand for homosexuals. He know about then in Germany more then well, but he would stand for them. I am sure about that.

2. Rich (original) 3 Jun 2011, 1:48am

Yea, yea…. He was nice and intelligent, but I don’t believe he would ever stand for homosexuals. He knows about homosexuals in Germany very well, but he wouldn’t stand for them anywhere. I am sure about that. he didn’t stands for them even after the WWII.

3. Rich (original) 3 Jun 2011, 1:52am

Do you think any British homosexual who appeared on this website and who hate ANY priest of any reliigous order will defend any priest when police will arrest him? Absolutely not! They will support police, becasue they are same fascists type of people as German people were….

4. @Rich

What a sad sad person you are.

I fully endorse the rights of every person regardless of race, sex, orientation, disability, nationality, religion etc to all be treated fairly and equally – with respect, honour and human rights and dignity.

Now, you may find this hard to accept but that means that I support those being tortured due to being gay. I also would support those being physically attacked for their beliefs (even if I did not agree with those beliefs). Physical violence is not appropriate.

Nor is bigotry, sophistry and intimidation – all things that certain religious groups, organisations and cults utilise under a guise of freedom of speech. As has been said many times on this site – there is a fundamental right to free speech – but with that right comes responsibilities – unfortunately, certain groups and individuals seem to pick and choose the responsibilities they wish to accept and thats not how it works – human rights are absolute and integrate together.

2. Jock S. Trap 3 Jun 2011, 9:00am

You say Ugandan laws are no concern of the UK.
      But Human Rights and Human Welfare Are and they should be a concern to Every person on this planet.
      Anyway, actually while we help fund that country, Ugandan laws have everything to do with us.

1. We may send aid, but that doesnt give us a say in the laws. Get rid of her!

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Jun 2011, 9:31am

Well it should and does, furthermore we should have the right to withdraw it if a country refuses to treat it’s citizens better.

3. @James

Fortunately some of us have a sense of international responsibility.

We recall the successes of international comment and intervention against Idi Amin in Uganda, against Pol Pot in Cambodia and various other events including Germany under the N@zis.

We also recall the horrific failures of the international community in Srebrenica and Rwanda where thousands were massacred and the international community stood by and watched.

Shame on anyone who stands by and washes their hands and says genocide of LGBT people in East Africa is nothing to do with us – their blood will be on your hands ….

21. DJ Sheepiesheep 3 Jun 2011, 12:52am

Whether she is or is not a lesbian is not really the point. The fact is that if people in Uganda believe that she is, then her life is in danger. The answer must lie in obtaining a copy of the edition of the paper that outed her. If she was outed then her life is in danger and a civilized country should grant her asylum. I sincerely hope that includes the UK.

22. Rich (original) 3 Jun 2011, 1:42am

What a cruel and inhuman British government are! Let her stay in Britain, please!!!….

1. Rich – let me get this right – you don’t like homosexuality – you don’t like the British government, but you like the British government less … thats how I take you most recent comment … worrying given your stark calls for mass murder of homosexuals – now should the UK police service be interested in you on ground of national security if you are so militantly opposed to UK government?

1. Its the problem with trying to be a troll and a fraud when he doesn’t have the intellect to keep the charade up – it ends up confusing him to no end, and making it really obvious what he is to the rest of us.

23. Gay Daily Mail Reader 3 Jun 2011, 10:54am

Let her stay! And stop giving regimes like Uganda foreign aid. Our door should be open to the persecuted of this world but while the likes of Betty Tibikawa are threatened with deportation perverts and rapists are allowed to stay because of their ‘Yuman Rites’.

1. The “yuman rights” which also guarentees our right to a family life. Yes it sucks when rights are used to defend bad people, but if they didnt, then there would be no such thing as rights.

24. I really hope she’s allowed to stay and as far as I can make out from the facts being reported she’s a “genuine” case – however – with regards to that matter, as long as the guys coming into this country make a decent contribution to the place, I have absolutely no problem with them, however many there are, just a shame we cant deport our own losers in exchange!

25. johnny33308 3 Jun 2011, 2:05pm

Even the very idea of deporting someone, anyone, to a country where they are quite likely to be murdered for being who they are, is unhuman, and anathema to anyone with a conscience as well as a blatantly bigoted action. The blood of this person will be on the hands of those who deported her. BE WARNED! She has already been branded-does that not tell you ANYTHING? Thanks, of course, to our lovely evangelical Christian (American) friends for crafting the Kill the Gays Bill as well as preaching in many churches in Uganda that it is VERY good to kill gays. Their hearts are just filled to the top with the Love of Jesus!!!!! America has become the land of the BIGOT, the fundamentalist Christian BIGOT, proud of their bigotry, wearing it with great pride!!!! Another excellent reason to ban all religion, forever.
    All over the earth.

1. Johnny, I know evangelical Christians who are appalled the way this lady has been welcomed (or rather NOT) into the UK and the homophobic attitudes being perpetrated in some of these countries in the name of religion.

26. Calamity Jane 4 Jun 2011, 9:13am

This is just an outrage. The asylum system has been out of control for decades and they pick on this poor woman. From the evidence given, if the pols don’t stop this, we will know for sure that the Cameron/Clegg administration’s immigration policy is to play to the Daily Mail gallery.

27. monkey for sale 4 Jun 2011, 2:21pm

African solutions for African problems.This country should not be a bin for wog violence.