Stephen Fry says he finds fame ‘exhausting’ and that suicide is always an option

1. someone slap him please

1. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 2 Jun 2011, 2:59pm

Slap Him Yourself Or Shut Up No Balls,

Your Obviously Nasty, As You Want Someone Else To Slap Stephen Fry & Not You Yourself :/

1. your mum

2. There’s this little two-letter word, No. He might try it sometime.

1. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 2 Jun 2011, 2:57pm

You Try Saying NO, When People Are Following You Or Stalking Your, Or Pestering You & Your Face Is Pretty Much Uk,Europe, & World Known :/

Also People Suffering From Moderate – Servere Clinical Depression,Anxiety/Panick-Attacks, Bipolar Disorder, & Other Mental Health Illnesses/Problems Can’t Always, Deal,Cope, Manage With Normal Day To Day Life Activities Or Life In General & Saying No Won’t Be Easy Or In Your State Of Mind,

&

Suicidal Thoughts & Attempts Enter Your Brain/Mind/Body & Soul :/

1. Completely off-topic and an admittedly trivial point, but if you stuck to the convention of starting a word with a capital letter only at the beginning of a sentence your posts would seem a lot less weird.

1. LOL! Go Rehan!

3. Leave Steven Fry alone, he’s a man who’s got mental aliments talking frankly about his life so people can relate more and understand. No isn’t so easy when you have no good reason and the demands just never stop. .

1. He’s taking the p1ss. Some people who are bipolar do not take suicide as lightly as he does. Its not a joke but he seems to think so. I can see why he is depressed if you ever watch QI he’s not as smart as he thinks

1. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 2 Jun 2011, 3:03pm

Some People’s Way Of Coping With Suicidal Thoughts,Attempts, & Mental Health Illnesses/Problems & Lives General Lifes Struggles,

Is To Try To Ignore It Or Joke/Smile About It & That Only Last So Long & Then You Break Down & Slight Your Wrist/s & Take Over 40 Painkillers.

His Not Taking The Piss Out Of Suicide Or Mocking It Or Making Out Its A Light Subject.

2. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 2 Jun 2011, 3:07pm

I Doubt Stephen Fry’s Ever Made Out His Smarter Than You Think His Coming Across,

He Even Has Pointed Out On QI That He Doesn’t Always Know Everything.

&

What’s Wrong With Also Having A Thrust For History,Art, & Knowledge :/

3. Did someone slip you a bitter pill when you were not looking?

2. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 2 Jun 2011, 3:05pm

Agreed Leave Stephen Fry Alone :)

His Trying To Show & Express His Bipolar Disored & Mental Health Illnesses/Problem, With Not An Ordairy Life Or Life Stlye :/

3. friday jones 3 Jun 2011, 12:11am

Leave Britney– I mean Stephen alone!

4. Mr. Scott Aron John Reynolds 2 Jun 2011, 2:48pm

@PinkNews I’m With @StephenFry Suicide’s Always An Opition :/ I Know Nothing About Fame/Being Famous,But Mental Health Is Also Exhausting :/

I Have Great Respect For Stephen Fry Living Bipolar Disorder, As Its Not easy For The Suffer Or Those Clise To Them & Must Be Made Even Worse Under The Spot Light All The Time :(

My Nanny Ruth’s Had Bipolar Disorder For Over 40 Years & She’s Now In Her Late 60’s & Bipolar Disorder Has Put her At Extreme Risks.

5. A lot of GLBTQ people with mental health problems worry about things like making ends meet, keeping a roof over their heads and not falling victim to cruelty or predation. They have stories that we should be relating to and trying to understand.

While I understand bipolar disorder (and have been in the system for many years myself, with something a little different) I find it very hard to sympathise with a wail over the hardships of “fame”.

Fame by its very nature is the act of inviting people to look at you, judge you for your skills (or lack thereof) and be paid for it. Except you cannot turn it on and off like a tap and people will not stop looking just because you wish them to. I would have thought that was screamingly obvious to anyone but the most naive of children.

And of course, whining about how difficult fame is while giving an interview to a TV show is paradoxical anyway.

6. Well get on with it then Stevo or shut the f–k up. Self-indulgent tw@t. If he’s so sick of fame why doesn’t he get off the Twitter. Its a shame that unknown people suffering with bipolar don’t have the opportunities Fry has. He can traipse across the world to shake off his demons if he wishes- plenty of sufferers can’t find the strength to leave their front rooms. He’s a tool.

1. And you’re clearly a bitter queen.

1. I’m neither bitter nor a queen Daniel, you sad needle-d1cked idiot…..

1. Patrick Lyster-Todd 3 Jun 2011, 1:25pm

… but you obviously are a rather unpleasant human being …

1. yaay, people keep pointing this out to him but it doesn’t seem to be sinking in, @ CMYB please stop judging people on what you perceive is their cock size. It gets a little old, use some imagination in your insults dear

7. Stephen Fry… what an interesting personality.. talented too..

8. Bit mean guys don’t you think. He drew attention to Bi-Polar disorder a couple of years ago in an interview he did and has done a lot to make it more understood by those that don’t have it. He is saying he is feeling exhausted and would you not be, give him a break he’s just saying what he thinks its not his fault the entire world wants to listen.

1. GayWebHosting 8 Jun 2011, 8:20pm

Quite! I see we have the usual suspects coming out of the woodwork again. Tired bitter twisted cynical queens..

My old mother used to say “If you can’t find anything GOOD to say about someone, then say nothing at all” They would be well advised to follow this advice.

It’s often said that gay people are their own worst enemies. Sadly this appears to be true whenever I read these comments.. Sick twisted individuals who could not give a toss for anyone or anything else but their own sad little disco-bunny lives.

Lets get a little P.E.R.S.P..E.C.T.I.V.E eh guys?

How can we expect or demand respect and understanding from everyone else, when we cannot even show it to ourselves?

9. I can see where he’s coming from, in regards to his feelings on fame. It takes am emotional toll on you after a few years, because you end up with the feeling that anyone who decides to walk up and shake your hand only wants to say they met someone famous, not that they shook the hand of this very interesting human being. Not all treatments work for everyone. Even someone who thinks they’re doing fine may one day hit a breaking point they weren’t aware of, and end up on the business end of their own shotgun. (I find the crossword puzzle bit amusing, but not farfetched. My mother’s late friend did similar things in the process of snorting up his kids’ inheritance.)

10. I sometimes find it difficult to work out what the gay link is in some of these PN artilces …is the gay link simply that he is gay and the story itself has nothing to do with being gay?

11. Stephen Fry is a good person. I wish people would stop having a go at him. He’s a decent chap.

12. Jeeves will come up with a brilliant solution to this problem as he always does and it will all work out perfectly in the end.

13. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 4:32pm

I’ve read some of the comments about Stephen and am too angry to read any more.

I live with bi-polar on a day-to-day basis and it’s far from easy; there is the bi-polar itself where you can be ‘naturally’ high as a kite, only to burst into tears the next – and both for no reason.

There are also the ‘side-effects’ of medication to ‘counter’ this – increased appetite – sleep disorders – paranoia – the list goes on.

What enrages me is people going on about his duty to put up and shut up; I’ve marvelled at his stance for years. Because he’s in the public eye he is such an embassador to Mental-Health issues and the complacancy that so many on here are showing – he can do so much more from the public arean than so many other pen-pusher. I can only applaud his stature – if he reads this, he’s been an inspiration to me from afar for so long ;o]

And for the record a couple of years ago 1 in 4 people had Mental Health issues BUT 2 in 5 of our so called Inclusive Community were amongst those.

1. Also, it can never be repeated enough that clinical depression is basically a chemical imbalance in the brain… and it too can lead to suicide…

But frankly, we are living in such confusing times that I can also be a wee bit skeptical when reading headlines… can’t you?

I’ve heard it said that when all is said and done, a conflict of ideas generally stimulates growth…

1. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 5:18pm

We live in a democracy, yes. Opinions are what shape all of us into the people we are. BUT negativity without understanding or compassion – I’m right you’re wrong shut up – doesn’t rest with me.

Words (as Mr Fry will agree) are often meaningless. So often someone will say ‘I’m really depressed today’. What does that mean? Words have lost all validity in life because they forget to think what they’re saying. Depression is a chemical imbalance. It’s essentially physiological (I may be wrong?) You can’t control that, and you’re certainly not to blame. However, it can be triggered – which may have been what happened in Stephen’s case (ie Cell Mates)

And again, saying ‘I understand how you feel…’ How does anyone know anyone else’s capacity to deal with something like this? – That’s ‘tosh!’ Suicide ‘is’ an option or Shakespeare got it a bit wrong with Hamlet…

2. Mike, I agree. Mental health issues are too easily dismissed as histrionics, or attention seeking, or worse, pushed aside from consideration. I suppose its too easy to abuse someone on an internet site while anonymous. We have a long way to go before mental health issues become something you attend to as you would a physical health issue – at least in most people’s mind, alas.

1. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 6:31pm

A lot of Mentally-ill people are anonymous – they often follow very meaningful and challenging lives. What Mr Fry has done is challenge the complacancy towards Mental-illness and effectively given it a face. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to do that – not least because he juggles it with public noteriety. He didn’t have to tell anyone and no one would have known because you Patient-confidentiality (a very complex minefield)

And just to show how that works: a professional footballer (sorry, I’m gay and don’t follow it) told the press he was suffering from cancer rather than admit to being clinically depressed – his fans rallied to send him for Private treatment in America.

Mental Health has to be demystified – go for it Stephen x

2. A lot of wisdom there. Well said Will.

For what it is worth – some of what Mr Fry says/does I find infuriating but he is an amazing character who on the whole I admire. Like many great people of the past, his mental health problem has helped to keep alight the flame of genius. I hope he can find peace!

And, after all, anyone who understands and loves Test Match Special and the Archers as Mr Fry does can’t be all bad :-)

14. Spanner1960 2 Jun 2011, 6:55pm

If the man finds being in the public spotlight so tortuous, why doesn’t he just get a job flipping burgers or driving a cab like the rest of us?

He chooses to be a media luvvie, do the TV and film thing, yet denigrates it all when the results of his fame fly back in his face.

1. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 7:04pm

So Mentally-ill people have no real option but to hide behind an ill-fitting uniform with an equally ill-fitting plastic smile – the thrust of the interview (as I imagine) will be about juggling the two: the stresses of noteriety and their relationship to extremes of Mental angst – which – as I say above is pretty much a Herculean ‘job’ in itself

…and being as he’s damn clever, following in the steps of so many other post-graduates, I think your advice is pretty meagre.

1. Mike- damn clever? By who’s standards? He’s written and spoken about as if he’s a genius but to be fair there ain’t much competition in the intellectual stakes on tv these days.

1. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 7:30pm

Aren’t we forgetting he’s a Cambridge Graduate?

1. And that means what precisely? That he, like other “Oxbdrige graduates” is the abnormal product of an elitist education resulting in a funnelled view of the real world? Is that what you mean?

2. There’s Sandi Toksvig.

2. Absolutely Spanner. He flounced off to Belgium after some negative reviews over some ropey play he appeared in back in the 90s. People on here seem to think we can’t be critical of someone simply because they have a mental illness, he chooses to live his life VERY publicly and feeds off the attention his Twittering generates ergo as members of the public we should feel entitled to respond to his very public gestures and comments, to not do so simply because he has an illness is patronising and it demeans everyone who is afflicted by mental illness. The majority of comments on here suggest he should be above reproach simply because he’s bipolar- that treats him and other sufferers as if they were children.

1. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 7:36pm

I don’t hear anyone berating Jennifer Saunders, Spike Milligan, Ruby Wax or Julian Clarey? So what’s the fascination with Stephen Fry? He’s alerting Public awareness to issues that go unheard because people ARE prejudiced (and don’t anyone try and convince me that isn’t rife) If Mr Fry is up for Public execution I’ll gladly stand beside him – but I’m not exactly media fodder, am I?

And all I can hear is the wheels of a typically British Bandwaggon…

1. friday jones 3 Jun 2011, 12:13am

Maybe because none of those people were in the papers just last week waxing eloquently about women’s sexuality as if he had a clue. Or seen hanging around Lady Gaga, “touching the hem of her cloak of fame” as it were….

Guy’s an attention whore who then says attention might just make him kill himself some day. WAH! WAH! WAH!

15. Jezzer uk 2 Jun 2011, 8:06pm

Im sorry but stephen fry really does little to help people suffering from addiction and disorders.
    Smug comments like being an addict helped him do crosswords, and raking it in for doing adverts because they are fun, despite hating attention.
    Speaking as an ex addict i think he really should learn to keep his mouth shut to the media and direct those comments to “professionals”

1. Mike Smith 2 Jun 2011, 8:24pm

I sympathise with your argument but bi-polar and addictive personality traits go hand in hand. As I’m sure the interview will touch on, we all know the media pounce on any misdemenours and blow them out of proportion. It’s about selling copy at the end of the day.

I’m not saying he didn’t make the remark, but the context is always an important element that is often forgotten – (it’s also the case that bi-polar makes you come out with some pretty rash and stupid things that are often difficult to retract) – I know from experience; ‘many a true word spoken in jest…’

1. Jezzer uk 2 Jun 2011, 9:50pm

Fair comments Mike. I do feel for stephen, but sometimes, maybe through jelousy ,i resent that stars could get any help they want by doing a few ads, or voiceovers, us mere mortals have to struggle to get the same. He will never escape from the public eye with such random and insensitive comments.. Your right about words spoken in jest. Tears of a clown :-(

2. One thing about people in recovery they seem to think they know it all. Each addiction is different you’re and expert in you own but no one elses so get off you’re high horse

16. I think it’s a shame Stephen Fry hasn’t learnt how to make remarks in public that won’t be misunderstood and make him sound like a right prat.
    I have only moderate sympathy for his apparent moans about his ‘celebrity’. If he really wanted to opt out of the fame game and live in the country, why doesn’t he? And if he’s too recognisable in England, I bet there’d be places not all that far away where people won’t have a clue who he is.

17. I know how he feels.

1. Matthew, when there is something negative in your life, you need to go and do something positive for someone or for many people to overcome the negativness. Try it it really works :-)

1. Being on the Autism Spectrum does not make that easy

18. Rich (original) 3 Jun 2011, 1:39am

No, Stephen, NO! Don’t kill yourself! You need to study Islam, reject your homosexuality and become Muslim, and teach homosexuals to recover from their terrible abnormality, and then to marry and continue life in perfectly correct mode of life in accourdance with Allah’s Order form Mankind!

1. Remarkable improvement in English AGAIN, there Rich.

Did you like that a lot of your lunatic and fraud comments earlier were removed?

I did.

2. I say Jeeves there’s a rather dirty, scruffy, radicalised fundamentalist in the foyer, get rid of him dear boy as I’m expecting Mother to arrive for tea in about 10 minutes and if he’s still lurking there when she arrives she is likely to have a go at him with her brolly.

3. Go fcuk a goat bitch

19. Suicide is not an option!! Although I like Stephen Fry a lot, I feel he needs to pull himslef towards himself and go on holiday somewhere if the fame he has is too much. He is an intelligent man but I think that he is not a good role model for younger gays and this he needs to seriously coinsider. With fame comes responsibility and to say that suicide is an option is totally irresponsible. There are too many gay suicides particularly amoung young gays and this must stop now. If Mr Fry thought less about himself and more about improving the lot of other people in the LGBT Community, particularly younger gays, he would feel a lot better about life.
    Come on, Stephen Fry, you have the audience and you have the words use them to do some real good in the world, you will be surprised how theraputic that is.

1. Suicide not an option?? I wonder if we would agree with that if we were terminally ill, fearing the pain, the loss of human dignity, abandonment and isolation.

20. Attention seeking idiot.

We all have problems but we don’t all use the press to tell everyone at great length what they are. What an idiot.

Anyone who talks about suicide won’t do it. It is those who keep it inside who might actually do it. Speaking about it as he does is just attention seeking.

21. Jock S. Trap 3 Jun 2011, 9:28am

Always sad words to hear but understand what he is saying.
    He is I suppose a victim of his own success.
    We live in an age where the older you get the more dispensible you seem to be so on one hand he should feel lucky to have the work, though he is known to be a workaholic anyway but on the other say no too many times and that work dries up.
    I have to say I have always felt his efforts on HIV have been naive at best but he has done a terrific job of getting the difficult subject of Mental Health out their.
    The trouble with things like Bipolar is you have to keep busy, it’s to stop you thinking anything about yourself as much as possible.
    Such a talented man should be proud of his successes but probably will sadly never see it.

22. “When asked when he first acknowledged his sexuality, Fry quipped:
    “I suppose it all began when I came out of the womb. I looked back up at my mother and thought to myself, ‘That’s the last time I’m going up one of those.’

23. Gay Daily Mail Reader 3 Jun 2011, 11:15am

Sorry Steve but you got to face up to life in the real world. For a start you walked out on your production of ‘Cell Mates’ because it received less than favourable reviews. How many of us wish to walk out of our jobs because we are not appreciated by our bosses – how you YOU cope if you had to do a proper job! Secondly if fame is stressing you out just retire somewhere private and enjoy your money. Suicide is not an option.

24. Mike Smith 3 Jun 2011, 12:19pm

re: Suicide as attention seeking

FACT – A very high proportion of ALL men with bi-polar commit suicide beforte their 40th Birthday. You can’t dispute facts like this. Suicide is a recognised consequence of bi-polar – FACT. Talking about it candidly takes a lot of guts – and again, I speak from experience.

1. Are you saying that we should reconsider assisted suicide then?

25. Eddy - from 2007 3 Jun 2011, 2:07pm

I see that this story has been repeated in newspapers all over the fcuking world.
    Stephen Fry speaks such crap!
    If he really doesn’t like attention, he could go and live in the country like a lord and make his pork pies, for he has a pile of money with which to do so.
    And as for myself, I have absolutely NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to touch his bloody hem, and, yes, if I saw him, I would be tempted to slap him, though of course doing so would only enable him to squeal, get me put in the slammer, and let him feel even sorrier for his poor little self.

26. He’s made enough money to retire from the public eye so why doesn’t he? No one forces him to keep tweeting or appearing in public.

1. How would retiring to the country cure his bi-polar condition?

If anything the lack of activity would probably worsen his condition… and having money does not cure an incurable mental health problem either, does it?

1. In fairness, jonpol, Fry’s quoted as saying he’d “love to close down for a number of years in some way and just be in the country making pork pies and chutneys.”
        I don’t think it’s particularly unfair to wonder what’s stopping him from doing so, do you?

1. Right on.. and you must know that Fry would not be at peace in the country any more than he is in the spotlight… and just because he said it does not make it so.

Fact is, the only way he could ‘close down’ would be a prolonged sleep therapy.. but he would wake up to his bi-polar disorder, wouldn’t he? Then suicidal thoughts would return…

I should add that I’m taking it for granted that the combination of fame and a mental disorder has led to his exhaustion.. but I do not consider myself an expert here.

Honestly – and I may be dead wrong – I believe Fry is attempting to open a serious debate on euthanasia rather than attract attention on himself, that’s all.

1. Yeah right 5 Jun 2011, 10:07am

do we have any evidence other than his own whinging that he is bi polar? I think he just needs a bit of healthy exercise in the fresh air and a dose of reality.

His suicide comment is irresponsible because vulnerable people might take him literally.

2. Jock S. Trap 5 Jun 2011, 10:39am

Yeah right, coz it’s that easy.
            Why would someone lie about having Bipolar. It is mentally crippling and is not done to a ‘bit of healthy exercise and a dose of reality’.
            Clearly you know nothing about the condition to make such statements.
            His suicide comment will reach out to many that have this condition and those feelings and relate against the likes of your own lack of reality that leaves mental health patients hurt and feel worthless.

3. But JST, it does sometime seem as though there are people in the public eye (not Fry) who make glib claims of being bipolar or use it as a handle to glamorise, as it were, ADHD or rather more ordinary self-obsession.

2. Jock S. Trap 5 Jun 2011, 10:34am

Fear, Rehan.

1. Fear of what, JST?

2. Jock S. Trap 5 Jun 2011, 10:33am

Because many who have Bipolar and other depressions and mental health issues fear being alone – hence the feeling of suicide.
      Retiring is probably what would trigger this feeling.

27. Roger Melly 4 Jun 2011, 1:08pm

Man goes on telly to complain about being on telly, film at 11.

1. He is a tad more interesting than that, but please post a comment after the show.

28. burningworm 6 Jun 2011, 2:55am

Why should i care if one day he doesn’t.

The work isn’t over and if he can no longer take the bastion of his position he should step aside. It is hard beyond my imagining but the work isn’t completed and as a classed celeb gay he should know that the example of aiming for the stars is an obsolete concept when a single person of no specific name or time can bring on the marching of 100,000 people.

So here is to all of the movements that we know about and those we do not know about.

To the future that is equal and not merely another illusion of inclusion.

1. Could you re-phrase that please?