Courtney Love: Lady Gaga is a ‘sexless Barbie Doll surrounded by gays’ as Gaga poses with Stephen Fry

1. Stephen Fry has hitched his wagon to the Gaga star, and why not; two oversized narcissistic egos convinced that whatever sh1te they write on Twitter will be lapped up and digested by their followers. Its enough to make one join a closed order.

1. Would you really say they’re more talentless and narcissistic than Courtney Love?

1. I reckon Courtney has a modicum more talent, or at least she did 10 years ago during the whole grunge/riot grrls movement. What Gaga is doing is no different to when Cobain, Courtney et al aligned themselves with disillusioned marginalised alienated youth- its the foundation of rock music really. Gaga is just the poor man’s version of all that. She exists primarily cause the ‘youth’ of today have access to Youtube. And as for Fry- he comes across an an embarrassing elderly gay uncle who wants to keep his hand in with contemporary popular culture. I loved Fry during his Jeeves era but now he’s just become so precious and feels this need to be loved by everyone. Its cringeful.

1. What are you going on about? Been taking that bitter pill again? What is it with you and gaga? Did you go for an audition as a dancer and she didn’t take you on or something? It’s kinda sad tbh.

As for courtney. I worked with her once, she was nlce to me, but she’s the most talentless egotistical vile bltch (who lives off her ex husbands money) i’ve ever had the misfortune of meeting. Everyone on the show thought she was embarrassing. Some people you don’t mind being a diva, but not that skanky smackhead.

1. LMAO Eddy, you worked with Courtney and she was nice to you but she’s the most vile b1tch you’ve met? Doesn’t say much for you then. Kindred spirits perhaps?

2. CMYB, maybe you and others here don’t connect with Gaga because you’re getting too old and grumpy, poor old dears.

As for anything pre-1990 and you’ve lost most young people who weren’t born yet, though I think maybe Gaga is about 25.

1. Well if 32 is old in your eyes I guess I am. I think plenty of people younger than me have made the Lady Gaga Madonna connection and Madge surely had a career pre 1990 Pavlos?

1. Yeah, I would think Like a Virgin must have been about ’84-’85 so a bit before Gaga was born anyway.

2. For a 32yo you do sound a bit grumpy-old-man (it’s putting youth in inverted commas that did it), I thought that role was more my line!

1. I was using the term youth in inverted commas to highlight that chart music is predominantly aimed at teens and the twentysomethings. Apologies if I appear old before my time. I always made my own listening choices musically and refuse to be drip fed whatever happens to hit the top 10. You sheep go listen to what you’re told to or expect to be told to like.

2. chart music is predominantly aimed at teens and the twentysomethings
            Hasn’t it always been?
            (I wouldn’t dare tell you my tastes in music, you’d think me 100, or more likely 200.)

3. Please. Courtney Love’s entire hustle has been about getting the attention of straight men since she hit puberty.

Who the hell is going to listen to a drunk, plastically-altered cerebrally challenged, drug-induced narcissist whose own daughter can barely stand her? Courtney Love has no room to squeal and should basically shut her cakeHole. Both ends. Lady Gaga is streets ahead of Love and I’m not even a major fan.

4. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:13pm

@CMYB…
      “Its enough to make one join a closed order.”…..
      Oh please please do and the sooner the better for all of us…..!

2. Once again Pink News puts the most inflammatory spin possible on what’s being said – which seems to be some fairly hard nosed stuff about longevity in pop. And I kind of know what Courtney Love means – it’s like LG’s telescoped the looks and restylings that Madonna spun out over decades into about two years. When you’ve worn every conceivable kind of meat dress, what’s left to balance your enjoyable-but-not-earth-shattering pop on?

Yes, Love’s plainly not going to win an award for PC self-expression, but she doesn’t sound like she has any fundamental objection to either gay men (“I was raised by gays myself”) or Lady Gaga (‘very young and very talented’).

Nothing to get into a flap about here.

1. That meat dress was an idea by ‘done’ by Jana Sterbak back in the 80s but don’t tell Gaga’s fans that, they wouldn’t believe you anyway cause nothing pre 2005 exists for them. As for the latest Gaga wearing horns and lumps on her face- the french artist Orlan has been doing that for donkey’s years, but unlike Gaga Orlan actually has the balls to surgically alter her face and insert all those lumps and bones into her face. Gaga is so transparently p1ss poor I wish Pink News wouldn’t feel the compulsion to continually report on every f@rt she makes.

1. Lady Gaga is a genius CFMYB, it’s that simple.

1. Are you’re a sheep. Where is the genius in regurgitating the work and idea of others Pavlos?

1. Lene lovich, nina hagen, danielle dax even Gwar and of course madonna , all being badly ripped off and plagerised by gaga , so definitely very unoriginal. However listening to the appaling lack of music right now , its no wonder she’s considered a genius.

2. Genius is hard to defineas is beauty, but like beauty genius always makes itself so obvious.

3. Spanner1960 29 May 2011, 8:38am

Call it “influence”, “plagiarising”, “copying” or just plain “ripping-off”, nothing is really original any more, as everything’s already been done.

Don’t blame people for that, that’s just the way it is. Musically, there are only 12 semitones to an octave so what’s the chances you come up with something new?

4. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:15pm

@cmyb….
            ……who done “Born this way” before?

3. I am just sick and tired of seeing Gaga every freakin’ time I turn around. Do the words ‘over exposure’ mean anything to her? And I hate her preaching – she has turned herself into the self-proclaimed Messiah for the disenfranchised. How the he11 does she know it all – or think she does? She’s a young artist who has found her gimmick and is going to milk it for everything she can. Not to mention all of her music is starting to sound alike (or like someone else’s).

4. Well at least GaGa didnt kill Kurt cobain.

1. Are you suggesting C’C’C’Courtney Love s’s’s’s’shot Kurt Cobain?

1. It doesn’t matter if she shot him or not. I’d blow my brains out if I lived with that annoying woman.

1. You worked with her you tw@t and you didn’t finish yourself off when you had the chance- for all our sakes. Or are you just some washed up fantasist who once shared an elevator with one of Courtney’s dealers?

1. No trust me, I spent a week with her, and I felt like blowing my brains out (as did everyone else). She was the most annoying celebrity I’ve ever worked with (and I’ve worked with a lot). The stories I could tell about her.

2. But in the same breath you say you liked her! You’re as unbalanced as she is.

2. Spanner1960 29 May 2011, 8:40am

ROFL@Eddy Two. I bet they are both irritating, attention seeking little bitches anyway.

5. Courney who??

1. Knock! knock!
      Who’s there?
      Courtney
      Courtney who?

1. Paddyswurds 28 May 2011, 11:19pm

Methinks there’s a modicum of jealousy in Mrs Cobains rant. The vilest woman ever to appear on telly. I can’t press the remote fast enough to get her off my screen ……..yeukkk.

1. David Myers 29 May 2011, 9:16am

Wow Paddyswurds I totally agree with you and that is quite uncommon for me. Good on you. Sincerely stated and meant.

6. LAURELIZED 28 May 2011, 4:30pm

Wow, I really can’t believe the hatred for Gaga on this site. She’s a completely kindhearted girl who is fighting for our rights harder than any other celebrity in America. She doesn’t just talk the talk. Even if you don’t like her music and think her fashion choices are questionable, there’s no denying she’s a force for good in the world.

Meanwhile, what Courtney Love has said is so homophobic, ignorant, and offensive it honestly doesn’t matter WHO she said it about. It’s hard to pick one thing she said to zero in on, it’s all so patently disgusting; I think “Straight guys just aren’t into that kind of thing” might take the cake though.

Maybe guys can’t see why this is so inflammatory, but as a lesbian and a feminist, the fact that Love would insinuate that Gaga’s entire life needs to revolve around pleasing heterosexual men is nothing less than enraging. Especially since Gaga is bi.

1. I’d rather listen to Gaga than the bleeding Kings of Leon, can you imagine spending two weeks on holiday with people who play Kings of boring Leon constantly! They’re okay if you’re working in a restaurant kitchen or something.

1. kings of leon are better then gaga

2. LAURELIZED 28 May 2011, 5:32pm

What a random reply.

1. Yeah you’ll get plenty of ‘random’ out of Pavlos, that and trolling.

1. Well that’s an unnecessary comment, I’m hardly a troll you sad old-timer.

3. Well said, Laurelized.

I like Gaga’s music but would love her anyway for her outspoken and unapologetic advocacy of LGBT people. She’s got guts and we should support anyone, gay, straight or bi, who speaks up for us. There are plenty enough haters of us. sometimes the inane bitchiness of this site is depressing.

The kindest thing I can say about Courtney Love’s ‘thoughts’ is that they are confused and seem driven by petty envy.

And to those who don’t like ‘seeing Gaga everywhere’, it’s simple. Switch off your telly and computer occasionally, and get out and do something else. Celebrities are only ‘everywhere’ if you go looking for them.

1. LAURELIZED 30 May 2011, 4:26am

I’ve never understood those who complain about having a certain person or trend shoved in their faces all the time. I find myself perfectly capable of ignoring trends I don’t like—sure, I might hear about them every once in a while, but not nearly enough to annoy me (unless said person or trend is perpetuating bigotry or social ignorance in some way). All these people who seek out posts and videos about things they hate… I’ll never understand it.

2. Well Gaga is always wittering on about finding love etc etc. She does have male ‘love interests’ in her videos that she relates to and these guys do serve the function of lover/would be lover/jilted lover in her videos so she is pandering to heterosexual males in that she shows a sexual/romantic interest in them. Its freakin’ everywhere in her work.

1. The above in response to Laurelized’s initial post.

2. Sorry to be short with you, but I find this to be just as random a reply as Pavlos’. Which part of my comment, exactly, are you attempting to discuss? The fact that Love believes Gaga should exist to please straight men? Because if you’re trying to say you agree with that, in *any* fashion, I have absolutely no time for you.

1. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:22pm

@Laurelized…
          ….Ignore cmyb…He is just a sad lonely old queen who constantly whinges about other peeps comments and thinks PN is online solely for his benefit and the rest of us should just go away.

3. I don’t think being interested in a guy or having sexual interest in men can be considered “pandering to heterosexuals.” I think laurelized was getting at the point Courtney Love made about how if she is going to continue her career she needs the support of heterosexual males, and that her sense of style alienates them. Her comment implies Gaga needs to tone it down to appease heterosexual males. A sentiment I strongly disagree with.

1. Yes, exactly, and Love insinuated this not just about her career but about her personal life, saying that if Gaga didn’t stop with the “meat-dress act,” she would end up as “a lonely drag-queen.” Aside from being sexist and homophobic, it also implies that all straight men are attracted to the same aesthetic, an oppressive myth which has undermined both genders since the beginning of civilization.

The best part is that Gaga is already 100% aware of all this. One of my favorite quotes from her came from her interview in Maxim: “I’m not trying to make your dick hard the way other girls are. I’m trying to teach your dick to get hard when it looks at other things. I love … [playing] with gender, with what ‘sexy’ means.”

7. FloridaHank 28 May 2011, 4:40pm

Gaga is like a “fart in a windstorm” and
    she’ll be long gone in a couple of years
    when somebody with real talent comes
    along for the younger crowd.

1. Forget talent, who wants talent?Genius is what we want.
      Talent is what you find on daft shows like Pop Idol etc…tons of talent there doing their Karaoke tunes…it’s common.

1. Jeez you are an idiot Pavlos. I assume you’re about 18 and a skinny twink and your life revolves around Glee and Lady Gaga and waiting for a boyfriend to materialise who’ll love you and Gaga. Would you say Elvis was talented or a genius? Or have you even heard of him? Cause from what you say you can only be one or the other.

1. Elvis?…how’s that for random!
          Elvis was really handsome and hot when he was young and hungry, I think it was that rather than special genius or talent, he didn’t write his own material but he had an urgent sexual charisma that appealed to both boys and girls plus he had great promotion (for those days).
          Being in the army straightened him out and ruined Elvis..
          Maybe Gaga should join the army and …. would that please you CMYB?

1. I chose Elvis as an example of a performer who could be considered both talented and a genius- not very random if you actually think about it and he’s a guy who kick started using persona/image etc alongside ones singing abilities. Just like Bowie. Your post suggested genius was more important than talent- plenty of performers have both.

2. Elvis took fashion tips from the fabulous Liberace…I think that’s when it all went wrong (or right depending on who you are), those awful joke jewel studded catsuits etc.horrible.
            I see a lot of the lost and forgotten but later rediscovered french artist, writer, photographer etc. Claude Cahun in Lady Gaga, you may be familiar with Claude Cahun otherwise check her out.

3. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:27pm

@CMYB….
            ….just exactly what was Elvis Presley’s genius?. He could just about sing, period. He couldn’t act his way out of a paper bag and he couldn’t write songs to save his life and finally ended that same life as a drug addled hulk and died on the fcukin toilet. Much the same as Mrs Cobains life to date. Genius??….pffft!

2. David Myers 29 May 2011, 9:20am

CMYB – you are sounding more and more like a bitter old queen. Gaga has done more standing up for gay and lesbian rights than almost any other celebrety. Wake up and get some perspective. PS I am sixty-four and I greatly appreciate not only her efforts but also her stype and theatricality. She is talented and that will remain true no matter who much you protest.

8. burningworm 28 May 2011, 5:01pm

There is a point to be made about Gaga as a barbie doll. It is also true for someone like Andrej Pejic. Women tend to either lose identity or gain it in the face of a male onlooker.

9. No female friends? Courtney, have you forgotton about Lady Starlight, Gaga’s BEST friend. Courtney’s a washed up hack.

1. LAURELIZED 28 May 2011, 5:33pm

My thoughts exactly. I was going to mention Starlight but ran out of room in my comment.

10. Must admit. Lady Gaga is a bit ‘in your face’… most of the time. Granted yes, she might be seen as a ‘popular icon’ in some quarters, but when all radio stations play he tunes more or less constantly, it gets a bit annoying. I don’t need to listen to Bad Romance 4 times a day. Which explains why I hardly listen to radio.

11. Speaking as an older gay man, young minded, but in gay years really old, LOL, and also an internationally published photographer and writer…Someone who has seen a truckload of talent up close and personal. Well, I think Lady Gaga is just wonderful. All the never will be, never was, and/or has beens can criticize her all they want, they will only make this talented lady even more popular than she already is.

1. Meh. Speaking as a young gay man but mature independent minded internationally exhibited and published artist and writer I find your comments simply b0llocks Matthew. As for the ‘never will be’s’ or ‘never was’s’- they’re as entitled to voice their opinion on Gaga as much as you. It is they after all who buy the music, subscribe to the websites, read the magazines etc, if they just happen to hold the opposite view to you that’s their prerogative. BTW you don’t have to be ‘internationally’ anything to listen to music and have an opinion on it.

1. To voice an opinion is one thing CMYB, trying to convince others you are right is pathetic. There is no such a thing as 100% consent on anything, From Jesus to Gaga people fight for rightness because of their own insecurity. Including me of course. If you would voice your opinion you’d write thing once twice and not repeat it time and time over.
        In general I respect people that support not shame ans slag off whoever they happen not to agree with because they remind them of their own inadequacy.
        That is how all wars begin…hording of thoughts and a possessive mama nagging in a background. And a small knob helps. Let us all get a bit of life and do something worthwhile. Lady could be our role model…doing what she loves, voicing her mind and earning sh1t loads of money. Bless her.

2. Cheers matthew. Nice to see some positivity.

3. You know what you are talking about matthew, I think Lady Gaga is wonderful too and I respect your opinion.

12. Tom Stoppard 28 May 2011, 5:39pm

Courtney Love comes across as bitter and jealous, and the comment: “I was raised by gay guys – I turned out all right in the end” come across as homophobic. Exactly the sort of thing you’d expect some right-wing religious nut to say in order to justify not allowing gay pepole adopt.

1. But she did’nt turn out ok in the end, just a junkie. She sounds like a jealous old has been anyhow and i’m not a fan of gaga.

2. I can’t believe people are spending so much time slinging random insults at Gaga while completely ignoring Love’s horribly offensive statements. Doesn’t anyone here have any sense of self-worth or respect? Or are we just so used to hearing these awful things that it doesn’t even register anymore? Either way I find it heartbreaking…

1. Laurelized, the laugh is on them, as Gaga is a major star and is doing way, way more for the acceptance of LGBT people than the never-was’s on here. They are annoying but they don’t really matter.

1. LAURELIZED 30 May 2011, 4:19am

Too true, Robert, too true… I hope she and many others can help us form a world where we aren’t all so hardened by thoughtless bigotry that we ignore it in favor of brainless fan wars on the internet.

13. SSOB Courtney Love.Who the heck cares what you think.God knows what kind of creature you’d have turned out like without Gay influences.

14. Who the heck is Courtney Love anyway and what is the purpose of the article?
    Load of old cobblers to me.

15. Rich (original) 28 May 2011, 10:12pm

Stephen Fry admires false, that’s the reason why he poses together bitchy “gaga-ga”.

1. Yeah, it should have been you Rich…guess you’ll just have to up your profile a bit sweetheart.

2. Bitch rich, more like. Knickers caught in your burka, are they?

16. no wonder cobain wanted out.

17. Jock S. Trap 29 May 2011, 9:01am

Mmmm, when was the last time Courtney was getting any media attention me wonders?

18. David Myers 29 May 2011, 9:05am

Courtney is a washed up has been with Gaga envy. Her irrelevance is not worth any further comments.

19. Wow talk about trying to drag your sorry sel into the spotlight for 15 mins.

Courtney love is a disgrace and a failure of a human being. I would never say she had anything to do with jury’s death but some people do, all she has done though his spend his money on drugs and clothes costing thousands and thousands at a time.

I remember seeing it in a documentary about cobain once. She is a total leech living off her late husbands success in a disgraceful way and to say these things about gaga is pot kettle and black

Gaga yes a little in your face and some times I feel she’s a little not all there lol but is a nice person who supports us and is voted te most powerful woman in the world. Or summat like that. As for se and friends, go to one her gigs I’m sure many of her monsters would love to be her friend and many who would happily sleep with her.

You don’t have to like gaga or her music but you should respect what she does for us.

1. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:31pm

@Adam88…
      ….Hear, Hear!

20. She’s only a young lass and she is doing good so give her a break! x

21. Regardless of individual preference, Lady Gaga has clearly got a showmanship and talent that is appreciated by millions. Unsurprising given who she says is her biggest influence.
    Musical preference is an individual choice, and it wouldn’t do for us to all like the same now would it. Ben Elton’s musical (We Will Rock You) said more about having musical taste and individuality than anything.
    And as for her liking gay guys – again individual preference. Lets start celebrating individuality rather than criticising it.

22. You are so clueless if you’re offended by these statements. Courtney is a feminist ICON and has fought for gay rights since Gaga was a little kid. She is always honest and doesn’t care to be politically correct. Courtney has empowered young, alienated teens in the 90’s who could connect with the message in the music of Courtney’s band Hole. Gaga may care about her fans or she may not…. Ever think that she pursues a group of people in order to build a fan base? Ever think that Gaga says the things so that you will buy her music? What makes you think she is so sincere? She is a beautiful girl, in her High School photos she was surrounded by friends and family. Anyone can say they were bullied in order to connect with all of the impressionable kids across the world who are desperate to have someone in their life that they can look up to and relate to. Courtney is SO SINCERE. Her music intimidated some people and empowered others. She would never lie in order to get fans. She is sincere.

1. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:43pm

@life…….
      ………Are you talking about Courtney Cobain? Cause if you are you must be on something very strong. The woman is and always has been a joke. The late Curt Cobain killed himself (supposedly), just to get away from her. The woman is a vile excuse for a human being and has all the talent of an amoeba…….
      And while one appreciates Gagas talent I am not a fan, a bit too in your face for my taste and age…….

23. Courtney was kidding around. Gaga’s fans GENUINELY SCARE ME, you take things SO SERIOUSLY and are SO MEAN to people for saying what they think. If anyone says something that you disagree with… not something to be taken seriously… you guys tell them they are “A DISGRACE AND A FAILURE OF A HUMAN BEING.” YOU GUYS ALL JOIN TOGETHER AND YOU ARE ALL BULLIES. ALL OF YOU ARE BULLIES AND YOU MAKE JUDGEMENTS WITHOUT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT COURTNEY HAS GIVEN TO THE WORLD. She is one of the most influential women in pop culture and she has voiced her feminist ideals and has fought for gun control and gay rights by speaking publicly at events and in the 90’s she used every opportunity to speak her mind and she had a following of millions of girls and boys who could connect with the music of HOLE. Go watch Hole videos on youtube. You can’t take everything a person says so seriously.

This is Courtney in the PRIME OF HER CAREER:

1. Leave Britney Alone!

2. Paddyswurds 29 May 2011, 9:52pm

@life…
      ….is there really any need for the awful shouting?. You are giving me a headache. Courtney Cobain never had a career. She hung on the coat tails of the tragic and talented Curt Cobain, who she drove to suicide. This drug addled smackhead is and always was a vile excuse for a human being and anyone who says or thinks she has or ever had talent is fooling themselves. Being shockingly controversial is hardly a talent…….just boorish ignorance.

3. LAURELIZED 30 May 2011, 4:11am

If Love really cared about LGBT people, she wouldn’t talk about us like that. I don’t care /who/ she’s discussing in this article, it could be Gaga or Britney Spears or Katy Perry or Barbra Streisand; I also don’t care about how successful Love is or what she may have done in the past. The things she’s saying here are horrible and offensive, and if you can’t see that, you must either be drowning in denial or have a lot of pent-up self-hatred.

4. Your name is “life”, when ironically its the one thing you need to seriously get….

24. You guys are just clueless. Courtney was kidding around in this comment, saying Lady Gaga surrounds herself with gay people and puts no time into dating. Lady Gaga has even said it herself, that she doesn’t have a love life. It’s really not a big deal. God forbid someone talked about gay people normally… god forbid not everything was so PC, treating gay people like they have some sort of disability. You’re allowed to joke around without people wishing you death. The overreactions are just embarrassing and the hatred is SO unnecessary. You guys really are bullies.

Courtney was ugly when she was a teenager! She had a big nose and people would make fun of her and it wasn’t until later on in her life that she was in the pages of Vogue, being photographed by Richard Avedon. Her music was all about self-image and insecurities. She never said something just to target a fan base into buying her music. She never lied to get your money. Hole’s early music said more than “just dance.”

1. You make the mistake in assuming we are as obsessed with this tripe as you are. We’re not. Spare us the histrionics, its sad.

25. “I want to be around for 25 years. I admire Madonna and Courtney Love and the way they reinvent themselves and kick ass,” she told the Daily Star. “I want to do that and be even bigger.”

26. David Gervais 30 May 2011, 9:41pm

Remind me again, what’s a Courtney Love?

1. It’s a bit like a Strawberry Mivvy. the thought of it makes many people want to barf while some others apparently can’t get enough.

27. Of course Gaga defends gay rights. The only people who buy her music are gay men and their allies. Each song, like jelly and its mould, is specifically manufactured to appeal to that audience. It’s phenomenally boring. The same could be said of her insipid ‘fashion’ design sweatshop. Gaga fans merely fall exactly into line with her marketing strategy.

28. Chucky-Doll 30 Dec 2011, 6:37pm

I don’t care what anybody says about Lady Gaga. Her dress sense, questionable as it may be, has made her millions. She’s clearly an intelligent woman who can write her own music and market herself well. This being the case, I’m sure she doesn’t care what you or Courtney Love thinks.

Oh, and for the record, I would!