Man jailed for six years over homophobic glassing attack

1. Smitham needs to deal with his alcohol and anger issues in jail where this animal belongs.

2. I think Smitham needs to deal with his alcohol and anger issues and his bigotry somewhere where he has time to contemplate – ah that will be prison then …

3. A bit shocked that he had been drinking at the guys house beforehand. Prison seems like a fair consequence

4. yet again, alcohol plays apart in yet another hate filled assault.

Hopefully the sentence is a deterrent and hopefully Smitham contemplates the errors of his ways.

1. Spanner1960 23 May 2011, 3:43pm

I’ll drink to that.

5. His shamless barrister needn’t fret. He’ll have his love of booze problems solved in the slammer (he won’t be getting any) and hopefull, he’ll get his anger punched, kicked and slashed out of him pretty early on. Everyone gets something; his poor sod of a victim, the animal himself and his apologist barrister.

1. not really the barristers fault… they don’t get a choice in who they defend.

6. You’d think he’d get alcohol issues sorted in prison but what will actually happen is he’ll drink prison hooch like the other inmates do – along with taking whatever substances he can beg, borrow or buy. Not to mention the free room and board

7. Six years in jail seems awfully light, given Smitham’s stated intent to kill the victim, the fact that his acts could well have achieved that result, and the victim has in fact been disfigured.

8. J. R. Braden 23 May 2011, 6:27pm

“22 previous convictions”

At what point do we, as a society, give up on these people and lock them away forever? Everyone deserves a second chance; no one deserves a twenty-second chance.

Also, this is why weed is so much greater than alcohol. No one gets violent on weed, but given enough alcohol you could turn Gandhi into a sadistic killer! So, homos, when you bring someone home and try to get them intoxicated enough to put the moves on, try weed instead! You might just save your face…

1. J. R. Braden i think your comments are incorrect ? That is unlees YOU have experianced this ?
      (when you bring someone home and try to get them intoxicated enough to put the moves on, try weed instead! )

WEED as you put it can and will highten mental health issues !!!

1. Paddyswurds 24 May 2011, 11:08am

@Niall….
        ………and you have research that proves this, do you?.How many people have been murdered or injured by someone under the influence of Marijuana?
        .How many families have been destroyed weekly because of the influennce of weed?
        How many people are admitted to psychiatric hospitals daily because of the influence of pot?
        I think you will find that the figures are miniscule in comparison to “legal” alcohol.
        The whole “pot is bad” thing is propaganda from the Vintners associations and other alcohol interests.
        BTW…. This thug should have gotten 15 years minimum and the charge should have been attempted murder.

2. David Myers 24 May 2011, 10:02am

You seem to be awfully presumptuous about what the motives were and what actually transpired. I would suggest you know nothing of the actions or motivations of either party.

1. Paddyswurds 24 May 2011, 11:17am

@David Myers & others…
        ….if you need to get someone intoxicated in order to “put the moves” on them, don’t bring them home Period. Find someone who fancies you and doesn’t need to be intoxicated in order to bed you. If this was a boy girl situation the girl would be crying rape or some such next day, what makes this different I wonder?

9. I bet they had sex and he “flipped” out.

10. His barrister, Alison Whalley, told the court her client needed to deal with his alcohol and anger issues.

And he will have to deal with a really sore ar$e issue as well hopefully.

1. bearshaped 7 Jul 2011, 12:54pm

This mans punishment is a loss of liberty (not long enough if you ask me) but no one, not even this scumbag, deserves to be raped.

11. I bet this was self defence, as the homo came onto the other guy, and because homos always try it on with everyone, he cried wolf and the police believed him.

I hope this man has a good lawyer and will be out soon.

1. wow talk about generalising where do you get this information because I know I don’t try it on with everyone

2. I bet this was self defence
      ‘Course, because a REAL MAN in his early 40s needs to attack, with broken glass, an elderly person whose hospitality he’s accepted for several hours, doesn’t he?
      I trust his spell in jail will teach him a few manners.

1. Since when has reaching 58 made somebody ‘elderly’?
        Elderly is over 70 these days, or at the very least over 65.
        I think all 58 year olds would be offended to be regarded as ‘elderly’.

1. Yes, maybe you’re right, I should really have written ‘older’. But then what is it, middle-aged? Based on the premise that we’ll all live to over 100 (God forbid!)?
          (It greatly amuses me the way my – younger – friends resist being categorised as middle-aged when they’re 35 or over, even though of course they are.)

3. “and because homos always try it on with everyone”

You’re right James, we do…. in between forcing gay sex on children, “choosing” to be gay to mess with the devoutness of decent god-fearing christians, recruiting others (younger the better) into our club, and trying to enforce secular evolution as part of our “gay lobby” activism…. its all true. Only a mad man would think otherwise.

1. Homos, force their lifestyle choice on people, force pride on people, choose to be gay yes.

If gays want to be equal, why have something that is so different, if you want to be the same, and equal, then behave the same, stop pride, stop shoving your sexuality in the public place and face.

Its very very simple, but as soon as gays are accused of something they instantly shrug blame and blame others, all the time. And yes I have proof.

1. Idiots, force their lifestyle choice on people, force pride on people, choose to be idiots yes.

If idiots want to be equal, why have something that is so different, if you want to be the same, and equal, then behave the same, stop idiot pride, stop shoving your stupidity in the public place and face.

Its very very simple, but as soon as morons are accused of something they instantly shrug blame and blame others, all the time. And yes I have proof.

1. And don’t forget, some idiots eve go – or rather, force themselves onto gay sites to parade their idiocy.

2. I know. I would just die with embarrassment. Wouldn’t you just die with embarrassment, James?

2. Jock S. Trap 24 May 2011, 12:36pm

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, James.
          Yawn.
          Nothing new.
          Bigotry has many faces but spews the same boring rhetoric and wonders why people don’t want to listen.

3. Oh right so, in your clearly deluded mind, gay guys force themselves upon anyone to get what they want? You are deluded, go get some help… Clearly you need a nice tight straitjacket and a padded room and some ‘therapy’ from a burly guard…..

4. You stop treating us like crap and we’ll stop feeling the need to have a place where we can celebrate our lives and who we are without fear of attack of condemnation from those around us.

1. Here here, Charlie!!! So, why not put a sock in it, James.

2. Jock S. Trap 25 May 2011, 4:45pm

Here! Here!

5. bearshaped 7 Jul 2011, 1:00pm

If you stop acting straight in public, stop rubbing my face in your hetrosexuality and start behaving in a civilised manor. Then I may consider what you have to say.

4. How foolish you are James !!!
      Do you have information that this man came on to him ?
      homos always try it on with everyone… Do we ?
      If you read the report ? You will see that the man has been convicted for 6 years … So im not sure the lawyer was that good ?
      Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong

5. Jock S. Trap 24 May 2011, 9:48am

Oh Rich, you change your name but the content remains the same.
      Same sh!t, difference name.

1. Haven’t you got a job to go to ?

1. Have you? Making purses in the mental asylum for the orphans, perhaps? Or does the ward keep you away form sharp objects?

2. Jock S. Trap 24 May 2011, 12:37pm

Don’t really see that having any relevence to you nor the debate.
          Grow up.

6. David Myers 24 May 2011, 10:05am

Please don’t feed the troll regardless of whether he calls himself James, Rich, or any other sniviling rat-faced aliases.

12. Amongst addictive narcotic drugs ONLY alcohol has the ability of turning its users into violent maniacs – yet unlike unlike cocaine, heroin, etc it is perfectly legal, taxed and even lauded by society!!!

1. I’m sorry, I don’t think that can be right – amphetamines and crack cocaine and heroin (or at least the withdrawal symptoms from them) have been known to render some people both violent and maniacal.

2. @Mal

Whilst as a police officer and then as a paramedic most of the violence I have experienced has been alcohol based – I will say the most violent and dangerous person I have been involved with was on amphetamine

1. musclelad23 24 May 2011, 7:59am

True, the only thing I cant get my head round is why mdma is banned. You are more likely to die from choking on peanuts than injesting pure mdma. (ecstasy) It makes you happy, empathetic, understanding and loving – the polar opposite to alcohol. They have studies it for nearly 30 years and there arn’t any long term effects for moderate users – heavy users do experience memory loss though. I remember in the days where you could get it easily people would cue up orderly at the end of the night to get there coats , unlike mainly drunk people you get at chavvy nightclubs who basically need to start a fight on someone so there night is complete. Sadly we will never have a government that will see sense. Stupid really as taxable mdma could really save our ailing economy.

Also – this nasty person deserves to be locked up for a very long time. If you haven’t learnt how to control anger by the age of 22 you are a danger to society.

1. Surely it depends on the imbiber really doesn’t it? I have mates who could drink George Best under the table and not alter them but one sniff of a class A and its time to send them home in a taxi having first removed their shoelaces and anything else they could cause harm to themselves or others with. The twat who got 6 years just couldn’t handle his drink and was a thug to boot, alcohol was used as the excuse for his clearly mental issues.

2. the only thing I cant get my head round is why mdma is banned.
          A little off-topic, but I couldn’t agree with you more there, musclelad23. In 15 happy years of regular clubbing I think I saw one incident that could be described as a brawl, and I think reason for that was that Ecstasy wasn’t involved.

3. bearshaped 7 Jul 2011, 1:04pm

you neglect to mention the common symptom of depression and a high risk of liver damage from mdma.

13. Jock S. Trap 24 May 2011, 9:44am

Out in 3?
    While the victim has to live with this horrific attack for the rest of his life.
    Not a strong enough sentence to send a message.
    Alcohol and anger issues are No excuse.
    Though I hope those get sorted and it goes some way to making him a half decent human being.
    Still think the sentence is a joke.

1. I really dont think strong sentences deter. However the sentence should be longer for retributive reasons.

picky point but ho hum.

2. The sentence is a joke and the only one laughing is Smitham.

3. He will be out in less then 3 years, hopefully.

1. Yawn, James, do try harder to upset us, you’re just being a crushing bore.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 May 2011, 12:40pm

Will.
          Indeed, I would laugh but clearly I’d be putting more effect into that, than has been put in his comment.

14. 22 previous convictions? How long before he’s let out with only a percentage of his sentence served.

1. Six years, serve 4, good behaviour take off six months, agree to anger management courses, take off another 9 months… He’ll probably serve 2 years the most… What with our insane law system we have… more justice for Smitham than anyone else… Biased judge and magistrates if you ask me.

1. Jock S. Trap 25 May 2011, 4:46pm

Yeah, then back inside within a year.