Activists celebrate 7th International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia

1. Dan Littauer 17 May 2011, 10:41am

The article did not mention the big event held by Camden LGBT Forum in UCL bit.ly/mrKlHF nor the ground breaking participation of the FCO in support of IDAHO bit.ly/GME0463 http://bit.ly/mfsCdX and bit.ly/GME0464 . PinkNews either needs to be more careful about its reporting or otherwise people may think it may have some agenda to mention certain issues and not others.

1. Jessica Geen 17 May 2011, 11:35am

Hi Dan,

This is clearly a small selection of events. It would be impossible to mention every single event around the world.

Jess

1. Dan Littauer 17 May 2011, 12:28pm

Jessica how could you miss the FCO seminal intervention? I will send you an email.

Dan

2. And can we guys celebrate it on here by just ignoring whatever ‘Rich’ is going to inevitably write on here. The more we respond the more he sticks around. If we blank him then he’ll defo f–k off elsewhere. I’m bored of his rants and people responding to it and taking the bait.

1. I’ve been saying that for ages. If people respond to that bunch of loons including LU and that other cnut we lose the point.

1. Well lets make today the day! Him, LU, Lila- just ignore them guys. Report their messages as abuse fair enough but don;t respond to their sh1te. They’ll get the picture soon enough when their messages have been removed and no one is entering in to a discussion or debate with them.

3. Wow, I didn’t even know about this IDAHO idea – I’m sure it wasn’t on the normal news.

4. Jock S. Trap 17 May 2011, 11:34am

Somewhat surprised that Rainbow Hamlets and Lutfur Rahman are ‘doing’ an event since both seem to be more For homophobia and transphobia than against.
    Otherwise a worthy event highlighting the problems LGBT people face in the world.
    It’s all too sad that we still hear of such atrocities around the world even though we are in 2011.

5. paul canning 17 May 2011, 1:01pm

The BBC’s report on GaGa editing Metro fails to mention IDAHO at all. #fail

6. As a sex obsessed unemployed straight, I must say it truly saddens me the amount of lesbians that are emerging these days. And they are all usually pretty things as well. I think the time has come from some affirmative action. I think we should ban all single women from the work place so that they will have to join with a man if they want to buy food and pretty shoes.

1. musclelad23 17 May 2011, 1:51pm

lol.

7. Awesome :) I have just been to town and saw a display in our market place (in Bolton) promoting the cause, using boards saying facts like 70% of people who have been attacked because of their sexuality failed to report it to the police. That bit upset me but the display made my day! The photographers from our local paper had arrived to take pictures. Let’s hope that people realise that people are people reguardless of their sexuality. I hope homophobia dies a death and people get accepted for who they are. Great article! Thankyou Jessica :)

8. Some homophobia is good. I am 67 and in my day this was not natural at all, and still is not to this day.

We need some form of homophobia to remind people that their lifestyle choice is not everyones cup of tea and should not be celebrated, encouraged and forced on others.

Doris

1. Jock S. Trap 17 May 2011, 4:50pm

Boring.
      Switch the word ‘homophobia’ for Religion and that would be accurate.
      How people are born is not a choice.
      I will celebrate who I am just to show people like you I am a human being too and just as relevent.
      Whereas people choose a bigoted religious lifestyle, which should Never be celebrated, encouraged and forced on other esp children..

2. Eh? Sorry but didn’t understand this logic at all…..

3. Nice comment Doris, completely without any logic, but hey, nice try. I’d be less worried about “your day” and more worried about your ignorant comments in “this day”.

9. michael, liverpool 17 May 2011, 4:51pm

Some posters on these threads are some kind of wind ups Doris anybody?! Re: the article, I think it’s a bit unfair to mention Manchester and omit the other major cities in the UK, for instance Liverpool where I live and which celebrates IDAHO every year. London is the capital so that’s fair enough, but Manchester has had its fair share of attention. Time to acknowledge the gay community elsewhere.

10. My post was not a wind up.
    Homophobia is good. I praise Moscow and all other countries that do not tolorate public celebration and promotion of homosexuals. There would be less hostility if homosexuals lived their lives normally instead of making fools of themselves with the outdated parade that the force on others and cities.

Doris