‘Milk’ voted gay film of the decade

1. Milk & Single Man are the best.

2. Warm fuzzies. :) I’m glad that a serious film got the top spot, shows we’ve all got our priorities straight (<—obvious pun) after all.

3. Milk is a very good movie.

brokeback mountain is a very poor movie of denial and misery too easily associated with past gay related movies. Just crap all round.

Best movie to me is shelter. A well written and acted and beautifully shot movie that is very heart warming.

1. Connor Wallace 13 May 2011, 1:39pm

Definately. Brokeback mountain was a total fail.

4. Agree about brokeback pure cliché. Paris is burning is my favorite

1. Paris is Burning is f–king ace! I downloaded it from Pirate Bay and would recommend it to everyone, it’s from the early 90s though so probably doesn’t fit the time period. My recommendation for LOL gay themed film is “Cruising”, what were Pacino or the makers of the film thinking?

1. oi naughty if you respect the actors and the director you must buy it legally so that they get the royalties and can make more good movies

1. I think the actors participating in that film were all off the street so to speak and unfortunately I think quite a lot of them have died from AIDs, drug abuse etc. The only place you can probably lay your hands on that film now is Amazon and we don’t want to reopen the can of “Amazon is killing small retailers” that was first opened last week on here when that San Fran bookshop announced it was to close down. Don’t go there girlfriend!

1. Maybe their next of kin will get some cash. they earned it. Amazon £7.99 I have no problem with amazon. I always find book shops to be a bit snobby

2. Staircase2 13 May 2011, 4:33pm

I don’t think Brokeback Mountain a cliche at all – if anything it shows another side to gay life which has not been shown before – and the heartache of denial and misery has not been talked about before on that level.
      It shows the extent which repression causes deep seated unhappiness and is therefore to be commended.
      Milk is a great movie too – and to be honest we’re in a very fortunate position to be able to have such a good crop of films to even choose from in the first place – THAT shows we’re making progress!

5. Jock S. Trap 13 May 2011, 8:57am

Brokeback Mountain has to be my personal winner, followed by Milk and A Single Man.

6. aunty babs 13 May 2011, 9:29am

there wasn’t exactly an abundance of choice was there? but out of the ones available, Milk was very worthy, brokeback Mountain would have been my choice as most important, not because of ot’s qualities, but because it did bring gay film to a wider audience. A Single Man was superb. and i loved I Love You Philip Morris. whilst i know there were more, i really think 4 major gay interest in 10 years is actually quite sad. am hoping to see more in next 10.

7. Not quite the decade, or even the millennium but I’d recommend Get Real as a great film – http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162973/

8. Really disappointed by ‘The Kids Are Alright’, loved the trailer and the whole concept of it and then went to watch it and felt a bit let down by the fact that she then has a straight affair. Felt like a means to make it a mainstream film and play up to some popular stereotype. Loved Annette Bening in it and the whole feel of the film and the soundtrack but it makes me a bit annoyed!

Milk was superb and an actual ‘proper’ film! Most gay films are complete dross and this was a great film that also did alot to help with the Prop 8 debate.

Brokeback Mountain was ok but long and slow and actually felt like what it was, a short story dragged out to fill 2 hours screen time. Great acting by Heath Ledger but disappointing that this is viewed as a monumental gay film and turning point in cinema.

I actually really like ‘Imagine me and you’. It’s completely cheesy but it’s just a lovely film where you could almost forget it had a gay theme and just enjoy a film about 2 people falling in love!

9. What about “breakfast with scott”? I thought that was a great film.

And Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Not a gay film, but it had a gay lead character who wasn’t closeted, a stereotype or a tragic figure. He was cool, confident and totally comfortable. Nice, refreshing change to see someone like that in mainstream (ish) cinema. Well done Kieran Culkin.

10. my personal favorite movie is ‘but I’m a cheerleader’ very cheesy but hilarious points out the flaws in praying it straight camps. After that definitely Milk it’s such a great film.

11. I haven’t seen all these movies but I thought Brokeback was cinematically brilliant and Milk had great writing and acting. And the scenes of San Francisco were a big nostalgia trip after a great holiday there.

12. Having seen the film a few times, I am so excited to see it get the recognition that it deserves!

Michael
    OutMaturity

13. Film was very ugly about very ugly psychopath and narcoman.

1. David Myers 14 May 2011, 6:47am

Hungry Troll – do not feed

1. David Myers, you are an idiot! All I do is expressing my opinions on different topics. I do possess the right to opinions, and you, idiot, must comprehend this fact.

1. Yes, you’re entitled to your opinions, Rich, but you can’t be surprised that your previous vile, irrelevant, racist and potentially illegal comments indicate that you’re either a sick person or a troll, and David Myers is entitled to express his opinion that it’s the later.
          Or are you angry that he suggested no-one respond to you? If you want attention, then seek the help you need to come out and be happier rather than show yourself up on PN.
          We pity you because you’re so transparently in need of help.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 May 2011, 10:52am

Interesting that you claim to have watched it Rich!
      Enjoy watching films with a Gay theme to do we ?

14. David Myers 14 May 2011, 6:58am

When I first heard Sean Penn would play the role of Harvey Milk, I thought “Penn is too short to play Milk” (who was a tall thin Abraham Lincoln-like person). After seeing “Milk” I’ve decided Sean is more than tall enough! Kudos to Penn, Van Sant, and all the cast!
    I had the great priviledge to see the premiere of the 1984 documentary film, “The Times of Harvey Milk” in the Castro theater in San Francisco along with so many of the people who were in the film. It was an emotionally cathartic experience that I will never forget.

15. Mike Bridgestock 14 May 2011, 5:13pm

Ah but has anyone here ever heard or read about Harvey Milks alleged spooky, covert work for the CIA? Allegedly he was on their payroll. He was also connected to Rev Jim Jones and his creepy cult.

16. Spanner1960 16 May 2011, 2:02am

I still think “Hot Twinks in Prague 6″ was the best movie for ages.

;)