Gay Labour MP David Cairns dies

1. Helen Wilson 10 May 2011, 12:48pm

May he rest in peace, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

2. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 12:51pm

Very Sad news.

My heart & thoughts goes out to his family and friends.

3. Adam Alexander King 10 May 2011, 12:55pm

My heart goes out to his family and friends. This is a rather tragic loss for the gay community in British politics.

4. This certainly is sad news indeed.
    Lets hope he gets the respect he deserves from the comments on this thread.

5. Ed Johnson 10 May 2011, 1:15pm

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this very difficult time.

6. 44? How untimely. Very sad news.

7. Very Sad, R.I.P David. xx

8. Paul Halsall 10 May 2011, 1:48pm

Reports in other sources seem to elide that he was gay.

As a gay man (who does not have a partner, sadly) these stories so far have terrified me.

I did not know David Cairns, but I am sorry for his early death.

Still – perhaps it was just too well known to the initiated – I find the lack of reference to him being openly gay just awful. Thank goodness for Pink News –

Being gay for me is not just an incidental attribute but is more like having an ethnicity. Having the issue not discussed or brushed aside after I die is a dreadful prospect.

I think I will just have to specify a pink concrete gravestone with rhinestone bling. Nothing else will stop straight people ignoring the subject.

1. Paul,

Your obervation of other news source making no mention that David Cairns was gay should come as no surprise to me. He was my MP and many of us in Inverclyde knew David was gay but he was never referred to as a gay MP. He was a very private person and rarely ever spoke about his sexuality, nor made a show of it. The local newspaper in Inverclyde is not very gay-friendly, as it likes to view itself as the cornerstone for working class with a very strong family ethos. I would not be surprised if my local newspaper omit the name of David’s partner when it reports his death in tomorrow’s edition.

9. Such sorry news. He will be missed

10. No age at all. Very very sad.

11. Very sad news
    A well respected politician who handled LGBT and other issues with great sensitivity and insight
    Thinking of his partner, family and friends …

12. It’s always so sad when someone who does so much good dies so young. RIP. Thoughts are with his partner.

13. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Far too young to be taken from us.

14. Dan Filson 10 May 2011, 6:33pm

I echo all the comments and in sending commiserations to his family and friends I do, of course, include his partner pre-eminently.

15. Scarily David was my MP for many years and not once did anyone mention his sexuality, in fact I didn’t even know he was gay until today,

16. That’s no age, so sad. Thoughts are with his family.

17. Deeply touching. 44. So sad.
    But bravo to him for all he set out to do that was worthwhile and for all that he achieved that was so worthwhile.

18. James Rall. 10 May 2011, 8:31pm

I was at work when I heard the news.
    I met him about 9-10 weeks ago. Yo talk to him was a pleasure.He was well mannered.Very polite.My thoughts are with his partner, and to his family. May he Rest In Peace.

19. What a sad time.It is at times like this,I question my religious faith.44 is no age and my prayers are with the partner of David and family.

As for not knowing David was gay,we are not all camp,limp wristed humanbeings.

20. Re my comment last night about local newspaper omitting the name of David Cairn’s partner, sadly I was right. The paper said David was survived by his father John and brother Billy – no mention of David’s partner. Greenock Telegraph ought to be ashamed of themselves

1. I knew David through work and family and although I suspected he was gay I didn’t know for sure that he was a practising homosexual. He was entitled to his privacy and perhaps his parents would have been upset especially as they were heartbroken when he left the priesthood. He was a good priest too.It is to his credit that in a town like Greenock he didn’t apparently suffer from anti catholicism or homophobia, at least to my knowledge.My thoughts are with his family and Dermot. if he was David’s partner I’m sure he is a fine man. God rest David as well as the community I personally will miss your smiling face .