Study finds gay men are more likely to have had cancer

1. Christine Beckett 9 May 2011, 11:24am

Um.. Could it perhaps be that California has a larger proportion of gay men than other places? That would certain skew the results.

chrissie

2. A “being gay damages your health” story. Not seen one of these in a while.

I would suggest that gay people are more at ease with their bodies, with less to prove to themselves by putting up with medical problems, so they go to have things checked out sooner.

Is that a huge generalisation? Maybe, but it works for me.

1. Chutneybear 9 May 2011, 11:34am

Dont be so ignorant George. The article does nothing to imply being gay damages your health, it says as a demographic population we are exposed to more dangers. Again calm the faux outrage, you are’nt Elton John or am I wrong?

2. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 8:40am

It’s not being Gay that damages health, it’s religion that damages the LGBT communities health.

3. I had cancer when I was 18 although I didn’t lose my virginity or come out till I was 20, did it know in advance? D:
    Why was a study like this even being taken out?

1. Paddyswurds 9 May 2011, 2:53pm

@VertMB……
      …….Weeellll actually, yes Vert. I assume you believe, like the rest of us, that we are born gay. So, that being the case cancer could have known (were that possible) in advance, as you have always been gay, even tho you yourself weren’t aware of it until two years later.
      What this study does reinforce however, is the contention that being gay is not a choice, because if that were the case there logically would be no difference across nthe entire male population.

1. Jason Brown 9 May 2011, 6:12pm

To be honest I do not believe sexuality is that simple, I believe your sexuality is not a choice but to state that sexuality can’t be fluid and must be set in stone is incorrect in my opinion, everyone is different, for some their sexuality is set in stone but for others their sexuality has a more fluid nature, I do not agree with the statement that I have always been gay, I do agree that I am currently gay and it’s unlikely to change, to be honest I don’t really think there is a definite gay or straight, I believe in a more complicated kinsley scale-like system, sexuality can vary as much as heights, to say straight or gay just seems like saying tall or short when in actuality there are varying degrees of height as well as sexuality and sometimes your height/sexuality may differ during different parts of your life.

1. 100% Agree with your comments Jason, my thoughts exactly.

2. Jason Brown 9 May 2011, 6:13pm

Judging from this study and this study alone it unfortunately does not conclude being gay is not a choice, it’s really a rather meaningless statistic that has been distorted by non-scientists to pass off assumptions/things they’d like to be true as facts.

4. A bit of generalisation here…what types of cancers are a problem in LGBT people and why? Smoking is the problem for some cancers NOT being gay. Why is anal cancer a problem (if you don’t have HIV) and how can it be prevented. I like the one about the HPV and is probably specific to gay men since they won’t have a vaccine, the vaccine should be given to young boys before they’ve had sex as well as girls…it’s not fair and this report may or may not show this…I think there is or was a stigma about going to the doctor if you’re gay since the doctor can be judgemental and in the back of their mind tend to link us with HIV whatever we go in there for…Have no idea why lesbians would have poorer health afterwards, seems bizarre!

5. Walk past a dozen gay bars in Soho and then walk past a dozen general pubs and on the pavements outside you will see one big obvious reason for the larger number of gay men with cancer than their straight counterparts – a hugely greater number of gay men are still stupid enough to smoke.

Why are there still cigarette vending machines in gay venues? Why are their no hard-hitting health posters targeting gay men in particular who are drawn in such disproportionate numbers to this filthy and deadly habit? It would be interesting to see some statistics on lung cancer and sexuality.

1. Spanner1960 9 May 2011, 7:55pm

I agree, gay men smoke proportionally considerably more than straight men.
      However, you wish to demonise and segregate gay men even more by telling them not to smoke?

Not only are they seen to be dirty, filthy gay men, but dirty filthy smokers too.
      Have you ever wondered why gay men smoke more? Maybe they have more on their plates than most, maybe they need that smoke to settle their nerves. I so wish interfering, holier-than-thou twats like you would put a sock in it. People like you irritate me far more than any God-fearing homophobe.

And before you ask, I’m a fag with a fag.

6. I see thi as a being gay gives you cancer articles.

Fact is it depends here you do a survey like this and how many involved.

If I look at all the cancer suffered in the soho area … Omg ! Most are gay >.>

So many people still smoke and general life effects you can’t say someone based on sexuality is more likely to get cancer. Anyone can get cancer it’s down to the individual not sexuality.

7. Some of you need to take a statistics class. Christine, They are comparing percentages, not absolute numbers of people. Adam88, this study uses a huge population, many more than most national studies, making it more statistically significant. The article isn’t about being gay hurts your health but is rather showing a correlation between being gay and having a higher rate of cancer. A good follow-up study would be to find which kinds are cancer are more prevalent. Some good insight was provided about HPV, but we should see if lung cancer is a problem too. If so, then we need to ask whether being part of gay culture encourages smoking. Please don’t read anything into this article that isn’t there…these are simply the results of a study and there isn’t enough information to jump to all these conclusions.

1. I guess some of us are a bit scared of reports that come out of groups like the marantha community which have stated that “Any measures that tended to encourage or normalise homosexual practices would in fact be very likely to do damage to the nation’s health” and on the face of it this report backs them up and could be used against the gay “community”. I wish they had focused on types of cancer and causes eg lung cancer/smoking, anal cancer/HPV or other …you get the initial sense from this article that being “gay” causes cancer….why gay people continue to smoke heavens knows since the adversting for smoking and cancer is everywhere …there is a vaccine for HPV and cervical cancer has been reduced yet becuase there is an assumption few boys will become gay then they don’t get the vaccine becuase of cost effectiveness, we all know smoking kills the report isn’t on what percentage of gays smoke!!! We all know HIV has medical consequences, I didn’t know anal cancer was one of them.

1. I am confused. I know some strains of the HPV virus can cause cancer but I read that the HPV strain that causes genital and anal warts actually does not cause cancer :s

1. My understanding is that genital warts in women can cause cervical cancer (hence the vaccine for young girls before they start having sex) and anal warts in gay men could cause anal cancer …assumption is that there will be few gay men , compared to straight women, therefore no vaccine for young boys. Also could be controversial vaccine becuase they are being vaccinated in case they have anal sex when they grow up as adults. The Christian movement don’t like the vaccine for girls since it’s against an STD!. only what I think the sitution is..

1. There is too much conflicting material on this. I might ask my doctor because I am really curious lol.

8. Even cancer is homophobic in America

9. Maybe it’s just from… STRESS… from being forced to grow up in the closet.

10. Here in America, it’s always about capitalism, including with health. Scientists can come up with a new “study” to get dollars… and I wouldn’t be surprised if this study might have been underwritten or supported by the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture the HPV vaccine. Now we have a reason to vaccinate 100% of the population, both boys and girls, when they’re young.

11. I’d like a bit more information about this study. The first thing I thought was how did they know about the respondents were honest about their sexuality? The second thing was what was the purpose of the study?
    Maybe it’s just the brief nature of this article that gives me this impression, but it sounds a bit weird to me on first reading.

1. I agree it sounds a bit odd. My understanding is that it was a general health survey asking lots of people lots of questions including on their sexual orientation and cancer history. The researchers then noticed the statistical correlation. The trouble with randomly searching for correlations is that one should expect a small proportion of those apparent correlations to in fact be purely due to random chance.

Perhaps gay men who have cancer (or who have survived it) are more likely to ‘live life to the full’ and not care who they tell that they are gay, compared to gay men who have not had cancer and are more circumspect when answering surveys? Just a thought.

1. Excellent point in your last paragraph, Fred. I hadn’t thought of that.

12. If I have this right, the study is of survivors of cancer which is a very specific class. Presumably that means people who have had it and are alive and well enough to be surveyed? So doesn’t the question then become “why are there more survivors of cancer amongst the gay population”?

If that’s the real question, I’d think things like prostate and testicular cancer might be more easily noticed by a male partner of a male and so treated earlier. Or else, gay people comfortable enough to identify as gay in a survey might well be comfortable enough to have themselves checked out and thus catch the cancer early enough to treat it.

Just my guess.

13. I think a lot more research needs to be done before any definite conclusions can be reached or inferences made. After all the term ‘cancer’ covers over 200 diseases and a great deal more information would be needed as to the types of cancer that have been diagnosed – it makes little sense to lump together different diseases such as prostate cancer, lung cancer and skin cancer and then start to draw conclusions as though they are the same disease.
    What would perhaps be of much more use would be to advise everybody, perhaps men especially, to know their bodies, self-examine regularly and when any anomoly is detected, to have the balls to go and seek proper medical advice.
    Just a thought or two from a Testicular Cancer survivor!!!

1. testicular cancer isn’t a result of being gay …lung/throat/mouth cancer is found in smokers…skin beucase of exposure to sun etc…I’m not sure just reporting cancer by sexual orientation is the most useful report….it’s got a dramtic ring about it though and I’m sure the researchers think it’s good for LGBT people but I’d prefer to know why I’m more susceptible to a cancer becuase I have no reason to believe simply being gay will make me more susceptible to a cancer….I don’t smoke or drink much. excercie and eat well but I have gay safe sex (what are the consequences of that!, that’s the only difference between gays and straights???) …does discrimination cause cancer???. Can’t gays already read the same leaflets/adverts availbale to straights that are already out there about smoking, eating well, looking at your testes etc..The only new info here is the HPV thing!

14. Guess my mother was right when she said too many fags will kill you.

15. Don’t give a shyt if cancer kills men. As long as the government keeps founding breast cancer screening and treatment, let them retards get what they deserve.

1. Retards like you Lila, are you the outcome of a government funded labotomy initiative?

2. Commander Thor 9 May 2011, 7:57pm

How lovely of you Lila. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UACK93xF-FE

3. Spanner1960 9 May 2011, 7:58pm

Sounds like Lila’s missing some cock again. Or maybe it’s just that time of the month again. Wimmin get tetchy like that, apparently.

4. Well, once they keep funding counselling projectors, there’s hope for you lila. Although, what with all the biking accidents, you probably have brain trauma.

5. You’d include your father, brother, nephew, cousins and male friends in that, would you, lila?

1. all men are shyt, you, your brothers, your sons, you are all a bunch of fcukin men. loser

1. Is there something wrong with you that your spelling and grammatical prowess is that if a dyslexic 5 year old?

You know you can get help for that?

1. Your comment unfortunately failed because of your misspelling of the word “of” in “grammatical prowess is that if a dyslexic 5 year old?”. Sorry!

2. Oh, see that Iris, you’re apparently a man, simply because you make a coherent and intelligent statement that went over the head of poor angry basket case lila. What’ya think of that? That showed you, didn’t it? Yeah!

1. Yeah, I had to read it twice before I understood that she thought that :D I presume that was due to another one of her superficial assessments. I do wish she’d stop and think more.

3. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 8:49am

Oh How controversial of you lila… yawn,
          What a bore.

1. I see Lila thinks writing poorly written comments in my name makes her look less like the basket case she really is? Try harder, dear, your lack of education makes it a poor effort. Stupid cow.

4. So anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a man, lila?? Sorry but I’m very much a woman and what I object to about what you say is your huge generalisations. It is not only offensive, it’s utterly WRONG to imply that all men are bad. That mistake of yours means you’ll go through life unable to make accurate judgements about people’s true character because you’re only superficially looking at their gender.

1. please, give me a break, you are either a man or a fag, maybe a sissy boy or a mockery of a real woman. So that means you either are a traitor of women or a fkn man. what’s your problem boy, mommy isn’t cleaning your room for you? loser. I bet you drive a bicycle like a girl, and you’re scared of bikes like all fags. I could crush you in seconds.

So what does iris stand for? I retarded insecure shyt? What a cokc. A real lesbian would never defend men, they are all a bunch of fkn rapists.

2. What’s you’re problem then, you twisted old bitch? Your daddy didn’t want to fcuk you, becuase you’re as ugly on the outside as you are inside?

And STILL with the 12 year old bike threats. Sweetie, drive it off a cliff, and show us how smart a bet down troll like you is?

3. “I retarded insecure shyt?”

I beg you pardon? LOL! You are as stupid as you are mentally challenged. Speak English, my dear, English. Try reading instead of biking.

4. lila, you’re definitely NOT a feminist and probably not even a woman. You gave yourself away there with your comment to me: “I bet you ride a bicycle like a girl”. No feminist would ever imply that doing anything ‘like a girl’ was somehow inferior.
            Now I’m convinced you’re a troll. You don’t want to engage in debate, you misrepresent yourself, and I’m pretty sure you’ve made comments on PN before under a different name.

5. Oh, and don’t bother with all your silly little insults. Water off a duck’s back. I never respond to abuse like that. It’s infantile in the extreme and I almost feel sorry for you that you lack the self-awareness to see how daft you’re making yourself look.

6. you so dumb. Like a girl isn’t offensive to women, like a real woman is good. I am a real woman, unlike you stupid moron. A real woman is strong like an adult who can ride real motorbikes, girls are week because they’re too young and still a bit immature, like you would expect from a young one. But you stupid idiot are just a retard cose you don’t understand nothing. I am a strong adult and I challenge to a bike ride. fcuk yeah!

7. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 2:58pm

lila = Fake anyone?

8. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 3:02pm

lila
            If your a woman then I’m Florence Nightingale!

9. “A real woman is strong like an adult who can ride real motorbikes”

I tend to agree with Jock and Iris, no normal person would make a ridiculous statement like this. Its becoming more obvious she’s a troll only here to inflame, like Rich.

I would not be surprised if they were the same person.

10. Notice the same appalling grasp of rudimentary grammar, just like Rich: “But you stupid idiot are just a retard cose you don’t understand nothing”

Too similar?

11. I think Will is on to something here.

12. A bike ride, lila? :D Is that all you can do? And your explanation of your slip up in your comment to me about riding a bike like a girl was just sad and desperate.
            English isn’t your first language? Then what is because maybe you’d make more sense in that.

13. you’re just sad woman-haters, your misogyny is unbelievable. I’m done here, with all of you. All you can do is to offend and humiliate feminists (your English btw isn’t any better). I was only trying to show that rape is a terrible crime, and that all men are rapists. How many women must suffer because of men? You iris, I don’t believe you are a real woman for one second, but if you really are, you should be ashamed of yourself. My only desire is to live in a world with no men. I love women, and that’s who I am.

14. Shut up Rich.

15. “My only desire is to live in a world with no men”

LOL! Short lived world that it would be too. Basic biology eludes even its dull witted mind.

16. No, lila – YOU’RE the misogynist. You attacked Linda on a previous thread I saw and you attacked me here. You don’t seem to like women any more than you like men. You’re clearly a very angry and upset person.

If you care to tell us a little more, it’d be nice to know why.

17. I’ll assume you’re just trying to provoke with your daft ‘you’re not a woman’ comment just like you did with Linda. Let me try again – all men are NOT rapists, OK? If you want to talk about rape, then do but to say things like that totally undermines your credibility. And a woman (me) who doesn’t agree with you is not a man. The vast majority of women wouldn’t agree with you because you are expressing illogical and offensive opinions. None of those women are men either.
            If you’re not a troll, you’re in dire need of help. And – to be clear – I mean that in genuine sympathy NOT as an insult.

18. because men are fkn liars! They are violent, you don’t know! You have no idea of the things i had to see. Why don’t they all die! You have no idea, it hurts! It hurts every day. All the men in my family were either liars or violent. I only saw nasty men doing horrible things. And they don’t pay, they never pay, they always get away with their crimes. They think they are so special, so much better, but they are all shyts.

19. Isis, she/he is a troll just trying to provoke a sympathy reaction.

20. Yes, Will, I agree. But I can’t help feeling sorry for someone who feels the need to do that. He/she must be a very unhappy person and disturbed person and should seek counselling and help.
            lila, even if all the men in your family were horrible, it doesn’t follow that ALL men are. Why won’t you accept that obvious point?

21. I think so too Iris. If this is genuine or not, the postings in here are obviously from a damaged person. If this person is bating or troll’ing, then equally, they need help. And a lot of it, becuase either way, supporting and justifying a heinous crime like rape, as lila did, has absolutely no excuses.

22. Quite right,Will. ‘Damaged’ is a good choice of word. I do pity him/her.
            lila – troll or not – you need some help and someone professional to talk to.

16. Great news! Hopely, all perverts will die soon!

1. YAWN. Next time, try something different. Less boring.

2. You mean the ‘straight’ perverts who hang around gay news sites making racist, aggressive and potentially illegal comments like you do, Rich, I presume? And ‘using’ someone else’s IP to do it, you said? Nice. Poor, sad Rich.

1. LOL @ Iris. You said it!

3. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 8:49am

Rich
      I think you and lila should get together.

1. They’re probably the same person.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 4:37pm

Would explain a lot!! LOL

4. Rich, the only perversion around here is your inhuman comments

17. sven’s right – this was a study of cancer survivors:

So it’s weird that it’s being portrayed as ‘gay men are more likely to get cancer’ when it could just as easily be ‘gay men are more likely to SURVIVE cancer’.
    I don’t like the way this is being reported or presented.

18. Sam Maloney 10 May 2011, 2:18am

So far as I can see, these stats haven’t been corrected for HIV or other STIs, in which case they should serve only as a reminder of the importance of always practicing safe sex.

In that sense, presenting it as a gay/straight issue is misleading, and perhaps not accidentally so.

1. You’re not getting much out of this report unless you know what the primary cuase of the particular cancer is whether it’s STI/HIV related or related to something quite different. Cancer isn’t gay specific..interesting stats and that’s about it, you need to look at the prevalance of smoking. HIV etc in the gay community not the pevalance of cancer….

19. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 8:39am

“She pointed to research which suggests gay men, lesbians and bisexuals are more likely to smoke and abuse alcohol than straight people”
    Well isn’t that because unlike the straight community, the LGBT community suffers the most abuse just for being themselves, leading to smoking, alcohol and drug abuse.
    So treating this information like an illness, they are treating the illness but ignoring the possible cause.

1. I guess the report highlights in a round about way that cancer is more prevalent in gays becuause they are discriminated against, subject to more abuse ect leading to a bad attitude and mental problems which could lead to more smoking, drink and riskier sex etc??? If this is the case then I think there could have been a better way of showing it rather than linking cancer to gays and drawing the conclusions it was due to mental anguish..

1. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 11:47am

‘bad attitude’?
        Unlike lila, most people that have been mentally and phyically abused, usually by religion and/or religious people, are the ones with the most forgiving, calming attitudes.
        The fact remains,
        Unlike LGBT people, Straight people do not get bullied, abused, attacked, tortured, murdered because they are straight.
        Unlike LGBT people, Straight people do not have their relationships under constant attack because they fall in love with the opposite sex.
        Unlike LGBT people, Straight people are not under debate, if they are right or wrong because they are born straight.
        Unlike LGBT people, Straight people do not have to suffer the Death penalty in various parts of the world just because they are straight.
        Unlike LGBT people, Straight people can celebrate their love of another by getting Married, celebrating their live together.

1. Perhaps bad attitude is not the correct phrase but I think we’re actually on the same side here..personally it’s not religious people/religioun that have given me a bad time , it’s usually people who just seem to think it’s ok to attack people becuase they think they’re gay and I don’t think it’s got anything to do with relgiion, it’s probably got something to do with being different… But I agree religion has been working hard and at high levels to make it really hard for gay people….religioun should be condeming the people that teased and abused me and not condeming me becuase I’m gay..bizarrre!

2. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 11:49am

Yet there is No difference between love, yet Unlike Straight people, the LGBT are pigeon-holed in society by assumptions made by those who chose a Religious lifestyle demanding us to remain second class human beings.
        Yet again, Like the Straight community we contribute just as much, just as Equally.

20. Uh oh… I guess it’s off to a gay correctional facility for me to prevent cancer eh?

1. Jock S. Trap 10 May 2011, 11:50am

Sadly, Christians only think being Gay can be cured, they haven’t gotten round to those living with cancer.

21. I have problem with studies on “gay men”. how is this really measured.How many of the straight men are really straight? That sort of thing.Who is gay? according to these so called studies.Those who are openly acknowlegding themselves as such?Then who is straight,those who are acknowlegding themselves to be? This is so vague and interesting.It renders all these studies a bit random.

1. JP-
      Exactly so. Who is being identified as gay and exactly how?
      I think all these ‘studies’ need to be approached with extreme caution.