Lesbian newsreader says gay men and women have a ‘responsibility to come out’

1. Such arrogance!

1. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 8:53pm

What do you find arrogant?

2. What a load of bollock’s
    If a persoin chooses not to come out, then as an indiviadul that is their right and no amount of pressure should be put on anyone “to come out” if the choose not to.

1. Not coming out requires hiding your real self from the world. This is not a temptation for straight people.

People need to get used to living honestly and not exercising their right to “not come out” (ie to live a lie). Otherwise we shall continue to be a persucuted minority.

In this context the the topical royal wedding highlights a potential problem. If Will happens in fact to be gay, would he be alowed the freedom to say so?

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 11:38am

But there is a difference between those in this business out to family and friends and not wanting the whole world to know. It’s not living a lie at all. It’s being private about oneself.
        Like I said in my main piece if the person isn’t doing this community I really don’t see the harm in respecting someone’s privacy.
        There is a part of me that thinks we should have moved on from who we are affecting our jobs. Now we seem to be going from one extreme to another but at the end of the day does it change the way we work as a person? No.

1. Paul Halsall 26 Apr 2011, 12:03pm

No, it is indeed living a lie.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 12:39pm

Actually it’s called privacy. We should all have the right to it so long as we aren’t doing the community damage by badmouthing and being hypocritrical like alot of these closet cases. Usually religious leaders or Senators caught After hiring that rent boy.

2. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2011, 5:13pm

There is a difference between lying and just not telling everybody the truth. Coming out is a personal choice, and it is not down to others to coerce or force that issue.

I have always made it my policy that if somebody asks me if I am gay, i wouldn’t deny it, for the simple reason they must have a damn good idea about me in the first place. However, that does not mean I have to shout it from the rooftops and make a big deal about it either. Frankly, it’s nobody else’s damn business.

3. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:17pm

@Paul Halshall…
            ….not to mention sad, selfish, ashamed and dare I say homophobic.

2. In most cases it usually involves a whole load of lies to keep ones sexual orientation private…try it yourself,see how hard it is…..

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:18pm

@john….
            …and of course darting furtively in and out of cottages and sordid “darkrooms”

2. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 8:59pm

The personal is political: identities are political, and there is more at stake than someone’s privacy. Not coming out affirms a dangerous dominant culture. We all have a duty to our moral communities, just as we are obliged to be honest about other elements of our identity. Because of heteronormativity, not coming out is effectively coming out as straight, living a lie, as others have said.

3. Well if you support or freely belong to an institution or organisation that is or seen as homophobic then you should have the balls and come out.

1. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2011, 5:14pm

I believe that’s called “Making a rod for your own back.”

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:21pm

…..
        ….no, making a rod for your own back is being closeted, furtive and dishonest firstly to ones self and secondly to everyone else and as such not to be trusted..

1. Spanner1960 28 Apr 2011, 2:53am

How can hiding from an obvious situation make things worse?
          Most people, when seeing an aggressive situation retreat, yet you call them cowards and expect them to open themselves to abuse, attack and ridicule just to further the LGBT cause.
          You are an even more selfish fcukwit than I took you for.

1. Paddyswurds 1 May 2011, 7:21pm

@…..
            …….If you over 17 and still in the closet you are a cowardly homophobic non person and anyone who knows your sordid little secret thinks so too. Hanging out at the local darkroom or tea rooms is hardly a life any young person wants for themselves and you behavior isn’t exactly encouraging or an example of a life well lived and happy..

4. You trollers just don’t see that the more lesbians and gays are invisible, the less people will realise how many there are; and, for that matter, how ordinary most are.

1. Yes. The only reason we’ve made any progress anywhere, the ONLY reason, is because people have come out.

You can talk gay rights and gay citizenship and so on until you’re blue in the face. But it’s only philosophical until there are real people to be seen (and reckoned with).

2. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 9:02pm

Precisely! That’s the consequentialist argument for an individual’s moral duty to come out for the sake of hir community. The small sacrifice of coming out now will lead to the greater good of future generations not needing to come out. More immediately, the more people come out, the fewer queer teens will commit suicide.

5. 1. Rachel Maddow is not a ‘newsreader’. She’s a news anchor, commentating on the news, rather than reading a factual account. Think Andrew Marr. This is important because she is a prominent voice in US political discourse, in a way that, say, Jane Hill is not in the UK.

2. Rachel Maddow didn’t tell the Guardian that everyone should come out. She said other news anchors should come out. This is quite different from saying that vulnerable people, such as teenagers living at home with evangelical parents, should come out.

3. Rachel Maddow (as Aquila pointed out) has used her blog to expand on her Guardian comments. She explains that she thinks people should come out, but only:

‘if and when we feel that we can.
    We should all get to decide for ourselves the “if and when we feel that we can” part of that. Closeted people should reasonably expect to be outed by other gay people if (and only if) they prey on the gay community in public, but are secretly gay themselves.’

6. Well done Rachel!

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:22pm

…….
      …………..seconded!!

7. I think Rachel is fantastic and I agree with her.
    I have been saying a similar thing since my teens (in the 1960’s).
    For all the imagined and real difficulties of coming out, once done, it is magnificently liberating.
    I find closeted gays around me to be an anachronism and they try and compromise my integrity by trying to make sure I don’t accidentally out them. If LGBT people really believe in equality they should stand up and be honest.

1. If lgbt people believe in equality the racism needs to be sorted out

8. People in the closet do seem to make such awful mistakes when in fact just being honsest and out would have in fact been so much simpler. So many former closets that know have led such miserable married lives to women I just can’t understand why people continue to do it. Don’t know whether it’s a duty to come out but I think it’s probably a duty of all of us to encourage them to come out. Closets aren’t generaly vey happy and fulfilled and it’s terribly hard lying all the time.

9. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 11:33am

Totally disagree with Ms Maddow.

So long as the person isn’t doing any harm to the LGBTQ community I don’t see why they have to ‘come out’ if they really don’t want to.
    Many will probably already be out amongst friends and family but don’t see the need to make a big song and dance about it if that personal wish to be private about it.

1. It’s not about making a big ‘song and dance’ it’s about being honest and showing solidarity.
      Being in the closet (ie. pretending to be straight when you’re not) to me, and I stress to me, is no better than the ‘Uncle Toms’ of 50’s and 60’s America.

2. Paul Halsall 26 Apr 2011, 12:06pm

The difference between a closet case and an openly gay person is that the openly gay person is virtuous.

And more free.

See – here I post under my own name, while you have to hide behind a ludicrous “handle”.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 12:50pm

For both remarks it’s called choice.

1. Paul Halsall 26 Apr 2011, 1:19pm

No, it’s called cowardice and letting others take the fire.

I agree people newly coming to terms with being gay should take all the time they need to come out.

But older homosexuals just braying about privacy does not impress me.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 2:50pm

Well thank Gaga we don’t live in a dictatorship then.
            I rather prefer my choices and freedoms.
            Many of those people are already open to family and friends I don’t see the need to make them go ‘global’ if they don’t want to.
            We’ve spent years campaigning that being Gay should never be a factor when doing a job, now we seem to make it relevent again when being who we are has not barring on how we do a job. We do a job Regardless.
            Just because you like to open yourself up to all, doesn’t mean everyone does. People can be happy in their own skin and choice how to show it. Respecting how people do it another thing. So as I sqay so long as they do no harm to the community I respect their right to privacy.
            Me personally I have always been open about being who I am in a job but I equally respect those who don’t.
            PS what you do or don’t think about my name is irrelevent. I’m here to debate with adults not make snide childish remarks about people’s names.

2. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2011, 5:18pm

There is no “community”, and there is no loyalty either.
            LGBT people should do what is right for themselves, not every queer on the planet, just because lefties like you consider it politically expedient to do so.

3. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:52pm

@Spanner1960…
            …..”Why is it cowardice? As is commonly pointed out, none of us chose to be gay, so why should we stick our necks on the block just because others choose to.”
            That is exactly why we shouldn’t be afraid to come out. We were born that way and as such we have nothing to be ashamed about.
            I certainly didn’t think i was “sticking my neck on the block” when i came out to my Irish catholic family 40 years ago. I was no more ashamed of my sexuality than I was of the colour of my eyes and nor should anyone else.

4. Jock S. Trap 27 Apr 2011, 10:47am

I find it hilarious that a couple of weeks ago myself and others who support freedom and choice over a certain kissing incident and were branded ‘militants’.

Now we have those same people demanding that unless you come out you sad, coward, blah, blah, blah. Basically forcing people out or be forced out.
            Which actually is very ‘militant’.

At least my stance on freedom of choice and expression is consistant.

5. Paddyswurds 1 May 2011, 7:31pm

@……….
            …………hilariously once again no one was against the kiss per se, it was the behavior of the two unmannerly queens when asked to cool their ardor as it was a straight establishment and a person had complained. The two yobs chose to carry on and then confronted the management and caused an almighty scene and were (rightly) ejected. I would have had them arrested for making trouble if i was the management. Then the awful American Shetlar saw an opportunity for exposure of his thugishness and escalated the whole affair into an unseemly to do about nothing.

3. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 1:04pm

@JST…
      …well you would. If she had said you absolutely should stay in the closet you’d be screaming homophobe in all directions. It is your mission in life to be a twisted homophobe and self hater who hates everyone else as well. Surprise surprise. I wonder what your other manifestations will say…..CMYB, eddy, & james! etc. No doubt they will be as twisted,….. oh and I almost forgot the biggest bigot of all your split personalities, rapture!!

1. love the italian flag paddy

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 4:15pm

It’s not Italian…it’s Irish,…. Green White and Orange..Italian is Green White and Red.

2. Spanner1960 26 Apr 2011, 5:19pm

ROFL!!!
          Now I’m going to have wipe down all the coke I just sprayed across my monitor.

2. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 2:54pm

GROW UP!

4. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:11pm

@jst…
      ….Yea, you said already……
      Only homophobic cowards dont come out…… meanwhile all GLBs suffer because of closeted cowards.

5. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:30pm

….
      ……”So long as the person isn’t doing any harm to the LGBTQ community”
      That is the whole point…they are doing harm to the GLB community by their closeted ashamed homophobia. And some even destroy the lives of others by getting married and producing children, while living a lie that invariably always gets found out when they can no longer resist the pull to be true to their nature, and are caught trolling the local cottage or sordid “darkrooms”

6. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 9:04pm

Inaction is doing harm to the community. Take an adaptation of a thought experiment (from Peter Singer): you see a small child drowning in a pond. You could walk over and save the child’s life without any risk or inconvenience to yourself. Are you to blame for Not rescuing the child? Yes!

10. Paul Halsall 26 Apr 2011, 12:02pm

People do have a duty to come out. Everyone needs to have time to work out how, but closet cases ride on the rest of us.

Meanwhile, Rachel Maddow is an active TV journalist, not a “newreader”

1. Chutneybear 26 Apr 2011, 12:36pm

Not everyone does Paul ,sorry but that is complete bollox in my opinion. Privacy is a right enjoyed by everyone, straight people dont shout about being straight why should we be any different,

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 12:57pm

@Chutneybear….
        …..No one is saying you should hang out a shingle with all your life for everyone to see. But what closet cases do is actively hide what they are and would never ever admit to anyone they are gay. I am out but that doesn’t mean i go around anouncing it to all and sundry. but when the opportunity arises in conversation i have no problem with it and will refer to my partner in the couple sense when in general convo. same way as straights do they dont tell you instantly the minute you meet one that they aare straight as you say but i rally don’t see a problem with being out.
        I do however think t acively sttaying in the closet is the worst kind of Homophobia.

1. Spanner1960 28 Apr 2011, 2:47am

Paddyswurds: “I do however think actively staying in the closet is the worst kind of Homophobia.”
          Fine by me. That’s why I despise sanctimonious selfish tossers like you. If that makes me homophobic, then so be it.

1. Paddyswurds 30 Apr 2011, 10:01pm

@Spanner…
            ….No, it’s the closet queens who are the selfish tossers, furtively darting in and out of tea rooms and darkrooms while in the meantime pretending to be what they are not. All the while there are young boys wracked with guilt because they see themselves as similar to these homophobic self haters and can see no life for themselves and end up taking their own lives. Who is the selfish one in that scenario i wonder spanner. Never mind despising the “sanctimonious, it is yourself you despise. I am out 43 years and have yet to experience any of the homophobia envisaged by these cowards, and i have visited no less than 143 countries. Well with the exception of England where a group of seamen myself included had to run from a bunch of white English skinheads in early 1970 outside the Seamans Mission in E. London..

2. Jock S. Trap 1 May 2011, 8:39am

Militant!

3. Paddyswurds 1 May 2011, 7:34pm

Homophobic Coward!!

2. Paul Halsall 26 Apr 2011, 1:21pm

Straight people don’t wear engagement and wedding rings? Don’t make a huge fuss about who their boyfriend/girlfriend is?

Nonsense.

11. Half the people disagreeing with Maddow are probably doing so because they hate America, which isn’t really fair; or misreading the article that specifies newspeople come out. You should check out her full episodes online / iPod app / or podcast episodes. She is really great.

1. What has hating America got to do with anything? That’s a ridiculous suggestion. And to be honest if she comes across like the opinionated tw@t she is in her podcasts then I’d prefer to give them a miss.

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:38pm

….isn’t the whole point of being a successful journalist; to have an opinion on whatever one is writing or talking about.
        One wouldn’t think she would have much success if she just wrote ..well I don’t know how or what she could write anything without her own opinion, just as this is my opinion that what you wrote above is a sour grapes rant at someone you perceive as below you or should “know her place” whatever you perceive that to be?

1. I can’t be ersed reading your screendump Paddys, you seem to trawl the messages on here just picking an argument with people. You’re just so boring and predictable, just f–k off back to shoving spuds up your loose slack assh0le.

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Apr 2011, 12:44pm

CMYB

Do you mind I’m eating and that really is the last thing I want to be thinking about right now!! LOL
            Nope, too late, queasy feeling, not good…

2. Paddyswurds 27 Apr 2011, 8:14pm

@cmyb…
            ….well you obviously did. And too bad , i’m going nowhere its yu needs to fcuk of to your “darkrooms2 or cottaging where you will be more at home and you wont have to deal with intelligent comment which obviously annoys the hell outta you, ugly troll. Get used to it Mary cause if i can get on your ass i’m gonna be there telling you what an idiot you are.Your comments are nothing more than bad tempered whinges , and not just at my comments but any you don’t understand and that is your problem You don’t have the intellect to understand what most of the writers on here are saying…so ya boo Darkroom Troll.

3. Paddyswurds 28 Apr 2011, 10:28am

errate…
            …..”well you obviously did. And too bad , i’m going nowhere. It’s you who needs “to fcuk off back” to your “darkrooms” or cottaging, where you will be more at home and you wont have to deal with ……”

2. Paddyswurds 27 Apr 2011, 8:20pm

@Dandelion…
      …like cmyb. That darkroom troll goes from comment to comment telling people they are this and that while he himself has nothing whatever to say. He call Maddow an opinionated twat ffs. What does he think a journalist does but give an opinion on whatever the topic is.
      I also think she is a great example to young lesbians and indeed to young gay men.

12. You can always tell if someone is a closet homosexual. They tend to be extremely homophobic!

1. And conversely those super out gay are more likely to be misogynist or misandrists

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:44pm

….
        …exactly how could one who loves men and is prepared to admit it, could be perceived to be misandrist.
        Misandry is more likely to be a trait of the ashamed homophobic closet case who sees men as a threat to his secrecy and a reminder always of the true nature he is hiding.

1. perhaps James was referring to the stereotypical “men-hating lesbians” rather than misandrist gay men

2. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 9:06pm

great job perpetuating stereotypes, James

2. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:12pm

@Mal…..
      …..Hear, Hear!!

13. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 12:48pm

I think it is the worst kind of homophobia not to come out, because you are actually saying you are ashamed of what you are and that being Gay is something that should be hidden.What you end up with is people talking behind your back and Chinese whispers. A lot of distrust also goes along with staying in the closet. So yes i agree wholeheartedly. Come out asap.

14. It’s MSNBC not MSMBC.

15. I know of a few people who are not out, and yet see no need to come out.
    They are totally secure in their own sexualtiy and see no need to broadcast, nor indeed explain their sexuality to no-one.
    Again, it is up to the individual if they wish to choose to come out.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 3:01pm

Exactly, different people will choose different ways to express who they are and they have every right to do so.

Fact
      Some people like myself are out and proud but I don’t feel the need to tell everyone. For me though it’s not a big deal, I can’t change who I am neither would I want to.
      Fact
      Some people will scream it from the rooftops day in and day out.
      Fact
      Some people don’t see the reason to be defined as Gay nor shouting it to all but are just happy and comfortable about themselves, being private.
      Fact
      Some people….

The list goes one and so long as they don’t harm us it’s their life to live as they choose.

2. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:21pm

@Andy……
      …..sometimes it’s not all about ones self but the greater good. No-one who is in the closet is totally secure in anything nevermind their sexuality, because like it or not they are always in fear of being found out. It is either that or a lifetime of enforced celibacy…or worse a sordid lifetime of scurrying furtively in and out of cottages and darkrooms.

16. Firstly, it’s MSNBC, MSMBC. Okay, so I’m a bit obsessive about grammar. Sorry.

I only just recently started watching Maddow. I love her. You don’t normally find women as fierce as her in everyday life, not to mention her own opinion show.

I encourage the “coming out” thing. Especially now in America’s history, where everything is falling apart. We need a LOT more liberals in the field. I would love to see more peeps like her come into play.

17. Jock, it is a lie when someone of such prominence in the media who happens to be gay doesn’t speak up when there is injustice, discrimination and bullying against gay people. Their silence condones and promotes it.

By the way, Christopher Brocklebank, Rachel Maddow also received a Ph.D. from Oxford as a Rhodes scholar. She currently works for MSNBC, not MSMBC. I’ve seen her on t.v. when I visited New York recently. She is arguably one of the most erudite comentators in American t.v. news and one of the most knowledgeable for someone so young, a very bright young woman indeed who does her homework and research when it comes to commenting on practically anything controversial.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 3:08pm

Ok but not being funny but just because someone chooses to keep their sexuality private doesn’t mean they don’t speak up when there is injustice, discrimination and bullying against Gay people. They can perfectly well speak out without having to out themselves. We’re just assuming that because someone chooses to be private they are ashamed and that doesn’t ring true.

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:32pm

…….
        …..except the they rarely if ever do speak out because the things that define the closeted queer is that they are intrinsically selfish cowards and more importantly, homophobic. Oh they will make all sorts of weak excuses about privacy bollox and it being their choice but it is still homophobic shame and it makes those of us who make excuses for them no better.

18. Chutneybear, straights don’t have to shout out their orientation because they come into this world without being discriminated against, they take their equality for granted just because they happen to be the majority. However, they do broadcast their sexual orientation when they publicly display acts of affection, even snogging, yet when we do it, we’re accused of shoving ours down their throats. Its a double standard and an hypocritical albeit bigoted one at that.

By the way, there are NO written privacy laws in English law. In America and elsewhere, there is.

1. Chutneybear 26 Apr 2011, 1:53pm

We should just do the same, we dont need to tell people we are gay just act like our straight counterparts do and we act likewise with our partners. The sooner there is a normalisation of homosexuality, the better it is for all of us. Having to come out to people who need to know is fair enough but telling the public is another thing. Let people live their lives, no one else needs to interfere

2. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 3:14pm

Robert

Unless of course you a woman or black… Sadly like us both are still discriminated against even if they are straight.
      I agree about the double standard but whilst some of that may be down to homophobia some of it too is down to prudes who hate seeing affection in public.
      Gay people can be just as much prudes as we have seen here about 2 men kissing in a bar shock horror but mass coming out of the media brigade won’t change that.

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:43pm

….
        ….However those who are out should remember that that is not a licence to act like idiots and expect to be allowed to carryon like rutting deer in public and straight establishments. So many young out gay people today act like they are at one never ending orgy and do the Gay Equality Movement no favours. Unfortunately a lot of them are strangers to manners and regard for other people and are hedonistic boors and no amount of advive to tone it down will get through to them. Lack of education seems to be a big factor in this group who have through they loudness become the face of the modern gay man, which is of course entirely false.

19. Rachel Maddow is incredible – one of the breed of out and powerful lesbians that I feel I can be truly proud of. Not only is she out, but she is liberal, educated, fiercely intelligent and hated by the GOP. Which makes her my hero.

Now, I accept and understand that the reason that I am free to come out of the closet is because other people came before and paved the way. I am just an ordinary citizen, no one knows my name or cares who I am. But when put together with thousands of other ordinary Joes and Janes, we are powerful together, we are listened to together and we are safer together.

I would hope that anyone who can safely do so would come out with us and stand up. Because of those who stood up for us, fought for our lives and freedoms in the UK, I think that the least we can do is be true and authentic to ourselves. No one says you have to have a parade or put an ad in the paper. Just stop hiding and stand with us. Closets are for clothes, not people.

20. IMHO – If you stay in the closet and “mind your own business”, you are doing harm to the LGTB community. Straight society will never stop seeing homosexuality as shameful until the ones in hiding stop acting as if it is. By staying hidden, it tells the straight folk that ‘yeah, you’re right. What I am is too shameful to admit’. People will ultimately treat you the way you tell them to.

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:45pm

@Karyn…
      …. Bravo, excellent comment and so true.

2. Spanner1960 27 Apr 2011, 12:14am

WHAT “community”?
      And what the fcuk have they ever done for me?
      Some of us just don’t place the importance on or sexuality like others do.
      By staying hidden it says “I really don’t give a toss about anyone else and I will lead my life the way I choose, and not what lefty tossers like you expect me to.”

It has nothing to do with shame and everything to do with personal identity.

1. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 9:11pm

You don’t think you owe your community anything? Does that mean you refuse to pay taxes too?

21. Harvey Milk more than 30 years ago said we should be out and proud, to make it harder for people to be bigoted when they knew people who were LGBTQIA.

Rachel is openly and proudly lesbian, and openly and proudly a geek, and openly and proudly a liberal. She’s saying that being in the closet hurts both the person in the Closet and the rest of us. (Being Liberal, and Being a Geek are also prejudiced things on American TV)

Also I’ve got to say, she’s way hotter than anyone else on TV :)

1. Spanner1960 27 Apr 2011, 12:15am

Yeah, and Harvey Milk got shot because he identified himself as gay.
      Not everyone wishes to put their balls on the block.

1. FeministSmithie 27 Apr 2011, 9:11pm

Selfish cowards. We all have the duty to sacrifice what we can.

1. There is no shame in not wanting to be persecuted. Encouragement for those who are afraid to come out, or are not yet ready, is the answer, not calling them selfish cowards. Get off your high horse and show some bloody compassion.

2. Jock S. Trap 1 May 2011, 8:45am

That a bit of a crap statement Feminist….
          It’s all about choice but sacrifice? Don’t be darfed.
          You don’t ‘scarifice’ anything by being who we are.

22. Harvey Milk more than 30 years ago said we should be out and proud, to make it harder for people to be bigoted when they knew people who were LGBTQIA.

Also I’ve got to say, she’s way hotter than anyone else on TV :)

(as an aside if people do want to stay in the closet, that’s their business, PROVIDED in their closet they are not homophobic)

1. Oops, duplicate comment

2. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 8:51pm

@Gemma…
      ….I have lost count of the number of straight people who have told me that their impression of Gay people has changed completely since meeting me and by me not being afraid to say I’m Gay. Queers in the closet stay exactly that, “Queers in the closet” and usually they are well known to be Gay by everyone but ashamed to admit it and so are not trusted or considered anything but cowards.

23. I can’t reply in line but well said jock. The only person you have to come out to is yourself. Ian this solidarity and lineration you speak of is a load of boll0cks. I came out and didn’t prepare myself for the casual racism I encountered. After all the crap I went through growing up it was the last thing I expected for my gay comrades.

1. Yes, but James!, I think Rachel Maddow is saying that it’s desirable gay men and women in her industry come out, as examples and, I suppose, role models. That is, people who have chosen to be in the public eye to some extent, and who should be reasonably aware of what being in the public eye entails and have the skills to deal with it.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Apr 2011, 4:07pm

Sorry but being in the public eye still entitles you to have some parts of your life staying in private. In fact for some people it’s more important to have that privacy. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be in the public eye it just says they are human.

2. Rehan. It’s telly, the best people are not on telly they’re nurses doctors teachers. Doers not talkers. She might be lovely but she comes across as self righteous and should mind her own business I agree with jock too.

1. But James! – whether she’s a talker rather than a doer is niot quite the point, she’s talking about people in her field, ie other talkers. And I have to say I agree.

In passing, I rather admire doctors, teachers and nurses who’re out too, but that’s just me.

24. Why the hell should anyone feel the need to come out of they don’t want to. None of my straight male mates beat a path to my door saying they loved sh@gging women. Maddow should leave the witch-hunting attitude back in the 1950s when her country was obsessed with outing the ‘reds’.

1. None of my straight male mates beat a path to my door saying they loved sh@gging women.

Oh come on CMYB, that’s hardly an argument! Your ‘straight mates’ don’t need to say that because everyone expects that of them. People aren’t going to understand that there’s more to life than the conventional and the ordinary unless people make a point of making it clear that the obvious pattern isn’t the only one!

25. For some people coming out is easier said than done. In some cases it involves estrangement from their family, joblessness and homelessness.

People should come out ONLY when they are ready to do so, and shouldn’t be harassed to do so by the rest of the LGBT community.

The world has no more or less of a right to know our sexual orientation. Whether people know or not, simply coming out won’t necessarily help the LGBT cause.

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Apr 2011, 12:47pm

Excellent point Paul.
      Exactly!
      If anyone wants to go round branding people cowards then prehaps brand those in society who do the discriminating.

26. Depends where you live. For many people, coming out to the world would mean donating blood for pavement art.

If your world is fine and all is well, then whoopie for you. It’s not the case for everyone.

1. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:11pm

@RedDevil…
      …..and while these self hating homphobic shame ridden cowards remain selfishly in the closet that’s how it will be. If GLBs are ever to become mainstream everyday life, and not always be on the hind foot, constantly fighting for our rights an “donating blood for pavement art” as you so colourfully put it , everyone who is gay simply must say so.

1. You obviously live in a nice area. I don’t. I’m also out. I’ve had the police out more times than I can remember because of homophobic attacks. I used to live in a rough area full of brain-dead idiots OK. Don’t lecture me or anyone who’s seen the worst scum on earth and what they’ll do to people like us given half the chance.

If people want to stay in or keep their sexuality among friends and family and not tell EVERYONE, that’s their choice. No-one has the right to force them to tell the word. That’s what this woman is asking.

2. Try living on Aylesbury Estate in London and being out and proud, see how long you live. Do not lecture people who have no means of protection in areas controlled by gangs to come out.

I guarantee this women will live in a nice respectable area and will have her own transport. Life is not like that for people in estates in London, where gangs rule the land. She’d be fodder there.

Come back when you know what the hell you’re talking about. You’re lost in a fluffy rainbow cloud of acceptance somewhere. Good for you. Take a few less Es yeah? Move to a run down estate controlled by gang warfare. Good luck. Idiot.

1. Paddyswurds 27 Apr 2011, 12:07am

@RedDevil….
          …Lets get one thing out of the way right away…I don’t take drugs and i don’t drink alcohol.
          Ayelsbury Estate. I wouldn’t allow my dog live there. Why don’t you just move. To another area , to another city …. just move and leave the Aylesbury Estate to the thugs and low lifes. And i don’t want to hear excuses about the reasons you think keeps you from moving. It’s easy really just pack up and go. There are only two certanties in life that cannot change Taxes and death, everything else is up for grabs so just go for it Sis.

1. I don’t live on Ayelsbury, that was just an example of a rough estate without saying where I am. But I did live on a rough one before, got a move in the end but it took a long time. Moving can be very difficult if someone can only afford social housing. Not all housing areas help gay people. Not on the list etc for moving to a different area. Once you’re a victim of abuse, moving within the same area isn’t good enough. Usually only battered wives and racial abuse is on the list for points to move to different areas. Homophobia isn’t on the list for points to move to a different council area so can take longer. You can get points within the same dump of an area, but why move within the same dump.

I was just highlighting that not everyone can or would want to come out in certain areas, that’s all. I’ve always been out though.

The woman on here can probably live wherever she likes. So can get away from scum and lowlifes. Not everyone can.

27. It’s a persons responsibility to be true to themselves. She should realise you don’t have to come out and do things just to make other people happy.

It is arrogance. Harvey milk applied the same tactics to show people you all know one of us. Yes that works but people need to be happy to do it not pushed.

1. It’s a persons responsibility to be true to themselves

Absolutely. And, ideally, to prevent others from assuming you’re heterosexual when you’re not.

28. You forgot to mention that Rachel Maddow has a doctorate from Oxford University. Nor is Rachel just a newsreader. She is the host of her own program, generally focused on politics. Nor it is just women, gay or straight, who watch her program. This article was not very well written.

29. She is wrong!

1. Not half as much as you are.

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Apr 2011, 8:52am

LOL, ain’t that the truth!!

30. The Guardian article was a total hatchet job. The point of the section about people in the same industry having an obligation to come out seems to be a not very guarded dig at Anderson Cooper by the writer of the article rather than an attempt to see what Rachel thinks about coming out.

Rachel has always said that she is against outing people unless they are actively harming the gay community (think Ted Haggard). She has also always said essentially that there is strength in numbers, the more people come out, the easier it is for the next generation and also to effect change now.

I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with either belief, nor the belief that it’s up to each and every one of us to come out if and when we’re ready.

She is not trying to force anyone to come out.

31. Paddyswurds 1 May 2011, 7:42pm

….
    ….However those who are out should remember that that is not a license to act like idiots and expect to be allowed to carry-on like rutting deer in public and straight establishments. So many young out gay people today act like they are at one never ending orgy and do the Gay Equality Movement no favors. Unfortunately a lot of them are strangers to manners and regard for other people and are hedonistic boors and no amount of advice to tone it down will get through to them. Lack of education seems to be a big factor in this group who have, through their loudness, become the face of the modern gay man, which is of course entirely false.

32. Jessiepeace 10 Sep 2011, 11:26pm

People obviously cannot be pushed to come out but I think the point she is trying to make is that if more people in the public eye come out the more it is going to become normal and not a huge deal and isn’t that what we want?

She is saying that celebrities who people look up to and admire should come out because they have a responsibility to show young people and even adults that it is ok to gay.

Jessie.

33. Mary Flying Eagle 17 Sep 2011, 12:29am

Rachel Maddow, News Anchor/T.V Journlist/News Reporter, tops in her field, a lesbian/gay role model for anyone seeking example of “Yes, We Can”. Thank you Rachel.
    It would be my prayer that all could feel free to step/jog out of the closet/prison.However I feel Bigotry is a christian based push into a very unnessary war againest lesbian/gay peoples of this earth.The sin is in their, house not ours. UNTIL There is separation of church and State,this warped, insane danger will continue. continue.For those who do escape, confines of closet, you just may have helped save many lives.
    I am a lesbian warrior for lesbian/gay freedom/right’s battles, during,50s,60s,70s,80s and 90s. The bigots,2011 still waging war, Cowards, hidden in the cloaks of so called, christian values. Let us reak revenge on the all, by “Living Well”. Bless our youth and elders,for they are the the hardest hit.