Updated: Lesbian couple sue Brighton hotel

1. I have no problem with them suing for the loss of their break.

1. How is it for monetary gain? They’re young and I would be moritifed if a manager started shouting at me in an aggressive manner. They’re hurt and I fully agree they should sue the sod for all he’s bloody worth.

Why oh why do these nutsjobs keep thinking they’ll get away with it?

1. Completely agree – there has to be some way of punishing these hotels. It is really shocking that this happened (if it did happen) in Brighton of all places. Good for this couple and for Liberty for standing up for gay rights.

2. No doormat 21 Apr 2011, 4:26pm

Really? So what would be your reason for suing them? Losing the booking is the least I would worry about. We have to hit these people where it hurts and that is in their pockets!

3. Why shouldn’t they be compensated for the ghastly distress they were put through? If they were physically injured they would be compensated and this kind of emotional trauma is just as damaging.

4. Monetary gain? oh please. I can’t take some of the imbeciles that leave comments on this site. This has happened to me and my partner so much in the UK at various places. It’s embarrassing, degrading and bigoted, and that sucks. They should close the place down, never mind sue for distress.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:10am

And hotels, B&Bs etc can no long be allowed to get away with being discriminating.

Only those who have equalty fail to see the need for the Equality Act.

5. Charles wrote

“If they are suing for distress or how they felt, it becomes about monetary gain and that sucks.”

Charles, I think you are some what, missing the point,
      It’s Homophobia that sucks!!!

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:11am

Exactly. Some people may moan about what LGBT people are going through but in short we can only make a difference if those discriminated against stand up and be counted.

6. This story is mainly a fabrication by the lesbian couple. There are witnesses who will testify that the women were behaving aggressively when it was explained that they didn’t have a booking confirmation.

1. Changetheworld 22 Apr 2011, 2:06am

Gill, witnesses? Then why has no one come forward?
        It is quite clear that the hotelier acted inappropriately. The girls have pledged to give their winnings to charity, supporting gay rights is COSTING this couple, both emotionally and financially.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:14am

Indeed. Even though the hotel did act inappropiately some will go out of their way to prove it was the Lesbian’s fault. Just like a bar, a kiss and a landlady. Regardless of the fact people weren’t their they will make up the wild accusations when in fact knowing nothing.

Discrimination sucks and should be stamped out.

2. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 11:45am

@Gill….
        …….interesting that it is a woman who is casting doubt and aspersions on this gay couple. I am seeing this more and more, women eevn trans women who are rabidly homophobic. Why is this. I started to notice this lately that if there is homophobic taunts in the street, men on their own have no problem but when they are with females, usually it is the women/girls start it and the men are bullied by them into joining in with the abuse. I have been told this is often the case by straight men (when they are alone obv.) as well and they feel bullied because they will be accused of being gay by the women if they don’t join the abuse. Fortunately it has never happened me personally but i have witnessed it.

1. @paddyswurds, How is it interesting that a woman made this comment. I can’t see how that has any significance at all. Your reply sounds very bigoted, sexist and pisses off 50% of the population. Even worst is that each time a gay man makes these kind of assumptions (I assume you are gay), then the more anti-gay that community will become.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 10:26pm

@Nicola…
            ….that is my experience. And it was a woman who made the bitchy remark about the two girls. I have witnessed more homophobia from women than ever i have seen from straight men How is that bigoted.?? It is fact. Trans women are really the worst yet trans men are like live and let live. Explain or discuss Dont just call me bigoted without saying why you think that is. Pot kettle and black come to mind with your silly comment.

2. I can’t see I share Paddy’s experience. In fact, I’ve encountered very little homophobia from either sex in my adult life. Lukcy me, eh?

Is Paddy bigoted for saying this? If he’s just mentioning his personal experience and wondering if it’s shared (and, if so, what’s going on), then no. If he’s assuming that his personal experience of a few women means that women in general are more homophobic than men, then possibly. I can’t say I’m terribly impressed when people think gay men are tarts because they’ve met a couple of promiscuous gay men.

Still, if women are generally more homophobic than men, it’s odd that, according to the latest poll (I will find it if pressed), far more women than men approve of marriage equality.

3. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 2:08pm

Rachel

I agree. All the homophobia I have experienced has been men. Women are far more accepting. A lot of women like having Gay male friends because it makes them feel safer. Women in general are fair more accepting although as time goes by more and more men are too.

I have to say if Paddys… is as rude to people as he is in here then I think that explains why he feels they are being unpleasant to him.

4. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 2:28pm

@JST…
            …. again you deliberately misquote me or just plain didn’t read my post properly. I never said it happened to me…. i witnessed it happen to others. read the bloody post before you make silly comments like that.

2. Gill doesn’t have to be woman…PN doesn’t check your gender when you use any name…I’ve got my suspicions that the same person is posting here over and over again under different names to try to trash these people….

3. I live near the hotel, and went to find out what was going on, because I’ve known may gay couples who’ve spent time there. It just didn’t make sense. From what I gather, English was not the first language of the manager on duty, and he perhaps declared insensitively that they should leave because they didn’t have reservations. The women then became flustered and asked if it was “because we’re women”, and the manager replied “No to women, no to men”. This was interpreted by the women as “No TWO women, no TWO men”, who then completely lost their temper and started shouting at the manager. And a very hassled manager demanded them to get out. So, there was a misunderstanding, a lack of patience, perhaps a lack of tact in customer service. But certainly not discrimination.

As for your comments Paddywurds…I have been reading some of your (many) other posts, and I worry about the amount of anger and negativity that you consistently stir.

7. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 11:54am

@charles….
      ….what would be the point of suing if there wasn’t a monetary sanction?. The only way these hotels will learn any lesson is if they are hit and hit hard in the pocket where it will hurt most. I don’t however agree that they should be shut down, because innocent people will then suffer when they lose their jobs. Sack the manager by all means, indeed sue him too so he learns that GLBs aren’t to be trifeled with. In Brighton of all places…Gay Central!!

2. I’m stunned that this happened in Brighton, of all places. This manager must be a mentalist. I hope the couple take the hotel to the cleaners.

3. Sue the bastard, shut him down if necessary! Let him become the reject which is what he is, not these two women.

4. musclelad23 21 Apr 2011, 4:24pm

I wait with baited breath for paddy and William to come on here and defend the hotel owner’s right to discriminate or dispute the story. Self hating homos are so predictable.

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 4:26pm

Yeah, me too.

1. Me three

2. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 12:07pm

@musclelad23…
      …..there is a clear distinction here. The two queens who were ejected from the straight pub in Soho were asked quietly to cool their ardour on three occasions after a complaint was made about their inappropriate behaviour. They carried on and then chose to confront the management and caused a scene after which they were ejected and rightly so. They were ejected for making a scene not because they were Gay
      The young couple checking into a Brighton hotel were refused a room because they were Gay. No contfrontation, no scene just stood at reception attempting to avail of goods and services as was their right under law, and the manager chose to homophobically reject them. Two totally different scenarios so i fail to see why you would expect me to support the Hotel.

1. @Paddyswurds

So by an amazing coincidence you just happened to be an eyewitness at the John Snow and then at the Brunswick Square Hotel when these events took place?

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 7:37pm

@Gerry…….

…………………..;-))

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 6:42am

Yep, certainly is amazing Gerry. All the way frrom Ireland too. What a busy person.

It’s hard to witness things from your PC seat though, I would have thought…. In Ireland.

3. You didn’t have to wait long…..here goes Paddys. ffs….

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 8:01pm

@CMYB….
        …..i have a good a right to comment as anyone else. Pity you cant make valid comments instead of the combative drivel you usually post…Fcuk off and get a life creep!!

5. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 4:25pm

Sue them.This is 2011 and This is in Brighton for pity’s sake.

It’s ridiculous. I’m all for a big pay out and close these places down. These people and places surely have no place in 2011.

As for being called reject, it’s just pathetic and why I feel a massive pay out is worthy.

They need to be shown they are not acceptable.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 12:12pm

@JST….
      ….sue yes but close them down?….what about the rest of the Hotels employees…why punish them?
      I’m sure they weren’t all lined up at reception supporting the homophobic manager.Sack him by all means but don’t put innocent people on the dole because of his homophobia……

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 12:23pm

Ark at Mr Jackall pretending he’s all heart. Think I’ve seen your Mr Hyde to much to believe it.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 12:57pm

@JST…
          ……Who made you arbiter of altruism, pray?

2. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 3:57pm

JST””
          …….
          ….. Its hark at Mr Jekyll ……read some books and spend less time shouting the odds on here. A good start would be The Concise Oxford Dictionary.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 6:42am

Tell it to someone who cares.

6. Rejects? That manager is one nasty little c–t. Looks like its open season with gay baiting at the moment, the UK seems to be getting worse. Facebook activism round 2 on the cards?

7. Do you reckon they could also sue the manager for abuse of the english language: “No two boys, no two girls. We don’t have any rooms.” I mean really, if you are going to be homophobic at least do it so other carbon based life forms can understand you.

This manager sounds like a nasty old bigot.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 12:16pm

@Scott…
      ……”at least do it so other carbon based life forms can understand you. ”
      I was unaware that there are life forms that aren’t carbon based, as your comment would seem to suggest….lol

8. It’s really sad that it STILL happens in 2011 – I’m “only” 47 but in my younger day when we booked at B&B’s or hotels we often had the oh we’ve booked you in a double room – is that ok? response at reception – – and twice we were told an error had been made and they had no rooms, so sometimes we booked in seperately to save embarrassment!

This is why we still need laws to protect us, and yes, sue them for all they’ve got, sack the ‘manager’ and compensate the girls financially – otherwise it will be a green light for this to happen for years to come!

9. Dave North 21 Apr 2011, 4:48pm

I think the couple were lucky not to have staid there.

This “Hotel” only gets a 53% rating in tripadvisor.

Some of the comments are hysterical.

Sue until the pips squeak I say

1. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:25pm

….
      ………….stayed ** even

1. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:25pm

stayed ** even

1. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:26pm

stayed**….

10. I cant believe they are the first same sex couple to book this hotel in Brighton. Seems odd to me……..

11. Would it not make more sense that the manager said “No to boys, no to girls”? I mean.. grammatically anyway. If he’s being misquoted it may be that they were genuinely booked up and he was saying that regardless of their genders there was no space. I know they say they’ve made a booking but has that even been verified? Do they have a booking number or anything? Maybe they just checked if a room was free a few days earlier or something – I’ve done that before and maybe they thought that was a ‘booking’?

I dunno – just “no two boys, no two girls” seems a very strange phrase, makes me wonder if there’s not some misunderstanding going on here. I guess PinkNews did try to get a comment, shame for them that they weren’t available right away – until there’s a bit more solid info from either party this story feels very one sided.

1. PumpkinPie 21 Apr 2011, 6:41pm

I agree that it all seems a little strange. Either the manager’s a bigot, or the women are libellous opportunists. It’s kind of hard to tell what’s what right now. I’d suggest we all wait for more details to emerge before casting judgement.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:36am

I’m sick of people jumping to make LGBT people the problem.

Go to the website of the hotel and look at the comments, you will see a large majority have pinpointed how unpleasant the manager is and the problems that have been cause because of it. Thats the large majority of Straight couple and groups as well as individuals.

1. Not sure how you got that from my post… I’m just saying we don’t have much info at the moment, that’s all. Even if the manager’s a jackass, that doesn’t mean he’s necessarily a homophobic jackass.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 6:44am

But this is a comment page and we are allowed to have an opinion right? ;)

I’m sure when the court case comes they’ll disable comments…. or not

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 6:46am

I wouldn’t have thought Liberty would have taken on the case if they thought they we wrong and going to lose.

If by some chance they do come out of this wrong then I will comment on that side of things. Until then though…

2. I think Liberty have better thngs to do than just pandering to 2 lesbians, if they’ve taken up the case then there is some reason for it…..I’m pleasantly suprised that people are suspicious about the story and don’t quite believe that a manager of an hotel would turn away 2 lesbians but honestly do you really think this is a one off…I suspect most of us just give in and go to another hotel or the manger just makes up a story that the hotel is full just to get rid of us…..personally I find the whole story very believable….my worry is that, without a booking, an hotel will just cotton on to what we are and simply discriminate against us by making up a story and there will be nothing we can do to prove that we were discriminated against..

3. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 12:20pm

@Jossu…
      …it’s doubtful that Liberty would have got involved if the case was as flimsy as you make it seem, and at six months hence it is hardly a snap judgement. It’s not exactly an American opportunist jumping on the bandwagon.

12. The ring of truth is silent in this story. They sound like opportunists to me.

1. agreed

1. yeah sounds like another set up.the two in cornwall have not won £3600 yet because there is an appeal.

1. the other ones sound true, and i don’t think a so called ‘set up’ is necessarily a bad thing anyway – after all you can’t catch people in the act of discriminating unless they actually are people who discriminate – and thats illegal

this one just doesn’t have that ring of truth

13. This is england2011, you get chucked outta of a bar for a kiss and banned from hotel for being a lesbian , in hyped up alleged tolerant areas. Where is the progression with lgbt equality? seems there is a pattern of regression.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:39am

Unfortunately we have to give progress a helping hand. Of course that means some Straights will fight against it, kicking and screaming but they have to accept they longer have valid arguements esp when it comes to homophobia.

2. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 12:24pm

wrong …you get chucked out of a bar for being an idiot and causing a scene. There will be even less equality if queens cause agitation for no reason.
      This couple were discriminated against for being Gay, not for causing a drunken queenie hissy fit.!!

1. Commander Thor 22 Apr 2011, 5:27pm

Yeah, the Stonewall riots didn’t do any good afterall. Oh wait…

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 7:44pm

@Thor….
          ………Oh wait……..you didn’t read the comment.The Stonewall riots were for a cause …Equality.
          The John Snow incident was a couple of drunken queens getting carried away and causing a scene because they had no manners.
          Oh wait….. such comparisons!!

1. Commander Thor 23 Apr 2011, 8:14am

@Paddy, please remove your head from your behind when I’m talking to you: I did read the comment.

They were chucked out because some people still find it disgusting when gay people kiss, but this rule doesn’t apply to heterosexual people. Every couple has the right to be affectionate whether in public or in private. The only people who don’t want this are bitter closeted single gay people or stupid heterosexual people who nobody wants to date.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 8:31am

Actually Commander Thor, it was only one woman who complained, it wasn’t bothering anyone else.

2. Commander Thor 23 Apr 2011, 3:11pm

Believe me Jock, he read the whole post. He even understood it. Immediately after, his mind blocks what he just understood and replaces it with the original crap he started out with. I have debated with about a dozen nutters on various matters over the last few years – on religion, evolution, gay rights, etc. In each case, they behave in an absolutely identical fashion: they have no regards whatsoever for the concepts of “burden of proof” or “burden of rejoinder”. Their minds fail completely at dealing with the real world, so they have to make up an imaginary world where things are simple and they can repeat their bullcarp without fear of facing reality.

1. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 7:44pm

@….thor…
            …except of course on the very rare occasions when i agree with your claptrap.

2. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 7:46pm

3. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:28pm

so now you are psychologist……prententious w*nker.

4. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:29pm

pretentious **…obv

2. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 9:35am

….and still you conveniently ignore the fact they caused a scene before being thrown out…why i wonder??

1. Commander Thor 23 Apr 2011, 11:04am

Yes I ignored it because they didn’t. A bunch of homophobes caused a scene because two gay men kissed and then threw them out. A black couple going into a ‘white only’ restaurant could also be said to be “causing a scene before being thrown out”. The fact is, neither couple caused a scene.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 12:18pm

Thank you, couldn’t have put it better, Commander Thor.

2. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 1:23pm

I didn’t say the two girls caused a scene as you would have seen from other comments i made on this thread. I support them until i am proven wrong.The two in the pub had a petulant hissy fit when they were asked to cool their ardour and caused a scene…..those are the facts I know you will ignore that as it doesn’t fit your agenda. What the two black people have to do wiith this is beyond me except to highlight your racism on top of everything else.

3. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 1:28pm

As usual Commander Thor, he’s just proven he doesn’t read comments.

2. Commander Thor 23 Apr 2011, 3:11pm

I meant to post under this:

1. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 7:48pm

@….thor…
            …except of course on the very rare occasions when i agree with your claptrap.
            8 How i wonder will you deal with the revelations of Gill above. I can hardly wait……….it’s a wonder American superman Shetlar isn’t on the case, stirring up the shyte….

2. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:32pm

so now your setting out your stall as the psychologist of PN. Pretentious w*nker!!

3. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 6:48am

Blimey you really are vile ain’t ya and you wonder why you have problems relating to people on the ouitside.

4. Commander Thor 24 Apr 2011, 10:17am

Now, now, calm down Paddy, there, be a good man! Now swallow your pills and obey the nurse!

14. There is a simple way to deal with this hotel – spread the word that no-one should stay there. Use the power of the internet and the power of the people to force it out of business.

15. I think everybody is jumping the gun a little. Surely its best to wait for all the details before judging said manager harshly, after all it is still just unsubstantiated claims. Also being that its in Brighton and they have already said that they have many gay couples during pride weekend, I am dubious about whether this is a completely accurate portrayal of what actually happened.

1. I agree partially, remember there’s a homophobic pub in Soho though so the location doesn’t always mean anything in a case like this.

1. Yeah, fair point. I still don’t think it all adds up, and like you’ve said if what the two women have said is true then I wish them all the luck in the world with their case.

2. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:34pm

….turns out you may be right Dan….

16. I don’t think this ones an open and shut case like the last.
    It seems a bit off.

If i’m wrong then i hope these two women win this, on the other hand it won’t do any of us any favours if they made this up and the hotel owner was right.

I know myself from what i do that customers can sometimes think they ordered something and in fact only had a quote rather than an order.
    I hope this sorts itself out without legal action.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:41am

I suppose there is truth in that but it’s not helped by comments on the hotel page sounding out how unpleasant the customers find the manager.

Maybe they need to look at a new manager if they wish to keep business. Oh and by the sound of it a refurbishment.

17. Can this part of the article be changed please:

Earlier this year, Steve Preddy and Martyn Hall won £3,600 in compensation after successfully suing a Christian-run Cornwall hotel for refusing them a room.

It’s factually incorrect. It should read:

Earlier this year, Steve Preddy and Martyn Hall won £3,600 in compensation after successfully suing a Christian-run Cornwall hotel for refusing them a double room.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 1:03pm

@Adam……….hardy relevant. A room could mean a double or single and they weren’t offered any room, double or single.

18. Looking at the updated version of this story, I hope we’re not entering a phase where loudmouth opportunists are playing the gay card rather than take responsibility for their own bad behaviour. The more they know that a gay rent-a-mob will kick up a fuss before knowing the truth of a story, the more chancres will exploit the situation.

1. “chancers” I meant!

19. More people jumping on the band-waggon, money grabbing scum.

This equality act has a lot to answer for. The Act should be repealed in its entirety.

The Equality Act should remaned ‘The Gay Act’ as it seems to be mainly homosexuals using it for personal gain.

1. musclelad23 22 Apr 2011, 7:34am

No thanks, we don’t it want it repealed. If it was repealed nasty pieces of work like you would have the right to throw us out of restaurants, bars, hotels, clubs and shops under whatever whim you had.

Face it mate, your a dinosaur now.

2. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:44am

If you think it’s just about retecting the LGBT community then your very mistaken. It protects everyone equally. We are not second class citizens we are human beings oddly enough just like you.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 8:31am

correction

That was mean to read “..about protecting the LGBT…”

3. I like the way anti-equality people like Sean come here and abuse the open door policy of the Pink News forum when if you go to one of their anti-equality sites like The Christian Institute there is no option of leaving a critical comment they are so totally determined to stage manage and control their bigoted propaganda and mostly to stop people from thinking.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 8:33am

Oh yesm Pavlos, agree with that. Funny how they can happily come here yet we cannot comment on those sites.

2. Some of those websites do allow comments but only after “awaiting moderation”…. strangely enough they sometimes often never seem to get very far after that…

4. The Equality Act absolutely should not be abolished.
      It should simply not be exploited.

The fact that Sean refers to ‘homosexuals’s on Pink News indicates that he is a Daily Mail reader who wants the ‘right to put a ‘No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs’ sign in his window.

Typical Daily Mail reader

1. You are homosexuals, what else would you describe yourself as? As gay means happy and joyful, the correct term is homosexual.

1. @ Sean: bless. You seem to have forgotten which century we’re in – even in the 1990s the OED listed ‘homosexual’ as one of the meanings of gay.

If you think really, really hard you might even be able to come up with a few other English words that have multiple meanings. A few dozen, that is (try set for starters).

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 8:56am

Sean

I am a very proud out Gay man. I am in a loving committed relationship with my partner of now 18 years. He is my life partner as well as my soulmate. When marriage is finally Equal I will marry him.

If you don’t like that well then really all I have to say to you is… Tough! Get used to it.

3. de Villiers 26 Apr 2011, 10:10pm

Sean,

I could correct each and every post on this board on the basis of the original latin meaning of English words that now mean something else.

Your stale interpretation of the word gay is contrary to reality.

5. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 1:08pm

@Sean….
      …just like your parents are scum for inflicting uneducated filth like you on an unsespecting world. Go read your evil Abrahamic fiction and stop trolling a gay website. Shouldn’t you be rejoicing the murder of an innocent man today. Supposedly.

20. fedupofthis 22 Apr 2011, 1:51am

The Daily Mail reports that the guest house owner is someone called Nasser Dean. No idea why PN could not obtain that information.

21. I doubt whether Liberty would be taking them on as clients if they weren’t satisfied that there was discrimination here. I’ve got to believe these girls , I’m sure Liberty has quizzed them. Good luck and sue them, this why we have the equality act and it’s not there for just gay people but unfortunately we are the ones who still have to use this act to stop this type discrimination…There is no dispute here that they were denied a room and had to return home…the hotel isn’t claiming they were full up and for some reason a dispute developed…the only defence is that these girls behaved badly but WHY would they?

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 7:45am

Yes, I agree with that. Liberty don’t taken on cases lightly.

22. Just another example of the rampant homophobia of British society on a daily basis.

We really have no right to be so smug against other countries when we have these problems still to resolve.

23. Dan Filson 22 Apr 2011, 9:22am

If indeed this business has had plenty of same sex couples during Pride (and outside Pride too – I wouldn’t want them only to be ‘gay-friendly’ when it’s really lucrative), no doubt their records will show this when produced in court, and these customers will step forward to testify as to their friendly treatment etc. It is a bit silly to turn up in Brighton without a booking confirmation – Hotel and B&B occupancy rates can soar to 100% at the flick of the sun-switch. I’m curious how Gill knows there were witnesses who will testify the women were behaving aggressively. Is this based on another newspaper report or was Gill there?

1. Well said.. someone with a sensible view at last.

2. I live near the hotel, and went to find out what was going on, because I’ve known may gay couples who’ve spent time there. It just didn’t make sense. From what I gather, English was not the first language of the manager on duty, and he perhaps declared insensitively that they should leave because they didn’t have reservations. The women then became flustered and asked if it was “because we’re women”, and the manager replied “No to women, no to men”. This was interpreted by the women as “No TWO women, no TWO men”, who then completely lost their temper and started shouting at the manager. And a very hassled manager demanded them to get out. So, there was a misunderstanding, a lack of patience, perhaps a lack of tact in customer service. But certainly not discrimination.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 6:51am

I’m sure if that was the case Liberty wouldn’t be touching this case with a barge pole!

2. Gill – I truly don’t understand why you would do this. Isn’t this something that hapenned back in Oct of last year and now suddendly after a pretty brief report in the papers you went to the hotel and personally interviewed people about the case…why, are you a detective? A reporter? Acting for the hotelier in his defence case? Why don’t you just leave it to liberty and the police and whoever is supposed to do this type of thing…”No to” and “No two” doesn’t make much difference and simply not having a reservation doesn’t mean the hotel was full…the fact is they didn’t get one and were sent packing..WHY?

24. Hmmm, a hotelier in Brighton who has a problem with gay couples? Doesn’t quite ring true, does it? This smacks of yet another pop by opportunists and baiters on the make for an easy buck. Just because it is their word against is doesn’t prove a thing. I await the evidence with interest.

Like that vulture who was recently discovered to have falsified a gay-bashing claim, don’t tell me that a few rotten gays are not colluding even now to find ways to milk the compensation system for falsified claims, and of course the fruit loops on here will be egging them on. Insanity!!!

1. As has been pointed out, if there can be homophobic pubs in Soho, there can be homophobic B&Bs in Brighton. Location does not define intention.

25. “Rejects?” That;s a new one. Sue their asses off.

26. The unfortunate problem is that action like this has the reverse effect and creates less sympathy to the problems of homophobia as it alienates members of the public.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 10:54am

SO we should just put up with it then, should we?

Do you think women fighting for equal rights had an easy ride? Or Black rights?

Point is here in the 21st century this kind of discrimination has no place so it is up to us to make sure society progresses. We cannot expect to be treated equally if we quietly pretend this isn’t happening.

Sure people don’t like it but they generally are people that are bigotted anyway and those who just can’t handle change for a better society.

Like someone said before, I have 85 year old Gran who thinkings homophobia is wrong and who thinks hotels like this are wrong. She thinks they must have better things to do than judge everyone.

It’s from her I got my expression Live and Let Live. In her words “Oh I ain’t got time for bigots. They have no place in my life. Life too short to be bothing about everyone elses personal life. They should just let people get on with it” – in a Very Cockney accent I have to add. lol

And boy is she right.

1. If homosexuals want equal rights and to be treated the same, why have a big event called ‘pride’ where they dress like twats and shout and scream about being different???

It’s nothing to be ashamed of but nothing to be proud of either, like I’m not proud or ashamed of having blue eyes.

There’s nothing special about being gay and it’s not worth flaunting. If gays just BE rather than being overly gay homophobia would fade.

Losing homophobia starts at home, not blaming others.

1. @ Sean: oh God, that old canard again. Well, if there was no-one in the world who said it is shameful then you’re right, there’d be no need for it. Look around though, and you might eventually be able to work it out for yourself.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 6:34am

“If homosexuals want equal rights and to be treated the same, why have a big event called ‘pride’ where they dress like twats and shout and scream about being different”

Because things don’t happen if we just sit back doing nothing. We have to make a noise. Plus the fact we have only had rights starting just over 40 years ago. Thats is something we have to celebrate. So yes we have Every right to be proud. If your not proud of yourself then thats your problem, in more ways than one.

When someone starts a sentence ‘If homosexuals want equal rights” that suggests you still think we should be second class citizens. Why? We are human beings just like you! We are no different expect you have all the rights whereas we don’t just because of who we are attracted to. That makes no sense.

3. de Villiers 26 Apr 2011, 10:15pm

One can have pride in that which one has not achieved. I can be proud of France and the French Republic even though I was not one of the revolutionaries. Once can take reflected satisfaction.

This accords with the Latin root from which the word proud derives – ‘prodesse’ meaning ‘be advantageous’ or ‘be of value’.

2. That’s really not true James. The only way to gain equality is by fighting for it. Not hiding in a closet. That’s been the case for any suppressed group.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 6:38am

Exactly!! Too many wish us to just sit back and hope it all comes to us. Be quiet. That gets us nowhere. People like James can’t see that we should never have been treated differently in the first place. Why shouldn’t we make our voices be heard?

These people moan about others fighting for our rights but happy to go alone with as soon as we do get them. Hypocrites.

3. James wrote

“The unfortunate problem is that action like this has the reverse effect and creates less sympathy to the problems of homophobia as it alienates members of the public.”

James, show me some hard evidence that this is the case, for example a study / survey in a major peer reveiwed journal

27. A business in Brighton turning away gay couples? Brighton – the gay capital of Europe? Doesn’t make business sense. I’m a lesbian and walk past the hotel most days – gay couples seem welcome & the manager is always friendly (& he knows I’m gay). Of course I don’t know what happened but sounds like opportunists to me. Definitely tells me that you shouldn’t believe everything you read in the paper.

1. Gosh …an hotel manager rushing out of the door and greeting a passing lesbian (it seems he has a way of working out someone’s sexual orientation) who walks pass his door most days doesn’t sound very likely as well……didn’t realise that it was a requirement of all people in Brighton to be so gay friendly, also didn’t realise it was a requirement of an hotelier to have a good business head, it seems in Soho allowing gay people to kiss is bad business sense!….”gay couples seem welcome and the manager is always friendly” … NOT in this case it seems but of course these are real people and your gay couples are just couples that seem to have a gay characteristic and have a smile on their face?

1. re ”an hotel manager rushing out of the door and greeting a passing lesbian”, I can see that going all a bit Basil Fawlty, as he salutes a passing lesbian he inadvertently exposes himself or touches her breast. But yeah I’m in agreement with you.

2. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 1:15pm

@john….
        …..”didn’t realise that it was a requirement of all people in Brighton to be so gay friendly, ”
        It isn’t, but it is a requirement of law that you must provide goods and services to all, equally, even to a hatefilled xtian homophobis bigot.

2. Brighton gay capital of Europe?! Yerra go on. Tell that to the guys who’ve spent a fortune promoting Mykonos. If Brighton is the capital of anything its the capital of people who couldn’t hack it in London and scarpered.

1. “hack ” what in london, lived here all me life and its a dump , gets more generic daily . Brighton has a lot more going for it, but is still no gay capital .

1. Well you tell us, what exactly is getting more generic? I always figured Brighton was the soft option in comparison to living in London and as a result Brighton has become almost like a gay ghetto. I’d say intolerance and bigotry in London has been the cause, but we’re all not lucky enough to be able to jack in the job and go buy a cottage by the sea, hence the ‘hacking’ it in London comment. And before I get a “jealous much?” comment I can say when I am able to jack in the job I’ll be heading further afield than Brighton.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 3:23pm

…..the west ofIreland is just lurvly……lol

2. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 3:25pm

…the west of Ireland is lurvly….far from the madding crowd!!

3. Far from the madding crowd Paddy? Hardly, if you’re living there, sociopath.

4. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 8:09pm

@CMYB….
            ……what do you think “far from the madding crowd” means you gauche twat. It means living in a quiet idyl far from the hustle and madding of urban life. You really are as thick as you sound, aren’t you. Haven’t you ever read anything you plank.

28. Surprised at the amount of cynicism towards the girls in this story. The John Snow story elicited more sympathy for the two guys involved whereas the majority on here think the two girls in Brighton are on the make. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that there could be bigotry in Brighton towards LGBTs in the same way as there was in Soho last week towards those guys in the John Snow.

1. Aren’t YOU the one being cynical here CMYB, in light of the lack of evidence either way? The problem as ever with the rabid bunch of fruit loopers on here is that they are prepared to rush in like bulls china shops and brand the accused as guilty till proven innocent.

That is what a load of headless, victimised chickens the militants who have hijacked these boards as their own stand for. They’ve lost the plot yet because most normal gay people are out doing the things normal people do over Easter – like rolling eggs down hills – the extremists on here profess to speak for all of us. Well NOT IN MY NAME!!!

The definition of extremism is someone who is intent to push any subject to its extreme level of tolerance. Now how ironic is THAT? I swear this ragbag of the same old names are paid to police these boards 24/7 – I mean, this is a frigging 4-day long scorcher of a weekend and they haven’t anything better to do than whinge and whine about their sorry lot. Saddos.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 12:24pm

Wow, bitter much.

“I mean, this is a frigging 4-day long scorcher of a weekend and they haven’t anything better to do than whinge and whine about their sorry lot. Saddos.” Clearly you mean yourself because you here whinging and whining about everyone who disagrees with you. Saddo & a Hypocrite!

Poor William, not everyone agrees with you so you throw your hissy fit!! LOL… It’s so funny!!

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 12:28pm

I think I may have taken real notice of that comment had you not just accused others of exactly what your doing yourself.

Hilarious.

29. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:23pm

Good for them! Unfortunately I fear that many more gay and lesbian couples will need to be brave and go public and sue until the message is pounded into the heads of the average business-owning bigot that we are simply NOT to be discriminated against.

1. I’m real too Eddy. Very sorry we have the same name, it happens. Not enough names to go around these days. If you had been leaving comments when I began I would have used my second name.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 12:31pm

Beryl, Is that you?

;)

2. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 3:49pm

And when did you begin, “Eddy”? Between 2007 and recently you were NOT leaving comments on these boards, or were you using another name during that period?

Please follow your name with the first letter of your surname.

1. queers are human excrement.

2. Not that I need to explain to you, but I started looking at pink news about two months ago. And no I wont follow my name with the first letter of my surname? what are you the pink news police force? Heil. Get over yourself. Change your name to Beryl.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 6:24pm

@Eddy(b)..
            ……Godwins Law again…….. It’s even brought into play over tags ffs.Catch youself on man.

2. @Paddyswurds, thanks for trying to raise the standard of debate on Pink news. If you are going to continue policing Godwins Law trangressions, take my advice, at least practice what you preach.

3. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 8:28pm

@johnk…
            …..and exactly how did i transgress Godwins Law?

3. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 6:27pm

@Eddy(a)…
          …he is very fond of Godwins Law. You’re not going to get any consenus from him…..

30. Not sure I believe this. Having said that me and 3 mates got told to “get ot” of a cab because the driver didn’t our type of service. All my mate did was kiss his boyfriend and nothing more than a peck.

1. musclelad23 22 Apr 2011, 1:08pm

That happened to me before too when he saw me hold the other blokes hand. Should have got his number plate really.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 1:21pm

@musclelad23..
        ….you should have called the police.The taxi driver is providing a service and the police have control of taxi licencing etc and this would be their remit. Just the same as if you suspect your odctor is under the influence. You can call the police and they must respond.

1. That’s right. Call the police why don’t you? “Ooh office, the taxi driver took offence at us snogging, oops, correction, pecking each other on the cheek. That’s why I had to take up hours of your time filing loads and loads of paperwork on this national outrage when you could have been out there preventing my best mate from being queer-bashed on his way home from a bar in Shoreditch.”

My how the fruit loop nut-jobs are pushing this new law to its extreme level of tolerance. And we all know what will happen next when the weight of the ever-stretching elastic snaps back in ALL our faces, and it won’t just backfire on the minority of “poor me” gay victim protagonists. You know, we used to win our rights through the power of argument and persuasion because we knew back then that it was better to be empowered in our struggle and to win our rights through valiance than to play the poor victim card. Now we have just completely lost the plot.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 12:40pm

Let me get this right, You think that Gay people who hold hands and kiss deserve to be denied a service and possibly being beaten?

How sick are you?

Until we are have EXACTLY the same rights as everyone else we have the perfect right to push those who continue to reject us.

It’s funny because you keep accusing all who don’t agree with you as being victim but most of your comment scream you as a victim.

Do you think for one minute the Women’s right came because people sat on their arses doing nothing?

Equality means from the basics of being able to hold hands without being bullied right up to having full Equal marriage.

2. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 12:43pm

@William…..
            …….now you really are starting to look ridiculous .I agree with a lot of your posts…well some anyway, but you are getting increasingly silly. What exactly would you think muscleled23 should have done. Beat the chaps head in as cmyb advocates or just turn and walk away with with his head down in humiliation. I think , i may be wrong , that musclelad23 is black or possibly asian and the taxi drivers real problem may have been racism but covered it with homophobia. I’m sure musclelad will put me right. However you are getting increasingly hard to agree with.

2. @musclelad23: Yes, you should have – and made a note of the time and the place, and made a formal complaint.

3. I’da kicked his f!!king windscreen in, comes to something when taxi drivers can afford to turn down a fare due to their bigotry.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 3:49pm

@CMYB…
          ….and that would make you better than a homophobic taxi driver, how exactly??
          You think answering homophobia with thuggery is somehow advancing the cause somehow? I don’t think so.

1. musclelad23 22 Apr 2011, 4:10pm

Yeah I know, I would have done had it happened now. It was back when I was stupid and only 18. The only thing that was on my mind was getting back to the other bloke’s flat ASAP lol.

2. Well Paddy I doubt the taxi driver was up for a bit of reasonable discussion if he turfs a young lad out of his taxi for holding another guy’s hand. The taxi driver doesn’t strike me as enlightened so a good thumping would have been the only thing he understood.

3. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 7:50pm

@CMYB…
            …and here’s me thinking Neandertals were extinct….how wrong was I ??

4. @Paddywurds, at the beginning of the 20th Century, did women get the vote in the UK, simply by staying at home and writing letters to their local MPs?

5. Or did women gain the vote in the UK, also with the aid of active protest?

6. Getting a conviction for ABH against a taxi driver is hardly advancing a worthwhile cause though, it it? Making a complaint that might result in the suspension of a driver’s licence would send out a far stronger message.

7. Paddyswurds 22 Apr 2011, 8:49pm

@Rehan…..
            …..Hear, Hear !!

8. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 7:05am

Yes, exactly JohnK.

And there were women who thought the actions of the British suffragette movement were doing them harm and said they should be silenced/stopped. Did those women act on those comments? no and look what they have now.

We can only advance if we stand up for ourselves.

We shouldn’t have to because as human being the rights should be automatic but they are not for us and like women we have to tell people to treat us equally.

9. I wouldn’t mind but Paddys resorts to name calling and thuggish verbal behaviour quicker than anyone on here so I dunno why he’s getting so high and mighty. He’s just being contrary, if we said black he’d say white.

10. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 12:31pm

@cmyb…
            …….thats rich coming from you, who advocates violence if you dont get your own selfish way…creep!!

11. @Paddyswurds.

What about your verbal violence?

12. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 11:47am

JohnK
            I suspect that’llbe different.
            ;)

13. Paddyswurds 24 Apr 2011, 11:54am

@JohnK…
            …stick and stones etc..!

31. Kitty, Brighton can hardly lay claim to being the gay capital of Europe. Amsterdam arguably has been and will continue to be, the first country to give its gay citizens full marriage equality.

1. I thought Amsterdam had lost the top spot but agree with the ME bit, it gets my thumbs up. Never heard of Brighton though of being the gay capital of Europe, most foreigners land up in London and that’s about as far as they go. As for British gays I’m more of a Northern guy myself , what about Manchester?

32. Sue anybody and everybody you can to get your equal and civil rights, it seems the only thing most people understand is money. GET ALL YOU CAN, and then give some of it to a good gay cause like marriage rights for LGBT people and HIV/AIDS programs. Good Luck

33. there only doing it for the money they have seen one couple do it so now they want to do it

1. I read they’re giving the money to charity if they win. Why bother going through a court case for the money if you’re just going to give it away?

1. Principle. Precedent. There – 2 reasons.

1. Rehan, I know that, I was trying to point out to Ryan that if they were giving the money to charity, which is what I had read, why would they bother to go through a court case just for the money. If they are giving the money to charity, they’re clearly not doing it for the money as Ryan suggested.
          To the other Eddy, I don’t mind you having the same name as me, but why reply to my comment and make it sound like you are me replying to my own comment? Weirdo.

2. Yes, I know I’m a selfish-sounding person. I can’t see the sense of fighting for principles. I would only fight for the money, and for me to keep the money all for myself.

3. As ever twisting the facts to suit YOUR filtered interpretation of what they really said. They said they would donate “some” money to charity but would not specify how much. The inference was that they are out to milk this for all they are worth.

34. Only problem is that Rebecca Nash has form. She has tried this trick with at least one other hotel just over a year ago, probably others too. I have told the hotel owner to contact the owner of the Brighton hotel and appear in court for him. Next time, Liberty should check its facts before accusing innocent hotel owners. Nash and her partner are simply in it for the money. Nash and Subbing’s lies damage all the real victims of discrimination because everyone thinks we are all liars.

1. I don’t know who you are Martin, nor Gill , nor Kitty but honestly are we really expected to believe any of these comments….where on earth do you guys get these facts from, the papers don’t have them , do they?, why would you bother doing all this…for the sake of “real victims” of discrimination??? It’s not for you to say they are liars it’s the court’s work….

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 9:06am

Exactly!

1. So, it is turning out to be the case that the REAL victim of wrongful discrimination here is the hotelier, just as the Christian hotel couple were discriminated against through adhering to their religious principles. The whole world has gone frigging mad!!! When I was a kid I was learned to stand up for myself against my perceived bullies, and it was drummed into me that “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.” So true.

This is a big old world, and if the rapid fruit loopers think they are going to succeed in potentially criminalising all 7 billion people on this planet by FORCING them all to accept upfront displays of gay behaviour instead of winning acceptance by not raising their heads above the parapet and screaming for attention all the time, then they are sorely mistaken. Acceptance begins with earning respect, and right now the gay community is regarded as out to seek publicity at every slightest opportunity.
          Again, NOT IN MY NAME thank you very much

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 12:51pm

Truth is, it’s what the people do now that helps those of the future. While your too busy condemning all those who risk themselves by showing their feelings in public just like anybody else, the rest of us actually doing it will go quite some way to making it just as acceptable. No-one gets right by sitting on their arses, whinging like you do.

I have never had a problem holding hands with partner in public but even we know there is a time and place. We do in central London and I admit we have never had a problem. Could be to do with that fact my partner is 6’6 and built like a brick ****house and me not far behind but even so if we can help get people used to it them it improves life for the next generation.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 12:52pm

If it hadn’t have been for the likes of Peter Tatchell and Stonewall taking ‘risks’ we wouldn’t have the freedoms we do today and that includes this fight. Just because your too selfish and lonely, don’t leave your head in the clouds. Put that Bible down and see the Real world for change.

No-one else if going to help us if we stay silence and in the closet, like you wish to remain.

3. If the hotelier has been lied about, that doesn’t make him like the Christian bedsit people – they were rightfully prosecuted for discrimination and were clearly in the wrong, whereas if this guy has been slandered, he has been wronged and it is Nash and Stubbings who are in the wrong.

I think it’s probably best, with these cases, for the gay community to say little to nothing until a the truth has been established in court. After all, we wouldn’t want to rip into this hotelier with mob justice only to find that the case against him is a tissue of lies, would we?

As a gay community, we want justice. We won’t get it if we ignore the basis on which English justice depends – that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Thus, in this case (as with the Landlord and staff in the Soho pub kissing incident) the hotelier is innocent so far.

4. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 2:43pm

@joe …where are you getting this info all of a sudden ??

5. “where are you getting this info all of a sudden ??”

What do you mean? The info is all in the Pink News story. The couple say one thing, the management say another – the latter saying “they were asked to leave because they were “loud” and “rude” and said the hotel had never discriminated against anyone”. None of us have sufficient reliable information to make a judgement call, so those who are screaming “boycott the hotel” and “hope they go out of business” are jumping the gun somewhat.

If the hotelier did really say & do what the couple claim, I would be the first to say he must face the consequences. But as it is, I simply can’t know who to believe. My suspicion is that there is coming into being a kind of gay rent-a-mob which is reacting before proofs have been given. When this might put a hotel or pub out of business, then this kind of whipped-up mob action should not to be taken lightly.

6. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 4:54pm

Guess thats the beauti of a comments page then innit?!!

It lets us air our views….

Weither you think them right or wrong is irrelevent.

7. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 4:55pm

Also I very much doubt Liberty would take on th ecse if they thought they would lose it.

8. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 4:56pm

Correction
            Also I very much doubt Liberty would take on the case if they thought they would lose it.

9. PumpkinPie 24 Apr 2011, 1:25am

Stop pretending you’re gay, William. It’s not funny and it just makes you look even more insane.

Also, write things that make sense. Your posts aren’t funny and they just make you look even more of an imbecile.

How is “upfront gay behaviour” different from upfront straight behaviour? How will hiding in the closet help people to accept us not being in the closet?

10. PumpkinPie 24 Apr 2011, 1:26am

Also, if this was some sort of clever ruse to get us all back into the closet, it kind of failed. You see, the “reward” you’ve promised us is being put back in the closet. We don’t want that. When you’re trying to manipulate people into doing something they don’t want to do, the trick is to make them think they’ll be getting the opposite of what you actually intend them to get. That’s the only way you’d ever get them to co-operate with you (but still only if they‘re remarkably stupid). You understanding this? It’s a very, very basic tenet of deceit. Most people learn it long before their age gets to double digits, but there‘s no shame in being a late bloomer.

11. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 7:25am

Well said Pumpkin.

12. de Villiers 26 Apr 2011, 10:20pm

William, there was no discrimination against the hoteliers insofar as there was no less favourable treatment on the grounds of religion.

Had anyone treated the gay male couple less favourably, they would have been treated in the same way by the court. The court judgment was based upon action rather than religion.

13. “just as the Christian hotel couple were discriminated against through adhering to their religious principles.”

Yeah, religious principles that permit discrimination – an unproven deity that instructs others to persecute should be enshrined into law. That’s good for democracy and the fundamental well-being of society and civil liberties.

Another classic of idiocy from William.

2. Changetheworld 27 Apr 2011, 3:57pm

Martin, intruiging. Where did you discover this information? Please provide facts…

35. I smell a rat!

1. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 8:06pm

@joe….
      …so this is starting to look very like the pub debacle. Gill’s revelations above would seem to confirm the suspicions emerging in the last 24 hours that this is another screaming match with the GLB community pissing into the wind …again.
      The revelation that Ms Nash has form has been particularly dissapointing and I’m withdrawing any comment i have already made in support in this latest “incident” until this becomes a lot clearer. Thank you, Joe. A few more level heads are what are sorely needed on these threads. Watch and weep at the abuse i will get in the next few hours, especially after the clubs close and the usual suspects come on here oiled up and ready for combat.

2. Yeah but where’s the smell coming from…? Liberty has taken on the case for the girls and as yet we just have the word of the hotelier and a few surprising detectives on this comments page……Lets face it there is a hell of a lot of people out there who’d love to see the equality act scrapped and in particular anything that deals with the anti discrimination rules around sexual orientation…..discrimination against gay couples has not disappeared, why the surprise by this story? Most of us do use Williams’ old story of sticks and stones etc and usually put up with a lot of verbal abuse/discrimination but frankly why should we? If these girls have been absused verbally simply becuase they are a lesbian couple then go for it , make another example of this hotelier….we have little influence over the 7 billion (if that’s the rights figure) inhabitants of the world but we have some influence over the 55 million people in the UK…we’ve been turning the other cheeck for too long!

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 11:31am

Exactly we can’t expect change if we don’t fight for it.

2. Paddyswurds 24 Apr 2011, 12:02pm

@john….
        ….is it not the law that a Right once granted cannot be withdrawn, except in time of war when rights can be temporarily suspended? I may be completely wrong but i’m sure there must be legal eagles perusing these pages or even commenting so we will hear soon enough.
        re; 7 billion….near enough among friends. I think it stands around 6.4.

1. de Villiers 26 Apr 2011, 10:22pm

Right can be taken away with the passing of a new law by Parliament of any National Assembly.

36. John, I’m not so sure if Amsterdam has lost the top position as the most gay friendly capital. As for Manchester, I’d say its the most gay friendly city in the north, no question about that. With all its problems and crime, London will always be the number one city in the UK.

1. Leeds is a good northern gay-friendly city too.

37. The Editor 23 Apr 2011, 9:56pm

Pink News
    What is up with your software. I dropped in 2 hours ago and the count stood at 171. two hours later the count stands at 183 with no new comments. also these weird software edits such as numbers instead of inverted coommas, asterisks deleted, spaces deleted, black diamonds with a question mark in the center and several other weird occourances???

38. Paddyswurds 23 Apr 2011, 9:58pm

………
    …..Hear,Hear….

39. The Great Pretender 24 Apr 2011, 12:13am

the crap posted on this website as comment is only worthy of fiver year olds.WTF?

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 7:26am

Erm, crazy says what now?

2. “Fiver” year olds? What is that? WTF indeed.

40. I’m not sure if I believe these girls did experience this…

1. Jock S. Trap 27 Apr 2011, 12:17pm

Liberty clearly feel differently.