Kate Middleton ‘a lesbian icon’

1. Stuart Neyton 21 Apr 2011, 10:12am

Someone thinks something, therefore that’s news???

All this royal wedding propaganda is making me queasy.

2. Oh, good grief. Gay men and glamour, lesbians and ‘earthiness’, nothing like stereotyping from the inside, is there?

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:19am

Thank you, exactly what I was thinking.

2. I know who is this idiot. Just as some men confuse misogyny for homosexuality some women confuse misandry she obviously thinks she’s a lesbian. That’s the only reason I can think why she would embrace these stereotypes.

1. Unfortunately, one of the best-known ‘lesbian authors’ around today. I get pissed off enough by straight people stereotyping, it’s so annoying being let down by another gay person.

1. I dropped my guard when I first went out to gay bars and clubs and I got more aggro from other gay people. Some men were quite nasty and malicious. I was prepared for everything except that. There isn’t an automatic loyalty amongst gay people it’s quite sad.

3. Too right, Rehan, and it’s more than that. It can be used to bully and denigrate LGBT people who don’t conform to these stereotypes, and lower their self-esteem, particularly if they’re young and just discovering their own sexuality.

1. I agree Iris. It’s the same people who are ageist body facists maybe racist too. Fit the mold or you’re not welcome

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:43am

Good point James!

2. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:43am

Totally agree Iris.

3. Yes Iris, at the very, very least it’s tiresome – I’ve even fallen out with a straight [woman] friend who is apparently incapable of dissociating gay men and Eurovision. I’m old enough to resist that kind of patronising stereotyping, it must be so much harder if you’re young and less certain of yourself.

1. Well said Rehan, absolutely agree. But hey, doesn’t she have a new book or a new TV show coming or something? Needs to get her name out there, even if it is associated with spouting risible and asinine crap.

And yeah, a friend of mine told a story about a dinner party and a gay guy being asked about interior bloody decorating. He didn’t have an opinion and was asked “what kind of gay man are you?” to which he apparently responded to with “the kind that likes dick.”

Oh and there is nothing “earthy” (what the frig is that meant to mean anyway) about a Middleton. All I see is a pampered and spoiled “lady who lunches”.

1. Grrr. It was “Do you even sleep with men?” in my case. Some people seem to genuinely believe that a liking for dick, as your friend put it, equates to developed taste in soft furnishings, and for the life of me I can’t compute that formula logically.

Not helped by Sarah Waters in this instance, of course.

2. Indeed, and it hurts more when it comes from the very people you’re seeking reassurance and acceptance from. Some lesbians can be aggressively militant about what’s ‘right’ for a lesbian, and such personal attacks can really undermine younger people who, quite understandably, are less sure of themselves.

I detest stereotypes because they’re at best lazy, and at worst, an attempt to bully others into submission to one form of gayness. We’re all individuals.

3. And your use of the word ‘patronising’ is also very apt in some cases, Rehan. I never know whether straight people do it through ignorance or malice sometimes. I think that some people want to put us in boxes because that makes us ‘safe’ and readily indentifiable.

Stereotypes are used to represent LGBT people and little attempt’s made to represent us as individuals.( I’m mainly thinking of certain TV shows there.) Aswell as being offensive, they just serve to perpetuate the stereotypes and thus anyone who doesn’t fit is questioned quite nastily.

3. Well I know this lesbian at least would be more than happy to munch her c*nt.

1. musclelad23 21 Apr 2011, 11:09am

fowl.

1. As in, she’s a game bird?

4. Yes, of course, because all lesbians like exactly the same type of women, and we all adore ‘earthiness’. Not.

What an embarrassing comment from the usually more astute Sarah Waters :o

1. I was going to say when are we going to move beyond stereotypes, but it seems as if every one gets stuck in them from time to time, and sadly even LGBT people it appears.

1. I would say especially LGBT people

5. Christine Beckett 21 Apr 2011, 10:30am

Oh, for feck’s sake!!

Pass the puke bucket.

:-(

chrissie

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:44am

You’ll have to wait I ain’t finished with it!!

1. I’m still using it!!!

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 11:53am

I sense an updated version of Jack and Jill coming on!

6. It would be nice to have a link to the actual Telegraph article. It does seem an incredibly trite thing to come out with but I’d look on it more kindly if it was down to a journalist asking for Ms Waters’ views on Kate Middleton and lesbians and her flailing for an answer.

1. Of course she could have been trying to be funny or flippant, but really – she should be experienced enough by now to be a bit more media-savvy, to have an idea how these remarks could come out.

7. I highly doubt that dreary, insipid Kate Middleton will have any iconic stature at all, to anyone.

She is a nothingy little dormouse.

And Kate Middleton certainly does not deserve any praise or respect simply because she is marrying William Windsor.

1. I seriously think she’s the most nondescript person I’ve ever seen. if she wasn’t always standing next to Prince William I don’t think I’d ever remember who she was.

1. They’re both rather dull ….is that what the gay appeal is nowadays? They must be a god send for the royals, boring young old farts without any opinions on anything controversial and with a tight grip on thier tongues……or is this press no longer interested in them, I know I’m not…must be a better way of bringing in the toursits than these guys, we have the buildings, the history, the crap worthless pound why do we still need them?

8. She looks like someone who works in a fish and chip shop near to where I live. Except that girl doesn’t wear funny hats, and doesn’t wear as much makeup.

1. Don’t know whether you sound bitter or facetious. I’ll take a guess and say you spend your time in your local chippy all four of your chins in a bag of chips?

1. musclelad23 21 Apr 2011, 11:41am

mmm chips

sorry, diet talking.

2. eh? No, I wasn’t being either. I was just saying she looks like a girl who works in a local chip shop near where I live. What’s bitter about that? Or facetious? And she doesn’t wear funny hats, or as much makeup. What’s bitter about saying that? But your “all four chins in a bag of chips” judgement is bitter and facetious. 150 press ups a day. Gym 3 times a week. No double chin in sight. But I like chip shop chips. Yawn.

2. There’s a girl works down the chip shop swears she’s Kate Middleton.

9. It looks like Sarah Waters was making small talk and what she said gets turned in to a news story.

10. TheSuburban Bi 21 Apr 2011, 11:59am

Ridiculous.

If Sarah Waters has the hots for Kate, then she should just say so. Don’t drag the whole lesbian community into it.

1. Exactly! Anyway I much prefer her sister – what a nice bum she has!

11. Charles Gormley 21 Apr 2011, 12:06pm

The ludicrous statement aside, I fail to see what is ‘earthy’ about the daughter of a millionaire who is marrying a millionaire and will, in effect, be living off of the state for the foreseeable future.

12. Does earthy and glamorous go together? Any other examples of an earthy glamorous icon? I’m not being flippant I’m genuienly intrigued by the combination…Does she also appeal to straight guys and women…she truly is an awesome person isn’t she, what a lucky guy,,,who does he appeal to?

1. Glamour and earthy? Um, Rachel de Thame, maybe? Ex-model, now on Gardeners World ;)

1. That’s why we haven’t heard of her then- Gardener’s fecking World. Sounds like glamour preceded earthy- she was in fashion, now in gardening.

13. Peter Tatchell 21 Apr 2011, 12:57pm

Royal Wedding – Join us for gay marriage rights
    If you oppose the same-sex marriage ban, celebrate with us on Monday
    12 noon to 2pm
    Monday 25 April 2011
    Buckingham Palace (in front of the main entrance)
    London SW1

Sign up to join the event on Facebook:

End the ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of marriage equality will hold a celebration in front of Buckingham Palace on Easter Bank Holiday, Monday 25th April, from 12 noon to 2pm. It is a public holiday. We invite you to join us.

Coordinator of the event, Peter Tatchell of the Equal Love campaign, said:

“We plan to deliver a giant wedding card to William and Kate. As well as wishing the royal couple every happiness, we will highlight the fact that William and Kate can marry, but same-sex couples can’t.

“Our event will urge the royal couple to support moves to end the ban on gay marriage. We want equal marriage rights for all couples, regardless of sexual orientation.”

1. I’m confused Id rather not have to be concerned abut the threat of violence before marriage.

2. Peter, I appreciate the effort you are making to organise this and I am most certainly a supporter of gay marriage myself. I can’t help but wonder, however, whether this is the way to do it.

I am concerned that it may be pointless to try to attempt to convince a man who is still likely to become the Supreme Governor of the Church of England to publicly take a stance on the issue that is currently tearing the international Anglican communion apart.

Do you think there is any chance William and Kate will publicly support gay marriage, or is this more of a publicity exercise for the marriage equality campaign?

I also wonder about the mixed messages it sends to get a public sponsor for marriage equality whose very fame and position of influence originates in one of the worst examples of inequality still present in the world today – royal birthright. What are your thoughts?

1. If William Windsor refuses to endorse marriage equality then LGBT people should start loudly demanding the abolition of the monarchy.

Why would any LGBT person pledge allegiance to a homophobic parasite?

If we insist on maintaining the embarrassment that is our monarchy then at least we should insist that the monarchy is officially supportive of full equality.

in reality of course the monarchy should be abollshed in its entirety and the palaces opened to their owners ie us the public.

1. David, I personally agree with you about the need to dismantle the monarchy if we ever want to call this country a real democracy. I do think, however, it would be a bad idea to associate the gay marriage battle with republicanism in any way. Why? Because for some reason I don’t think I’ll ever understand (as a foreigner living in the UK), the Brits are very protective of the royal family. Although the British people are all about equality and people getting a fair go, they have such an affection for the monarchy that they ignore how completely unfair the concept of royalty really is. Headlines of “gays protest monarchy” would only damage the gay rights agenda in my opinion.

2. David, shut the hell up, you keep posting the same anti-Monarchy diatribe all over the message boards on here, then when someone challenges your views you don’t respond and just post the SAME f!!king argument further down the page.

3. @ Peter, thanks for the information and links

14. Con i not – just such a lot of drivel.

15. What a poor excuse for an article.

Seriously… what utter, complete trash.

Perhaps rename your website to pinkgossip.co.uk because that article couldn’t even loosely be classified as news. Some author thinks Kate will be a lesbian icon because she is earthy and an icon amonst gay men because she is glamourous… wow, stop the presses. Firstly, even if you ignore the stereotypes you play on by suggesting a celebrity will gain respect among gay men for glamour alone and among lesbians for being earthy, even if those stereotypes were hard facts and not stereotypes at all, this still wouldn’t be a newsworthy article.

People like you publishing claptrap like this on gay news websites only further perpetuates those stereotypes, and it really sucks for gays like me who couldn’t care less about how glamourous the next princess is. Make no mistake, you are doing a disservice to the gay community when you paint us all as so superficial and fickle.

1. I think you’re being a little hard on Pink News, which is only quoting what was said – and I for one am glad Sarah Waters’ vacuous witterings were brought to my notice, at least I’ll know not to pay any attention to her in future.

1. I take your point, Rehan. However I do think this is something that should have been thrown into the “not newsworthy enough” basket and should never have made it to print.

2. Rehan were not feeding trolls anymore. Roham Fcuk off

1. Don’t put Rohan in the same category as the absurd Rich or Massive, James!, that’s not fair.

2. I don’t know what your problem is, (apart from the obvious linguistic ones). If you have something to say that makes sense and isn’t just blatant ad hominem, bring it.

3. Sorry Tohan. I thought you were taking the mick

16. Probably the worst article I’ve ever read.

1. That’s a bit of a sweeping statement, what about Pink News’ interview a few weeks ago with some dude who founded Grindr? I say interview but it was just a glorified piece of advertorial about how convenient Grindr makes it to get laid these days. THAT was the worst article ever.

17. I fancy Kate Middleton, if i’m honest. I completely would. Sorry.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 9:39am

tut!

2. Don’t apologise Kat, we’d all have a crack at someone in the Royal family if we could…….Lord Freddie WIndsor….*drool*……..

3. lol – what ever floats your boat, so to speak

18. she is attractive .But she is definitely not a gay icon yet.
    As far as i am aware she has not done anything for the LGBTQ community etc. If she does then she MAY become a lesbian icon.

1. Ha! You think being altruistic towards the gay community means an entitlement towards gay ‘iconism’? Have a wander down to your local WH Smith and take a look at the cover of Attitude magazine on any given month- it takes zero to be a gay icon, for the guys if you have decent abs and a pair of pecs you’re a shoo-in. For the ladies if you’ve battled booze and drugs demons and appeared in a musical then roll out the pink carpet and wait for the call from the Graham Norton show.

19. She is already an heterosexual icon tho the heterosexual community so she cannot be both , can she?

20. It’s not fair to criticise PinkNews. It’s perfectly possible the Daily Telegraph misquoted Sarah Walters and Pink News just copied out the story and re-posted it.

21. Looks like Walters will say anything flashy just to get in the news. Embarassing.