Interview: Peter Tatchell on a lifetime of campaigning

1. A man spreading political cancer across society- cancer which has not been detected officially as yet.

1. Get back in your hole Massive troll.
      This man has done some brilliant work.
      I don’t like him personally but i won’t deny we’d all be worse off without him and his selfelss work.
      Keep up the good work Tatchell and ignore the bitchy people like Massive.

2. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

(Pity it in silence.)

1. Spanner1960 25 Apr 2011, 8:38pm

I’d pat this one on the back.

3. Massive fart blowing of his evil wind again.

1. ”Massive fart blowing of his evil wind again”. That description sounds like the premise for a Harry Potter novel, you may want to claim credit for that before its ‘appropriated’.

1. That should have read “Massive fart blowing off his evil wind again”
          People appropriate all the time, can’t be avoided really. I’ve never read a Harry Potter book nor seen any of the films.

2. Massive, just what have you done lately for equality? I suspect NOTHING.

If it weren’t for people like Peter Tatchell, the most courageous gay activist in histroy I submit, being gay would still be criminal and Section 28 the law of the land, among other things but I suppose you’d be comfortable living that way.

1. And you’re a troll who seems to spend your time slagging off as many people here as you can Rich.
      Get a life

3. Thank you Peter for your courage, dignity and dedication over the years. I look forward to contributing to your foundation.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 21 Apr 2011, 7:21pm

I second that….

4. I may not always agree with Mr Tatchell’s methods but I cannot fault his courage, his commitment, his sacrifice and his energy for the cause of equality for us all.

5. PumpkinPie 21 Apr 2011, 6:36pm

Thanks for all the incredible work, Peter! :D

6. What a legend. How can any gay guy not appreciate him. Don’t agree with all his views, but can’t dismiss his hard work. Would be like a black guy/girl not liking martin luther (maybe thats pushing it, not sure – and I hope he doesn’t go the same way – he certainly has made some big enemies in high places). I just don’t get the likes of spanner and co. who hate him.
    Thanks peter.

1. Eddy: As I stated in a recent post:
      The man is nothing but a self-publicist, he makes Max Clifford look like a wallflower by comparison.

His heart may be in the right place, but he does nothing but rub people up the wrong way, ever since his days as an MP and later for Outrage, he has done nothing but interfere, but ultimately achieve nothing except put LGBT people in a bad light. If there is such a thing as a “gay community”, he sure as hell doesn’t represent me.

1. Staircase2 27 Apr 2011, 1:29am

“interfere”…………? lol

“ultimately achieve nothing except put LGBT people in a bad light”………….??! WTF are you on about?

If he doesnt represent you thats a good thing isnt it? Its what you want – and its certainly what I want too – so we’re all happy! lol

What I want is more people who will stand up and be counted, more people who will think, more people who are able to step outside of their own prejudices in order to think things thru logically and more people who are empathic enough to realise that just cause they are safe themselves for the time being does not mean that others are and dont need our support.

I LOVE Peter Tatchell – very brave man – unique individual and a shining example to us all

God Bless ya, Mr T ;o)

7. Mumbo Jumbo 21 Apr 2011, 7:26pm

Peter, you are a truly an inspiration. Thank you for all you have done.

8. Rich, I feel really sorry for you. Each time you comment I hope your psychiatrist will make a final decision to send you to some mental hospital for the rest of your life in order to save you from your future obsessive behavior. But would be better if you retire before your psychiatrist makes such decision. Good luck!

1. [In case anyone's wondering, this post addressed to Rich was a mocking reversal of that troll's own post, which has now been removed.]

9. It’s predictable that clearly disturbed obsessives feel the need to express their poisonous opinions even where they’re clearly out of place; but it’s still depressing. Still, at least there are some intelligent people who value PT as he should be valued.

10. [Glad to see one egregious troll's posts have been removed at last.]

11. Helen Wilson 21 Apr 2011, 10:50pm

I’d rather have one Peter Tatchell on my side than a hundred Ben Summerskill’s. I think that says all you need to know about the man.

Well done Peter keep, up the good work and getting up the noses of those who just play with equality.

1. Re: I think that says all you need to know about the man……Which man? Summerskill or Tatchell?

12. So when’s he going to get a proper job?

1. Define ‘proper job’.

1. Spanner1960 25 Apr 2011, 8:37pm

One where you make a living by contributing some real effort and work, and not having to rely on handouts.

Al he does is make all gays look like him, reactionary leftie whinging queens that will never be satisfied with their lot.

1. @ Spanner 1960: Well, as you may have noticed, a number of people consider that PT has cotributed a great deal of eefort and work, and many are more than happy to support him in those efforts.

So what’s your problem? That stupid people think one person represents all gay men? The same sort of people probably imagine that Elton John represents all gay men too. I know whom I’d prefer to be associated with, if it came to that.

1. Yikes, typos – ‘contibuted’, ‘effort’

2. Staircase2 27 Apr 2011, 1:30am

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

13. Peter Tatchell is a scrounger, he should shut up and get REAL job, and stop begging for money from homosexuals. Shamefull and embarrassing.

1. When did you last pay some attention to your wife instead of hanging out oin gay sites Sean? …was it when you beat her up last time?

2. So tell us, Sean – what has your REAL job done for the greater good that you feel you’re in a position to criticise PT?

1. He invented Grindr.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 11:48am

Do you mean Kroozr?

14. I think he’s an incredible man. I’d even go as far as calling him a modern day saint!

I remember a few years back he spoke to a group of us and we gave him a standing ovation. He was quite embarrassed and asked us to stop several times. I was amazed at the humility of the guy.

1. Phoenix0879 22 Apr 2011, 2:01am

I heard him talk at Nottingham Pride last year – although they stuck him on a side stage way off in a corner of the field, so attendance for his spot was lower than I expected. And he did get a little side-tracked down memory lane at one point, losing a little audience interest. But still, a worthy speaker and I hope that he continues to attend smaller prides across the country.

Like others here, I don’t always agree with his methods or chosen battles, but no one can dispute the impact that this man has had on the battle for equality. He’s just a normal guy who has had the courage to say “no, I won’t be quiet” and through his efforts – and the efforts of groups that has been involved with/founded – we are where we are today. A very inspirational individual indeed.

15. Dan Filson 22 Apr 2011, 9:11am

Peter is inexhaustible, and driven in his work. He’s sometimes wrong, but more often right and especially so when you look back a few years later (in this he is like Tony Benn and to a lesser extent Ken Livingstone, both of whom have a slightly higher wrong % relative to right %). His concern for human rights goes well beyond gay rights, and is underwritten by a sense of values which makes him unconcerned by which particular nation or people is involved. He is also lacking in pomposity or self-importance. People often think he is only concerned with self-publicity, but they mistake seizing the public attention with self-publicity. Outrage was often about seizing the public attention.
    The world of gay rights has room for both the Ben Summerskills and the Peter Tatchells, the methodical and slightly colourless organisational approach and the charismatic spontaneous do-it-now approach. I admire both Peter Tatchell and Stonewall, but the former is charismatic.

16. Helen sometimes you demean yourself when you just attack other people. there are enough people out there trying to undermine equality already

1. The dig at Summerskill? That was kinda pointless.

17. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:28pm

Tatchell is a fine individual in many ways, but like all human beings he occasionally reveals his flaws. The most recent was his championing of the absurd notion that Christians have the right to speak offensively and hurtfully of LGBT people and issues in public places.

1. Staircase2 27 Apr 2011, 1:34am

thats not an absurd notion – its called freedom of speech
      he was also eloquent (as always) in his description of why that is important

18. To all the PT bashers, tell us just how much you have done or are doing for full equality in our country? How far have you gone to stick your neck out? Have you spoken out against inequality? Have you challenged the establishment to get a move on? Writing a cheque as a donation isn’t enough. Without the activism of Peter Tatchell, there probably wouldn’t be anyone fighting for us. Disagree with and demonise him as you wish, you won’t find a finer, honest person to speak up when most wouldn’t. Action really does speak louder than words. Well done, Peter, keep up the great work that you do for all of us.

19. Let’s face it. When Tatchell was marching in favour of lowering the age of consent the people marching behind him weren’t 16 year olds, they were fat, hairy middle aged men who simply wanted to be legal pedophiles. Hope you’re proud Peter.

1. @ Adam: and for that reason alone perhaps you believe that 16yo males shouldn’t have been able to have sex (lawfully) with another male though they can with a female? Wow. You really don’t understand the concept of equality, do you?

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 11:52am

Adam
      That comment just shows you up for what you truely are!

3. Staircase2 27 Apr 2011, 1:35am

lol you idiot
      shame on you, Adam!

20. It is a bit like listening to Catholics talking about Mother Teresa. Beatification on its way or have the Sisters of Perpetual Misgivings beaten me to it.

21. He has enormous damage to the gay community and our cause. All he has done has created a new REPRESSION of our lifestyle, identity, sexuality and a new entrapment, just like we had to put up with in the past. Just watch this space.

I wish we could get our lives back. Live and let live is how it should have been.

We are now denied the right to be different because of this. We have to conform to mainstream society, which is so wrong.

Get rid of Tatchell, once and for all.

1. Just watch this space.

No thanks – not only is it deluded, it’s boring.

2. “We are now denied the right to be different because of this.”

I do not feel I am now denied the right to be different – to be me. Before, yes, we were different – raped, bashed, ridiculed and living in fear – yes, we were different. Now, we are still different, but much safer. We can choose to blend in or stand out. It’s our choice.

Peter Tatchell, and many more like him, have helped us. It’s now our choice.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 8:30am

Good comment, Carlos.

3. Staircase2 27 Apr 2011, 1:36am

what a steaming crock of poo, radical!
      (‘radical’ my arse! lol)

22. Peter is an inspiration.

I hope he will get a little more sleep in
    future though – four hours is not good…

23. No matter what you think of PT he has been consistent in his pursuit of equalty for all. I saw him at Nottigham pride last year, never realised he was 60 hope I look as good as he does.Keep it up Pete mate and more power to you!!
    As for massive’s officially undetected cancer…he has only to look in the mirror!!

24. I love PT. The man has dedicated his life to other people. You cannot fault his compassion, commitment, sacrifice and heart. Yes he gets it wrong sometimes but which of us hasn’t?

25. I do not always agree with PT’s methods either. But I know I owe him a lot, more than I owe Mr Summerskill, OBE.

One thing: we should never forget the campaign Simon Hughes ran against PT in the Bermondsey bye-election (one of the Liberal slogans was “the straight candidate”) . Hughes’ apology indicated that he was frightened to acknowledge he was gay because he was worried it would upset his mother!

26. Paddyswurds 26 Apr 2011, 9:45am

A truly courageous man, selflessly working for the greater good.
    He has endured great suffering hunger, beatings and injuries. A man all GLB people and straight world wide admire and has done all this to the detriment of himself. The evil trolls on this thread who castigate him and slag him off should take a good look at their own lives and show us what they have done for the greater good of all GLBs. I suspect (as in my own case I am ashamed to say) nothing. Reading the article is truly humbling and I wish Peter Tatchell all the best and the courage to continue his fight for Equality for us all. I think nomination for a Nobel Prize is in order. Lets start a petition for just such a nomination.

27. Don Harrison 26 Apr 2011, 8:08pm

Looking at these spanners you could in many cases you could easily use the word homophobes instead