Antony Cotton ‘proud’ of Corrie gay parents story

1. He is the kind of gay person who should not raise a kid ergh! Imagine the shame of him trotting down to parents evening. I would rather see Todd come back in Corrie with a kid yano someone who doesnt make me want to vomit.

1. But you think it’s okay for all the other ‘embarrassing straights’ who have kids? Who’d want deirdre as a mum, or the battersbeas, or tracy evil barlow whose been to prison longer than mira hyndley, or… the rest of the bloody cast.
      I’m not into camp fellas myself, and I’m as butch as they come. well almost. and I don’t watch corrie , but I think your comment is vile and anti camp. And don’t forget, corrie street is not exactly a butch program to watch, in fact is it the campest program on TV?

1. No I dont think its ok for those scenarios either. Im not anti-camp I think its hysterical but I just dislike Sean. He isnt camp hes something else.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Apr 2011, 9:01am

Anyone who can give a child a sound, stable, secure, loving home is ideal for being parents. Who cares is they are camp or not surely thats just stereotyping and personally I don’t think sit’s warranted.

I’d much rather see a “camp” loving parent that a cold homophobic bigotted one.

1. I agree with you actually. I watched Corrie yesterday and he wasnt too bad. Also, yeah he is a better parent than Shannon on those other comments on the Tennesse report lol.

2. Jock S. Trap 23 Apr 2011, 8:12am

Here! Here! to that James

2. Dan Filson 21 Apr 2011, 5:20pm

There is a problem with Anthony Cotton’s role – the writers have given him (and he does not reject it) a steretypical camp role. Nothing wrong with being camp, but it makes it harder for the writers then to create ordinary-life story lines for this gay character. I would rather, like @James, see Todd Grimshaw come back in a happy settled relationship which then adopts a child, and has no alarums of sudden death, car crashes, adulteries etc.

3. I don’t see any problem with the character Sean Tully raising a child, I for one wouldn’t be “embarrassed” at a parents evening. I like his character, and I like that he embraces being camp!
    The prejudice against camp men, and against “straight acting” men needs to stop, honestly can’t we just be..men and it not matter how flouncy or gruf we are?

I do get that the wider society doesn’t see it this way but I think across the soaps a a whole we have a decent representation of gay men, I mean just look at how different Aaron from emmerdale, Christian from eastenders and Sean fro corrie all are? and they’re all characters I recognize from my own community.

1. But isn’t ‘camp’ as much of an act or even more so than ‘straight-acting’? Isn’t ‘camp’ a facade picked up by gay guys who are unsure how to behave when they realise they’re gay so opt for the persona most readily visible and portrayed in society. I don’t understand why the term ‘straight-acting’ causes so much ire- unless you’re totally closeted, I’d consider a straight-acting guy to just be a regular guy (unless he was as I say a totally supressed closet case).

1. I dont like the term ‘str8 actin’ I would rather say I am masculine or feminine. I am not acting anything.

4. I don’t think they need to protect “older viewers ” My gran who passed away at the age of 86 in 2003 was totally accepting of my being gay, more so than some of my aunts, uncles and cousins. I have 3 children. My gran accepted my husband into the family . She was a fantastic woman and I miss her everyday. By the way she was from a small village in the west of Scotland not a big city.

5. His character is a ‘safe’ stereotype for straight viewers- a camp screechy queen.

1. musclelad23 22 Apr 2011, 7:51am

Corination street has had other gay characters who have been non stereotypical.

1. Soap operas are all about stereotypes and cliches- they’re meant to reflect real life but without taxing the viewers’ brains too much (somehow) so you have your villains, your local Asian corner-shop owner, your brassy barmaid, its half an hour of cliches trotted out for people who just can’t be arsed to go for a jog instead. What gay characters are you suggesting were non-stereotypical? The two young lesbians? Yeah they were just thrown in to try and get some FHM and Nuts readers to watch.

6. He is a queen.

7. Well done Antony. You’re a fantastic role model.

1. Louis? Louis Spence? Yeah Antony would be a great role model then.

8. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:31pm

I don’t watch Coronation Street, or any other soap or rubbish on the Idiot Box, but when I have caught sight of Antony Cotton’s character I have shuddered, for he does not represent 95% of the gay men who live in my area.

P.S. “Eddy” would you mind using another name, please. I notice you continue to use mine. We would not wish for people to confuse our views, would we.

9. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:34pm

Pink News people, please correct the software so that the first of a pair of inverted commas does not appear in Comments as:

8220;

I will now type the word please and precede it and follow it with inverted commas. It will probably appear in the Comments section as 8220; [word] followed by the closing inverted commas.

“please”

10. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:35pm

OK, didn’t work, so the problem must be:
    full-stop, inverted commas, word, inverted commas.

Testing:

.”please”

11. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:36pm

Still didn’t work.

Let’s try:
    PS, followed by a colon, followed inverted commas, word, inverted commas

PS:”please”

12. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:38pm

Still can’t reproduce the problem.

Here’s my final try.

P.S. followed by colon, followed by space, followed by inverted commas, etc.

P.S: “Please”

13. Eddy - the real one, from 2007/11 22 Apr 2011, 12:39pm

I give up trying to reproduce Pink News’s “8220” problem!

1. Maybe I will use a different name, I wouldn’t want anyone to mistake me for the nonsense that comes out of your mouth. I’ll use, Eddy Two, from now on.

testing, testing, testing. WTF.

14. God it depresses me that you lot attack AC because he is a camp queen, as if there’s not loads of people like him out there.

No wonder we all hate ourselves so much

1. I had the misfortune to meet this revolting excuse for a human being about 10 years ago. He hadn’t long been out of Queer as Folk then. He walked into the supermarket I worked in at that time and decided he wanted to chat me up. He then started making suggestive remarks and tried to foist his phone number on me. I politely declined and said that I wasn’t interested. He then threw a loud hissy fit screaming that he was famous (haha) and that I should be glad of his interest in me.

Clearly this spoilt brat was used to people fawning all over him. He is neither representative of gay people nor a role model. Quite frankly I’d rather he crawled back under the stone he came from under.

Having met the likes of Stephen Fry and Sir Ian McKellen, I’d say they are more worthy gay role models than a screaming queen with the ability to “act” as a screaming queen.

15. Mark Healey 24 Apr 2011, 12:31am

It’s good to see these story lines appearing in the soaps, and so what if he is a bit of a sterotype. All these characters are!

As for being a camp father figure – what does it take to be a good dad? I watched the documentry about the two guys who had three surrogate kids, and one of them seemed pretty camp – but the kids were amazing, confident outspoken souls who would make most parents proud.

So some people don’t like the actor, and some don’t like the character – well lets put aside these personal dislikes and see what corrie actually do with the story line (is’nt there enough prejudice in the world without adding to it?).

As for the actor himself – he has done some good work speaking out about hate crime and promoting the enough is enough campaign http://www.lgf.org.uk/enough

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Apr 2011, 9:03am

Excellent comment Mark, completely agree.

16. I don’t care less about soap operas – but it fills me with great joy to think that the fanatical Jeebus brigade at the Christian Institute will be seething with rage about it.