Evan Rachel Wood comes out as bisexual

1. And she told this to a hetero guys’ mag while wearing underwear. 10 out of 10 for unoriginality pet.

2. And behold as numerous people claim she’s just trying to boost her popularity and sex appeal with heterosexual men.

If she says’s she’s bisexual, she’s bisexual and she doesn’t need to be openly dating another woman to prove that to anyone.

1. Well why did she save this ‘revelation’ for Esquire? I’d have ‘almost’ believed her if she’d trotted it out to a gay/lesbian mag. But hey who are we to criticise her PR stunts.

1. These ‘bisexual’ actresses NEVER seem to have a same sex relationship though.

Their bisexuality seems limited to the pages of men’s magazines.

Strange that.

1. Could it be maybe it’s you not paying attention and easily dismissing any bi woman in a same sex union as ‘not really bi’ but lesbian?

~ Singer Sophie B. Hawkins has been with her female partner for many years and in 2008, gave birth to their son Dashiell.
          ~ actress Kristianna Loken from Terminator is currently in a relationship with another woman
          ~ musician Meshell NdegeOchello usually dates women
          ~ Australian singer Sia is currently dating fellow singer JD Samson (female)
          ~ the last big public relationship for bi comedia Sandra Bernhardt was bi actress and model Patricia Velasquez
          ~ musician Missy Higgins is currently in a relationship with a woman
          ~ notoriously publicity shy Saffron Burrows is rumored to be in a long term relationship with Fiona Shaw

… and let’s not forget how Samantha Ronson and Lindsey Lohan were together and very public for a long time, but detractors still harped on about how it wasnt real and just had to be fake.

2. She dates a guy named Marilyn who wears more lipstick than she does… not queer enough for you?

3. Blood Thirsty 19 Apr 2011, 11:10am

when will some of the male vampires “come out” … come on Erik …. I’m waiting!

1. *Drool*….or Lafyette *phwoar*.

1. David Myers 20 Apr 2011, 3:28am

Yeah, I’d like some of the Lafyette sass as gay rights bead reading!

1. If by bed time reading you mean pillow biting then yeah Lafayette would do the job nicely.

2. Well Erik already had a master-servant crush on Godrik and previously shared a penthouse with Derek Zoolander and two other male models, so that’s gotta count as pretty metrosexual.
      Myself, I get naughty thoughts every time I look at Jason Stackhouse!

4. musclelad23 19 Apr 2011, 11:12am

yawn

5. Being bisexual, by definition is a choice.

1. Oh go away.

2. And you by definition are a bigot.

1. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:37am

Which is a choice.

3. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:37am

LU – think you left ya brain on the bus.

6. Are people stupid enough to believe this? ??

Groan, sigh and tut.

7. Yet another Hollywood starlet giving real bisexual women a bad name. Thanks, Evan. Now go and put some clothes on.

1. Whether she gives us a bad name or not, if she’s bi she’s bi. Loads of het or gay men are a**holes and loads of lesbian and het women say stupid things that make you cringe. Being bi only means she’s attracted over the course of her lifetime to same and other gender partners…. being a dork on top of that is just her lot in life.

1. She sounds less stupid in another interview I read:

“I grew up in love with David Bowie,” Wood said. “So I was always into very androgynous things. Guys, girls … I’m into androgyny in general.”

The world’s a big place, sexuality and attraction are greatly varied.

We all need to collectively lighten up and just let love & lust be.

8. “I’m more of like the guy when it comes to girls. I’m the dominant one. I’m opening the doors, I’m buying dinner. Yeah, I’m romantic.”

Boy (as it were), can she fit any more prejudices and pre/misconceptions into 4 short sentences?

1. TheSuburban Bi 20 Apr 2011, 1:45pm

True, her comments come across as stereotypical and ignorant, but I guess I cut people like that some slack when they’ve not said anything deliberately hateful but just blundered into a dumb comment.

Thing is, she’s an actress, not an activist — and though I know nothing about her (never seen her show), I would venture to guess she never spent a lot of time hanging about with the uni queer theory crowd getting all her LGBT terminology and the semiotics of bisexuality, or whatever, all hammered out.

She’s just a human being who dates human beings of more than one gender and is happy for anyone to know. Even though I found her comment about ‘playing the male’ or whatever very crude, at least she’s not hiding in the closet and hiding who she is and whom she loves. Good on her for that much.

2. PumpkinPie 21 Apr 2011, 6:58pm

To be honest, I don’t really see what’s so bad about this comment. It’s just careless language, that’s all. Unless you’re suggesting that society has moved on from “gender roles” already, which it blatantly hasn’t.

She’s not saying “all men are this way and all women are that way”, she’s just saying that men and women are regarded as acting certain ways by society, and she happens to fit the role of a specific gender when in certain relationships.

OK, her choice of phrase does reinforce the ridiculous notion about same-sex couples being some sort of “pretend” hetero couple, but I’m sure she didn’t mean it to be taken that way.

If you put what she meant into less clumsy words, it’s just a remark on how her tastes vary between genders. I found it pretty interesting, seeing as how I also have different preferences based on gender (kick-ass girls and cutesy guys). It’s not all that different from gay guys discussing who acts like a “top” and who acts like a “bottom”.

9. Oh that’s nice.
    She’s halfway there then.

1. You are disgusting. Get over yourself and realise that bisexual people are real and comfortable with their orientation.

2. Ah. Another bigot. Thank goodness they are becoming rare. Soon extict, we can all hope.

3. TheSuburban Bi 20 Apr 2011, 1:47pm

I wish that level of ignorance gave the people who spout it migraines.

10. David Myers 20 Apr 2011, 3:32am

You go sister Sookie! Ana Paquin is hot as a lesbian, and I’m a gay man, but I really do like Lafeyette!

11. Jock S. Trap 21 Apr 2011, 10:36am

Ok then.

12. Dominant one ? She really looks like to me as someone who would be into sadomasochism.