Irish trans woman wins £30,000 for discrimination

1. :} Congratulations, I hope the lady can now get on in her career without hassle.

1. when is the RATZInger pope going to stop wearing his dress?

Of course, a dress is a lot more simpler to wear when you are always expelling feces on other people.

A little of that crazy glue on his hole and his mouth hole would help.

2. Quite right too, no one should be asked to wear the clothes of the opposite gender just to make other people such as customers feel more comfortable. £30k is a decent amount and will make the company think again before discriminating like this. I wonder if FD had to pay the legal costs too? In which case it would cost them a lot more. Also would their public liability insurance cover them for discrimination? I suspect not, so even more painful for the company. Also could the Directors of the company be sued in a separate case? A win for common sense in my opinion.

3. Sharon Persky 18 Apr 2011, 6:42pm

This is remarkably similar to my case, where my employer wrote to people I knew asking about my sex life, Their opinion must have been that if I was having sex with a woman, I couldn’t be female myself.

They did not allow me access to female private spaces either, but they did put up with me attending work, including outside meetings dressed as I thought appropriately.

That case was 9 years ago however, have some companies still not learned anything

By the way, I’m still around, the company folded in 2008

4. Congrats to Louise, good on you! Paddyswurds will be spitting feathers. He’s so transphobic and the fact its happened in Ireland will send him in to overdrive.

5. DJ Sheepiesheep 18 Apr 2011, 11:19pm

Any organization that treats its trans employees in that way certainly does not deservevto have any. I hope she finds a place to work where she will be valued!

6. Lady Tanya 19 Apr 2011, 2:16am

Good for you Louise Hannon, glad you won your case.
    I have never had a problem with my works, they were so supporting with my transition, and still are, I even go around the country to other projects and talk with staff and clients about Transsexualty. .
    I work with people who have mental health problems.
    I have never had a bad word from the people I work with, or the people I look after.
    Love your words CMYB
    Love and peace to all

7. Jock S. Trap 19 Apr 2011, 8:09am

Good News. I am pleased for Louise.

Did wonder though how many more there are that suffer this kind of abuse and stay quiet.

I hope this case gives them the will to fight against such discrimination.

8. Chutneybear 19 Apr 2011, 10:17am

I do see Louise out and about on the scene. Fair play to her delighted she won!

9. Christine Beckett 19 Apr 2011, 11:32am

An expensive “mistake” for that company. And i would imagine that they would have been hit for costs too, as that is usually the case.

So a rather large bill just because the company, or its managers, wanted to be bigoted twats.

More info here.

10. A significant case and win! It’s a pity that the Tribunal doesn’t have the power to also make the employers undertake equality and diversity training.

11. when you hit a$$holes in their pocketbook their hearts and minds may just follow.

12. Typical