Gay couple ‘kicked out of Soho pub for kissing’

1. Something doesn’t fit about this story. Too much uncorroborated evidence; too many unidentified people. I think there’s a big chunk of the tale missing but who it would benefit – who knows?

1. There’s quite a bit of evidence, no? The couple themselves, the witnesses, the evasive woman on the phone?

2. Perhaps someone should remind that “lovely” landlady of the Regulations on the Provision on Goods and Services….

1. Reminds me of the first time I saw two men kiss, and btw one was black.

I was horrified, then realized I was at the washington DC gay rally in 2000,

Today I, as a str8 will kiss my gay friends on the neck if they do it first to me.

it is all about respect.

But note how homophobia permeates society. Thanks to churches.

Google southern evangelicals and child molestation

Look at http://www.nobeliefs.com/SIZAN.htm

But reverse the 5 letters in caps to get to the website.

and you will see the truth about the cathoic church

3. Jennie Kermode 14 Apr 2011, 12:02pm

And they say we don’t need the Equality Act…

4. Helen Wilson 14 Apr 2011, 12:03pm

According to the equality act this is against the law as you cant discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation. They need to go see a solicitor and get him to make a formal request for the pubs CCTV footage.

Then sue the pub’s landlords and owners.

1. jeremy fretshon 14 Apr 2011, 6:04pm

GET ITS LICENCE REVOKED THATS WHATS NEEDED

5. Sounds like a dream fairytale with so many mysterious people claiming to be someone important.
    If it’s true, however, we should fight. I thought Soho is the place in the world, where we could be safe? We should force those people out of our village

6. The John Snow is a Sam Smith-owned pub in Soho, the heart of London’s gay scene.

You can’t even kiss another guy in the heart of the gay scene…..what’s the point of the scene then?

I hope this lady stopped straight people kissing as well.

7. I hope this couple sue and make money. The law is on their side.

8. It’s true, and I know the couple in question. They, and witnesses, have been very public about it. The fact that others refuse to give names and details is – probably – because they know they’re in the wrong.

1. Then I suggest gay people go to the pub and kiss there. Tonight, tomorrow, the day after, the day after that….

Get the landlady on film. If it’s true, then we make an example of her and the management, and they will learn a very hard lesson.

1. I agree, lets provide the evidence.

Lets expose this landlady on film

1. Absolutely. This mustn’t be left alone. Either we have equality legislation to actually ensure we are treated equally, or we have it but it is nothing other than useless window-dressing.

There appears to be a possibility that the Equality Act may be scrapped. If we make a fuss about this discrimination at the “John Snow” pub, it will be blown up by the media and there’ll be 1000s of messages on threads all over the UK Internet saying that the “John Snow” incident PROVES the Equality legislation should be scrapped. We run that risk, of the tide turning against us.

But if we lie low and let the “John Snow” get away with this, then we slowly dig our own graves.

We must never forget the very very slow tide that turned against us in Germany in the 1930s. (I hope every gay man, lesbian, and trans has seen the film “A Love to Hide”, 2006.)

9. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 12:12pm

“I have every right to kick people out if I wish.”

Well we have ever right to stop ourselves and encourage others to boycott the pub til it goes out of business.

This is just wrong but given the location words fail me. I hope action is taken against these clearly discriminating pub.

Prehaps Sam Smith-owned pub should now reflect on the consequences of it’s actions.

This has no place in 2011.

10. The phone number for the pub is 020 7437 1344. Just in case anyone would like to give them their opinion on the article.

1. Do what the likes of Peter Tatchell did in the old days, go in there in mass, you can all just get half a pint of lemonade, all sit down and have a kiss, and see what they do then… get 50 of you in there doing it, take a camera… :)

1. Good thinking. But there is more profit made on a half of lemonade, so make it a half of beer!

1. No, make it tap water.

The law is funny on this though. Yes under the provision of goods and services, she broke the law, but a landlord can decide who he or she wants in their pub without any reason.

1. She only broke the goods and services act if she discriminated against gays. If she did the same thing to straights, there would be no case.

She is also entitled to throw them out under the Licensing Act 2003

2. Ask for tap water and refuse to pay for it.

3. Don’t pay for anything. Just go in there, sit down and start kissing.

2. jeremy fretshon 14 Apr 2011, 6:05pm

FLASH MOB TONIGHT SO I HEAR

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 4:44pm

Is that a “Flash n Kiss” mob?

Interesting, I’ll be there!!

11. If this is true then clearly the landlady should be fired.

Sam Smiths need to get rid of her.

Contact Sam Smiths as follows:

By post:

Samuel Smith Old Brewery
    High Street
    Tadcaster
    North Yorkshire
    LS24 9SB UK

By telephone (8.30am-5.00pm Mon-Fri):
    01937 832225
    from abroad 0044 1937 832225

12. it is most important that the couple sue, if their account of the incident is accurate. Until we know it is sensible to boycott Sam Smiths pubs.

13. Just boycott the sh1thole or bombarde the place with phone calls. Having someone claiming to be a plainclothes officer there with what ”looked like a badge” sounds suss. The woman sounds like a total toe rag, first she denies any knowledge of the event, then changes tact and says she can kick out whoever she likes.

14. You don’t have to have any reason at all to eject someone from a pub. It’s private property.

Talk of suing the pub is ridiculous. They can literally walk up to your table and throw you out without any explanation whatsoever, that’s the law. It’s a private building, you have no right to be there.

If they specifically said “we’re throwing you out because you are gay” and -crucially – you can prove that in a court of law then you might, just might, have a very small case – but you will spend more in legal fees than you will recover.

Best course of action is to boycott. Pissing off gay people is not a wise move for a pub located in Soho.

1. “Still, kissing in a really busy pub is just unnecessary anyway whether its gay or straight. I can see why it upsets people, and if someone asks you politely to stop it’s courteous to oblige them. I suspect what happened is more kissing went on simply to be antagonistic, at which point someone had to leave before it became fisticuffs and broken glasses.”

Ok, firstly neither you or me knows why this couple decided to carry on kissing.

Secondly, showing affection in public is unecessary? If someone asked me and my partner to stop kissing I would tell them simply to go and fcuk themselves. People have every right to express their fondness for one another without fear of reprisal.

1. “If someone asked me and my partner to stop kissing I would tell them simply to go and fcuk themselves. ”

OK so you don’t need to show any consideration for someone else’s personal feelings – to the point of being agressively rude in the face of a polite request, but they should be mindful of how you feel. Good argument fella.

You know if you’re kissing they could just stand next to you and scream obscenities, which might make you feel uncomfortable but if you don’t like that you can always put your fingers in your ears. Right?

A little courtesy for others makes the world go round. It’s a fact that very open and public displays of affection (whether gay or straight) in very public places make a lot of people uncomfortable. It wouldn’t kill you to respect that by toning it down.

1. There is a difference between being courteous and pandering to someone’s homophobia. If I were kissing a girl instead of a man then I would hasten to argue that they wouldn’t bother me.

Seriously, how can we say we want equality when many of us argue against it?

1. Well that’s kind of where we disagree, because a lot of people have the same problem with men and women kissing in public. I think it really depends on what type of kissing we’re actually talking about. There’s a big gulf between a peck on the lips and basically raunchy sex with clothes on – and a whole load of levels in between the two. One is intrusive to a lot of people and the other isn’t, and then there’s shades of gray.

I think there is a tendency for gay people to assume any public criticism is motivated by homophobia, when really it’s just good old fashioned english prudishness. Whether that’s a form of prejudice is another argument, but I’d say not it’s just cultural.

Saying ‘just ignore it’ is a kind of non-argumetn, because you can say that about a whole range of stuff that technically ‘doesn’t hurt anyone’ but that we consider to be publically pretty offensive, like spitting (just water), pissing on the street (actually cleans the street), farting (natural act)

2. RObert clearly cannot read an article properly. he bangs on about others being offended by raunchy kissing, while in the article it is crystal clear that the straight people nearest the gay couple were not in the least bit offended and actually stuck up for the couple. So Robert’s whingeing rant on here can be ignored

1. I’ve worked in a few pubs, and when you’re one of the few sober ones, watching people kiss is a little uncomfortable, but I didn’t have to work in a pub, you don’t have to go to a pub if you feel uncomfortable there either.

This was a first date, so I doubt the kissing would have been tonsil hockey style, and even if it was, a busy pub on a friday night? Would anyone have seen anything to complain about?

Remember the age that most landlords will be, they’ll be older generations who don’t like “that kinda thing”, and will have their prejudices the same way we all do, rightly or wrongly.

All I know is, I’ve never seen anyone of any sexuality being kicked out of a pub for kissing, being violent and aggressive or drunk yes, but never for kissing.

2. A pub is NOT private property, hence it is privy to the Goods and Services act. If you are being thrown out for doing something a straight person can get away with you can probably prove that you are being discriminated against.

1. The owner, or his/her agent can ask anyone to leave at any time and that person must leave.

Whether or not it is private property is an entirely separate issues to its obligations under the Sale of Good and Services Act.

As has previously been pointed out the couple would have to prove that they were being treated differently to a straight couple kissing and I would imagine that would be quite difficult.

2. no, no, no.

We don’t take other people’s hurt feelings and prejudices into consideration. Otherwise, we would be allowing homophobic thugs mitigating circumstances too.

Kissing hurts no-one else. Would the same rules apply to straight people? I think not. We need to go in there and order a drink and show affection. It’s porecisely because of this that gay people force themselves into their own ghetto. This is 2011, not 1984.

1. as they guy pointed out , if you don’t like people kissing in public, then you’ve got a neck, use it and turn your head away..kissing isn’t offensive to most people, even for Northern blokes in Northern Europe..

2. “Kissing hurts no-one else. Would the same rules apply to straight people? I think not.”

For me, i don’t give a crap about the sexual orientation of those kissing. I don’t want to be sat shoulder to shoulder with two people chewing each other’s faces off. Full stop.

1. Maybe you are just bitter cause you never get a snog. I think its great to see straight or gay peeps kissing whereever it is. This is not dubai.

1. As much as I would hold back form calling you bitter rapture has a point.

People are expressing a fondness for one another – stop being so Victorian.

2. We disagree about something therefore I must be bitter about something. What a ‘liberal’ mind you have there!

3. Mendirin

It would be nice if I could be entitled to my views without being pejoratively labelled [victorian] by you or anyone else.

Once again it’s funny how people espousing tolerance for their own preferences often fail to display any tolerance for those of others.

4. Commander Thor 14 Apr 2011, 6:13pm

Robert, you will earn this right when you understand why “I don’t want to be sat shoulder to shoulder with two people chewing each other’s faces off.” was pejorative. Bonus points if you apologise.

5. Thor says:

***
            ***

Yes it’s pejorative in the same sense any statement of my personal dislikes. Saying “I don’t like mushrooms” is pejorative, but it’s a totally different thing to calling someone names and making far flung assumptions about them, because they have a different point of view to you on a very specific topic.

I won’t be apologising to anyone, least of all someone like yourself – waffling with such sanctimony about having to ‘earn’ tolerance and yet seemingly failing to see either their own hypocrisy or the huge problem with that sentiment in the context of this argument.

2. the issue here is only if the same rules apply to straight people. There has never been any evidence of straight people being kicked out for kissing. The gay couple were not indulging in anything offensive as evidence by the support they had from the couples next to them. So you are putting up an irrelevant argument.

1. I’m a straight man and have, in fact, kissed my girlfriend in the John Snow before – more than once – without any kind of reprisal.

I won’t be going there again, mind you.

2. “There has never been any evidence of straight people being kicked out for kissing.”

I hasten to add that in this case there is no *evidence* of gay people being kicked out for kissing either. Let’s not let that get in the way of the lynch mob though.

3. Robert, There is a big difference between an innocent kiss and ‘chewing someone’s face off’. pffft. if thats how You kiss? no wonder ppl don’t want to see you doing it. eeww.

4. Are you paddyswurds under another name?

15. Whatever happenned to the Greencoat boy incident last year? Any lessons to be gained? I think just a sacking (of who?) doesn’t give much of a message…the people involved are a bit wooly, drunken landlrd, lady publican, police officer….it doesn’t answer any legal questions etc

16. northernsoul 14 Apr 2011, 12:40pm

What always gets lost in the rush to ‘j’accuse’, is that quite frankly, in an old fashioned boozer, as in the street or on the tube, non-stop kissing is very poor taste. Outside of bars and clubs, both gays and straights need to get a room! We are Northern Europeans i.e. we must display a modicum of decorum in public, unlike our sleazy Southern neighbours on the continent. As David Cameron noted this morning, all immigrants must also make an effort to integrate, so even if you’re foreign it’s no excuse!

1. LMAO, yes us sophisticated northern Europeans must behave with dignity whereas our loose limbed and immoral southern neighbours need a good hosing down with cold water. Which countries were you suggesting? We can do a derby of the sleaziest countries in Europe and take a readers’ vote.

1. northernsoul 14 Apr 2011, 2:24pm

Megalolz – Spain, Italy and the South of France wouldn’t be a bad place to start – undoubtedly the effect of that Mediterranean sunshine, which wilts good morals as it invigorates the genitals!

1. You’re for real right?

Oh jeezus on a cross.

17. @Robert: it is no longer true that you can eject someone from a pub for any reason. If you do so because of a protected characteristic (gender, race, sexual orientation etc.) of the ejectee you are contravening the Equality Act.

It’s time we put this myth to bed.

1. Quite correct Harry as was upheld when a pub landlord of a pub owned by Bar & Taverns Company Limited stated that Travelling people ( protected under ethnicity grounds) were barred from the pub, he was sacked and the ban rescinded within 24 hours. It really means that a Public House is in fact not private any more than the Bulls house was when they turned it into a B&B

2. I didn’t say you can eject someone for any reason. I said you don’t need to have a reason. There’s a difference.

So if you state a reason for ejecting someone, then you have to be careful. Care to show me where it says the two guys were ejected because of their sexual orientation?

They were ejected for kissing after being asked to stop. It’s not an equality issue. Yes it’s possible homophobia was a motivation, good luck proving that in a court of law.

3. according to the Guardian “The case is intriguing legally. The Licensing Act 2003 gives a landlord the right to eject customers. But the Equality Act 2010 says everyone must be treated equally in the provision of goods and services. For a successful defence against any legal action under the act, the landlord would have to prove he had ejected heterosexual couples for similiarly overt displays of intimacy.”

18. This story surprises me a lot.

I drink in the John Snow fairly frequently, often in the company of other gay people. Although it’s not a gay pub, I get the impression that many of the drinkers there are gay, often quite obviously. And I’m sure I’ve seen couples, both gay and straight, in there kissing.

The man I’ve always assumed to be the landlord certainly doesn’t come over as homophobic. I had quite a long chat with him last year about the lack of gay pubs serving real ale, and it was obvious from that conversation that he’d been in many of gay bars in Soho, though I’m certain he wasn’t gay himself.

So unless the landlord has changed recently, I’m guessing it was either a temporary landlady covering for the regular guy’s holiday, or there’s a lot more to the story than is being presented. Either way, I recommend not boycotting the place just on the basis of this story.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 1:24pm

Sound like it is the case. I sense an apology coming.

2. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 1:30pm

..I’m ever so suspicious of this story. Is it possible that rather than the quick discreet kiss any couple would do, they were going for it, full on snogging and who knows what else. If there were homophobic customers or the odd god freak then possibly there was a complaint.
      If they were so inclined , leave and “get a room” as our Yankee cousins are wont to say.
      This sounds like another “inappropriate place” story similar to the Sauna story of a couple of weeks back. We simply must have regard for other peoples feelings no matter how militant we are. It wasn’t a gay bar and they should have respected that.

1. Paddy, you are officially an idiot. I guess you think black people should kiss in other rooms to white people. And Jewish people shouldn’t wear a Kippah in public. And I guess you don’t think LGBT should be able to hold hands in public, as that may offend someone. And you probably think that transgendered should just stay indoors, we know how much the ‘straights’ are offended by that. You are truly pathetic.

1. well said. prudes are very easily offended by affection. I remember getting kicked out of a gay bar when i was 16 for kissing my fella and asked to tone it down . Some peeps are so dull , have no sex life and want no one else to either. However i have been to various straight venues and been a lot naughtier and no problem. Go figure?I wish there was more visibility of gay affection in public , it would desensitize peeps intolerance.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 7:08pm

Seems like you would like to see people rutting in the streets like the baser animals. It would do nothing to desensitise peoples intolerance, as you so intelligently put it.
            “Some peeps are so dull” just about sums you up.

2. @paddy you are limp in every way, but some of us enjoy foreplay and sex. you are such an idiot , i’m so bored of you now , your only use would be as a human toilet but i don’t think filth like you even deserves that privilege.

2. Hello, “Eddy”. I hope your name truly IS “Eddy” and that you are not intentionally seeking to appear as me, the Eddy who was highly active in these pages from 2007 to 2010.

Perhaps from now on we should both add to our names the first letter of our surnames, in which case I would appear as “Eddy B”. How would you appear?

3. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 3:34pm

eddy…
          ….you have some cheek to call me an idiot and then go on to write the rubbish you did. Using the old racist, anti semitism thing i see. Well anyone reading my post and then your anti Irish rant will see you for the imbecile you clearly are. You can “probably” and “guess” all you want but it will still be seen for what it is ; your attitude and you attempting to transfer that to someone whose comments you dont like. Typically schoolyard bully stuff and it won’t wash with anyone of the slightest intelligence who reads it. There is a time and a place for full on snogging , straight or gay and a crowded pub is neither the place or time. I would tell you to grow up but it would be an exercise in futility.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:08pm

@Ed and rap…
            ….YAWN…..

2. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 1:58pm

Paddys…

I think in this case its a place in soho where all are accepted. I have been there a few times and have seen both gay and straight couples kiss and with no bat of an eyelid. That has been the case for quite some years. Sadly it take one person to react to tarnish a place but the person throwing them out should known the place or at least the area. It’s take bad apple that is the one in the wrong place not the gay couple.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:22pm

@Jock….
          …..I suspect that the two kissers in question may be a pair of trouble makers with the manners of …wlee is there anything with manners so base , i doubt it. I have no problem with a kiss like one would give ones boyfriend or girlfriend when they would join you at your table ,or such like but i suspect there was a soggging session and possibly something else and when told to cool it these two were just rude and obnoxious as their type often is, and spoiling things and the ambience for everyone else. I also suspect that the manager on the night had had complaints which couldn’t be ignored in a mixed pub which is essentially “straight” altho in an ostensively gay area. This is really just another story similar to the straight sauna story. These people give GLBs a bad name, and it will end up where we are treated like Travellers are because of the trouble caused by these sort of unmannerly and uncultured yobs..

3. paddyswurds.. did you read the whole story? eyewitnesses have stated freely that their kissing was Not over the top at all, and not offensive to those witnesses sitting near by. The ones who had the issue was the persons stating she was the landlady who refused to give her name, and the other staff member.. Funny enough the witnesses have quite openly given their details, as they have nothing to hide..

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:31pm

@JS …
          …yes i did read it but i stand by my take on it The witness’s while giving their details aren’t any more reliable than the two in question. The cctv , if there is any, fottage should settle the row pretty quick. I have been present in licenced premises where similar rows have ensued with management and tbh if the people in question are under 25 their manners leave a lot to be desired.Yobs for the most part who tell management to “go fcuk” themselves and other such ripe language. Unintelligent and uncultured yobs, a lot of them who spoil nights out for a lot of people. If they wanted to get it on in public why go to a straight pub, one of the very few in the area.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:34pm

error…
            …footage…*obv.

19. something similar has happened to me, in a bar in Sunderland (of all places) which promoted itself as ‘gay-friendly’ and ran a gay night on a Tuesday. I think I was there on a Thursday and was asked to stop kissing my girlfriend. May I add I was kissing her under a pride flag which was on the pub ceiling – oh the irony…

20. Sam Smith owned pub – are the brewery looking into it? If not then let’s get a list of the Sam Smith owned pubs in London and put them on here as venues that gay people should avoid.

21. Paul Kendrick 14 Apr 2011, 1:32pm

I’m very glad that Jonathan has been given such overwhelming public support; If I had known how people would react, I would have spoken out about the (many) times in my life I have been in exactly this situation! (Never anywhere in Soho, mind you…)

22. Something doesn’t sound right. This woman said that straight couples would also be asked to leave? Does she think we’re idiots or what? With all the problems in society, people are having hissy fits because two people of the same gender are kissing? Why aren’t they objecting to straight couples, married or otherwise involved, snogging in public, in the streets, on the beach, holding hands even?

23. John Snow was a religionist!

I bet the Street Pastors are now trying again to mussel in around Soho:

1. “Mussel in”? I don’t see what shellfish have to do with it.

2. Dan Filson 14 Apr 2011, 7:25pm

John Snow was the man who identified the cause of cholera in drinking water, and one of the best men to name a pub after. That however is completely irrelevant to the issue under discussion.

3. While you’re on the subject of Streetpastors. . .( which is completely irrelevent to this particular news article) they actually do a very worthwhile job, offering care and support without ramming religion down your throat. Don’t really see why you’ve mentioned them on this thread.

1. Yes, Street Pastors are probably irrelevant under this article but they have an appalling record of bad behavior towards the LGBT community.

24. In response to this article, I have set up a Facebook group urging people to boycott the pub until they issue a formal apology for their conduct. please join the group to show your support.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:42pm

@Ed …
      …were you there or how does this involve you. Who appointed you as mob leader i wonder??
      I think it is the yobs in question who need to apologise for their unforgivable behaviour, by spoiling a lot of peoples night out in a “straight” pub. These sort of supposedly gay yobs are giving the rest of us a bad name and need to be brought to heel. What has happened to manners and decorum?

1. Well so long as you stay in your ghetto you’ll be fine.

Are you one of those repressed prudish people?

Someone kissing does not impinge on other people on any way.

Eyewitnesses have stated that they were not snogging in an obscene manner.

The fact that you choose to believe that they were says quite a bit about your personality.

Do you get embarrassed getting naked in front of your doctor?

25. Jennieatrix 14 Apr 2011, 1:57pm

If this turns out to be a true story – the pub should be blacklisted by gays everywhere and shunned for the Middle ages attitude they have – let them feel it in there pocketbooks!

And I cant stand overt PDA’s Generally -

1. 118 people attending so far!! and from the looks of some of the profile pics of those confirmed there’s gonna be some talent there. If only the booze at the John Snow was up to scratch- the place would be jammed on the day.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:47pm

….YAWN… Why does your comment above not surprise me. Typically vacuous.

1. As oopposed to your dreary prudishness.

You’re Irish aren’t you?

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

Did you come of age during a time when if an unwed woman got pregnant she was sent to a convent for her whorishness, and after the birth she was sold into domestic service while her child grew up in an orphanage where they were repeatedly raped by priests?

Or are you just a prude?

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:56am

Probably just a prude ..No I was reared, not dragged up and was taught that one should have regard for the feelings of others. A kiss or two is fine but two people practically rutting in a mixed pub is not on, be they gay, straight or any other permutation you care to come up with. There are plenty of gay pubs in the area where their behaviour would have been acceptable and annoyed no one.
            Believe it or not I am very out and have no problem getting naked in front of anyone never mind my doc. I am absolutely not a prude. I just can’t see the point of causing a fuss if it can be easily avoided.It does us no favors.

2. I doubt he is even irish , he is a fantasist, compulsive liar ,an internet stalker , a homophobic racist going by some of his threads who has refferred to english males as “trash” in a previous thread. You cannot have any intellectual debate discussion with such an extreme facist simpleton best ignored like a bad smell and not fuel it further.

2. great comment, maybe we can sneak some in.

2. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:43pm

@zefrog….
      ….see my post above and think on it.

26. Isn’t this why gay bars exist??

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:58am

Hear, hear….

1. Bollo*ks

We have a right to kiss and hug where we bloody well please.

Get over yourselves. I’m gay, I love my partner and there is no-one who’s going to stand there shouting at me for being obscence.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:06pm

@mendirin….
          ….if someone is SHOUTING at you it may be because of your spelling….lol

27. Finton Stack 14 Apr 2011, 2:47pm

The idea that this is legal because a pub can refuse to serve anyone just isn’t true. A pub *can* refuse to serve anyone they wish, without providing an explanation, but a pub *cannot* refuse to serve anyone for any reason they wish: this is well established in numerous cases brought under Sex Discriminaiton and Race Relations Act.

1. You’re right – although it’s actually the Equality Act these days.

2. Yep, and does anyone here have any proof that the pub ejected these two people because of their sexuality – and by proof, I mean *actual* proof – not heresay and inflammatory journalism.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:52pm

Exactly. The landlord can say that their behaviour was cause for concern as “several other patrons” had objected and that he felt that it was necessary for the security and safety of the rest of his patrons. Actually if the police had been called the two yobs could be charged with causing an affray according to my policeman nephew.

1. The ‘security and safety of the rest of his patrons’?

Are you suggesting that they might catch the gay if they witness 2 guys kissing?

What safety issues are caused by seeing 2 guys kissing?

Have you written to the BBC to complain aboiut the latest adultery story on Eastenders?

Does your monastery allow internet access?

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 1:12am

@ David …
            …I presume you are being facetious as no one could be that stupid.
            If there were complaints from other patrons and there was a possibility of trouble because of the actions of these two, then the security and safety of the rest of the patrons would certainly be in jeopardy. There may well have been people there who would cause trouble just for the fact there were gay men present never mind displaying affection for each other. It is essentially a straight pub as you know and in such an environment it is best to err on the side of caution.

I afraid i’m unable to comment on the behaviour of the people of the East End, but if they want to be adultrous it is non of my business. Im an atheist and really have no thoughts pro or con on adultry.

As far as i know there are no monasteries in my area, but if there was i’m sure they would be able to access the internet as I can. Broadband covers all of the area I live in. Do you sell internet access or why do you ask?.

28. I think we need to arrange a kiss-in!

29. Andrew Newman 14 Apr 2011, 4:03pm

After calling the public house to ask if they allow kissing it seem that many of our brethren have done the same. Keep it coming.
    So who is up for smooch there this evening.

1. jeremy fretshon 14 Apr 2011, 6:03pm

everyone on twitter it seems keep it coming get down there

I PREDICT A RIOT!!

FLASH MOB

1. I hope so

30. Pathetic really. Sounds like a bagful of excuses. Who cares if two gay men kiss?

“A straight couple would also be asked to leave for kissing.” Like hell they would. I despise hypocrites & liars.

“I have every right to kick people out if I wish.” Very slippery N*zi slope there. This false logic gives her the right to do anything she wants.

No you don’t have the right to throw out whoever you like if they’re doing nothing wrong.

If this continues I suggest a group of major protest, that all gay male & lesbian couples, deliberately hold national kiss-ins in all straight bars and public places around the UK on specific days.

Why the hell fools like this ignorant woman haven’t become familiarised with this yet I don’t know. Two adults kissing, whatever gender or sexuality is totally fine. Two adults loving each other is totally natural. There’s too much hate in this world as it is.

Seems they’ve become easily familiarised & used to the death & destruction of illegal wars just fine?

31. I go with a lot of the comments on here, I find full-on snogging in public offensive, be it gay or straight. Get a fcuking room!

That said, I quiet word in their shell-likes is usually enough to rectify matters.

It sounds to me from the comments of these two that they then played the ‘gay card’ and accused them of homophobia, which kicked off into an almighty row and got them thrown out, which any pub is legally entitled to do without any reason whatsoever.

I would be surprised if a straight pub in the middle of Soho is homophobic considering the amount of passing trade and they have seen it all before. Pink pounds are just as wanted as green ones.

1. Sorry? “I would be surprised if a straight pub in the middle of Soho is homophobic.” Then be surprised. It’s more about her than the whole pub. This woman’s act was blatant homophobia. And if you don’t want to see people kiss ever, gay or straight, then stay indoors, draw the curtains and stay there forever. Remember also never to turn the TV on.

Stop coming on here & trying to twist words to justify acts of blatant homophobia. Who do you think you’re kidding exactly? No-one here. We’ve had it all our lives, we know exactly where, when and who it comes from.

Why exactly do you come here? What’s your agenda exactly? Please tell us all.

Will you now ask for a ban of kissing on all films and TV shows, if it disgusts you so.

Pull the other one, it’s got bells on. OK.

It’s people like you who say ‘Hitler had a point, he just went a bit too far’. :/

2. Spanner’s postings have become my guilty pleasure! there is nothing in the above post that isn’t concise, sensible and sharp as a tack.

3. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 8:06pm

@Spanner…
      …Hear, Hear.
      I’m surprised you didn’t get the Eddy treatment. Perhaps he didn’t see your comment yet.7

1. I’ve never heard of the bloke and he manages to drop Godwin’s law in on the first post!

RedDevil: No sunshine, the onus is on other people to demonstrate some decency and decorum in public, not for me to stay indoors and suffer because they are sucking each other’s faces off.

1. ‘Godwin’s Law’ :D

Are you having a laugh? So we can’t call Sh*tler, or the BNP N*zis? Or all the others just like them because of some pr*ck called Godwin? Sorry, this is the real world and I say what I see. My world doesn’t provide excuses for people to behave like N*zis.

Doesn’t that just mean that people like you can say what the hell you like and we can’t point out if you’re actually a stone cold N*zi?

Stuff your ridiculous ‘Godwin’s Law’. OK! Just because that idiot thinks it ‘trivialises the Holocaust’? What he really means is, ‘don’t ever mention the Holocaust’. Mr Godwin is himself a N*zi lol.

Not a guy either by the way. But perhaps you’re not used to us having opinions. What the hell am I doing out of the kitchen right?

Are you a gay spanner? A gay spanner that defends homophobes? :D Not on my watch you don’t.

1. “Funny how only ignorant assholes bring ‘Godwin’s Law’ up to defend their own ignorance. You’d never hear a tolerant person bring it up.”

It’s also funny how people compare a pub landlord to a regime that slaughtered millions of people.
            Get some fcking perspective!

And my name?
            It’s because I like to throw one in the works.

2. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 3:36pm

And if I remember rightly, the names because under your others your were banned?

32. jeremy fretshon 14 Apr 2011, 6:01pm

i think that nasty pub and the bigot landlord/ lady are trending on twitter. Plan is a riot tonight at 6-7pm Aim to get her arrested and the pub’s licence revoked.

Join in on twitter and join us there tonight. WE WILL NOT BE HARRASSED IN SOHO. Gays have made soho what it is today. Samuel Websters Brewery should be taken to court for this action

33. A Geordie abroad 14 Apr 2011, 6:03pm

Obvioulsy a hate incident and needs investigating as such – unless this would create undue bureaucracyof course ;-)
    If this were a black couple thrown out of a pub there would be a police Gold Group set up by now!

1. WHY is it “obviously a gay hate incident”?
      You have heard one side of what is obviously a very dodgy situation.

I wish people on here would stop taking this stuff as gospel and assuming there is some homophobic agenda going on here. Maybe they were just a pair of mouthy queens that didn’t get their own way, were asked to leave and so caused a ruckus.

1. What the hell are you? What kind of creature are you Spanner?

What kind of person comes here every day to bash on gays?

Are you a closet gay? Did the gay guy at work get a promotion and you didn’t? Is he more popular than you? Do you fancy him?

Are you a religious nonce at all, so make it your goal to come here day in and day out to beat on gays. Perhaps you should join the Phelps in the US. Or perhaps you are a Phelps.

Perhaps you’re 60 year old fat man, sat there in his underpants thinking he’s king of the world at his keyboard.

But seriously, what are you Spanner? I know I’d break you in just a few minutes in person. You’d never come back here again I can assure you of that.

What do you gain from all this bashing and why do you bother doing it? Please tell us all. Come on, we’re all listening. What shade of sh*t is between your ears?

34. jeremy fretshon 14 Apr 2011, 6:12pm

Iand Dale apparently trying to get the couple and representatives of the pub on his LBC show tonight 7pm. Hope it coincides with the flash mob kiss in.

Stonewall 2.

Apparently met police advide not to kettle gays in a riot but to Tea Pot them..

1. Excellent :D

35. why people insist on kissing in pubs, i just want to enjoy a drink without being forced to watch cheap entertainment of that sort

1. Dan Filson 14 Apr 2011, 7:29pm

Whether it is cheap entertainment depends on who is involved. It’s very rare that deep snogging is a pleasure to watch, but I can just envisage circumstances where…

36. Dan Filson 14 Apr 2011, 7:41pm

So far as I’m aware, the John Snow is not a pub full of gay people normally, somewhat away from Old Compton Street, so not exactly in the heart of the gay area of Soho. If snogging offended other customers – and the landlady isn’t under an obligation, I would think, to cite exactly who objected – then I don’t think it unreasonable for her to tell the relevant customers to tone it down. She hadn’t refused to serve them on grounds of sexual orientation, so is not in breach of law at that point. I doubt a flash mob will achieve much, save publicity (its primary aim). So the best course of action might be to round up 50 people who can spare a fortnight to go into the pub every day for a fortnight, and between 5 & 7 order a half of mild or similar, sit nursing it for long periods (an hour say) before ordering another, meanwhile conducting quiet but perhaps obviously gay conversations, with the occasional light peck on a cheek. This should either make it a gay pub or ruin it – a win-win.

37. Phillip Levett 14 Apr 2011, 8:08pm

I have to agree with you on this one, if you take a knee jerk reaction you might be shutting down a nice little pub. The stealth and un-handed approach is more subtly and will yends the same results without, giving the pub any sort of publicity. Remember any publicity is always good for a company of any size.

38. Helen Wilson 14 Apr 2011, 9:00pm

The Guardian article fills in a few more details.

1. Hi Helen

Thanks for the Guardian article link

Very interesting coverage, which appears to be supportive, and promoting a “kiss in” next week

2. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:20am

@Helen Wilson..
      …..Thanks for the link Helen. I must say that the Guardian article is a lot more informative and unbiased. The photo of the two in question doesn’t look like they are your typical yobs looking for trouble. However who can tell, perhaps they are over zealously militant and got a little over heated in their discourse to the management. A hard one to call but i don’t think a flash mob is helpful as mooted on the social networks. I would advocate a boycott for a few months would be more advantagous, as then the landlords takings would show which side his bread is buttered on.

1. “….as their type often is”?

Sound familiar?

Oh, but now you’ve read about them in the Guardian, and they look like such *nice* boys…

With repressed ass-hats like you, who needs enemies? Quit projecting your self-loathing onto others.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 1:53am

@David s…
          ….where did you find the quote such “nice” boys….
          I have read 99% of the comments on this thread and can’t find anyone calling these two trouble makers “nice” boys. The only enemies these two have are themselves. It’s a pity that schools don’t teach manners as part of the curriculum or maybe they do and these two yobs chose to be just educated yobs, probably the worst kind, again, as their type often are.

1. Where did I say I was quoting anyone with the word “nice”?

Are you capable of sticking to what has been written rather than making up stories so you can feel smug?

What a twat.

2. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:19pm

You used quotation marks which on these threads usually means you are quoting someone…..Feeling better now that you have called me a name….?

3. I quoted YOU. Can’t you even recognise your own drivel?

Look at where the quotation marks are, then read it slowly. Try to do it without moving your lips.

Sheesh – Internet trolls are getting dumber by the day.

4. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:24pm

@DavidS….
            ….make up your mind…”.Where did I say I was quoting anyone with the word “nice”?
            Then you admit you WERE quoting me, but i never used the word “nice” in any post on this thread. You are confused poor dear. Time for your nap maybe?

5. What words were quoted in my reply to you? Clue: it’s the words within the *quote* marks.

The word “nice” is NOT in quotes – why on earth would you think I’m quoting you by using it?

The evidence is right up there in the post above. Wriggling around trying to look clever doesn’t change the facts. Then again, facts appear to be something you prefer to avoid…

2. Helen Wilson 15 Apr 2011, 1:07am

Two nerdy looking men go out on a first date, have dinner then goto the John Snow to sample the selection of ciders. They exchange a few kisses the decide to part company and go home. They kiss once more and are dragged out the pub by the landlord. Those kisses cant of been all that passionate for them to be going home alone.

They hardly sound like radical do they!

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 1:57am

@ Helen …
          ….no just a pair of educated yobs, the worst kind as they should clearly know better. Where did you come up with the idea they were parting company btw?

1. @ Paddyswurds: I don’t disagree with many of the things you’ve said, but I’m not sure how you’ve come so quickly to the conclusion these boys are yobs, educated or otherwise.

2. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:34pm

@Rehan…
            ….. the fact that, by their own admission, they carried on “kissing” after they were asked several times to stop, marks them as yobs on my book.
            Manners are easily carried as my Gran would say and in this case manners and decorum were called for especially as this was in a”straight” pub, albeit a mixed one.
            Instead they caused a scene and i’m sure spolied the enjoyment of an evening out for a lot of people.

3. @ Paddyswurds: hm – I think ‘yobs’ might be a bit harsh in this instance. The first time they were asked to stop was by a man who appeared drunk, so it might be the yobbishness was the other way round. The article on the BBC website fleshes out the story a bit more.

3. David Myers 15 Apr 2011, 2:16am

Paddyswurds – you are such an appologist! You lean over backwards to assume the worst of our own community in the interest of not offending anyone. If you had been a leader in the gay/lesbian rights movement, we would have never achieved anything! I so sick of listening to (reading) your trolling comments. Grow up!

1. agreed , paddyswurds has shown himself as a self hating homophobe, time and time again. He is a complete fantasist , invents an existance we all know is fabrication, actually i doubt he’s even irish , irish peeps have dignity. It’s so predictable what his posts will entail . He stalks these threads and actually counts the number of posts people have made. Paddy is seriously disturbed , hes good for a laugh briefly but tedious now , best ignore.

2. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:44pm

@David Myers….
          ….as you will have noticed i have made it easy for you to spot my comments by adding an Avatar and so you can swiftly move on to the intelligent and thoughtful comments of rapture, Eddy and CMWB. As you won’t be reading my comments, i won’t have the rather tedious chore of having to reply to your abusive replies. By the way i suggest you look up trolling.

**To set the record straight one doesn’t have to count anyones comments, as PN helpfully does that for one.

4. A boycott of a pub is very hard to organise, methinks.

39. What evidence is there to suggest a straight couple indulging in the same level of snogging would not similarly have been kicked out? Again the gay militant lobby with nothing better to do having fought for and won most rights now grasping at straws, over-reacting and screaming blue murder without full access to the evidence of what actually happened. No better than your GLAAD counterparts in the US who have resorted to pouncing on gay-friendly TV shows like Glee for daring to using the uber offensive (cough, cough) term “tranny”. Reality check pur-leeease!

1. What evidence is there to suggest that a straight couple ‘indulging’ in the same level of snogging would have been kicked out?

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:10am

@Rehan…
        ….isnt your point the two ends of the same argument and as such an oxymoron? At the moment there probably isn’t evidence for either end of the argument but would be quite easy for the landlord to “set up” in his favour if you see what i mean. This could badly backfire and end up as a very unseemly riot out of which the GLB community would emerge looking very bad.

1. Commander Thor 15 Apr 2011, 12:23am

@Paddyswurds, wasn’t his post meant to be ironic? Take it out mate.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:06am

…… actually no i don’t think so, and if it was meant to be ironic he has failed miserably, especially as several commentatore have made the same point earlier.
            Perhaps he is American or better still maybe you are; Americans “don’t do irony”.
            “Take it out mate” ….your last comment has me mystified as i cant see the relevance of me taking out my cock at this juncture….or why you should advise such an action. What would be the point?

2. Not exactly an oxymoron, but certainly the flip side. And while unoriginal, a point that appears necessary to make over and over again. The whole incident really does seem like a major overreaction, especially 15 minutes before closing time.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:53pm

@Rehan….
            ….thank you for your reply.
            It is so refreshing to get intelligent replies which aren’t filled with abuse and unnecessary hatred as is the style of 3 or 4 of the more ignorant people posting on these threads. It is so tedious when one has to try rebutting their illiterate delusions. Some of them even behave and comment as if they knew one intimately. but from now on i intend to totally ignore them and let other posters form their opinions of the replies and comments i get. It won’t be easy but needs must.!!

2. Heh – you’re welcome, Paddyswurds. You’ll note how gracefully I glided over the calumnious implication that any irony on my part was a miserable failure!

3. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:31pm

@Rehan….
            ….sorry to have implied that but as i was sure you weren’t being ironic the failure observation was more a comment on Thors assertion that you were being ironic, if you see what i mean/meant. Apologies.

40. C’mon, this is nothing more than playing the gay card and “straight-baiting”. What if a straight couple went into Comptons and started putting on a show for the office boyz on their way home from work. Exactly. Really, some people on here day in, day out, really need to get out more.

1. er, i was in Comptons last night and there was a straight couple at the bar, holding hands and occasionally kissing. nobody thought they were playing the straight card or asked them to be thrown out. You know what? im not threatened by striaght people, or anyone else that isn’t like me either.

2. Um – they wouldn’t get kicked out.

I’ve seen straight couples in Comptons having a snog.

So many of the posters on here seem like Daily Mail readers

I guess our reputations as a nation of repressed, sex-hating prudes is well deserved.

41. Just so pathetic. If two girls were kissing, no straight guy on the planet would have complained. As long as they were femme in some way of course :/ Two butches & he wouldn’t be getting as much of a semi.

I’m sick of people saying ‘playing the gay card’. No-one is playing the gay card. What the hell are gay people supposed to do exactly? Every time they’re treated like a third class citizen & complain, they’re accused of playing the ‘gay card’.

My guess is that some of the assholes here have a full list of cards to say people use whenever they’re attacked. Race card, gay card, Muslim card, immigrant card, disabled card, feminist card…

You need to wake the feck up. Everyone is a minority somehow. When this happens to yourself for real & you feel powerless to do anything about it, & you know it’s a blatant attack on YOUR minority, then I hope everyone dismisses it every time it happens to you & tells you, ‘you’re playing a card’.

When did these pages attract so many N*zis?

1. Very true.

I very much doubt the straight patrons of the John Snow would have displayed any negative reacton to a lesbian kiss.

I suspect that the gay people blaming this incident on the gay men in this story are probably of an age where they still deny their sexuality depending on who they are speaking to.

The younger generation has thankfully rejected this absurd prudishness,

If people like Spannerswwurds are offended by kissing then they should form a knitting circle and stay indoors.

42. Check out this Comment I’ve found about the Pub!
    Saturday 31st October, 2009
    This place can be OK for a quiet afternoon drink, but the staff can be tetchy. I arranged to meet a friend of mine here once, and he dared to go to the toilets before buying a drink. The barman challenged him, rudely insisting he couldn’t use the loo before buying a drink first.(It wasn’t like my friend was dressed as a tramp or anything , plus why would anyone sneak in for a wee here when theres free public toilets just outside?) The barman’s OTT heavy handedness made my friend walk out in disgust, and we can no longer meet up there.

43. ChantryBear 15 Apr 2011, 12:37am

Gay or straight, anything but a quick kiss is gross. If people want to slobber over one another, or their dogs, then please get a room!

1. Helen Wilson 15 Apr 2011, 12:57am

Sounds like you have intimacy issues, I recommend counselling!

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:14am

@ Helen Wilson…
        …..It is so gratifying to know that we have such learned personages as doctors on these pages to detect, diagnose and recommend appropriate treatment for our ills.
        Pity we don’t have councillors resident in hostelries in our inner cities ready to give manners counciling to the unmannerly yobs who frequent such places.

2. ChantryBear 15 Apr 2011, 8:59am

And you obviously are a voyeur! Check out the word ‘intimate’ and you will find that it usually refers to a private relationship between two people. Hardly intimate if two people snog the faces off one another in a crowded pub! I recommend manners and consideration for others, (and how not to make a show of yourself in public)..

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 12:56pm

Hear, Hear!!

2. @ChantryBear

So when will you begin your policing of overt heterosexual “Snogging” in public places

44. As an employee of the Sam Smith’s chain, I have to say that we are allowed to kick out anyone for explicit behaviour. We kick out as many heterosexual couples for the same act.

I am a gay advocate, and have met the employees of this pub and find it hard to believe that she was shouting at them for reasons against their sexuality. She has the right to throw out anyone for drunken behaviour, and if they were unwilling to leave, with the added pressure of dealing with intoxicated patrons, a conversation can escalate.

I hardly think that this had to do with sexuality. The pub is located in Soho, which is pretty much the heart of the gay scene in London, and many of my patrons are homosexual and would receive the same treatment as any heterosexual, bisexual, or transgendered patron.

This is seems to be blown out of proportion. I have personally asked heterosexual couples to leave the pub for the same acts as this homosexual couple.

This had nothing to do with their sexuality.

1. Helen Wilson 15 Apr 2011, 1:22am

So you will have no problem releasing the CCTV showing the incident and how it developed.

I await the youtube clip proving they was acting in a indecent way.

2. Helen Wilson 15 Apr 2011, 1:35am

=========================================

Opps you just dropped out of talking about this in the 3rd person to being in the 1st person and you running the pub.

Release the CCTV if you have nothing to hide.

3. @ Julia: you will I’m sure admit that it is not protocol for the landlady not to give her name though, won’t you? And to manhandle those boys out when they were putting on their coats and about to leave does seem heavy-handed to say the least, wouldn’t you agree?

45. I am a bit confused; this happened, what, six minutes walk from Old Compton St. according to Google Maps. Do the landlord and publican own a map? At all?

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 1:35am

@Grace……
      ….just what has the proximity of Old Compton st to do with the behaviour of a couple of mouthy queens in a straight bar got to do with anything.
      Capitalist South Korea is 50 yards from Communist North Korea, but that doesn’t mean South korea should become Communist or conversly that North Korea should allow capitalism to flourish in the villiages close to South Korea. That may not allay your confusion but is analagious to your geography lesson or indeed your promotion of cartographical readiness.

1. Er, except they are under different Governments not the same one. Now I can see why you may say pub rules or something could be analogues to laws, but the difference is that these pub rules are actually not laws, and what the John Snow has done is illegal in UK law… and it’s not like they can realistically claim ignorance. Or at least not do so and wind up looking anything other than very dim.

I just mean that you’d think the landlord and publican would be aware that the area is in proximity to the LGBT scene is all, so that their homophobia is at odds to the rest of the nearby bars.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 1:09pm

@Grace…
          ….Actually licenceing laws 2003 give the landlord carte blanche as to who he will have in his pub or not. If the landlord feels that the security or safety of other patrons may be compromised by the actions of a couple of patrons, then he can without giving a reason, ask them to leave. In this case he didn’t initally ask them to leave but to cool their ardour which they refused to do, so he asked them to leave, wherupon one of them played the homophobia card which in my humble opinion was unforgiveabel in the circumstances, as it is a straight pub, in a gay area or not.
          My Korean analogy was a little obscure I admit but what i was trying to demonstrate was just because the John Snow is adjacent to Compton street,that should have no bearing on the behaviour of gay patrons in an essentially straight pub. As you probably know there are a lot of straight lads out there who are always on the lookout for ways to cause trouble for GLBs and this was probably one of them.

46. Reminds me of the first time I saw two men kiss, and btw one was black.

I was temporarily horrified, then realized I was at the first big washington DC gay rally in 2000,

Today I, as a str8 male will kiss my gay friends on the cheek or neck if they do it first to me.

its a sign of respect.

But note how homophobia and hatred of gays permeates society. Thanks to so called churches.

Google southern evangelicals and child molestation

Look at http://www.nobeliefs.com/SIZAN.htm

But reverse the 5 letters in caps to get to the website.

and you will see the truth about the cathoic church

47. This is why I have always been opposed to Gay Rights. It has ruined our lives. Everyone, including gays have become so self-righteous now. Any gay behaviour now is not tolerated any where in society.

Bring back the 80’s & 90’s when it was good to be gay. We had no problems like this.

1. musclelad23 15 Apr 2011, 7:07am

Yeah the 80s and 90s when you could be fired from a job for just being gay. Or like when I went to school and section 28 meant that the word “gay” was unlawful to be mentioned in a classroom.. or before civil partnerships.

What have you been snorting up your nose mate?

1. Section 28 did not make it illegal to mention the word gay in the classroom, but it had an inhibiting effect on teachers that in practice was more powerful

2. It has ruined our lives

Not mine, quite the reverse, but thanks for caring.

3. Are you living in Iran, radical53? You speak utter nonsense. Society is much more accepting and agreeable to gay rights and gay people. Its becuase we are much more visible.

You just keep living back in the 80’s cowering in an illusion of better days, and let the rest of us get on with our productive lives, there’s a good boy.

Nothing as pathetic as a gay man who thinks we should all be downtrodden wretches who should be happy with our lot.

4. “This is why I have always been opposed to Gay Rights. It has ruined our lives.”

Get help for your internalised homophobic hatred, you silly ridiculous person!

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Apr 2011, 8:23am

Here! Here!

48. cheryl tebbutt 15 Apr 2011, 4:14am

2 men kissing is revolting so is 2 women, a man/women and breastfeeding keep your ugly liquids to yourself have respect for classy people
    THESE 2 DID THIS ON PURPOSE TO MAKE MONEY OU T OF THE OWNER!!
    THEY ARE DEVIOUS SIKENING AND EVIL………

1. musclelad23 15 Apr 2011, 7:05am

Do not feed the breastfeeding obsessed moron troll people!!

Oh, and see you at the kiss in tonight!

2. OH DEAR WHAT AN UTTERLY TASTELESS POST.

PRESUMABLY YOU DON’T CONSIDER YOURSELF “CLASSY”.

3. Are you paddyswurds?

4. Did you mislay your dictionary or eat it by accident, Cheryl dear.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 1:19pm

@Will…
        ….i think you had better explain to Cheryl what a dictionary is though….
        I didn’t know milk was an ugly liquid either or that men produced it. Looks like Cheryl may have been under the influence of something as i calculate her post was made around 3 or 4 am.

1. “didn’t know milk was an ugly liquid”

Yeah, guess who has sever emotional issues because mummy didn’t love her enough to breastfeed her…

5. Dear Cheryl

What has breastfeeding got to do with issue at hand? If you decide to post again please familiarise yourself with the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation in the English language.

P.S. please give my regards to the rest of the congregation at the Westboro Baptist Church.

49. Kab Bishop 15 Apr 2011, 7:59am

Yes, she and the man have the right to throw out anyone, but they’re caused themselves more harm than good. Now they’ll either have to throw out all straight couples who kiss as well – and lose all their business – or just say it was an isolated incident or something and then be hated by all open-minded people.

50. 2 people out together, who quite frankly look very unassuming and certainly not attention seekers (picture of the couple on the Gaurdian web site)kissing on the lips in a pub in Soho. I can’t believe that this has hapened and it fills me with sadness that society is still so unaccepting, especially in what should be a gay friendly area of London.
    What hope is there for total equality? where my gay child can enjoy his life like his “normal” straight friends?? Its what makes me want to do all i can to change peoples warped opinions and rigid views.

51. “Police are investigating an incident which occurred at approximately 2250 BST on Wednesday at a venue in Broadwick Street, W1.”

Meanwhile, in another part of London, a gay men is being bashed and not a policeman in sight…

1. Do you have time and address for the bashing? If you did then I’m sure there would be a policeman investigating

52. I’m sick and tired of this community playing the victim card at every given opportunity. It is now getting beyond the tolerance threshold of the mainstream population who are fed constant bilge like this non-story. And we wonder why bashings are on the increase? The louder we scream and shout about our perceived aggressors, no matter how trivial, the more I predict those bashings will become more common place.

We still play the eternal victim when in fact we should be rejoicing in the fact that we never had it so good. Mind, with Jock Strap as our eternal soothsayer on these boards – and from whom most people seem to take their lead – no wonder this “woe, poor, downtrodden pity me” attitude persists. Pathetic!!!

It takes a bigger man to react to any perceived homophobia simply by ignoring it, not playing into its hands to the point where gay people become the baiters, not the baited. Go figure!

1. “This community” – what community would that be? As you can see above, attitudes to this story vary greatly.

I’m glad you would so meekly submit to being thrown out of a pub, but…

*waves red rag*

…perhaps that says something about your own victim mentality?

1. Excuse me? Let’s look at this whole sorry saga from another angle, shall we? The landlady perceived the two guys were acting “obscene”. In other words, her feelings and sensibilities were offended by what she saw. In this lilly-livered liberal world where everyone who is offended by anything is a victim, aren’t her feelings also to be considered here? We’ve no right to dictate how she feels, just as no one has the presumed right to dictate why a gay couple feels the way they do when turned away from a Christian guest house because they intend to fornicate beneath the bedsheets, notwithstanding the fact that there are hundreds of other guest houses in the same town that wouldn’t care less so long as they pay their bills. The point is that the landlady’s feelings were offended, period, so it’s the height of hypocrisy for the gay lobby to deny her the right to not be offended and scream “Get outta my pub!” to schmoozing customers, regardless of the intricacies of WHY she was offended.

1. So, following your argument, if a landlady was offended by people of different races mixing together, she could throw a group out? You seem unaware that people providing a service to the public are not supposed to discriminate at will. Unless you believe it’s a landlord’s right to put up signs like ‘No dogs, no blacks, no Irish’?

And why do you think she refused to identify herself by name? You will also note from the BBC article that the people next to the couple in question in the pub thought the reaction excessive and heavy-handed.

2. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 3:47pm

Just because you so anally retentive and quiver at the sight of other people greeting each other with a kiss, don’t think all share your backward stance. We are in the 21st Century. Men all over the world greet each other with a kiss even many straight ones so when your finished looking around in the dark remove your head from your arse and see the light.

2. Look William what’s the point of the equality act if it isn’t to promote equality, surely even you think that gay people, from whatever community they come from, should have equality in all things. If there is proof that straight people are allowed to snog, have sex or a simply kiss on the lips without being thrown out of the pub then equal treatment should be given to gay people to do the same. There is no poor me symdrome its simply asking for equal treatment. Do you really think we are treated equally in all things in the UK at the moment legally and socially, do you think we should still be happy with second best or any form of discrimination simply becuase it irates someone into bashing us for asking for equality . Simply saying we are better of now than we ever have been so lets be happy with that sucks…

1. You have to forgive William, he rarely sees the point of equality, he thinks this is just PC nonsense. A lot of anger issues mixed with a wonderful lack of intellect breeds his anger towards gay people who do not shut up and take what they’re given. He is also under some mistaken assumption we’re all as pathetic and as weak as he is.

3. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 3:44pm

“And we wonder why bashings are on the increase?” & “It takes a bigger man to react to any perceived homophobia simply by ignoring it”

Your right we should just bow down, forget our rights and pretend we don’t exist.

Get over yourself you idiot. Nothing worse than a self confessed ‘Gay’ (I debate it) making excuses for Gay bashing and telling us we should just shut up or expect to take abuse.

Tell you what, you go back in your closet if you want too (personally I think your too many miles south of Narnia) but I’m pretty sure 44 years on from legal rights most of us prefer to just use our closets for storing clothes, shoes and porn.

4. “We still play the eternal victim” writes William complainly, yet anyone reading his postings carefully can see that William IS a victim, a victim of his own cowardice and self-loathing.

5. Does any one actually know what William is going on about?

53. Sit in kissing. What a lovely protest.

54. The majority of the population should have the right not to see men snogging each other in public spaces just as we would not be universally tolerant of a straight couple putting on an open and sustained show of schoomching in a gay bar. I mean, why would they other than to create discomfort? Otherwise, where would it all end? Anal intercourse on the McDonald’s counter, regardless of whether two men/a man and woman/a man and a goat…?!!

The Equalities Act is actually being looked at as it is clear how it has been abused and tested by gay militants. It is being rumoured that a fringe is actually orchestrating and instigating incidents such as this to put the Act to the test just to see how far they can push it and wilfully baiting innocent proprietors who they want to see prosecuted. Why the feck don’t they bait a Muslim guesthouse or youth club and see how far they get? Oh no, just go after the easy targets why don’t you? Proves what utter spineless cowards the lunatic gay fringe is.

1. and this comment is in light of thousands of prosecution cases??? You can only use the equality act when there is inequality and the act deals with it…full stop…the high profile case so far eg christian hotel and christian adoption agencies have been worthwhile…..if these guys were simply kissing in a pub and for instance next to them a straight couple was doing the same thing and only the gay couple was thrown out then go for it, sue the buggers and make as much fuss as possible….personally I’ve never seen a straight couple being thrown out of a pub for kissing, have you?

2. @William: In point of fact I’m not wildly keen on extended PDAs in any public situation, gay or otherwise, but there’s little evidence that such was the case here. After all, an eyewitness has said he thought the reaction shocking, and there’s no doubt the entire incident was badly handled.

The proprietors – by which perhaps you mean the landlord/landlady – are hardly ‘innocent’ in this instance.

3. yet another troll or self-hater
      slippery slope fallacy is an epic fail
      gay militants is a term from homophobes

1. William is a dimwit, point in case his last comment.

4. “The majority of the population should have the right not to see men snogging each other in public spaces just as we would not be universally tolerant of a straight couple putting on an open and sustained show of schoomching in a gay bar.”

Are you possibly suggesting that gay people should restrict any displays of emotion to gay bars???? What a dazzling example of your state of mind. Go get help, and stop boring us all with your self esteem issue and world view nonsense.

5. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 3:53pm

I think we are seeing through William.

Doesn’t his argument

“where would it all end? Anal intercourse on the McDonald’s counter, regardless of whether two men/a man and woman/a man and a goat…”

remind anyone of those arguments we hear about Equal marriage, you know the backward ones like…

“If we allow two men to marry, what next? Why not his brother or a goat”

People are you seeing through this?

6. O dear, the usual hysterical rants from William again.

55. A straight couple who had been to the pub weren’t thrown out for kissing and the man had his arm around his significant other most of the time they were there. The landlady is a blatant liar when she says she’d throw out a straight couple for the same display of affection.

William, I’ve seen one or two straight gay friendly couples in a club kissing. Nobody objected or threw them out and I didn’t find it obscene either and neither did anybody else. Sorry pal, but your argument just doesn’t fly. By the way, straight couples, married and non-married also engage in anal sex, among other things.

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 3:54pm

Exactly I kiss all my straight mates as a hello, they don’t seem to mind so why should it bother anybody else?