Student lied about anti-gay campus attack

1. attention seekers make it harder for the ones who do experience hate crime to get help about it. He should be severely punished for this. and what if police had actually arrested someone.

1. The problem is that +90% of all this anti-gay “hate crimes” are BS. The problem is that homosexuals seem to want to conquer instead of equality.

This is a great case that shows the cancer/biological time-bomb that homosexuality is.

1. Sam Maloney 13 Apr 2011, 9:05pm

Come out of the closet, Pete: no straight man is this deeply obsessed by what the gay folk do. The sooner you allow yourself to be ‘conquered’, the happier your life will be, and you can set about making amends for all the hate you’ve spread.

1. SteveDenver 14 Apr 2011, 4:32pm

Yep, Sam, Pete is here at pinknews exhibiting classic self-loathing.

1. What “Self-loathing”? He’s just being homophobic.
            Twat.

2. @Pete

Citation required to evidence claim 90%+ of hate crimes are untrue

The reality in my experience as a police officer is that hate crimes are UNDERreported not excessively over reported as you spuriously claim

1. Stu, I agree.

My Partner and I started a ‘Zero Tolerance’ policy this year on hate crime directed towards us because, from our personal experiences on the streets versus the stats published, we must be being singled out and I cannot believe that in the UK’s 3rd largest city, we are the only same sex couple.

The Police and CPS have been very supportive, and when a crime is reported they take it VERY seriously. This week we were in Court giving evidence against someone for threatening to ‘do us’. He was so cocky he didn’t even bother to turn up for his own defence, so was found guilty ‘in absentia’ under Section 4(a).

If crimes aren’t reported, they can’t be acted upon. If, unlike us, you don’t think you can face the hassle / time off work / upset of going to Court, just tell the police when you give your statement. There is a box on the form that says you don’t want to take it further, but it still gets recorded on the statistics.

3. Nikki Hatch 14 Apr 2011, 5:16pm

Pete, you are either a closet case or a complete brainwashed religious nut. The facts on hate crimes against GLBT suggest that you do not know what you are talking about.

2. drama queen

3. musclelad23 13 Apr 2011, 10:22am

What a demented pathetic queen. Obviously has some severe issues to physically harm himself to claim victimhood.

There was a similar event a few years ago with a jewish girl who drew swastikas on her door and claimed it was a hate crime. You really have to feel sorry someone who resorts to things like this for attention.

Things like this give all haters ammunition and when an actual hate crime occurs, people will have a story like this running through the back of there minds.

1. I think that is a bit harsh. If he has done this to himself it is a serious mental illness. I believe gay people suffer more mental illness than straight people due to circumstances.

I don’t think we should condemn him out of hand even though I agree he has done nobody any favours.

He may have though himself to be a “pathetic queen”, we are the last people who should judge him, not knowing what he may have been through.

If he is gay he needs support from us not condemnation.

1. Trust me, haters don’t need to have ammo generated for them. They can create it themselves.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 4:29pm

Very true!

2. Twitless: “I believe gay people suffer more mental illness than straight people due to circumstances.”
        CITATION NEEDED

People don’t half come up with some old cock purporting to be fact on this site.

4. musclelad23 13 Apr 2011, 10:25am

p.s that photo is making me feel seriously ill. Is it even necessary?

1. Seriously ill? Shall I call an ambulance? Or an undertaker?
      Or do you have the same drama queen exaggeration syndrome as the chap on here?

5. I don’t know what the crime is in Carolina but I would hope in the UK he would be looked at either for attempting to pervert the course of justice or wasting police time

1. Why? What would it resolve?

As has been said, the guy obviously has issues.

1. I dont doubt he probably has issues

Punishing him doesnt prevent him getting help

In the UK we used to have a policy of non prosecution for false claims of rape – we now prosecute malicious complaints as a deterrant

6. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 10:52am

What a thing to do to get attention. A way to go dilute homophobia.

Wonder how many people out there will use this to somehow prove we’ll All go to any lengths to get attention?

He has done no favours by lying. I hope the punishment reflects that.

7. I can’t help but wonder whether this might be a case of victim intimidation. What if the attack really did occur, but the victim has been pressured into pretending he made it all up by bullying homophobic authorities? Such things are far from unheard of.

Obviously there is no way of telling simply from the reports here. But I do wonder, given the severity of the injuries, whether it is at all likely they are self-inflicted.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:45am

I have to admit when I first heard this I did wonder if it was more the University protecting it’s name but I guess we’ll never really know.

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:49am

Having said that if he is lying I just hope he hasn’t given some Nutjob ideas.

8. If he did this to get attention, then the guy obviously has serious mental health issues. I hope they keep a close eye on him. His next attention seek may be a facebook suicide R.I.P. page. Which wouldn’t be good.

9. That is one nasty looking wound to inflict on yourself for some attention, the guy needs therapy.

1. agreed

10. Just what we need! If it does actually happen to any of us, how seriously will it be taken? What an idiot!

11. TheSuburban Bi 13 Apr 2011, 4:54pm

I read another report that the two reasons the authorities claim the story is false is that the purported victim could/would not identify the friend who was with him at the time, and he could not identify his attacker.

Well, in the first instance it may be a case of not wanting to out the friend or put the friend in way of reprisals. And secondly just how many people know the identity of their attackers or can otherwise identify them?

Also, if the story is false, it does not automatically mean the young man branded himself or that he was not otherwise attacked (by someone he knew maybe?).

There’s just a lot here we don’t know or have enough information on.

12. Isnt it interesting how he just had to inject christianism in the whole BS? “Here is a taste of Hell”. Very interesting and very telling.

13. Narcissa666 13 Apr 2011, 7:58pm

Most likely the attack happened but the attacker was on the football team and the coaches and college leadership hushed it up.

14. Sometimes, we don’t know what to do,or how to keep the public at large attention, as to the horrible torture, killings and other
    treatment that bullies delight in againest
    lesbian/gay,youth/elders.Many read/hear
    about it, think no more of it,do nothing to stop it. Shame, shame.
    How sad, for whatever reason, this young gay man took this path.
    Why condem? The way of compassion, is to understand, reach out to help.

15. Sam Maloney 13 Apr 2011, 9:20pm

Sadly, I suspected it was fake the moment I saw it… some random, passing hater with a branding iron at the ready? I don’t think so.

BUT he’s not the first faker, and won’t be the last. It comes from every side of the political spectrum and every age group. An elderly nun pulled similar a few years back, manufacturing hate crimes she was sure the people around her longed to commit, styling herself as the victim/hero.

The fact that such people are ill does not reverse the damage they do.

16. “…University officials have not commented on why Mr Matney made the assault up. He is likely to face criminal charges for making a false report.”

More info is needed. A burn that severe is unlikely to be self-inflicted.

17. Where do you get your figures from Pete? Being knocked unconscious and having your head stamped on and being left to bleed to death is not ‘BS’ Pete. Neither are death threats. Prejudice, emnity, fear, hate is a ‘timebomb’ and a ‘cancer’ Pete. Your prejudice, emnity, fear and hate toward gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people is the real problem Pete.

18. ITT: Gay people who hate the mentally ill.

19. This is very sad to me. I am in no way justifying a lie but shame on you all for coming down so hard on this student. As anybody knows school is a very difficult time for almost any child and only magnified when you are struggling with your sexuality. What this kid needs (if he in fact did lie) is help (which I’m sure has not been readily available to him). Harassment can be large and violent or it can be as quiet as whispers in the hallway online bullying and many other forms which are just as devastating to a youth. With all the hate that goes unheeded it does not surprise me that one would resort to this. And to Pete just because you visit gay sites at night to touch yourself it doesn’t mean we want you back during the day to hear your self loathing BS!

20. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:44am

- Yawn -

21. Troll Killer 13 Apr 2011, 11:45am

LU – TROLL – DO NOT FEED – PLEASE REMOVE

22. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:51am

My – Yawn – comment was to LU but that comment removed. It’s not to this story.

23. The LU fcuker cannont have unlimited IP addresses. Ban it

24. Of course you can have unlimited IP’s. It’s called spoofing.
    How do you think I get on here? ;)