Gay penguins book is back at top of complaints list

1. It’s hard to see what is there to complain about in The Color Purple or To Kill A Mockingbird. Both of these are strong pieces of literature that discuss important topics about justice and equality.
    Ah – perhaps that’s the point.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:12am

Yep, think you hit the nail there David. We can’t have all this open talk of justice and equality.

2. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 12:25pm

@David….
      ….this is exactly why the King James bible was compiled. There was beginning to be talk of equality and justice in the kingdom and it needed putting down.

2. concerned resident of E3 13 Apr 2011, 11:05am

Personally I am gobsmacked that anyone would complain about a thoroughly and totally uncontroversially moral book as “To Kill a Mocking Bird”!!!!!!!

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:11am

Anti family indeed.

These people just go out of their way to prove how pathetic and uneducated they are.

Think the real question should be, Do bigotted and discriminating people really make suitable parents?

4. Helen Wilson 13 Apr 2011, 11:41am

How long before we see religionists burning these books?

I guess the standard religionist mind set is this.

Burn Witches

Call the mentally disabled witches then burn them

Hang minorities then burn them

Burn Beatles records

Burn books

Burn some more books for good measure especially those about gay penguins

Burn out the homes of anybody who’s life’s don’t fit in with your religionist views

Then cry out and and claim secularists are trying to steal freedom of speech and freedom of belief from you!

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 11:53am

Excellent point Helen.

5. I love this book, it makes me cry every time I read it. My son is due very soon & I can’t wait to read it to him when he is old enough.

6. So a true story about love and sexuality is black listed whereas a fictional account of jealous, murderous deities is actively promoted.

Interesting place, America.

7. My god i hate religion. However people laugh at america, we have much the same in this country.
    – Muslim council of britain refusing to attend holocaust memorial, because it remembered the gay victims of the holocaust.
    – Conservative party chairman saying sex education was an attempt by gays to recruit children.
    – Labour and now Condems giving power and freedom to homophobic organisations (catholic church, CoFe, mosques etc) to run public services, without adequate protection that they will not teach homophobic views.

At least in America they have the separation of church and state, and there are both left and right wingers who will defend this.

In the UK we need a freedom party, one that will stand for separation of church and state.

1. Excellent points, Scott.

However, sadly I feel that the US separation of church and state is on paper only. Too often religion seems to rear its head in politics. In an ideal world, the US would be much stricter on keeping religion out of the political field completely. As it is, even though technically it ‘beats’ the UK on this, in reality it doesn’t at all because it’s not properly enforced.

1. Iris is right. The religious right in America have most of the power. Just look on American newspapers and you’ll see how backward Americans can be … a lot more than Britons.

2. de Villiers 13 Apr 2011, 9:53pm

America has the separation of church but their culture is saturated with religion and talk of God.

They have no secularity.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 9:10am

Too true de Villers.

8. independent observer 13 Apr 2011, 4:52pm

WELL, EVEN PINGUINS COMPLAIN THAT THEY HAVE BEEN MADE AN EXAMPLE OF PERVERSION FOR POLITICAL REASONS !!!

1. read the article, there are no pinguins [sic] complaining, only bigots

2. can i have fish please

3. What’s a pinguin?

1. I don’t really know what a “pinguin” is, but at least I know what a Caps Lock is…. :)

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 9:12am

Funny how some people complain about books like this yet we have to read their bigotted rubbish.

4. David Gervais 14 Apr 2011, 9:33am

I defy ‘independent observer’ to prove that he/she/it has actually read the book.

9. ZOO keepers gave them abandoned egg. Isn’t that an example of surrogacy and love at purest? Just imagine if they would hatch a baby penguin from the rock. That would be a miracle and Church might even like it. Sadly they just followed their nature as we all do. No second coming here then. On the other hand there is no proof Jesus was not a penguin btw.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 9:15am

I have a feeling if a baby penguin hatched from the rock it would indeed be considered a miracle. However knowing the Church because it was two same sex penguins they probably would consider it evil and have it put down.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 9:17am

If there is a ‘Second Coming’ and that baby came via a same sex couple lets hope religious society is a little more accepting coz he wouldn’t ‘alf have his work cut out.

10. I presume “mixed gender couple” is the new heterosexual!

11. It’s a lovely book and being on this list is great publicity for it and will do its sales plenty of good.

12. No wonder all their feathers are falling out.

13. What a horrible perverse book. I bet it doesn’t mention the bit about where the ‘gay’ penguin saw sense and found a female.

14. I may be wrong but In back my mind I kinda remember the penguin not so much one day wanting females as being helped along to beIng with one by the zoo after all the haters complaining.

I may be wrong tho. I may just be wanting to think this to not accept how fickle love can be. Was gonna visit them with my bf in the zoo :(

I want to get the book tho as I support it. Aside from breakup it is filled with positive messages.

15. Love this book! Plenty of copies available if you havent read the book yet!

16. Helen Wilson 14 Apr 2011, 11:28am

When you watch march of the penguins you see just how involved male penguins are in raising chicks spending months as sole care giver to the chick.

penguins don’t mate for life, just from mating season to mating season, so the evidence suggests one of them is a bisexual penguin.

Gay and bisexual penguins how will the invisible sky fairies reputation for making everything heterosexual cope .

17. It’s a lovely children’s picture book – as are ‘King and King’ by Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland – and ‘My Princess Boy’ by Cheryl Kilodavis. Highly recommended.

18. I have never heard anything so blinking stupid as this!! Anti Family my left eye!!! It’s ALL about family!

Promoting homosexuality? Sorry guys we gays are here to stay! No promotion needed!!!

19. Why isn’t the Bible on that list? The most discriminatory FICTION book of all time.