Comment: Are we too scared to be camp?

1. Helen Wilson 13 Apr 2011, 6:19pm

Too many straight men act camp these days, maybe its just crossed over to become a thing heterosexual men do.

1. Agreed , but it is straight men very comfortable with their sexuality, and that assertion is attractive.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 11:08am

Yes, I agree rapture. Many of my Straight friends are completely comfortable with themselves to be comfortable around Gay men. It is indeed an attractive quality and one they are well aware of!!

2. Yes, David Walliams and Russell Brand are two that come to mind, gay acting straight men.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 4:10pm

Two excellent examples and two men who seem completely comfortable with themselves and don’t give a toss what others think of them.

1. Totally, they send up norms of masculinity and aren’t trapped in the stifling straitjacket of male impersonation in speech, movement, clothing (and everything else really) that so many gay and straight men really are.
            A person who is aware of both their feminine and their masculine sides and is relaxed enough to acknowledge and give expression to both is really very attractive, too much relentless camp is tiresome, there needs to be some balance…goes without saying.

2. loud and overtly camp people just get on my nerves

1. danielmclion.tk 13 Jun 2011, 6:46pm

Then YOU have a problem. :)) Exactly what the whole artcle is abaut. ;)

3. I think gays hate camp these days because people have the idea that gay men are effeminate because of camp gay men so if you are a masculine gay lad then it will piss you off. Also, gay men like men which means they tend to like masculinity, not a prancing queen who should have been born a girl. However, I find camp funny but I dont find it attractive.

4. Previously, the only type of gay man portrayed in the media was camp. Gay men who weren’t camp were less likely to be out or identifiable. Thus it seemed as if all gays were camp and gay men duly played up to that image as a way of carving out an identity.

Today, a broader range of gay men are both out and represented by the media, thus reducing the focus on camp men and making it seem as if they are a dying breed. There is less outrage and dressing camp is no longer headline news.

Moreover, as repression subsides, fewer extreme characters emerge as there is less need to rebel and stand out. There are plenty of camp men around, they’re just not as loud, bitchy and attention-seeking as they used to be.

It’s a good sign, as it shows we are blending into society more easily and no different to anyone else.

5. I know this will upset many.. but a lot of ‘camp’ gay men are faking it or doing it for attention. I see it all the time. Do i see camp men faking straight? Not in the same way, they cant do it proberely and over-do it. VERY few camp men are any good at faking average.

6. Straight acting. Before or after you get on your hands and knees to suck cokk?

1. sensual yes, camp never, yuk

2. James drop your one man crusade again all thats un-fem. the word ‘acting’ in this context means ‘behaviour like’, not ‘pretending’. I agree the term is clumsy, but it describes it best to the masses. Personally i prefer regular guy, to straight acting. It covers a reasonable range.. but excludes you.. you’re irregular.

1. Not me I’m afraid pink news stupid policy if anyone using any name

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 11:15am

You go girl!

;)

2. I notice the only actual grammar in that statement was an apostrophe! I can’t decipher what you were actually attempting to say, but it looks, on the face of it, like bollocks.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 1:00pm

Erm, crazy says what now?

7. Camp does not equal gay, never has. Some of the most camp people I know are straight; you do not have to be camp to be gay and you don’t have to be straight to be straight.
    Ok so we can all camp it up on occasions; I turn a wicked heel at carnaval in Sitges. But, for most of my life I am a fairly ordinairy fairy. I don’t look or act any different to anyone else.
    It’s not because I fear discrimination but more that I simply don’t always want to do it.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:16am

Exactly and a lot of those ‘camp’ straight men will go through homophobic abuse too.

It’s a shame people haven’t yet reached the time when we can stop labelling people and just let them be who they are.

2. I’m like that I have my camp moments and my straight moments I know some people who where shocked when I told them I was gay and now they’re shocked they never noticed it just depends on what you feel like

8. I’ve got a lot of camp friends and very often they’ve been attacked or insulted in bars while i’ve been unnoticed.
    These people have visibility for the gay community and i don’t believe they purposely act this way for even a second.

The gay community needs to be more supportive and remember that these people are the same as them, only with their own personality.
    We’ve all seen the guys on fitlads and gaydar who specifically state they don’t like camp men.

If you can be that shallow without even meeting someone first then you’re as bad as the homophobes for denying a section of the community the right to be who they are.

1. Yes and no. Would you ‘show support’ to a pretentious straight woman or man in the street who was being melodramatic and bitchy? I wouldn’t and I gather lots of other gay people wouldn’t. It’s that side that many see as a hindrance to our acceptance. Being camp in terms of just sounding a bit effeminate, isn’t a problem – that’s just the normal, immutable mannerisms of some gay people. But the bitchy bit is what riles people and that shouldn’t be tolerated from them any more than it should anyone else. They aren’t the same as me and I have no moral duty to stand up for people of that personality.

As for personal preferences on gaydar, it’s none of your business who peopl choose to seek. They’re not employing them, they’re intending to sleep with them – it’s as personal as it can possibly be. It’s not remotely shallow, it’s stating what turns you on/off. It’s laughable to align it with real homophobia – especially when it’s gay men looking for other gay men!

2. damn right Tigra the casual prejudice is shameful and reflects badly on all of us

3. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:18am

Excellent comment Tigra 07.

Life would be so boring if we all acted the same with the same personalities.

Variety surely has to be celebrated.

4. well said tigra 07 , don’t know why it rattles some gay men so much , if they find camp , annoying ,then tune out .No ones inflicting or enforcing you to dress/act a certain way and theres no need to hate certain individuals that do, may not be your taste or style, then don’t get petty . But there does seem to be a very defensive cry from some insisting they are not effeminate or camp , which is bit pointless on an online forum as that perception is subjective to the real world , it reminds me a bit like a latent gay homophobe denying he is gay and uses homophobia to deflect from that . But was true in the article ,the irony that much of the bitching and vitriol comes from those “straight acting” gay men who are fearful of camp association. Also, most of the high profile murders of gay men have been on men hardly described as being dressed “differently” or displaying camp mannerisms during the attack which could also imply homophobia does not discriminate on what type of gay .

5. Ultimately peeps need to embrace diversity and look at the qualities , integrity of a person rather than what they look like , sound like etc.

9. de Villiers 13 Apr 2011, 10:05pm

I am unsure if the reason why gay people criticise other gay people because they feel uncomfortable with how it reflects on them.

As a parallel example, when I see French people on English television, I sometimes cringe if their accent or behaviour is so overly French or over-the-top as to border on what would be thought to be cliché.

1. I see your point, but sounding too French doesn’t risk a knuckle sandwich as much as high campery. Your discomfort with a gentle ribbing isn’t really comparable to gay men worrying that they’ll get decked because their camper counterparts have unwittingly attracted the ‘wrong kind of attention’.

The French/English accent issue stems more from identity issues rather than the very real threat of a beating.

1. Oh, I dunno about that. I’d much rather deck some arrogant Parisian than a mouthy queen.

10. I really just wish there would be some more “uncamp” celebs around to counteract the Carrs and Clarys of this world.

I have no problem with camp guys, but It does give the rest of us a major problem with the stereotyping. I guess people like John Barrowman help, although even he is a bit of a mince.

1. I think there are a few less camp-acting gay men in the media, but they tend to exist below the radar because no-one even asks which way they lean.
      I recently told a friend Derren Brown was gay and she couldn’t believe it without checking first and neither could any of her friends! Evan Davies off Dragon’s Den would be another example.

1. They are both obviously gay to me , i must have real good gaydar. I do find evan davies a camp actually and stephen fry.

1. Same I guessed they where gay, but Stephen Fry no he’s just posh not camp.

2. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:29am

I think camp men are believe to be entertainment within the media, plus a lot of straight people like to watch it. Pigeon hole us.

However there are a number of Gay people in the media that aren’t camp like as mentioned, Derren Brown and Stephen Fry, Matt Lucas etc.

It’s just people tend to focus on camp more I suppose because to them thats being Gay. Less Camp celebrites don’t always get pigeon holed so much.

1. When people watch Stephen Fry they don’t think of him as a gay man who’s clever but as a clever man who happens to be gay (if they think the second part at all).
        Whereas watching Alan Carr for example the judgement is that he’s a gay man who happens to be funny (or even to the extent that he’s a gay man and that’s why he’s funny).

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 11:11am

Exactly. Though it does show that there are many ‘of us’ on the tellybox and we are not all camp. There a good mix.

2. I was going to say that Alan Carr is a camp little unfunny twat who happens to be gay.

2. Following on from your mention of Stephen Fry, he tends to have a good way to go about it. If you watch him on QI and such, he is open about his sexualtiy and it becomes part of a few jokes here and there causing it to be more recognised but he doesn’t act camp, so we do get some non-camp recognition, though its still more subtle.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 1:02pm

Exactly. I feel representation is good esp when it comes to the tellybox. Lordy knows theres not much on it but at least Some of the people are interesting.

11. Go to Comptons in Soho on Eurovision song contest night and you will see real straight “acting” man being who they really are deep inside- cropped camp queens. There is nothing straight in love of cock. If you judge book by the cover then you are not worthy of reading it. Queens of Stonewall started our “Pride era” and we are for ever indebted with them. Little respect please.

1. so true and most know it , seems bit pointless them trying to convince us of this trad straight acting rubbish , no ones fooled. If someone like russel brand walks down the street , assumption is hes straight bit eccecentric , women love him. Someone like that one off eastenders or john barryman, even my grans gaydar got em sussed.

2. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 11:14am

Actually I think the funniest thing I’ve found is seeing Gay men at their local pub, all butch and then by chance seeing them many miles away thinking they are out of reach of people they know and completely camping it up.

It’s no put down, I just think it’s funny and a little sweet.

12. pooh sticks 14 Apr 2011, 1:20am

It’d be easier if ‘camp’ and ‘effeminate’ weren’t used so interchangeably. I think of camp as being deliberately showy and gender nonconformist, whereas effeminacy being unintentionally gender nonconformist due biological / environmental reasons. Basically campness is a choice, effeminacy isn’t.

I use camp as a tool to pull in the laughs. It’s fun and it’s attention-seekish, but if everyone’s enjoying it what’s the problem?

But coming to the fear of being CAMP. Why would anyone – except real thrill seekers! – prance about barking double entendres in a hostile setting?

It’s surely more about whether we’re too scared to not ‘act straight’ in public – i.e. whether we’re masking a natural effeminacy.

I’m not saying the article doesn’t address this. I just think there should be a clearer terminology. People, like me, who chose to be camp have to accept we don’t have the right not to be offended by those who don’t like our behaviour.

1. pooh sticks 14 Apr 2011, 1:23am

*choose

2. Good for you, always be genuine to yourself and others.

13. Why do we need to be camp? What stupid question PN.

Really what is this obsession that gay people must be feminine and have exaggerated daren’t high pitched voices that makes you want to punch them >.>. … If your naturally camp then fine but ffs don’t put it on because that’s how you think gay people are.

I see camp=gay as a stereotype and when the gay community says shouldn’t we be more like this its disheartening as why should we gave to act camp? So society can look at us and go oh yes there’s a bunch of gays?

Not scared to be camp but don’t want and there is no need to be unless you were. It’s not something you should act as unless you want to really annoy people.

There are many camp celebs very funny as that’s who they are. I know people with put on over exagerated fake camp you want to attack them.

But meh

14. The days of Liberace, Quentin Crisp etc. have long gone. But there is nothing wrong with being different, even if it is not expressed through being camp or flamboyant.

The 80′s and 90′s we celebrated our difference and did not hide who we were and are. Gay rights has changed that. Nothing worse than not being able to be yourself and express yourself.

This is a dangerous path to be on now, if you feel unsafe to be and act gay because you are worried that you will get bashed, murdered etc.

Bring back the days of free expression and the gay identity.

1. Yeah it was more fun and we didn’t come across as trying to infiltrate straight life or trick people into thing we were straight

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:47am

Indeed. Of course now we have a problem because some straight people see many in the community as just like them, ie normal. That threatens their perception and then they fear they have to question themselves. Of course that is not for the many. Most people see that as a good thing and it is finally why more and more people have become accepting.

Sadly though we will always get those who can’t cope and will abuse.

2. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:43am

Excellent comment. I think your right.

I think despite what some may think this does show that during the 80′s and 90′s there was a more excepting stance on people being different while being themselves. Whereas over the last 10 years or so being ‘diifference’ seems to now cause a certain nastiness from certain sections in society. A lot of it was making the presents of the LGBT community visible really for the first time.

On the flip side of that nowadays we tend to have a more accepting society that many within the Gay community that feel that visible presents is not needed but with that leaves a consequence. It seems we don’t have to be ‘camp’ to attract media attend with the like of several court cases recently.

I do agree though, I mean, are we getting too comfortable with ourself that we no longer want free expression or indeed some kind of Gay identity. Weither camp or not it’s what makes us, should we really forget it?

3. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:44am

Personally I think free expression and Gay identity should be celebrated. It’s what make us human.

15. I find this article rather biased to say the least. It seems to work on the assumption that gay men are naturally camp and that those who aren’t, are purposefully not being camp, which I find quite insulting as somebody who has never been seen as camp.

I don’t really care if somebody is camp or not, it doesn’t bother me either way, but this article seems to be painting everybody with the same brush.

16. musclelad23 14 Apr 2011, 7:54am

You should just be who you are without thought of what others think. Inside all of us gay and straight, male and female there is a masculine and feminine side. I think it’s important to embrace both sides.

Most people assume I’m straight from the way I speak / behave and my style (yes – cropped mary) but I often lip sync to beyonce in my bedroom and the way I think/obsess about things is kind of like a crazed neurotic woman.

I get annoyed at “straight acting” men who say “don’t do camp” or camp men who say more masculine gay men “aren’t being themselves”. Who are you to judge?
    Just be who you are inside and ultimately you will be happy.

17. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:06am

I don’t think the majority of ‘camp’ people Gay or Straight can help being who they are as much as some being ‘butch’. It’s just them and they shouldn’t be penalised for it.

Of course we do have a lot of fakes both ‘camp’ and ‘butch’ but I think the main issue is are people happy to be themselves?

There are two sides to this I guess. ‘camp’ men are loved or loathed by both straight and gay alike but I personally feel should never be discouraged from being who they are. This is about culture and weither we like it or not that includes camp.

Of course the argument can be camp men attracted abuse and violence. I would say that is stereotyping just like camp can be. I know plenty of people not considered camp, myself included, who have suffered both abuse and violence so I think ‘camp’ is used more as an excuse.

I think a rich culture such as ours needs camp, butch whatever. If it makes us who we are and if that means some stand out from the crowd, whatever.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:08am

If I’m completely honest, camp doesn’t do it for me BUT I do respect camp men. I think if we are all honest there is a little camp in all of us, esp after a few pints. It’s just that some have the guts to stand by and be themselves and not hide it.

18. camp is an act effeminate is natural there needs to be a distinction.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:49am

Maybe. Camp however I think will always be seen as entertaining so it will be the camp man that tends to succeed on the tellybox.

19. Chutneybear 14 Apr 2011, 9:26am

I have posted before on this issue and got abuse from both sides for it. There are those out there for whom being camp and butch are very much natural and then there are those who just fake the whole thing and it comes across as being fu<ked up. I dont want my man to be intentionally butching it up or camping it up but just be himself. The camp thing really does play to stereotypes and makes us out ot be complete knob ends.Just be yourselves lads its nopt rocket science.

20. This article is totally illogical and, I think, is missing the point. Illogical because first it tells us that gay men used to choose to be camp for visibility at a time when things where much harder and they were more likely to get a backlash but now, when things are much easier (though far for perfect), they chose to “hide” for fear of a backlash?!
    Doesn’t compute.

I think as Hmmmmmmm says above, the proportion of camp v non-camp gay men has probably remained the same as it used to be but camp men used to be the visible ones (by definition) when noncamp men could more easily blend and pass unoticed. These days many more non camp men are feel secure enough to be identify as gay thus swamping camp contingent in their numbers.

As for the reason for campness, I would see it as an act of defiance and rejection of a hostile and normative society rather than a request for acceptance (which would be very unlikely).

21. The fact that some gay men find it difficult (to various degrees) to accept camp men is, I think, a sign of that old friend, internalised homophobia.

to caricature: Gay men are hated by society. Camp men are the visible manifestation of gayness, therefore we must hate camp men.

1. I seriously doubt it’s “internalised homophobia”, I personally think they are annoyed, as I am, at the fact that most people seem to want to equate gay and camp. Of course they can go to far with their dislike of campness (though I personally have no problem with camp people). But, sorry to pick on your comment in particular, but comments like yours can be annoying like “Camp men are the visible manifestation of gayness”, that statement alone sums up what annoys non camp gay people.

2. That old friend of lefties that cannot win an argument with another gay man so instead resort to calling them names, you mean?
      Twat.

1. You do realise you just did this, is this supposed to be ironic or not. I can’t tell over a computer screen.

22. This site allows anyone to post under anyname it getting pointless using it for anything other than trolling whay are the owners so bloody cheap

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 11:25am

I know I have asked them many times to sort it out but I think they prefer their loyal readers to be abused so they laugh at it. Can’t think why else they’d choose not to do anything about it. It’s why I stopped signing up to them.

2. It’s getting boring

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 4:15pm

I know m8y, hang in there, hopefully they’ll get bored of it.

23. the article misses that there’s many people who aren’t camp and that people aren’t always going to be camp either, that some people are straight-acting as the stupid term goes, camp is alive and well as graham norton and the rest show but not everyone is camp just like not all hetero men like football

1. I see you point, but I don’t think that personalties are that interchanging, that someone decides to be camp for 10 years and then not :-s I think that it is just down to a persons personality.
      I think that it is common knowledge, that not everyone is camp, I think that it kind of obvious which is probably why it wasn’t discussed extensively.

24. My Partner and I don’t ‘act straight’, we are who we are. Last summer we went to Soho and walked up to Ku Bar, only to be stopped by the doorman who said “Lads, you DO know this is a gay bar, right?” at which point I pointed to us holding hands and said “I should bloomin’ well hope so!”

I’m guilty of being camp for effect on occasion (normally when the target of banter in the office), but I don’t feel the need to do it 24/7 to be at ease with my sexuality or to fit a stereotype. If you are naturally camp, go for it, otherwise just be yourself.

1. Yeah, but lets be honest. The gorilla on the door is unlikely to be gay, so he wouldn’t know a poof from a hole in the ground unless you were being overtly camp.

25. I personally would expect a decrease in camp gays guy and an increase in camp, straight. Being camp isn’t a result of your sexuality but as we become more accepted, and more accepted as normal, there is less need to act like a stereotype to fit in with your particular sexuality, so (I hope anyway) the ones who appear camp, are actually camp, hopefully causing people to recognise that camp does not equal gay.

One other thing I have a problem with is the equating of campness and feminity. I can’t do the camp thing, I could not do any of the movements or the voice without cringing because it just isn’t me and I had to get help from my straight friends to be able to get my only stylish outfit but I would not claim that I am masculine, I’m not compititve or a sports man, I’m quite emotional and if I got into a fight, theres no doubt I would leg it so yeah, I would say I was on the feminine side but not camp.

26. The assertion that gay men as a demographic are shying away from flamboyance is a simply ludicrous. The vast majority of gay men are not camp, and were never camp but – crucially – were not out, either. It’s the growing number of men coming out that is actually affecting what statistics there are on social ‘campness’, and is revealing just how broad a spectrum homosexuals inhabit. The camp people we count amongst out number are not dwindling, they’re just becoming outnumbered amongst those of us who never were camp to begin with.

27. I have always had a problem with the term ‘straight acting’ it makes it sound like people are hideing something. Just because you arent a screaming queen stereotype doesnt mean you are straight acting.
    You are being yourself and not the stereotype.
    at the same time this isnt saying camp men are just being a stereotype, they are being themselves. why analyze everything?

28. I suppose it could be argued that the most successful gay men are the camp ones aswell since they’re funny and visibly gay and not in the closet:
    Alan Carr, Graham Norton, John Barrowman, even Sir Ian McKellen a little etc

Does anyone know someone gay and as famous in the film industry who isn’t camp?

1. I mean TV industry lol

1. Sir Ian Mckellen?!?!

2. Derren Brown is very successful and not camp, also Evan Davies (Newsnight/Dragon’s Den), and Stephen Fry, who isn’t very camp most of the time. Or David Starkey.

29. I’ve never been attracted to camp guys, but I don’t ‘discriminate’ against them in any other way. I remember reading about the Stonewall bar and how it was where camp and cross-dressing guys would go because they weren’t welcome in other gay venues. It was them who lit the torch for gay rights, not the “butch” set. I don’t want to conform to any str8 stereotypes or ‘norms’ and hate how str8 people hit the gay scene where I live to gawp at the free entertainment.

30. There’s loads of camp people. We don’t need to be more camp or less camp. We just need to be ourselves, whether that comes over as masculine or feminine is unimportant.

31. Why would violence stop people being camp now, when it never did when violence was greater? I just don’t think people need to act camp to stand out, it encourages stereotypes. Hence nobody believes I am gay without being told 100 times. It is not “straight acting”, it is normal acting.

32. Oh it’s all so much better now. Or is it…?

Manchester’s gay village is now the most violent part of the city centre and people are subjected to homophobia even at the Pride parade. That is the real direction of travel.

There’s nothing wrong with being different to the majority. And we are.

Things haven’t changed nearly as much as some people claim. There always were gay men and women who thought that if they acted just like ‘straight’ people those people would accept them.

There are just more people with that misguided view these days, doing nothing while our safe spaces and community are dismantled ready for us to move into the mainstream supposedly where we be accepted 100%.

Well don’t hold your breath and don’t complain when everything has gone because you did nothing.

1. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 5:18pm

I think the Manchester thing is an unfortunate side effect from the Equality law. Before people jump on me I’m not going against it or anything like that. I am Still very much for it but with that law came a lot of good stuff but Gay pubs were no longer allow to turm away straight people. In theory that is perfectly right but what we got was Gay guys taking their girlfriends because those girlfriends loved the atmosphere and safety then when the law changed the straight men saw that as an opportunity so now those places get taken over.

33. There is no such thing as gay/straight acting, it is all performative.

Its a matter of coercion and we comply.

Boy oh boy was he right; we are scared to death.

1. It seems people have confused the phrase straight-acting with the word masculine.

Straight-acting is not phallic centred.

1. burningworm 6 Jun 2011, 2:29am

And.

Everyone seems intent on saying ‘i’m not camp well if you exclude’ or ‘i’m not fem but there are times’.

The fact that you feel the need to say it suggests the answer to the articles question.

We are scared. We are coerced. We are lead. And we believe ourselves to be independent of mind and free in body.

Maybe those who will really bring this cause back into contention will be those of us who are transgendered and intersexed.

;ong live our pound of pink flesh

34. I have a few opinions, mostly about the comments I have read here:

First, I am not camp. I may have my moments where a situation arises where some campy behaviours may come out, but outside of those situations I am not actively suppressing something. Thus I am not “straight-acting” in the sense that I am pretending to be something that I am not. I am “straight-acting” in the sense that my non-sexual behaviours are approximately comparable to those of a typical straight man.

I believe entirely that any person can portray themselves however they want. Camp guys shouldn’t be punished by anyone for being that way and they shouldn’t have to hide their true nature to conform with something. Works the other way too though, guys who are not naturally camp shouldn’t have to act that way to fit in with the rest of “gay society”.

However, I also feel that I have every right to indicate that I prefer non-camp guys for a relationship. I can accept something and still find it annoying.

35. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 10:28pm

What’s with all this “acting” shyte. Modern and post modern Gay men have had it with the “acting” thing and are just happy to be themselves.
    If they are naturally “camp” so be it but enough with the acting already. Men who are into the “acting” thing can’t possibly be happy with their lot or themselves and have to always be on edge in case they let the facade fall. The same applies to the “straight acting” tosh. It’s straight “appearing” and there is nothing acting about it.

1. Exactly how I feel about it in terms of the “acting” keyword that appears so much.

I’m not “camp”, but I don’t “act straight”. I just don’t have a natural tendency to be “camp”, that’s all there is to it. I don’t try to act “normal” in order to fit in with the crowd. If someone is “camp”, then it’s fine, no worries – as long as it’s who they are. Same with those who aren’t camp.

Yeah, I don’t like the fact that a lot of people think that all/most gay men need to be “camp” purely because it isn’t true, but that’s not an issue with “camp” people, it’s an issue with the stereotype that has been applied by those who are ignorant, regardless of sexuality.

36. Camp guys annoy me, i prefer a nice blokey bloke a manly man i’d be embarrased going out with someone who acts like a woman :/

37. I don’t have a choice in who or what I am. I don’t act gay and I don’t act straight. I behave like me.

I look masculine – because I am a man and that’s me. Sometimes my mannerisms may seem exaggerated but they occur naturally, it isn’t a conscious decision.

The problem I have is that I have a feminine voice. Again this was not a conscious decision, my voice is how it sounds, I even had speech therapy which failed to change it.

There is a section of the gay community that seems to find my voice horrifying – I have lost track of the number of times that guys in bars have backed away when they have heard me speak. If you don’t like it, fine. Please don’t expect me to be anyone else other than the person I am just to make you feel better.

How can we ever truly be a ‘gay community’ when we are so overt in our prejudices of each other?

38. Camp isn’t a requirement for being gay, ias it? I just act as I am, a man who is sexually attracted to ther men – I don’t go googoo for Gaga, and I enjoy acoustic/soft rock music.

Most people say ‘you don’t come across as gay/I never realised’ and thats OK. But I am proudly gay

39. Abbey Fowler 21 Apr 2011, 10:46pm

I Think People should be what they wanna be really it dosent really matter cus thats them and were us and i think gay people are sooo Nice.

40. I thought the whole idea of equality was to be ourselves and be accepting of others gay, straight or pink with blue ploka dots. My friends are my friends because of who they are and not what they are..so to all my overtly camp,butch, straight and those not overtly anything other than themselves friends keep being yourselves cos I love ya for it!!

41. It shouldn’t be our job to conform to what makes straight people happy. People should stop being so narrow minded and bigoted. And that goes for many gay men too.

42. R. McCreath 13 May 2011, 11:47am

I don’t think gay men are too scared to be camp.
    Gay men shouldn’t have to fall under such a stereotypical image and just because someone is gay doesn’t mean that they should act a certain way, like certain things (apart from the same sex, obviously), etc. they are individual people who all have individual characteristics.

43. When I was pretending to be straight, I was putting on an act. If I pretend to be camp, it will just be another act.

44. Personally I’m on of those who IS attracted to feminine guys, as long as it’s attractively subtly and natural, and not artificial, over-the-top and bitchy.

45. danielmclion.tk 13 Jun 2011, 6:51pm

Remarcable: I’m the only one here with full name and real photo. It’s likely still a long way to be gay without fears.

1. Daniel I don’t think the fact that most people choose not to use their full name and picture is due to people being fearful. Such behavior is simply not typical on the internet – when people comment on the Guardian, Independent, Daily Mail, youtube, or some other forum it’s usually the same – people use avatars, nicknames, made up names, first names only etc. What is the need for more than that? It’s not a job application and most people just want their comment published – not to make themselves known on the web.

46. DIVYAPATEL 15 Jun 2011, 8:54pm

such it’s great academy for making career bright or having much better supiriour life

47. DIVYAPATEL 15 Jun 2011, 9:00pm

such it’s great film academy for making her career bright. we have ability to provide me much more better experience.

48. greg come 1 Aug 2011, 6:09am

Gays are more accepted? So why are there only 1% now among the British who identify as gay as the latest census showed?
    I think all this “gays are accepted” talk are all in the Internet while most of the straight-acting gays are reverting to identify themselves as straights. While most are busy wishfully talking…

49. Troll Killer 13 Apr 2011, 8:06pm

And you two should get a comedy award. TROLLS.

50. was there a point behind the article or just an observation on life back then and what its like now?

51. OMG it was my thought too, we must be tweens seperated at birth, init

52. O.M.G it was my thought too, we must be tweens seperated at birth, init

53. Jock S. Trap 14 Apr 2011, 8:31am

So don’t read it.

54. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 10:37pm

@Troll…
    ….why are you so angry and confrontational all the time??..Anyone whose comment you don’t like is instantly branded an idiot or troll or some other such nasty jibe.

55. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 9:17am

The comments Troll was referring to have been removed which is why a few of the last posts either don’t make sense or are out of sink time wise.

56. Jock it’s ‘out of sync’ (as in ‘synchronicity’), not ‘out of sink’.