Australian Facebook group outed gay soldiers

1. ADFA is exempt from any anti-discrimination legislation since there isn’t any – it is Federal Govt, run and the Howard Era made sure that no such legislation was ever passed. Now we have the Gillard era which is no better. As long as we have politicians who have no respect for their gay constituents we cannot expect any better from our citizens, especially those in the armed forces.

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 12:23pm

This is a disgrace. Theere should be a full investigation and heads rolling for this. It is abusive and discriminating.

The fact these people clearly have no respect for their fellow soldiers should be an issue. They all serve to protect now the government there has a duty to protect those being abused. Fair from leavin this they should be honouring them.

Prehaps they should be asking if those doing the ‘outing’ are really the best people to protect Australia.

3. Australia’s reputation as a cool forward thinking country is no longer valid.

1. Sorry I don’t agree – Remembr Australia ended no gays in the military in 1992 and infact recognises gay relationships in Defence as Marriage. All rights equivilant to marriage is given to same sex couples.

I hardly think a few morons should disgrace an entire country – let us not forget that the defence force this week has not had the best week publicity wise and this just adds to a pretty bad week for them.

1. A few morons? I think their actions probably reflect the feelings of large amount of people in Australia. Time and again people use p!ss poor excuses for Australia’s perceived enlightenment- I’ve seen people on Pink News use the Gay Mardia Gras and Kylie as examples, but when it comes down to the crunch Australia is as bigoted as any other nation

1. Ofcourse there is bigotry – but having lived in the UK for five years i have seen no difference in attitudes.

It just gets frustrating that you have the same people always commenting about how horrible it is to be gay in Australia when the reality is far different.

1. Sally I’m assuming you mean White and gay. London’s choices are not comparable.

2. @James!

Why is race an issue in this story?

3. Sally reckons Australia is some gay paradise not if you are an Aborigine

2. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 5:02pm

@ Sally…
        ….On the number of occasions i have visited Australia I have found it to be just as you say, a vibrant, happy and Gay friendly country. I absolute love the gay scene in Melbourne and also in Perth which while being smaller than melbourne is just as vibrant and active. I am not sure that this story is actually as important as it is being portrayed up here in Europe and i’m sure it will be sorted soon as as things in Oz usually are.

1. Naturally paddy.

2. I am Australian, and lived here for 19 years before moving overseas. Australia does not accept difference. They do no support gays. Nor do they accept other cultures. Most Australians are raciest and homophobic (According to my life growing up; teachers, friends, school, family members, random people shouting things on the street, etc)

1. This is sad. I must be so ignorant to not see this in my life of mixed beliefs, cultures, preferences and races. I wish we could all just learn from each other and love one another :(

2. gypsy_in_brisbane 22 Apr 2011, 3:14pm

I too am Australian.. have lived here all my life. Not sure where you lived Agyness…but I I have lived the last 20 years as an openly gay and proud citizen. I wasn’t harrassed or bullied any more than the fat kid, the carrot top or the chick with braces. I have an awesome life, enjoy my job, family and friends. So we have a few idiots in our defence force…but we also have many thousands of amazingly heroic and humble people serving our country and ensuring that we have the opportunity to express the very comments you chose to place here.

1. Same here Gypsy.
          As an openly gay man with a partner of 15 years it is rare that myself and my partner are not welcomed as a ‘couple’. I tend to call myseld ‘a normal guy who like the same equipment on my partner as I have myself’
          Even better is that my workmates are that comfortable we can swap gay and hetro jokes with no fear of offence.

4. When the former parliamentary secretary for social inclusion Senator Ursula Stephens , under the Rudd govt, at a Christian anti-gay marriage breakfast, leaves out from her speech that “includes sentiments that the Rudd Government believed people were entitled to respect, dignity and the opportunity to participate in society and be protected by the law regardless of their sexuality”, what can you expect?You’re right to point out the Gillard govt is almost just as bad and really what can you expect of the rest of Australians…

5. Sally, get your facts straight. Australian same-sex couples can register their partnerships in New South Wales, Tasmania and Victoria. Civil Partnerships are only allowed in the Australian Capital Terrritory. There are NO same-sex unions at the national level either. Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia do not have any same-sex unions.

1. Robert i suggest you get your facts rights – every state recognises gay relationships as de facto which pretty much give you same rights as marriage without the marriage certificate, 4 out of 8 parliaments have introduced Civil Union schemes hence with a different name i.e Relationship Registry/ Partnership Registry/ Civil Union.

Unde federal law same sex couples are treated as defacto couples which AGAIN gives equivilant rights to marriage in Immigration, Defence, Tax, Pension, Superannuation, Welfare, Medicare, Family Benefits, Maternity leave the list goes on and on.

I am not exusing the behaviour of these individuals but you some posters make it seem like we are living in Iran and we are ligned up daily ready to be stoned to death for being Gay/ Lesbian.

1. Paddyswurds1 13 Apr 2011, 2:59pm

who died and made Sally spokesperson for a whole country?

1. she is clearly expressing her opinion, perphaps you could do the same

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 3:37pm

Paddys…

Not sure you understand the concept of a comments page.

1. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 4:18pm

@Jock S Trap……..don’t know if you noticed but the cooment you refer to wasn’t made by me. Some moron is trying to steal my tag by adding a 1 on the end. This is my first comment on this thread.I have a fair idea who it is that is doing the stealing tho and have complained to PN.

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 4:23pm

Yep ok fair enough, I apologise for that, I didn’t notice the 1.

3. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 4:41pm

@Whoever you are….
          ….Sally is stating the facts about her own country and who exactly are you to question that?. Do you know as much about your country…i doubt it.

2. yep sally is right, there are many democratic countries that dont even mention discrimination based on sexual orientation in their laws let alone recognise same sex partnerships.

3. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 4:24pm

@Sally…
        … It is great to see a commentator on these threads that knows what you are talking about. Already you have run foul of the abuse brigade but that is only proof that what you say is fact and this crowd don’t do fact.
        You will notice that the tag below has a 1 attached The person who is doing that is trying to steal my tag as you can see and i have a fair isea who it is. PN is looking into this abuse. Be prepared for a barrage of abuse from this lot as you will see if you pop over to the Boy George story’s comments to see some of the illiterate ignorant rubbish they post and the bullying …well you willsee. Welcome to 2011 England.!!

1. Paddy you’re probably the biggest bully here at the moment you hypocrite. Having digs at people who live in specific areas of London- Sally if you do ‘pop over’ to the Boy George story as Paddy suggests you’ll see he’s spewing vile at all and sundry. Apparently London is full of asians, blacks, dopeheads, trannys etc all out to molest and abuse you. Paddy you’re full of the proverbial. As for the “welcome to 2011 England” you seem to have painted such a bitter picture of it on your other posts you may as well stay put in your georgian mansion in Ireland, you gobs1te.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 4:45pm

Which is why I left that comment to the Paddys..1. You kinda get used to the Paddys.. abuse. Apart from the 1 I would have known any different.

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 4:45pm

Correction, Wouldn’t have known.

3. Hi Jock, I’m referring to Paddy’s comment re the abuse he says he received on the Boy George story comments page- any abuse he received was due the comments he made and insults he threw at people he’s never met before.

4. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 4:51pm

@ CMYB….
            …i think Sally has demonstrated admirably already that she is well able to speak for herself and i’m sure will be well able to form her own opinion of the posts on the BG story without coaching from you. Others have, as you know, formed their own agreeable opinions of my comments and were also roundly bullied for doing so.
            The “welcome to England” comment was wholly ironic as i’m sure Sally realised. Perhaps “This is England 2011″ would have been more appropriate. Pity you don’t have the intellect to see the irony in it as well.

5. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 4:55pm

Hi CMYB

I just referring to all the abuse he tends to dish out… period.

4. Sally – all your examples where Australia “gives equivalent rights to marriage” are not actually comparable because the requirements to PROVE de facto partnerships here in Australia are
        more difficult than to prove marriage. Same sex and opp sex couples have to prove they have lived at the same address for the past 12 months to get similar (not equivalent) rights to marriage. But the fact is opp sex couples can get those rights in less than 1 yr, by marrying. Aus doesn’t recognise gays married overseas and won’t assist gays to get married overseas – both of which it will do for straights.

You also claim people compare Aus to Iran: they haven’t. People have complained that Aus is not living up to expectations of liberalism and “a fair go” for gays. And that these homophobic attitudes are supported by an unmarried atheist prime minister living in a long-term relationship. In other words, she doesn’t even have the excuse of “I’m illogical and bigoted because I’m a religious zealot”.

5. except de facto isn’t quite the same, I thought de facto meants being together for 2 yrs and proving it. A civi unions is a ceritifcate , no proof required and you get it from day one you do it. Not quite like a de facto !!!! which is unrecognised and never will be abroad.

6. There really are some vulgar people commenting here. Perhaps they should try to be less like Australians who are not quite civilised.

7. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 8:27pm

@CMYB…..
    …..what you really mean is you don’t like that i write in a style that tests your education, intelligence and debating abilities to the limit and beyond. The whole point of debate is just that , debate, whether you like what your opposition writes/says or not.
    If you were to belong to a debating society, you would be ejected within minutes for the way you and others behave on these threads. Don’t bother coming back to say i am abusive, because i know that my debating style has never gotten me ejected from a debating society and that is my assurance that the way i write is ok. I don’t speak in debate any different than i write. However i have seen debaters using your style ejected more often than i care to remember. Deliberate attempts at provocation are, believe it or not legitimate debating tactics to trip up ones opponent. Look it up if you want to . If you don’t have a book on debating, you can download one in minutes free from Google books………

8. These heartless jerks,may now take their
    earned place in the “HALL OF SHAME.”

9. a year in the big house (jail in american speak) would help.

anymore offences – a trip to the worst part of Afghanistan, where the religious zealots – christian and Islamic can fight it out together.

10. The catholic church is your enemy #1

The truth about it – go to http://www.nobeliefs.com/SIZAN.htm

be sure to reverse the letters SIZAN in the url because the church must have gotten PN to censor the truth about the church

11. The vatican is your prime enemy

Go to http://www.nobeliefs.com/SIZAN.htm
    for the truth

First reverse the letters SIZAN in the url

12. Of course it was all fine when St. Peter Tatchell and his mates were doing to exact sane thing. Especially all right when it caused an elderly man’s death.

No difference between the two cases.

13. Where on earth, Paddy, did you get the dreadful, archaic, past participle of the verb ‘to get’. It is used only by Americans and by the vulgar. Do try to develop a good style.

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:00am

@ Nev….
      …whhat are you talking about ….where did i use that term… certainly not on this page and tbh I don’t think I ever have, but it’s possible as 10 years in Boston MA tends to grow on one.
      I think you may be referring to a comment by “John” but if not please copy and paste the complete quote,, (as you should have done) so i can see what your complaining about. BTW first you thought Aussies weren’t “civilised” and now the Americans are “vulgar” what do you think of we Irish one wonders…… a bit of a “little Englander” eh Nev??

1. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:28am

error……
        …..sigh. …….what,*….obv.

2. Paddyswurds 14 Apr 2011, 11:34am

@ Nev…..
      …”.no proof required and you get it from day one you do it.”
      I had a good read through the comments again and all i can find is the above quote from “John”. So I think the egg is firmly on your face Nev. Care to apologise?

14. Wordsworth it ain’t but the sentiment is appreciated I’m sure.

15. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 4:53pm

…..you wouldn’t know Wordsworth if he came up and shoved his entire lifes work in your poisinous gob!!

16. Just can’t help yourself can you Paddy? I’d feel pity for you but that would be entirely a waste of time, cretins like you masquerade as having something viable to say but you’re basically a glorified troll, I bid you good day you ageing bitter shrivelled up empty husk of a sad excuse for a human being.

17. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 5:44pm

….pot kettle and black come to mind.what would you call the last two lines of your comment above i wonder???
    I am more than able for you and you aren’t happy about that are you. BTW are you also rapture cause if not you sure as heck smell alike…..

18. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:40am

@cmyb…
    ….not where you’re concerned anyway as it is so easy. Really i suppose one shouldn’t bait the afflicted but i do enjoy it so.
    Same with that other halfwit rapture. He, like you, is just so predictible, one could almost write his comments for him in advance. Are you brothers, possibly twins or is it just a coincidence that you are both so alike?
    My partner and I have been palying a word game based on the words we think you will come up with to describe me or to describe my comments, but you are so repetetive. Can’t you be a little more creative. .Jon has won three times by just guessing how many times you will repeat certain words.
    I on the other hand have been (wrongly it turns out) giving you too much credit as to your literacy which is why i have only won twice and it cost me three extra shags which for an auld boy can be a bit much.

19. Just because more than one comment disagrees with your postings on here it doesn’t mean they’re all posted by the one person. It just so happens that quite a few people on here dislike what you write and are offended by your deliberate attempts at provocation.

20. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 6:39pm

….boohoohoo..sobsob..
    suck it up moron.

21. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 8:30pm

@CMYB…..

22. Troll Killer 13 Apr 2011, 8:34pm

Grow up paddy, you’re a 60 year old Troll FFS. Maybe you should take a walk in one of your green fields that you have a view of and go and argue with some sheep.

23. OMG it was my thought too, we must be tweens seperated at birth, init

24. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 8:51pm

@Troll Killer/rapture…..
    …… lol…it’s lambing time and the sheep are in their lambing pens and the cattle aren’t out yet either so i will have to pass on the chat, but I am just back from my walk and it is a glorious evening here in the West of Ireland and the sunset is beautiful; now for a nice cuppa and a spliff with hubby…..

25. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:42am

error….
    ….playing.* …obv.

26. Paddyswurds 15 Apr 2011, 2:43am

error ….
    ……playing*…..obv

27. Jock S. Trap 15 Apr 2011, 9:32am

Then you wonder why people act the way they do around you.