US student branded in homophobic attack

1. Jason Brown 12 Apr 2011, 5:12pm

That’s pretty horrific, it’s sad to see in this day and age there are mindless savages attacking people.

1. Agree. Really awful.

2. Keith Lynwood 12 Apr 2011, 5:13pm

the n*zis are alive and well and living in North Carolina ……….

1. Particularly shocking as I thought UNC was one of the liberal universities.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 8:17am

It amazes me these people appear smart enough for university in the first place.

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 8:21am

I agree. Faking a story with that melodramatic “Here’s a taste of Hell-l-l-l..” was pretty lame. Sounds like something Jack the Ripper would’ve said.

3. Jock S. Trap 12 Apr 2011, 5:20pm

Absolutely disgusting. Such hate from people who assume rather than be educated.

4. What does the number 8 represent?

5. That’s horrific!!! WTF are some people on???

6. Chucky Baer 12 Apr 2011, 5:52pm

And the sick bastard that did this to this kid probably went to church on Sunday and claimed he did God’s work by burning a “fag”. Just assuming that but probably not too far off. Glad it is being treated as a hate crime. If they catch the guy that did this they should let the student burn his balls off so this breeder can’t breed more filth into this world.

1. Nathan Keller 12 Apr 2011, 9:05pm

I am a believer in Christ and the Bible myself. I have no problems with homosexuality and have no stance on the legality of their marriages. But assuming the man responsible for the act went to church and thought he did God’s work is just as wrong as assuming things of homosexuality.

1. No it is not cause that hate crime was obviously motivated by religious crap.

2. Hodge Podge 13 Apr 2011, 1:28am

Not comparable. The guy was shouting about hell as he did it, assuming he’s religious is reasonable.

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 8:19am

Nevertheless Nathan, sadly still plausible.

7. dave wainwright 12 Apr 2011, 5:53pm

Yet another example of homophobia within the education system , it is the young who are on the battlefield and in the warzones whilst GAY PRIDE becomes a commercial circus and profit making machine , it is necessary for PRIDE to be a PROTEST and regain political credibility by taking the lead on the FIGHT for our young people , this is THE ISSSUE of our time , to many young people in our schools and colleges are victims of homophobic bullying either subject to assaults attacks or being driven to suicide as in the case of Dominic Crouch . Far to much complacency from the Kylie and Lady Gaga brigade , time to get real and make a difference . PRIDE IS A PROTEST make it count .

8. Proposition 8?

9. This made me physically nauseous. Here’s to hoping the physical and emotional trauma heal well for the poor kid, and whoever did this is brought to justice.

10. Helen Wilson 12 Apr 2011, 6:47pm

A sickening premeditated attack, lets hope the police catch the sub-human who did this and he gets jail time.

11. I live in NC and our local news channel just reported that it was a ‘false report’ …That it did not happen…???? wonder what is up with this story ?

12. Turns out this was a false report… It still is not clear how he got the burns.

Here is the retraction from the local news agency there : http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9429895/

13. what is the UNC doing about? What is happening to the brander? Who were the branders? What does the parents on both sides have to say? What really being done? More details……

14. Paddyswurds 13 Apr 2011, 12:32am

The USA is strangely reminiscent of the late Roman Empire. Exactly what is going on over there? The religionists have a lot to do with it and the regular folk seem paralysed about doing anything about it. I predict the United States wont exist as a federal entity in an other 15 to 20 years, New England will be the first to secede as they are the most liberal and are less in thrall to the religious evangical far right who are destroying the country with bigotry and racism. The racism against Barak Obama has to be seen and heard to be believed. it is unbelieveable the things they are saying against a good man. The vitriol against JFK was gentle praise compared to what is going on today. Then you have these idiotic small parties like the Tea Party who practically deify people like Sarah Palin and Christine O’Donnell, two of the most idiotic people ever to have walked this planet. Its gonna be messy folks and the awful thing about it is we will all suffer when it does finally implode…

1. I have to say that you really have said what I have thought for ages. The problem with America, is that a once progressive and forward-thinking country now appears (to me anyway) to be looking back into the past. Of course, I do despair that the Americans appear willing to give people like Palin traction and political influence, but it seems symptomatic of a nation that hasn’t quite grown up enough from the days of the Founding Fathers; there isn’t, for example, a judiciary that is entirely free of political patronage and the rule of law is not so encompassing as to convince the people that guns simply aren’t necessary in a modern, civil society. In fact, the USA has become a nation of gun-runners, and it’s not good! Then there is the Constitutional concept of “free speech”. Hate speech is accepted in the US, because it is their embodiment of the Constitutional right to free speech, no matter how divisive or damaging that may be. In this country, we have free speech with caveats

1. …and that shows how we, as a democracy and as a nation, have grown and evolved over time. I am immensely proud of that, and it’s something that the USA lacks. I do fear for the future of that country, and its influence is such that if it goes down, the world will be a much darker place, whatever our sexuality may be.

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 5:21pm

Just don’t attack poor Wills’ car, like you guys tend to do, during that wedding.

1. Do you even try to make sense? Wedding? Car? LOL! You fool.

15. There’s some evil fukcers out there.

16. Patrick Mark 13 Apr 2011, 4:19am

Now that it’s been proven a false report, I hope those people who rushed to judgement (“the n*zis in North Carolina”, “probably went to church on Sunday and claimed he did God’s work”, etc.) are as quick to apologize as they were to blame.

Hoping, but won’t be holding my breath…

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 8:03am

These types never do. It’s just not “in” them.

17. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 6:21am

Paddyswurds is the type who likes to live a little fantasy about what the U.S. is like. Firstly, most anti-gay assaults happen in cities like New York and Los Angeles, and most are committed by African-American criminal thug types. Never by practicing Christians (even though they can be criticized for other things). Anyway, this was yet another fake case, of which we’ve had a few in the past two years (look up Phillip Nelson and Shawn Bennett).

1. Fake case? How so? I assume you have proof of this to back up your racist argument? Pray tell.

And to assume that “practising christians” are perfectly innocent, is quite frankly naive and stupid thing to say. One only has to look at these message boards to see that. It is “christian” nations that enforce heavy prison sentences and death penalty on gay people in Africa and in much of the Caribbean and Oceania, and even enforce . Christians are very much responsible, like all dogmatic religions, for fanning the flames of hate and violence towards gay people.

We are not living in any “little fantasy” about the USA, the figures speak for themselves. The USA has 44% of its population believing in a 6,000 year old earth and that god created everything as is. And you think “christian” influence is for the better in the USA? Indeed.

Was the case where a christian group tried to execute a rural Georgia man by burning him alive in his home in January this year, fake too?

Wake up.

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 7:15am

It’s been determined to be fake. As to the rest of your tirade, you better go back and read what I wrote again. (Pretty hilarious that you call me a “racist” for stating what I know goes on in the U.S. and then you reaffirm that the most homophobic nations are in the Carribean and Africa. Are you the racist?)

1. “and most are committed by African-American criminal thug types”

Well, perhaps you can put some statistics to this, and then I’ll stand corrected.

“and then you reaffirm that the most homophobic nations are in the Carribean and Africa. Are you the racist?

Talk about missing the point! These are all “christian” nations, and so called “christian” values drive the crimes against LGBT people in these countries. Its called an example. There is nothing racist about stating this. As in the case where the vicious attack by christians against the gay man in Georgia, which you conveniently ignored in your defence of these peaceful christians, speaks volumes. Christians are far, far from innocent.

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 8:01am

But they’re all non-Caucasian nations! So you’re a racist. You try to sneak around it by saying “They’re…uh…all Christians..” (some of them are Muslim, BTW; and in Jamaica it’s Rastafarians who hate gays too). Iowa, in the Midwestern U.S., is all Christian and it allows gay marriage. It’s also one of the whitest states in the country (like the other gay-marriage states like Vermont and New Hampshire). As for black thugs being the gay-bashers, I don’t have to look up statistics. Read any U.S. gay blog, regularly, about new gay-bashings and 4 out of 5 times the culprit is black (yet blacks only represent 10 percent of the country. ) They’re all against gay marriage, too. I know you like to fantasize that it’s otherwise…but…Anyway, as to the attack in Ga., I vaguely know of it, but I’ll believe you. It still doesn’t mean Christians are the ones doing 99.9 percent of U.S. gaybashings. But, let me ask you something. Are UK gaybashings done by Christians?

2. “I don’t have to look up statistics”

Sure you don’t, you can peddle your racist crap here any time without statistics.

“Read any U.S. gay blog”

Yeah, real scientific research there. I prefer more confirmed sources, thanks.

“But they’re all non-Caucasian nations! So you’re a racist.”

That’s called a correlative fallacy. i.e. stupid statement in lay man terms.

“Are UK gaybashings done by Christians?”

The point being that christian (like all dogmatic religions, as I stated previously, which you didn’t read either), are responsible for spreading the lies and half-truths that cause gay bashing. Do you think the vermin that killed Matt Sheppard were muslim, or black? Apparently so.

Perhaps make an effort to read, so then you won’t have to project the racist slur on others to protect your belief that all gay bashings are caused by black people. Get some figures, then we’ll talk on an equal footing.

2. AmericanHomo said “It still doesn’t mean Christians are the ones doing 99.9 percent of U.S. gaybashings”

Eh? Sooooooo, black people are, and can’t be, Christian???? WTF???

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 8:16am

All of the ones busted for gaybashings have long criminal records. Believe me, they’re not church-goers. ///But I don’t care if Will calls me racist. Greater men than I- Darwin, Schweitzer, Ford, Goddard- were hardcore racists. ///But since he won’t answer me, maybe someone else can give me the profile of the average UK gay-basher. Just generally-speaking?

2. “Believe me, they’re not church-goers”

Funny that, I don’t believe you. You can’t provide any evidence, ergo, you’re just peddling racist nonsense.

“I don’t care if Will calls me racist. Greater men than I- Darwin, Schweitzer, Ford, Goddard- were hardcore racists”

So you are a racist, and a proud one at that. I abhor racism as I do homophobia, both are the recourse of a weak and ignorant mind. And all the so-called “good company your in” as a racist doesn’t lessen that fact one bit.

And as you cannot back up your outlandish and silly claims, why would figures form the UK make what you said right or wrong?

You, sir, are a buffoon.

3. “But I don’t care if Will calls me racist. Greater men than I- Darwin, Schweitzer, Ford, Goddard- were hardcore racists”

WOW! This says it all. You are a pig. How dare you enter a gay site with this racist bullcrap and expect decent people to respond to this!!!!

4. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 10:03am

Agreed!

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 8:27am

“Never by practicing Christians”

Erm on which planet, would this be?

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 8:32am

Not on the same planet where anyone would have believed this hammy branding story.

1. Why not put a pillow case on your head and burn a cross, there’s a good chap. That’ll make it all better, won’t it? Those damn blacks, besmirching the good name of innocent christians who want nothing more then to do right for gay people.

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 8:37am

I’d be a Skinhead if I was a racist. At least they look hot. So…the profile of the average UK gaybasher please..?

2. “I’d be a Skinhead if I was a racist”

I’m sorry. Is that supposed to pass as a valid defence? Do you eat books instead of read them?

“So…the profile of the average UK gaybasher please..?”

No, you make the racist accusation first. YOU produce the figures for the USA.

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 9:54am

Again, I’ve just had two blokes knocking at my door with their preaching religious agenda. They really are a bunch of hypocrites.

Homo’ agenda this, gay agenda that, yet they’re the ones going round knocking on doors!

Now where was I? Oh yes “I’d be a Skinhead if I was a racist.” Erm seriously?

2. Just a Quote from the UK report of Homophobic Hate Crime for you
          where homosexual acts have been legal in almost all countries since at least the 1940s, violence against “LGBTQI people” are qualified as a hate crime,[1] motivated by homophobia, and are often connected with either religious or extremist political ideologies which condemn homosexuality and relate it to being weak, ill, feminine, and morally wrong

So shut it with the Racism

1. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 5:04pm

Does that include Indian Hindus ? In the U.S. I can’t think of a single case where one of them bashed. Some religions seem more prone to active homophobia than others. So….in the UK the average queer-basher is a white male coming home from church?

2. AmericanHomo 13 Apr 2011, 5:15pm

BTW : I’m not Jewish either, but I don’t care if I’m called Jewish because of Salk and Einstein and etc. Same with racists. I also recognize that calling me “racist” is a good way to dismiss what I say and stay confined in your fantasies that in the U.S. (and other places) it’s mean-white-Christian-homophobe-racists against blacks-united-with-gays. That’s just not factual nor plausible. And as for “worrying” about the U.S….I love England, but I think you better worry about your own rioting country. (And stop believing stories about queer-bashers running around with branding irons!)

3. “I’m called Jewish because of Salk and Einstein and etc”

You are no Einstein, I assure you.

“I love England, but I think you better worry about your own rioting country.”

What on earth are you talking about, you write utter nonsense.

If I were you, I’d go and get educated, the3 racism and stupidity you display here is nauseating.

18. Hi everyone, I’m gay.