New Jersey trans man fired from men-only job

1. He is a man for goodness sake. I hope he takes them to court.

2. Jock S. Trap 12 Apr 2011, 3:50pm

Blatant discrimination. Look forward to hearing his win but this sort of thing really should be a thing of the past.

3. Red Gosans 12 Apr 2011, 5:05pm

He has gone through hormone treatment and surgery. Where is he not male?

I really hope that the lawsuit is ruled in his favour and he gets a good settlement.

1. He IS legally male. Pink News should’ve reprinted the article from the NY Times that was much better written. Under the circumstances this SHOULD be an open and shut case. But whenever a trans person goes to court in the USA NOTHING is a sure thing. New Jersey has a very active LGBT community so I’m sure it’s getting a lot of attention down there.

4. Just a thought: I wonder, had a trans-woman applied for the same job, would they have allowed her it on the grounds that she was born biologically male? Somehow, I think not. So it should work the other way round, right? They cannot fire someone because he was born biologically female (without even bringing law into it) without discriminating and contradicting themselves.

Anyway, they claim no discrimination, but I can see no way out of this one; this man has a job, and they fire him on the grounds that he was born biologically female. There were no complaints about the quality of his work. Sounds pretty clear-cut discrimination to me. I hope this goes to court.

1. Helen Wilson 12 Apr 2011, 5:10pm

The law currently allows trans woman to be discriminated against in the UK in rape crisis centres and woman’s refuges.

So if a trans woman is raped or the victim of domestic violence they often have no place to go.

1. Helen
        Indeed and I’ve seen that in action. A disgrace.

1. You’re right, Helen – Britain’s so behind the times. I raised this point when volunteering for a regional rape crisis charity in England and noticed that whilst their mission statement was hypothetically trans-inclusive, this was not made clear in their literature or web material. It turned out that they had tried to clarify their stance before, but had left it alone as a ‘hot potato’, because the issue was so strongly contested by various members of the organisation. Not good enough!

I’m now staying in Vancouver, and it’s really great to see how similar organisations employ trans-positive policies over here (although I’ve heard some still use some worrying second-wave feminist rhetoric).

Hopefully if people keep pushing the issue in Britain, people will wake up to transphobia as another unacceptable manifestation of prejudice.

2. Helen – that is unbelievable (in the awful way that it is totally believable). Do we still put trans-women in men’s prisons or with males in single sex hospital wards? I thought we’d sorted all this nonsense out.

1. David – if a trans-woman has a GRC (Gender Recognition Certificate) she would go to a female prison. If not, then a men’s prison – even though she might have had genital reassignment surgery.

5. She’s a woman; deal with it. Just because someone’s been careless with a knife, taken some pills and had some plastic surgery does not magically transform them into a man or a woman.

1. Wrong. She is in law a man, deal with it. Though you may be being provocatively ironic and know this already.

1. Sorry, I meant he is in law a man.

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 5:00pm

Adam

You demonstrate yet again all that is wrong with this world.

3. OrtharRrith 13 Apr 2011, 5:10pm

What a bigotted and uninformed statement! HE is male. It’s not a hard concept to get your head around, so live with it or go back into your cave and leave the modern people alone.

4. Paul - England 14 Apr 2011, 2:15pm

@Adam: A few pills, a knife and a frontal labotomy – and you might just have a few brain cells to rub together.