Government seeks transgender community’s feedback

1. Jock S. Trap 12 Apr 2011, 4:15pm

Interesting story. I really am please Lynne Featherstone is Equality Minister. I feel she is there willingly to make a difference and the right person for the job.

Here’s hoping with the information given they correct the prejudice and discrimination and create a more equal level for all. But will they go far enough?

2. @Jock, If Lynne Featherstone can help those who have transitioned whilst being married and want to remain married without dissolution then it’ll be a step in the right direction.

I am glad (certainly from the occasional trans person I meet) that trans people are treated with a degree more dignity than in the past, except the daily hate mail (of course :( )

1. We are, but we’re not there yet. It’s still commonly acceptable to mock trans women as “men in dresses”, which is only the thin part of the wedge. Sadly it’s not just the daily fail. Nor is the discrimination and hatred from a single group.

I think it’s important to spread the message that trans people have a medical condition, they are born their chosen gender and do not chose to “change their sex”. I was born male, sadly my body did not reflect this and after many years of stress I am seeking to making it easier for others to recognise me as male. It’s great to come across people who can respect who we know ourselves to be, we just need more people like that in the world!

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Apr 2011, 8:37am

I guess there may be that element of not going far enough but here’s hoping they do listen and do start to improve things.

3. Helen Wilson 12 Apr 2011, 6:59pm

Maybe Lynne should start by having words with the governments media arm the BBC. I’m sure I am not the only person who is fed up with Chalky White style BBC comedy programs like Little Britain and Russell Howard portraying trans people as freaks with beards. Especially as its the only representation of trans people the BBC show.

1. agreed , Whenever my beautiful trans friend and me are out and about, she always gets stupid people on buses etc especially teenagers screaming “im a lady” then spitting at her. so much for the bbc head of diversity .

4. OrtharRrith 12 Apr 2011, 11:17pm

With a little bit of luck, something good will come from this. Lynne Featherstone is certainly making all the right noises in my opinion, and it’s certainly one of the few redeeming features of this goverment.

5. Here is the catch… intersex people are not currently included in the Equality Act 2010 or other UK human rights law reforms. Officers in the Minister’s office have stated that intersex people will be invited to participate in the survey too. Yet the e-bulletin issued about the survey does not include the word “intersex” and there is no sign in it of any intention to include intersex people in the survey. If it is the intention to include us, then how are we supposed to deduce that we are invited to do so without them actually telling us or using the word intersex anywhere?

1. They do provide bits of open space within the survey – tell them that they need to include intersex people and do more to protect them through legislation! The currect government have a horrible habit of asking for public opinion and then ignoring us but as my family say “don’t ask: don’t get”.

6. As an M to F I agree that this is a step in the right direction and hope it is followed through right to the end. After all we are expected to accept the responsibilities of living in this society, lets now have the rights.

7. Trans peoples are inspirational ,but unfortunately are at the forefront of receiving very hateful discrimination in society. For many ,transgendered identity is the final taboo.

8. I’ve gone out knocking on doors with Lynne in the past and she truly is a lovely and very genuine person. She will listen to any comments and feedback I can assure you, she’s always listened to the relevant organisations in the Lib Dems when formulating policy on women, young people or the LGBT+ community in the past and answers any questions at Conference.

Send the survey around to everyone you know http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3DVWS8S

9. paulawilmott 19 Apr 2011, 5:06pm

I get the feeling it’s another wool pulling exercise while they set about removing the Equality Act 2010 completely. Look for my forum post on the subject and please respond.

10. fleur black 20 Apr 2011, 2:32pm

will Lynne featherstone remove all the obscene crossdressing from the media in the same way that all the anti-black, anti-jewish content was removed?

11. May I ask, why does this worry you and make you sad? As someone who is a female to male transsexual this makes me very pleased. The government is at least making an attempt to listen to the trans community.