Hungary gay groups to protest against new constitution

1. Here’s an idea: how about we protest against the proposal where a parent can cast an additional vote on the ballot for their underage kid? As if the talent of spreading legs somehow equals political wisdom and bring an entitlement to plural voting.

Who cares about banning same-sex unions when democracy itself is under attack in Hungary?!

1. *I wrote “democracy”, but I really meant “common sense”.

1. Good god, I didn’t know they did that. That’s terrifying.

2. if everyone is equal under law than how come gays cannot marry, unless hungarian law resambles the one from book ‘animal farm’, where some are more equal then rest

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 2:35pm

Yet again, another country, all are equal except LGBT people, yet why are we different? We are human being, we do pay taxes and vote.

When will these backward people see the harm they are doing and remove except and replace it with as well as?

No good can come from this. I would hope Europe would do something to encourage Hungary to change the wording.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 8:01am

I hope so.

4. Another case of them thinking: We know we are in the loosing side, so we better hurry and change the Constitution so logic won’t have a chance in the future. When you suspect that your truth is not really true after all, you enforce it by decree, as your feeble truth has no strength of its own.
    Sadly I suspect they will get away with it, as those countries, so fresh under the influence of real European freedom, are still heavily bounded to atavistic ideas.

1. As they are now members of the EU I suspect they won’t get away with it. Cyprus have been warned by the EU that if they do not put in place a number of changes to their processes including aviation safety and some LGBT issues that they will be prosecuted at the European court.

1. I hope so. I don’t know how far belonging to the EU bonds you to such specifics as the definition of marriage –as many state members don’t have same sex marriages I suspect it doesn’t- but I imagine that they wouldn’t dare if that was the case.
        I personally think that the EU began to lose consistency when they added countries to the list without checking their issues, not being the lesser ones the records on human rights and obviously on homophobia. But that’s another story.

1. Lexxs

You may well be right about same sex unions and the EU not having specific influence – although I think they are moving in that direction … However, it is clear that there must be good LGBT equality generally and by bringing into force a new constitution that is less favourable to LGBT people compared to heterosexual, I suspect the EU will bring pressure to the Hungarian government.
          I agree that whilst EU growth did appear to be a good thing – that there needed to be consistency in terms of only admitting those with a positive human rights record – that wasnt followed through and thats disappointing.

5. It’s probably just posturing by their government to appeal to the “traditional” demographic. They know the EU won’t let this happen.

1. Yes, it will be closely monitored by the commission. For some countries in the EU, even Italy, European laws are the only decent laws these countries have.

6. Only about half the population believe in God, but Hungary has the fourth largest Pentecostal megachurch in Europe. And we know how much they love us. Just wondering if there’s a connection.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 11:38am

Yep, it’s all about the love with them people.

7. Gosh there was personal intervention by the Pope to make this happen, and the Pentecostalists have been very active too.

I thought a constitution was to set out your rights, not what you’re banned from!

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 3:41pm

What do you expect though, it’s what they arte all about.

8. It also looks like the Christian groups want to declare the existing Civil Partnership Act unconstitutional, and this step may help them do that!

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 3:41pm

Wouldn’t surprise me.

9. Bent Sauer 7 Apr 2011, 4:55pm

why don’t you all move to Denmark? :-)

1. Why would you want that to be the case?