Woman attacks ‘evil homosexual’ Gauguin painting

1. Helen Wilson 5 Apr 2011, 2:36pm

Arrrr two women appearing on TV right now I guess its very homosexual!!!!!

Crazy F’ing religionist fruitloop.

1. Certainly appears to be mentally ill

There possibly is a religious element to it, but having carefully read this report and others including some in the US media, I am struggling to see any indication one way or another

She certainly appears to need some therapy.

A number of the mental health cases I have dealt with have had fixations on issues like the CIA, sexuality or politics – not necessarily because of any person belief (although in one case quite clearly was linked to their religion).

2. silly cnut

3. Reed Braden 5 Apr 2011, 2:40pm

I’m almost as tired of the media making America look like a nation of zealous morons as I am tired of Americans being zealous morons. This makes my country look bad, and it makes me ashamed to be an American.

1. Paddyswurds 5 Apr 2011, 5:14pm

@Reed Braden……

….”media making America look like a nation of zealous morons ” The media is doing nothing of the sort. What the media is doing however is showing America for what it IS, not look like.

1. Dandelion 5 Apr 2011, 6:26pm

If you think America is full of this, you really should take a visit. My girlfriend visited me here and, gasp, we held hands and sat together in the most church concentrated place in America. You literally can’t go a block without passing one. Just remember, it is the hollow pot which makes the loudest noise – there are far more sound people and you are doing a disrespect by only giving attention to the nuts and not recognizing how beautiful and diverse it is here.

1. Dandelion,

Absolutely. (I love your country and people, by the way – we’re not all self-righteous little US-baiters here in the UK)

1. I do love the US when I visit there (most of the time)

However, I get outraged and frustrated that what is a sophisticated and knowledgeable country can allow bigots to set the media perception of its nation and fail to overcome that message.

It appears that a significant minority (maybe majority) are unaware of a world outside the US

There is a persistant right wing Christian agenda that seeks to treat certain groups (including LGBT) with inequality.

I love the enlightened US – I despise the message the bigots put out. I get frustrated that people within the US who have integrity struggle to overcome the bigotry.

There are leaps forward. We do have similar (But not so extreme) problems in the UK. There appears to be a stronger weight to the bigots in the US media than not – that needs to be overcome.

2. There is an element of the media showing the US to be exactly what it is (or a significant minority / perhaps majority of it).

Regardless of the proportion of people who are anti LGBT rights and bigoted against gays – those who are seem to have some of the most vocal voices but seem to not understand how ridiculous some of the things they say sound eg Donald Trump this week who doesnt feel good about gay marriage – shucks, like I care …

Whatever the motivation for these bigoted views (and in many but not all case it is related in some way to religion), if the liberal population of the US do not want to appear ridiculous or their country to look ridiculous – they need to celebrate the good stuff they have done, but continue to work to improve gay rights in the US – more vocally, more vociferously and succeed – then maybe the US won;t appear socially twisted

3. Have you ever been to America then?

You’ll know that it generally differes willdly between one region and another.

America is full of religious frutiloops but then – most places are.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:34am

Went once…

…Never again.

Give me Canada anyday!!

2. @Mendirin

Have been several times

It does vary enormously

4. Whereas if it was a report of case of a gay Iranian being hanged from a crane, that wouldn’t be showing Iranians for what they are, would it Paddy? It would just be ‘their own business’ what ‘they’ do to gay people.

How much more fun for an apologist like yourself to sound off about a case of a nut like this and pretend the US is as or more hompohobic than the countries where gays are routinely imprisoned or executed by the state.

1. @Garamond

You have a point. In this particular instance in terms of the attempted damage of the painting it was the action of a specific individual in particular circumstances. Equally, an Iranian gay hanging from a crane could be construed in that way.

However, the reality is that the culture of Iran is definitely homophobic and some actions of both individuals and the Iranian regime are horrific and inhumane towards gay people – it would therefore not be unexpected if a gay Iranian hanging in Iran caused discussion of LGBT rights in that country (or lack of them). In the same way, there are some vitriolic and prejudiced policies in some US states and organisations that deny equal rights to LGBT people. There have also been vitriolic and damaging verbal attacks in the US media by bigots against gay rights, including from some main stream politicians. It is therefore, not unsurprising when homophobia is highlighted in the media by an incident such as this (albeit appearing…..

1. … to be the act of a lone mentally ill person) that discussion occurs considering the background of media statements which damage LGBT equality and policies in place which ensure unequal treatement.

That does not deny those who have long supported gay rights for the very good work they have done. It merely discusses whether or not the background has any impact on the actions of the lone individual

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:33am

Truth hurts Reed!

3. “Reclaim America from The Lunatic Fringe!” http://tiny.cc/wrt5t

“Reclaim America from The Lunatic Fringe!”
      The Blog: http://tiny.cc/zpzwu

4. If this is as described in the article, then – objectionable as what she said was – I think her “pending mental evaluation” should be what we’re emphasising. The picture painted of her (sorry, pun not intentional) is of someone who doesn’t sound like she has it all together.

1. Quite… anyone who lacks the basic self awareness not to do that in a heavily guarded gallery doesn’t sound like she’s all there to begin with.

5. Helen Wilson 5 Apr 2011, 2:55pm

The thing is she clearly did not get the paintings visual joke about melons!

1. Christine Beckett 5 Apr 2011, 4:22pm

Love it… :-)

6. To be fair I think this women is surrering from mental health problems rather than being a religious wing-nut. Anyone who says they have ‘a radio in their head’ is probably a paranoid schizo.

1. I agree, and so I DO feel sorry for her and hope she gets the help she needs.

But I also think that some (note I said ‘some’ there) extreme religious people have mental issues too. It’s a pity that those people don’t get the suppport they need.

1. Iris

Very well said.

I hope she does get the help she needs

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:36am

Mal

Religious Nutjobs of this nature and Mental Health issues I think are well and truely linked.

1. It’s actually usually the other way round. Schizophrenia and “Voices in their head” and often attributed to god talking to people. I know of a few cases where the person had no religious views at all, but later became intensely pious once the condition took hold.

I think people should show rather more respect for those with mental health conditions. You wouldn’t call someone with physical health problems like AIDS or cancer a loser, so why call these poor people “schizos” and “nut-jobs”?

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 10:23am

Actually I speak as someone who has been treated for mental health problems directly Because of Religion and Religious Nutjobs so I feel justified in calling religious extremist Nutjobs.

They force their agenda on people and when those people don’t want to know they get nasty, abusive. Take their idea of ‘Gay cures’. We know how damaging they are. We speak out against it. Well I do to when society is dictating religion. Until they see the damage they do with their attitude and until we have completely equal rights I think every LGBT person has every right to verbally attack all those that stand in our way.

1. @Jock S Trap
            Religious extremists do force their ideas on some people. Sometimes in very damaging ways. Having treated some people who have been emotionally and mentally injured by persistent religious manipulation, I share your views that the damage that can be done in these circumstances is often vastly underestimated and we need to support and care for those who are injured by such bigots.
            We also need to recognise that not all attacks on LGBT people/images etc are grounded in religion otherwise we do not confront all homophobia

2. Jock: So then you wouldn’t complain if I referred to you as a “nutjob loony faggot”?

Just because some people ramble on about religion does not mean they are genuine religious nuts. You claim religion can cause mental health problems, but it’s far more likely the other way round where people lose the plot and turn to religion, or their illness generates these fantasies.

I would ask if you show these people a little fcuking respect. Mental illness is still a taboo subject and it doesn’t help with people like you going around calling people names. Or do you stand, point and laugh at people in the street suffering from cerebral palsy too?

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 2:40pm

Couldn’t care less what you call me, I’ve been called worse.

As for the rest of your rambling. It’s just laughably pathetic but then coming from you Spanner it usually is.

4. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 2:46pm

Fact is my own experience was because of extreme religious bigotry from both Christians and Muslims. Try living for four years being told you should be dead, your scum and much worse besides and then by all means claims it’s nothing to do with Religion. Fact is you know nothing, you yet again assume.

When you’ve gone through the level of abuse because of religion as I and many other LGBT people have you too would find it Very difficult to respect or trust any religion or any religious Nutjob.

So yes, Religious Nutjobs do have a mental health problem because they knowingly carry on harming and torturing others without a care in the world to what damage they are doing.

5. Yes, and there are also genuinely mentally ill people that believe God is talking to them too. These people should be treated and pitied, not called name, you insensitive cnut.

6. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 8:26am

You say that Spanner but I Never saw my abusers show any sensitivity. The’re aim was to drive me to suicide and if it wasn’t for THT and the local Police I probably would have given them what they wanted.

If being like this keeps me strong against those bastards then, so what. I will never suffer at the hands of religious Nutjobs again. I will also do all I can to stop others going through that.

Religion is Evil. End of.

2. I’m not concerned with religious people, I am referring to clinically determined mentally ill people. The fact that some have a “God thing” going on is irrelevant. Many mentally ill people become obsessive about religion.

It is quite obvious from the description that the woman has a major problem, and needs professional help.

These people should be treated and pitied, not called names, you insensitive cnut.

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 3:42pm

In short, I think your Nuts!!

1. @Jock S Trap

Compassionate, understanding, thoughtful, willing to consider to issues and alternate viewpoints – all things we expect from others towards LGBT people – and yet you do not wish to extend the same courtesy … sheesh!

7. TheSuburban Bi 5 Apr 2011, 3:40pm

I think they need to start putting valium in the water in DC.

1. J. Spears 5 Apr 2011, 5:56pm

haha, I think they need to start putting valium in the water everywhere.

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:37am

Excellent Idea!!

8. Clearly mental health issues. Lets hope she gets the intensive care she needs before being released into productive society.

9. Christopher Wintermute 5 Apr 2011, 4:19pm

Just as long as she has a ‘radio in her head’ then that’s fine with me. It’s the ones that don’t have the radio in their head and still behave like this we need to be worried about. Hope she gets well soon.

1. Good point.

2. Lol, I would think if the CIA was putting technology in a person’s head…it would be far more sophisticated than a simple radio. :-P

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:39am

I dunno but I bet if you pull the aerial up from behind her ears we can all have a listen.

2. Yeah, in these modern days they would be putting iPods.

10. I cannot understand how some people think. Ms Burns said that NUDITY IS BAD FOR CHILDREN. I suggest that parents should pull their kid’s eyes out because not only paintings show nudity but also street advertising, television etc. Etc. Are we in 2011 AD or 2011 BC?

11. What an ignorant pig.

12. I’m sorry – Why are we allied to that crackpot nation – A Country whose official motto is still – “In Dog – oops, God, we trust!!

1. J. Spears 5 Apr 2011, 6:03pm

Maybe it’s because your military is incapable. Why don’t you just go and ally with Allah, since you really feel that way.

1. What an excellent comment J. Spears…. only a complete moron like you would assume allah was the opposite binary choice to “god”.

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:40am

J. Spears

Oh dear!

3. Interesting …

Our capability military wise – whilst numerically inferior to USA is in terms of ability – regarded as one of the best worldwide

Friendly fire – thats a phrase the US military is more aware of that the UK

4. Haha! Priceless. Are you going to tell us again how you single-handedly won the war? Or how having more toys makes you better than everyone else in the playground? Or how calling yourself “leader of the free world” is anything but laughably ironic?

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 11:59am

LOL… Of course!!

2. Dandelion 5 Apr 2011, 6:21pm

Yes, because being allied to a country that has gay marriage and civil unions recognized in a much larger area is bad. Get back to me when your unions are recognized anywhere but that economically screwed island. Nevermind Britain lacks an official anthem and has a FRENCH motto. Ours used to be Latin, but we changed it so people wouldn’t be as stupefied.

1. de Villiers 5 Apr 2011, 7:22pm

There is nothing wrong with having a French motto. It demonstrates history and culture.

There is also nothing wrong in noting that nearly a third of words in the English language are derived from French or French-Latin.

2. Economically screwed?? Have you checked out just how big the *US* debt is?

1. Dandelion, you don’t need Latin to stupify the American population. They do quite a good job of it in English, thank you. This week’s object lesson – two words, Terry Jones.

3. “Get back to me when your unions are recognized anywhere but that economically screwed island.”

Trust me, it was the unions that screwed this country back in the 70’s and it took Maggie to get rid of them to get this country back on it’s feet again.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 10:24am

Unfortunately too true.

1. Largely agree with you

However, closing mines with millions of pounds of equipment left underground to rot and tens of millions of tonnes of coal easy to mine was not exactly economically justified or helpful in retaining energy security.

Whilst the unions acted appallingly in the 1970s – it seems to me that the lack of economic justification for the closure of the mines meant this was an act of revenge by Thatcher

2. Stu – It was justified. They were costing more than they produced; they had to go.

3. @Sven

I would agree that some were uneconomic but not all

But even if they were, I can tell you of one mine where £5m of brand new cutting equipment was installed 4 months prior to closure and instead of recouping some of the money by selling off the equipment – British Coal were instructed by the then Dept of Energy to scrap it and leave it underground. Regardless of the viability of the mines, and the social impact – that decision is scandalous

4. yea and that comes from citizen of a country that had george w bush as their president

5. Actually Britain doesn’t have a motto. The British monarchy does. Just for those who obviously have so little knowledge of things British.

6. Actually Britain doesn’t have a motto. The British Monarchy does, which is a different thing. Just pointing this out to those who feel so able to comment on something they know so obviously little about.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 3:34pm

Sorry but I think the British motto is “Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!”

1. Of what? The USA? Hardly!!…

2. Jock S. Trap 8 Apr 2011, 10:00am

No, of the UK!

13. I think it’s our friend LU (see other threads) – same singleminded and illogical stridency (and general bonkersness).

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:41am

LOL… Good comment!

2. * Like *

14. johnny33308 5 Apr 2011, 7:20pm

Perhaps this is an example of what hatred can do to a person’s mental state. Or it may be an example of some form of ‘religious’ hatred and again offers proof of how hatred can affect a person’s mental health adversely.

1. I suspect we will never get to know the answer – and rightly so as this woman clearly should be regarded as a patient and have her confidentiality respected …

But regardless of what caused her to behave in this way, it appears that either she is mentally ill or wants it to appear that she is …

The reasons of the mental illness may be linked to hatred of any sort – religious or otherwise – hatred can serously affect mental health

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:43am

johnny…

Yes, religion and religious Nutjobs should come with a Health Warning.

15. Mirrorball 5 Apr 2011, 7:36pm

Nowhere in this article does it mention that this woman is religious.

It’s plain from the things that she said that she is just mad.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:43am

It really doesn’t take too much to see her attitude is a religious one. Don’t be naive.

1. It could be

There are plenty people with mental illness (and not) who are bigoted towards LGBT people and have no religion

Its naive to not accept this

16. That woman is crazy. Everyone knows that us American CIA operatives keep our radios under our thumbnails. Although, it sounds like she has lots of room for her radio. Also, me thinks she protests too much!

17. Thats excelent news, well done that lady.
    Now if we can do this to all homosexuals then that will be great.

1. Do what, tell them you have radios in your head? Yeah, master-stroke of genius there, that’ll teach us good….

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:45am

Will

I think Azi meant more of us telling his lot they are ‘a whole bunch of crazy’!

Happy to…

2. Azi

Why would you want to be on a gay news website if you hold the views you have?

Surely, in your mind, (with the hidden radios?) you are made dirty by being here?

3. Yes Azi, trying to damage a painting – and one that’s protected by plexiglass – is such a good example to follow, isn’t it?

4. @Azi

You sound disturbed!!!

Why do you want to attack homosexuals?

1. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 3:45pm

I think it’s because his religious texts tell him he can.

What would happen if he put the book down and made up his own mind.

His head would probably explode from too much “computer says no” syndrome.

18. Holy mother of God, that sounds hilarious. I wish I could have seen it. :-p

But yeah, crazy bitch needs to be put in a padded cell. Religion has enough morons making it look bad without people who are clearly mentally damaged screwing them further.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:46am

I’m up for more crazy religious Nutjobs.

It’s a good advert to why people should stay away from Religion.

2. I just hope one day you see friends or family lose their faculties so you will be able to have a good laugh at them in their padded cells.
      You have all the morals of a dog turd.

So much for all this tolerance by minorities on others. Fcuking hypocrites, the lot of you.

1. Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realise it was suddenly a crime to comment on the sanity level of a person who is clearly insane. I must have missed that memo.

Spare me your hyper-sensitive bull, you PC Thug. I call them as I see them. If my friends or family went insane then I’d call them insane, then put them in a padded cell so that a Doctor could fix them. ‘Tolerating’ someone who is clearly insane will do nothing but hurt both them and you in the long run.

1. Fine, so we should we tolerate N|ggers, P@ki’s and p00fs?

Mental illness can happen to anyone at any time, and they can’t all be cured. If you can watch a close relative or partner’s brain turn to blancmange and not be moved, you really should go jump under a bus.

1. David Myers 6 Apr 2011, 10:55pm

Spanner, I have often been offended by your blithe comments and put downs, but in this case, I’m with you all the way. I worked in the mental illness industry for over twenty years and I can say that mental illness is a tragedy that victimizes the families of these ill persons (as well as the persons themselves) profoundly and is to be wished on no one. I’m sure religious prejudice has contributed to mental illness in many cases but that does not ligitimize hatred and bigotry directed at the mentally ill. Good on you for pointing this out.

2. David Myers 6 Apr 2011, 10:59pm

Nathan, I don’t see that spanner is asking you to “tolerate” mentally ill persons. He and I are asking you and others to have some perspective and not spew hatred and ridicule against mentally ill persons.

1. I have no hatred for mentally ill people. What exacly is it you would wish for? For people who are a danger to themselves and others like this woman clearly is to be allowed to wander the street? people suffering from mental illnesses need to be in a place where they can receive treatment. If you saw someone dying of physical illness, you’d insist they went to the Hospital (i’d hope). It’s no different for mentally ill people.

You may think yourself merciful in your so-called ‘tolerance’, but you’re not. You’re just causing more suffering.

3. Well firstly, calling a mentally ill person “insane” is like calling a physically handicapped person a “cripple” or a “spastic”.

They are ignorant and crude terms. A mental illness can affect someone just like a physical one like cancer, heart disease or AIDS. It’s just not something you can see, but I have personally witnessed a number of people either lose their faculties to things like Alzheimer’s disease, or their personalities completely change with Bipolar Syndrome and schizophrenia.

It just demonstrates how ignorant people are of mental illness if they still think we run Victorian asylums and throw people in padded cells.

1. Oh spare me. If you’re so weak of the mind that you can be offended by a choice of word then please just piss off. I really hate it when people as easily offended as you try to have any form of debate. Grow a pair.

2. Jock S. Trap 8 Apr 2011, 10:02am

Nathan

I think you mean ‘ballsacks’ but James! can put it better than me.

;)

3. @Spanner

I am not personally offended by the label “insane” or any of those that you have used previously which I thought were inappropriate – partly because few of them related to me, partly because I have broad shoulders.

I do recognise that others don’t and the belittling of those with mental illness is weak, insensitive and damaging and those who fail to recognise this are as damaging as many bigots to those individuals who are unwell (who they say should be supported in their illness).

What I find annoying in debate, is those that won’t debate when their content (in terms of facts or style) is challenged and resort to offense and project abuse onto others, rather than engage in debate – really demonstrates an enquiring and open mind …

4. Nathan: “Oh spare me. If you’re so weak of the mind that you can be offended by a choice of word then please just piss off. ”

Just bear that in mind when the next article on here refers to calling somebody a “poof”, “queer” or “turd-burglar”.

I’m sure fat faggots like you can ignore it.

19. Should be sent to be with Jesus early!

20. BoobguyOYA 6 Apr 2011, 5:20am

awww yeah, boobs.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:47am

Your not that sacked Polish minister are you?

21. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 7:31am

“Very Homosexual”?

My Gaga how much more uneducated can you get. The woman is an idiot and a danger to herself and others.

I’m all for people seeing what they want in paintings, thats the idea but to try and them cause such destruction and also denying others to see it despicable.

Mentally Ill? Well religion is involved.

22. Obviously looking at petals

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 11:41am

Yes flower.

23. the fact that painting was covered with plexi show that this kind of situation was a real possibility, only in usa, the mecca of plastic churches

1. Nonsense, the situation is possible anywhere – Velazquez’s Rokeby Venus in the National Gallery in 1914 (though that was by a suffragette, not a nutter – though arguably a pretty unbalanced one), and paintings have been attacked there and at the NPG much more recently too.

24. I reckon Gauguin would have been delighted by this reaction over 100 years later

1. He certainly would, it would give him inspiration for another painting: “Crazy Woman Attacking Painting”

25. As the good books tell us the poor and nutters are with us always.

26. I wish poor woman peace ob mind and a lacy wonder-bra for Christmas. Lady…Jesus loves you. Deal with it.

27. She’s not just mad – she doesn’t know what she’s looking at. This picture is about as ‘homosexual’ as the plate one of the women is holding. It’s a voyeuristic image of ‘exotic South Sea beauties’ for Gaugin and any other horny straight male onlooker to gawp at. It’s still a good picture (they mostly are) but I find his paintings of Polynesian women generally objectifying. His religious pictures are more to my taste – and I’m not a believer and neither was he. But myth and symbol fascinated him and he was prepared to be quite abstract and stylized with those subjects.

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Apr 2011, 10:38am

Yet it always amazes me that people who scream blue murder at everything they think is sexual then claim they have the purest religious minds of all.

2. Not a great fan of Impressionism and most modern art either, but I like the colors of Gauguin’s paintings.

28. Gauguin was such a commercial hack that his ghost probably paid this woman to make a scene. : )

But, I love ‘not expected in the National Gallery’ — there’s some very strong Expressionist paintings in the National Gallery which ought to turn a few people into head-bangers every week.

29. “I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.”

Priceless. Makes you wonder why these people are not on television or making stand-up shows. I just didn’t know there was another kind of CIA besides the American one, but anyway, it’s her comedy act.