Study finds poorer health among older gays, lesbians and bisexuals

1. Jock S. Trap 5 Apr 2011, 2:06pm

Plus the fact that religion tents to cast most LGBT people aside.

1. Jock S. Trap 5 Apr 2011, 2:07pm

Correction

Tends no tents.

I’m not sure where my mind was but I apologise in case I was… oh cookie…

2. Oh the great Jock of the Strap, the font of all gay wisdom, is the first to speak yet again, blaming everyone and everything but his own back yard. That’s right, religion to blame yet again, according to Jock’s religion-hating mindset that borders on the pathological mindset. May I suggest that it is we as a community – no one else – who consign people of a certain age to the scrapheap with our worship and adoration of the cult of youth and our self-obsessed materialism? That’s right. This story comes as no surprise because we don’t give a toss for anything other than our own gratification. Who cares about that creepy, leery old git who probably caught HIV in the ’80s and lives on his own when I have a brand spanking new 42 inch plasma screen about to be delivered? These folk are very real and are literally dying from their social isolation, shunned from the mainstream because they pose a threat to the vain mass of gaydom that doesn’t like to be reminded of what lies around the corner.

1. @William

Not sure I would quite word it like you do

But I fail to see the relevance of religion to this topic

Connecting religion to this topic is either going to be half baked or have as much rationality as the woman who attacked the Gaugin painting thats reported on here today

2. “This story comes as no surprise because we don’t give a toss for anything other than our own gratification”

Do you have anything better to offer then silly rhetorical nonsense? Any proof of these silly statements, even one study?

What a surprise.

And from what I see, Jock’s religious views are nothing to do with your angry frothing-at-the mouth attacks at he world. In fact you seem to blame everything, and I mean everything, on “political correctness”, as if that is something tangible and responsible, speaks volumes for your own mental instability.

Get help, seriously, you have acute anger issues.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 8:16am

Will

Cheers Gov!

;)

2. Actually, Will, if political correctness hadn’t been allowed to run amok in all government-dictated institutions, we wouldn’t now be sending our old folk to hospital to die. I presume you’ve read the press reports and seen the horrifying Dispatches documentary on how old folk are literally being ignored on hospital wards and dying of thirst because their drinking water is being placed out of reach? Not to mention the bed sores that are causing excruciating pain because nurses are neglecting their Hippocratic oath and duty to patient care? Oh no, silly me, you are too busy policing PN 24/7 to shout down any one who threatens your deceitful and deadly allegiance to the cult of PC. You demand scientific studies to back up evidence that is intuitive and self-explanatory because that is your only lame defence of this appalling Marxist creed. I suggest you do your own research on this sinister doctrine you worship and promote ad nauseum:

1. Ohh my god Will, get of your own dick for a moment please…

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 10:54am

Oh Gaga William your getting more and more ridiclous with each rant.

“too busy policing PN 24/7 to shout down any one who threatens your deceitful and deadly allegiance to the cult of PC”

What the blazes are you on about man? Such a stupid comment.

Unlike you, Will adds to debate. He brings many things into the arena. Things many agree with some may not agree with but his opinions like most others are valuable while you bring what exactly? Nothing but personal rantings.

3. “Actually, Will, if political correctness hadn’t been allowed to run amok in all government-dictated institutions, we wouldn’t now be sending our old folk to hospital to die”

I beg your pardon? Are you in receipt of help for a mental health issue or something?

“busy policing PN 24/7 to shout down any one who threatens your deceitful and deadly allegiance to the cult of PC.”

LOL! I assure you, my “nutty friend, I have a lot more influence and education then a backwater basket case like you could even contemplate. And for you to compare science to a “Marxist creed” only goes to show what a complete buffoon you are. You are incapable of producing an argument, incapable of any proof or understand of what you are ranting about proof, and seem to have the IQ of a banana. Essentially, you are an embarrassment to humanity, let alone to gay people. Grow up.

4. William, you nee to take a chill pill mate that was the biggest load of paranoid dribble yet. Less time in here, more time with your doctor.

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 8:15am

Wow, William… Way to rant and not actually say anything.

Just because you may be a selfish ranter doesn’t make all of us the same. Most people look out for the elderly around us. Religious people just assume it is only them. As if being religious somehow be the only way we can help others. I also know for a fact that some in religion refuse to help Gay people unless it’s to cure them..

So yes, I do feel religion plays a big part in this, esp when it comes to deserting other. They seem to want to cherry-pick who they want to be helpful to. Unlike most non-religious people who won’t.

1. Its “political correctness” again. Its responsible for bank crisis, global warming, and I suspect it also stole my croissant and added extra sugar to my coffee this morning.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 10:57am

Er, no that was me for eating the last Hobnob and not replacing…

Oh but hang on that might have been “political correctness”, Sh!t sorry.

2. Jock, you should get a load of the muppet below that post in William’s defence…. remarkably similar to a previous post made by the erudite William with regards to the two of us. Another fool that can’t argue under one name, but need s a few “persona” to get his point across? Perhaps. Relevant points? Perhaps not.

3. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 1:24pm

Will

I know, whats that about? If they’re gonna change their name just to get someone to agree with them? If they’re got to constantly change names to win arguments, it’s a bit self-defeating surely.

William ever thought of the nickname Mr Bean? I think of you, I think of Mr Bean and his birthday card… Don’t know why.

Although I do have to pick on one thing you said Will, you’ve yet again underestimated the IQ of the banana in this case

4. The real give away is this William (and what ever alter ego he comes up with) can’t hide his disdain for our superior intellect in any of his posts and under any name. Which makes me laugh a lot…. I love it when stupid people get upset by having circles ran around them by smarter people. :)

2. Helen Wilson 5 Apr 2011, 2:32pm

So they make a comparison of people the state allows to form family units (heterosexuals) with those they refuse those right and wonder why they see a difference in comparison.

Maybe if LGB people was allowed to establish legal long term relationships recognised by the state (ie marriage) they might just settle down and have families living sedate life’s. Add onto that not being abused by the god bothering bigots every minuet, they might compare favourably with hetro counterparts.

1. That makes a lot of sense in terms of mental and emotional well being which does impact on physical well being

I do think that is only part of the answer, but a sizeable part of it

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 8:21am

Helen

I think the thing that screams loudest in this report is the very thing that is missing.

They talk about Homosexuals and Heterosexual as equal in this report, for a report where for we all know we have been treated far from equal over the years.

And that WIlliam and Stu is all because of Religion. Weither you like it or not, it’s a Fact.

1. @Jock S Trap

I understand your opinion on this Jock. I respect it. I do think its wrong and lacking insight.

Religion is not to blame for everything – I understand you have good reason to have passionately negative feelings towards religion – It is about as sustainable a position as to say the Communists are to blame for everything or the weather is to blame for everything or Boris is to blame for everything – whilst you passionately believe it, that does not mean it stands the test of examination.

3. I’m not surprised. Most older gay people grew up in societies where being gay simply meant you didn’t get married, you didn’t have long term relationships, and it was something you kept firmly hidden. It’s a shame, but thankfully they’re hopefully the last generation (In the Western world at least) where this was the case.

1. Very good points. Fear and concealment generate a lot of stress.

2. Well said James.

3. Well said James its gone full circle. Homophobia originated in the West and hopefully it will end here.

4. Mirrorball 5 Apr 2011, 7:34pm

This is totally depressing, especially coming from somewhere as wealthy AND gay-friendly as California.

I wonder if gay life is only good while I’m still young.

5. Not just heath look at any gay publication in the Uk or venue none really cater for older LGBT folk.

Gav

1. Not only that hit 50 and you become invsible or ignored by most gay people

1. Unfortunately there is some truth in that

That requires a culture change within LGBT people – it may be a sign of (and I count myself in this criticism) self indulgence by many LGBT people making us blinkered to wider needs both within and outside our own communities

6. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 8:11am

I have to say that there is part of this report that I find unfair. The part about not having children, I guess to look after us in our old age.

It’s unfair because it is only recently that Gay couples were considered good enough to be parents, though still with must resistance.

I think as time goes by more and more LGBT couples may well have children to bring up in the world. However to dump that one on this report when it has always been seen as a negative esp by religious circles is a tad naive.

Prehaps it adds more weight to why LGBT couple should be able to have and adopt children.

7. It’s no surprise considering how badly treated the current older generation of LGB were treated by society. Perhaps things will be different for further generations?

8. To that hilarious duo of decrepit old women known as the Jock ‘n’ Will Show (well, this is a story on gay pensioners, right?), cry your hearts out at this ACADEMIC assessment of PC. William is spot on -

1. What a fascinating article. Says nothing of substance of course, or even relates to William’s rabid rants and blaming the world of “PC-ness”, but fascinating none the less.

Next time, try post something that challenges me intellectually, rather then making a fool out of yourself with an argumentum ad hominem that only serves to prove people like you need better schooling,.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 1:33pm

Will

I dunno, the fact William/Rob/Mr Bean/Whatevernamesnext whats to compare us in The Jock ‘n’ Will Show suggest that we must be entertaining, therefore something to contribute, something worthy of listening to.

Which sadly shows him up because he ain’t none of those. The fact he equats us to a Show at all says a lot about his own intellegence.

Next!

1. Yeah, and William (i.e. Rob) used the same expression in another thread to describe us when he got upset no one shared his paranoid delusions on how political correctness is going to kill us all and starve the children and make gods get married and other such crap.

Stupid moron didn’t even have the intelligence to change the insult.

1. Jock S. Trap 6 Apr 2011, 1:57pm

Are well Will, thats easy, allow me to explain.

See We have Brains whereas God gave them only the ability to Copy and Paste. If they can’t copy, they malfunction.

2. William: Well, if anything good can come of the Government’s imminent clampdown on able-bodied HIV-positive people claiming disability benefit, fingers crossed it won’t be long till Jock Strap’s presence is significantly watered down on these boards as he is forced to get a full-time job. Ain’t that right, Rob?

Rob: William, I totally agree oh wise one. You are the bastion of truth and light, no matter how Jock has set himself up as The Enlightened One on these boards. How could I ever doubt such a magnificent intellect? Now, if you don’t mind William, it’s back to the Punch & Judy – sorry, Jock & Will – Show…

1. Yawn. Ever think of changing the record in lieu of an argument based in anything other then playground insults and changing your name to spread your paranoid nonsense?

2. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 8:16am

Oh way to spread paranoid assumptions, William.

Interesting that when your on here it’s never to respond to debate it’s to mock and insult. Whats up debating to intelligent a concept for ya.

I said before I hope you never have to go through what I am at the moment to know why this place helps but actually your the first I’ve ever wished this on so you can eat those words. Somehow though I have a feeling you wouldn’t cope. All mouth and no substance.

3. Jock S. Trap 7 Apr 2011, 8:19am

Had to laugh at one thing though, who the hell said I was on benefits? Always paid my own way ta.

You damn pathetic, William.

4. LOL!!! Nice one Willy!!!

2. Why does Robs comment look and sound very like Williams?

1. Because he probably is, its fairly common on this site with extremist views like his. And bloody well annoying.

Rob/William should read “The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science”, by Tom Bethell, which I’m sure this Rob/William personality would completely agree with. Its a comprehensive presentation argument that mainstream science is dominated by politically correct thinking.

However, Bethell rejects evolution and global warming, and supports AIDS denial.

Go figure. So, give up political correctness and take up bog standard stupidity. I’m sure William/Rob have loads in common with Bethell.

9. That’s a very touching article and interesting analysis from commentators. Does anyone know of a service in London that supports elderly lgbt people? I wouldn’t mind offering some time on a voluntary basis.