Study claims English villages want to stay ‘heterosexual and white’

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 10:58am

Typical and unexpected of religious village, but as they say in Russia “Tuffsh!tSki”

Too many closed minds that forget or plain don’t want to know that there are many LGBT in those villages. Backward that needs sorting. A diverse society is far better and as I’ve said before the day religion is only ever read in the history books the better life will be.

Too many religious people are too discriminating and they shoul dhave an extremely heavy fall.

1. The Tories are coming:

1. @Beberts

The religious extremists are having a blog.

Not sure it is definitively a Tory view however – nor for that matter a rural concept (the subject of this thread).

Many others with faith (and none), who are Tory (or not), who live in the country (and not) hold similar views. The views are repugnant no matter where they come from.

2. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 1:49pm

As use Bebs nothing constructive to add.

2. Well, my gay partner and I live in isolated English countryside and of the attributes listed I can agree that life in our area is:

white,
    family-orientated,
    conservative,
    and conformist.

HOWEVER,

in our isolated rural part of England

life is most certainly

NOT entirely church-going,
    NOT entirely heterosexual,
    NOT generally middle-class,
    and NOT entirely ‘safe’

We have many atheist and humanist heterosexual friends in this area.

There are a considerable number gay couples, lesbian couples, and gay and lesbian singles in this area.

The people in our area are a 50/50 mixture of working-class and middle-class. Thankfully we have no toffs round here.

So, it should be very clearly seen from the above that this large area of rural England is not entirely “safe” – whatever “safe” is supposed to mean. (If “safe” means “having low crime”, then it should be noted that due to the current recession crime has risen in this isolated rural area. Some people are desperate.)

1. @Sean

I totally endorse your comments from my experience when I lived in the dales. It was predominantly white, family-oreintated, conservative and relatively conformist. There was a lively church in the community but by no means did the majority of the population attend (even occasionally). Although there weren’t many gay people – I certainly wasn’t the only gay in the village. There were a few toff’s but is was predominantly middle or working class. At the time the level of crime was low (with a very good Farm watch!) but I suspect economics may mean that crime has increased.

There were a few Asians although I can’t remember seeing any resident black people at any point.

Yes, there were some bigots but the majority of people were friendly and supportive (often in quiet ways – and sometimes supportive in the most surprising ways).

The contention that rural Britain is monocultural and is fighting a battle to remain that way is not a picture I recognise.

1. @Stu
        Ive had pretty much the same experience growing up in North Yorkshire. Yes, mostly white but certainly not 100% and i certainly wasnt the only gay in the village. When i take my partner home the village loves him! This is a pretty bad piece of research!

3. I appreciate this isn’t research but when all the hype was happening about the Midsomer Murders producers comments, there was a very interesting article on Ch4 News and a similar one on 5Live which went to some of the villages and market towns that are frequently used for filming and found that those who were non-white were very happy there and few had experiences of racism. My experience when I lived rurally was that I was embraced by many in the community as a gay man – and it genuinely did not make any difference.

Would be interesting to read the report and see on what basis they reach the conclusions they have.

@Jock S Trap

Three things:
    1) I wholeheartedly agree a diverse society is often more beneficial than a one which fails to engage or embrace diversity – that is not to devalue the small villages that are totally white, that doesn’t mean they are bigoted – it is just a fact of life in the diversity in this country currently

4. Many people are closed-minded until they actually get to know people from the groups they say they don’t want living in their areas.
    I live in a Welsh rural village which has a lot of lesbians living in the area who over a long period of years have taken part in local activites etc. – I’m not aware of any direct prejudice. It is a largely white village though, and I suspect that non white people would also have to work at being accepted.

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 11:41am

Good point rubyfruit.

2. @Rubyfruit

I suspect you might well be right … but I have seen non white people enter a rural community and be immediately embraced but most without any resentment, suspicion or concern.

I actually think this report is patronising of many in the rural communities. It seems to be saying that because they are not urban or suburban that the values and approach of those living there is likely to be less sophisticated and more likely to be bigoted.

1. And, Stu, I suspect you’ll agree with me that there are white heterosexuals who have moved into our isolated rural areas and who have rubbed everybody up the wrong way and have made themselves into pariahs.

The people who drew up this research may well have created research to back up suppositions.

All the “outcasts” in our area, not that there are many of them, are heterosexual, white, arrogant city-types (often with a background in financial institutions) who look down on those who have lived the gentle country lifestyle for years and who are not part of the city rat-race.

1. @Sean

I certainly agree that there has been a destabilisation of certain rural areas by the influx of urbanites wishing to have second homes in the country – the lack of constant residents in some areas further impacts of the ability to provide services to the rural community.

There are certainly some who have moved into rural areas from cities (and some of the areas targetted in this survey attract a great deal of influx from London etc) who have not integrated well into the rural community and have, in some cases, made themselves pariahs.

Its difficult with qualitative research like this to reach certain conclusions. Equally, if you particularly approach people asking to talk about racism – you will definitively attract those who have been victims of racism – and less so those who have integrated well.

5. 2) I don’t understand your comment “Typical and Unexpected” – surely if it is typical, it is expected … Not sure what you mean.
    3) A representative society would include white, black, Asian, others, male, female, heterosexual, gay, bisexual, transgendered, disabled, able bodied, old, young, middle aged AND those of a variety of faiths and none.

1. Staircase2 30 Mar 2011, 3:09pm

re your ‘representative society’ list – what makes a particular group makeup ‘representative’ depends on the numbers of the people in the said group to start with.

Living in a large city its very easy to forget the relatively small percentages of people who’s families have only lived here for (often) 2-3 generations at most.

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom) (based on 2001 Census Data) ‘white’ people make up 92.1% of the population with ‘black’ people making up collectively only 2% – Asian people (as in Indian, Pakistani & Bangladeshi making up 4%, Chinese 0.4% and ‘other’ 0.4%. Mixed race people make up 1.2%.

Given these figures that means that in a village of 100 people only 4 people would be ‘black’, 92 would be ‘white’ etc etc.

There are many reasons why different people settle in different areas and race/ethnicity is only one of those

1. @Staircase2

My comments about a representative society were in reply to comments about a diverse society being better. I do think a diverse society is better because it often generates situations for building of links that are cross-cultural etc and breaks down perceived barriers and encourages tolerance and acceptance. I do not think we should engineer a diverse or representative society. Societies that develop organically (in my mind) are the most natural and create a sense of belonging.
        I don’t live in a big city and never have permanently – although my ex boyfriend did live in South London. I have lived in very rural areas which informs some of my thinking.
        Absolutely there are many reasons why different people settle in different areas. Race may be a factor, but I would argue most decisions are economic, family related etc. I certainly wouldnt want to engineer and create a representative or diverse society – lets allow people to naturally find one.

1. Absolute cobblers.
          Just because somewhere is “multicultural” does not mean the cultures interact.
          Areas become ghettoised and any other culture trying to mix is forced out due to language, cultural and religious reasons.
          Where I live there is less than 5% indigenous Brits, and it is I that feel like the foreigner in my own country.

1. @Spanner

I didnt say that because somewhere was multicultural it meant the cultures interacted. I said, often generates situations for building links – whether people take those opportunities is their decision, but it does provide them. Equally, there are places of where cultures are polarized (can’t think of any rural examples based on race however)

2. “In the context of this thread can you name any religious or race or cultural ghettos in rural Britain???”

Yes, precisely this: the little Middle England villages ARE the ghettos.
      They are white, Christian, Heterosexual ghettos, and are no different to Asians in Brick Lane, Jews in Golders Green or Blacks in Brixton.

1. Clearly you believe the validity of this report.

I don’t.

My experience of rural England is clearly very different to yours. I did live there for a while and work in the emergency services there for a decade – so experientially I have seen the good and the bad rurally and while not as visibily diverse as Lambeth or Newham – rural Britain is alive and kicking and in many cases celebrates it accepting nature without preaching it or screaming about it – it just gets along and does it. When there is antipathy or bigotry or ignorance it is challenged and often this is effective -sounds like what many in urban Britain desire ….

1. Whether you agree to it or not, humans are tribal, they like to be with their own kind, be that a race, a culture, a language or a social class.

The term “multicultural” is bandied around when in fact it is nothing of the kind. It is highly unlikely to find a street with multiple ethnicities or races, simply because people are gregarious and like to be around others they know and trust. I have even seen gay ghettos where entire blocks are predominantly gay.

Britain is a monoculture that just happens to be supportive of others.

1. Spanner

They are your views and I have no doubt some sociological reports validate them.

Equally I can provide you with some that refute them – if need be.

My experience is far removed from what you contend of a description of Britain being a monoculture. My best friend at Uni (and still a good friend) is black. Probably 20% of my friends are from different ethnic backgrounds. When I get a variety of friends together – we dont just support each other we like, know and trust each other.

I believe that predominantly the UK is an accepting, embracing, tolerant and caring nation that seeks to know and trust people regardless of difference. Of course, there are some who are sceptical and there some who are adament (often – if not always) due to bigotry that the UK is not and never should be a place of multiculturalism, acceptance, tolerance or equality.

6. I can’t say this resembles anything like my experiences of living in a small village in rural Somerset. I’ve never encountered any kind of homophobia here in all the twenty years I’ve lived here.- there was far more in urban northwest Kent where I grew up, and even in liberal Oxford where I was at university.

7. They think it’s safe but the countryside is the place where the majority of gun crime takes place… (more people own guns (for hunting?) there than in the cities)…

1. @Zefrog

In England and Wales more than 50% of gun crime occurs in the following three police areas:
      Metropolitan Police
      West Midlands Police
      Greater Manchester Police

Hardly evidencing your claim that most gun crime happens in rural areas. There may be a little blip of distortion due to the tragedy in Cumbria last year but this is more than outweighed by urban gun crime.

There are more legally held firearms in rural areas, but significantly less gun crime.

2. Rubbish. There’s more gun crime in Brixton and Peckham than the rest of the entire country. Bear in mind, most people that legally possess firearms use them in the country, and are licensed to use them. The majority of gun crimes are in the cities with unlicensed hand guns and pistols.

Yet more PC leftie denialist claims to try and cover Labours gross incompetence.

1. @ Spanner

Whilst I emphatically agree that there is more gun crime in urban areas than rural areas – the statistics I have dont specify particular boroughs just police force areas (so I can’t comment on Peckham and Brixton in particular) and I also agree that most guns held in rural areas are held legally by licence holders – whereas most crimes involving firearms in urban areas involve illegal weapons.

I would make two comments:
        There are occsaional uses of licenced firearms in crime – the Cumbria shootings for example.
        I fail so see how this inaccurate portrayal of gun crime gives any defence or credence to any political action of any party. Sounds more like you’re spouting political rhetoric – you raised politics.

1. I raised the politics because being a former licensed shotgun owner, I was forced to hand in my licence because of Blair’s knee-jerk reaction over the Dunblane killings.

Legal, conscientious gun owners were clamped down upon, whilst the majority of gun crime continues to rise by unlicensed thugs.

I just find Zefrog’s attack on country people because they use guns more than city folk ignorant, biased and completely wrong.

1. @Spanner

I totally agree that Zefrogs comments about rural gun owners is ignorant and wrong. The evidence just does not support his contention.

I agree that the majority of gun crime is using unlicensed illegal firearms. I agree we need to tackle this area if we are to get any sort of grip on the illegal use of firearms.

Will regards the firearms legislation post Dunblane, did you disagree with the Cullen report? Did you support the first Firearms Amendment Act, or were you also against those amendments?

2. The Cullen report was a trumped-up whitewash that simply attacked the middle and upper classes but did nothing to prevent gun crime. Much the same as the fox hunting bill, this was nothing to do with animal cruelty and everything to do with class war.

3. @Spanner

I thought as much. So your comment about the restriction of firearms being an issue that Blair is to blame for is not really fair.

The Firearms Amendment (No 2) Act 1997 was introduced by the Labour government following the Snowdrop petition.

The Firearms Amendment Act 1997 was introduced by a Conservative government in response to the Cullen report.

If you are going to criticize then you should be criticizing Tories and Labour on this policy.

I happen to agree with the policy – and so on the issue am happy to support both Labour and the Conservatives in the actions they took.

8. Fantastic piece of research, he studied 3 counties none of which were north of Coventry or South of London and made a sweeping generalisation! Brilliant! Im from a rural community and know this isnt true!
    However it is mostly white but certainly not mostly middle class. Its about 50/50 middle/working class.

Zefrog, I dont know where you got your facts but most gun crime does NOT take place in the countryside, it mostly takes place in the cities!

1. Gordon
      I agree, this research looks dodgy. What exactly was asked and of whom, just for starters?
      I have lived with partners in two similar ex-pit villages in County Durham which were totally white ethnically and almost entirely working-class. We went through hell in one and had no problems at all in the other (which was much smaller). I think small communities differ hugely, though I must say any non-white person would have probably suffered hugely in either of them.

1. @Riondo

Out of sheer noseyness (since Co Durham is where my parents live and where I used to work) which rough area were you referring to?

1. Im wondering this as well as im on the border of North Yorkshire and County Durham so spent a lot of time in Darlington and Newton Aycliffe

1. My comments relate to the Durham dales

2. Stu
          The really awful place was Haswell near Easington (we got verbal abuse and dogsh*t through the letterbox, but, amazingly, no violence), and the other was a tiny isolated old terrace of miners’ cottages called Alum Waters just outside New Brancepeth. Frankly if we had lived in the main village it probably would have been hell, too. I hope it’s better (Haswell was 30 yrs ago and Alum Waters 20+).

1. @Riondo

Interesting, went regularly to Haswell when I was working in the Durham area – I perceive it as a place where you could have very mixed experiences. I have been to incidents in Haswell involving a number of different gay people – most of whom were active in the community and had good support around them – equally, there is a tension there that is unsettling. I don’t really know Alum Waters, but it is a very pretty part of the world. I also would perceive it to be tolerant and accepting.

9. Helen Wilson 30 Mar 2011, 11:44am

A modern day Luddite movement seems to be developing in our countryside!

What do they want to go back too, serfdom to the squire and the odd visit of the witchfinder general to burn anybody who does not conform!

Maybe they should all be deported to Northern Ireland to allow the 21st century to progress.

1. @Helen

There may be some who hold this view but it appears both on grounds of others experience and due to flaws in the research the claims of this research can not be seen as accurate

1. Helen Wilson 30 Mar 2011, 12:26pm

From personal experience as a trans woman I find the villages and small towns around me on the Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire boarder a lot like the survey suggests. But they are now not filled up with rural folk, just rich arrogant commuters and their families who think they own the place and put down any suggestion of change. These are the sort of people who hound women vicars out of rural parishes.

2. @ Stu: from this article I get the impression the principal concern of the research was in relation to ethnicity.

According to that distinguished and highly-reputable barometer of rustic values, Emmerdale, gays (male) can be accepted with relative ease, but I don’t think there are ethnic minorities in that stage community.

1. Interestingly the study was authored by two criminologists.

Dr Garland (one of the authors) is quoted elsewhere as saying ‘We spoke to many white people who had no problem living alongside ethnic minorities, and even some minorities who enjoyed standing out as they did in their rural communities.”

I think it is correct to say they concentred on race issues. An interesting comment on some of the research can be found here:

I agree Emmerdale does (usually) handle LGBT issues well. There have been Asians in the show too. Not sure if there are any currently (as its not on my list of regular programmes to watch!). However, its not a reliable barometer for rural opinion – although it is interesting to see how fiction portrays issues.

1. However, its not a reliable barometer for rural opinion

Stu, I realise intonation isn’t evident in posts, but really it should have been perfectly obvious I was hardly being serious!

And no, there currently aren’t any Asians.

2. @Rahan

I did realise that you weren’t being serious about Emmerdale – I was responding tongue in cheek – sorry if that wasn’t obvious …

2. Come now, it’s hardly surprising that conventional people resist change!

1. TheSuburban Bi 30 Mar 2011, 12:40pm

lol — I was going to say the same thing. Wonder how much money they spent to find out the ‘obvious’.

But that said, Brian True May’s comments were ignorant and insulting. I am a black, bi woman in a Berkshire village (that has become more suburban than village-y and more brown, black, ethnically and otherwise diverse in 10 years since I’ve lived here) — and the concerns I have noticed have more to do with the ‘suburbanisation’ and traffic than with specific types of folks. Though maybe that’s all code for ‘you all’ need to get lost?! Dunno — but so far, on the surface, things are okay…. maybe we’re just not rural enough ;)

1. TheSuburban Bi 30 Mar 2011, 12:43pm

I should clarify I am addressing True-May’s comment — “We just don’t have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn’t be the English village with them. It just wouldn’t work.” Not saying there is no homophobia, biphobia or transphobia at all where I am. But just that the fact is we actually *are* out here in the sticks and saying you cannot portray ethnic minorities or sexual minorities on a show like Midsommer is stupid.

2. I agree, although I disagree that rural people are essentially conventional

1. Aren’t most people conventional?

2. I guess that depends how one defines conventional

3. based on or in accordance with what is generally done or believed [OED online]

I’m not trying to be argumentative, it just seems to me that conventions are conventions because the majority of people believe in them.

4. I guess if you follow the OED definition you could argue rural people are conventional or that they are not, because it would then depend on what you contend is generally done or believed (for example is it believed rural people are generally racist?).
            Another definition is “behaviour considered acceptable or polite” – again it depends on what the behaviour is.
            Sometimes, conventional is seen as a negative adjective and I certainly wouldn’t use that per se with the rural community, my experiences have been of enlightened (or easily enlightenable) people who embrace others – whoever they are. If it was suggested that this willingness to accept was showing the rural community are accepting I would agree.

5. *Correction*

If it was seen as a sign rural people are conventional due to their ability to accept – on the whole I would agree with it

6. @ Stu: I myself would avoid using terms like ‘the rural community’ as I find it hard to believe that millions of people spread across this island can be referred to accurately as a single entity.

7. @Rahan

You have a point, I don’t like the singularity of LGBT community and pluralise it – I should do the same for other groupings

3. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 2:24pm

Totally agree Helen.

10. I wonder how a roll-out of a nation-wide broadband connection would impact youth in these rural areas.

I only shook off my parents’ racism, homophobia, xenophobia (… yes, the list does go on) because of being able to interact with different people on the web in the last eight or so years since the Internet was introduced to us. Mind you, I do live in the capital and the rural areas here are still as rough as it gets.

An inclusive and open society is the way forward, not some fear-based bigotry, preserved for the sake of preservation.

1. A key issue for rural people (regardless of orientation, race, class etc) is access to services be that healthcare, post office, local shops, the pub, jobs, public transport, gas, etc etc

Ensuring quality high speed broadband in rural areas can (and has) been shown to have economic benefits for many in those areas and (if they choose to look in the right places) may improve perceptions of people from different backgrounds. Equally, given some of the diatribes on the internet from those of various political, philosophical, religious and other backgrounds (if they choose to look at other sites) it could be damaging.

2. What a ridiculous comment, rural england is not the himalyas., broadband internet is widely available , if not there is still dial up. Why you think this would somehow be an ephiphany, to the youth there regarding diversity tolerance is ludicrous . You may need the internet to educate and expand your views but people before the internet were capable of having inquiring minds(which is a natural human trait) and were not hindered by not having the internet .

1. @rapture

You would like to think there was broadband everywhere, not so …

Also dial up whilst giving access to the internet actually reduces the ability to handle certain size files as effectively as broadband – so it impedes certain businesses and makes them less efficient.

Here are a few articles that evidence the importance to broadband to rural communities and demonstrate that the comment is far from ridiculous

11. Lies bollocks and crapola.

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 3:46pm

Whose in that film?

1. Dunno, but they are bound to be Labour politicians.

12. Aww, poor them. Of course, what’ll happen is they’ll be told to STFU and develop with the rest of the world. What they want is irrelevant when it’s so ridiculous and hateful.

1. @Nathan

I would agree with you -if- the report was an accurate reflection of rural thinking and attitudes

13. This seems to be a trend at the moment to make bigoted, unfounded allegations about rural england. It also appears quite racist in some regard , as we live in a multicultural country , why should english white people not want to preserve their customs /culture etc(and why have it tainted with bigot allegations) as muslims , hindus, chinese do in Britain. I lived in rural norfolk with an ex a few years ago and had a great time, felt much more liberated than in london . Members of my extended family have also left london to escape racist abuse and now are enjoying village life. I would like to see some proper research into this topic from a reputable institution and also would like to see it extended to inner city ghettos, areas to provide insight into how hostile and insular they can be. Anyhow now we know where this “university” has wasted funding if this is the tosh they produce.

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 3:42pm

Thats actually a very fair comment.

1. Being english and having that sense of englishness is just as relevant as being from any other ethnic community in this country. So why is being english scorned so desperately ? and why are only the negative connotations of “englishness” detailed ? In this country with no backbone, the people are ashamed to even celebrate their national day , st.george.

1. This coming from an outsider, I *really* wouldn’t say you have problems with a nationalism deficit. Far from it. In fact, that seems to me to be a bit of a myth, created for the sheer purpose of guilt-tripping people.

Englishness, irishness, whatever – the above pattern/strategy seems to be the same.

2. @Rapture

Absolutely agree with you.

I was surprised at the lack of integrity of this piece of research because Leicester University criminology department certainly used to be highly regarded for fair and hard hitting reports. This one appears to lack substance and be open to wide ranging criticism.

14. Then they should stop producing us. Simple.

15. “remain heterosexual” how many LGBT people are on these villages openly or in the closet. For many the only hope is to move to the big cities!

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 4:07pm

I guess only a few LGBT people in a community make a difference amd hopefully things will get better.

1. Yes a few do matter

Where I used to live I was aware of 9 or 10 gay people, and regularly socialised with 4 of them … I remember a guy who moved to the area from Edinburgh who thought he might have to stay closeted as he had a preconception that he would face bigotry and intolerance in the dales – he was amazed the first night he went out for a pint to end up chatting to 3 other gays – made his night and he came out straight away when he saw how we were treated by the others

16. I live in South Gloucestershire and my Parish Council tries everything to block gay people in the community. They have friends in the local press to stop stories from being published (although it’s harder now with the internet). I once tried to stand in the council elections, but the press would not print anything.

They have friends in the Police and once had an un-announced visit telling me to stop working for gay rights and the Council/police were behind it (the copper told me).

When this Equality Duty is enacted, I’m going to kick some ass!

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 4:13pm

I think some of these Parishes think the Equality Laws don’t apply to them but they need to be shown this is wrong and we not only are here but can make a difference. They want our taxes and our votes but for what in return? Hatred, bigotry and discrimination?

I don’t think so!

2. Jock S. Trap 30 Mar 2011, 4:13pm

PS Good luck with the Ass Kicking!!

3. They told you to stop working for gay rights?!

It’s like reading something from Russia. How awful.

4. Very good luck with the ass kicking!

You could make a formal complaint of homophobia to the Independent Police Complaints Commission if you feel that is worthwhile (depends what you have in way of evidence I guess)

Parish councils are bizarre – some do great community work – but some are full of even more inflated egos with a sense of their own opinions being unchallengeable than Westminster

5. Asses are perfectly harmless creatures and do not deserve to be physically abused gratuitously. If however you want to metaphorically attack bums, please – specially since you live in Gloucestershire – spell it ‘arse’ (perfectly serviceable English word).

6. Hi Cleggy

Thanks for this information about South Gloucestershire.

Come and join us on “my” pinknews, our group called “Media Watch” may be able to help you kick some Ass.

We are already on the case with regards the media in Worcester, and their editorial policy which also appears to be blocking gay news stories.

1. Good luck on the work with MediaWatch, John

Do you cover the entire UK

1. We will cover anything, and no region is safe once we have our claws out; so to speak.

Lol

1. I will look for you on the web there is an area you should hear about

17. Dr Robin Guthrie 30 Mar 2011, 4:57pm

I live in a silly wee village called Wick in the Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales.

My lesbian land ladies and their Mother both presided at my Civil Partnership.

A bit of grief from some locals, but I put that to bed very quickly.

And I’m a big nasty hairy scarey Scotsman as is my husband.

Village idiots are quickly neutered when sense is thrown at them.

18. Good :)

1. No Spanner that made it all the more interesting to the media, but they have been researching their report for 10 years. (See my link above)

I don’t think this report is an accurate protrayal of rural Britain but its certainly not a kneejerk reaction to the Midsomer Murders affair

19. That these claims are being made due to research conducted in some Suffolk villages and towns does not surprise me.

No doubt there are some evolved people there…sadly there are also a lot who still refer to black people as c**ns in sentences that begin with “Now, I’m not racist, but…”.

You can imagine what’s said about LGBT people.

However, if they’d done this research in, say, Totnes in Devon (awesome place btw)…totally other end of the spectrum. I think it does depend on which part of which countryside you’re in.

1. well i personally know folk from devon who would disagree with you and would’nt totnes be considered rural england? And if you have lived in suffolk and such bigotry is present that does not mean just as much bigotry does not exist in our scum encrusted urban centres.

1. From what I can understand the study was not aiming to compare rural settlements with urban ones.

2. Yes, Totnes would be considered rural England, that’s why i mentioned it…I also mentioned it because, maybe unlike other areas of Devon, it is very chilled out and gay friendly. With this in mind, the sweeping generalisations that are being made from a survey that includes a comparitively tiny sample section of rural England need to be viewed as such. Like I said, it depends on which part of which countryside you’re in.

Also, I didn’t imlply that there wasn’t bigotry in cities, that aspect had nothing to do with my original comment.

2. I’m not a racist. I treat everyone with equal contempt. :)

1. Lol

Fair enough

20. Just another anecdote about gay village life –
    When living in the NE I knew a young gay guy living in a pit village with his parents. His family were OK and he didn’t get hassle out in the village but he would get ‘phone calls when he was alone in the house from local men who wouldn’t identify themselves offering to come round for sex. They were obviously watching the house and knew when he was alone. Hard to know whether it was a homophobic rag or desperate closeted local men trying to make contact.

21. I have to say that I tend to agree with the author. I lived for 10 years in a Fenland village in Cambridgeshire and couldn’t wait to leave! So rightwing in their thinking and my son was chucked out of his friends house because the parents found out he was gay – which was odd because their own son was gay as well – I got the impression that they thought their son could be “turned” if he just mixed with straights! AND when I attended a council meeting with my then husband, it was hinted that if I made myself “agreeable” to tjhe Councillor, our complaint about a prposed building going up at the end of our lane would be taken more seriously, unbelievable!

1. @Sian

I don’t dispute your experience and nothing can make it right

There is corrupt handling of issues in every community and there are bigots in every community – rural, suburban and urban.

Most (if not all) of the experiences relayed to the researchers will be correct in this report

That does not then mean that rural England is endemically racist or lacking acceptance of equality. Whilst, I accept there are many things that should be condemned and others that should be improved – I do not accept that this research evidences anything other than it managed to speak to some people in Suffolk and 2 other English counties that had some very bad experiences. That is all. It says nothing of Devon or Durham, nothing of Cumbria or Cornwall – it doesnt demonstrate how it sought out balance to check those who had good experiences.

I dont deny your experience – but mine is the opposite and I dont see this report proving your experience is more likely than mine.

22. Another reason to stay in civilisation.

1. Don’t come to southwark then.

1. Jock S. Trap 1 Apr 2011, 11:54am

No thats rough! ;)

1. Tell me bout it , its where i went to school. the epitomy of scum encrusted urban living . the squinting windows of middle england are heaven compared with this dump.

2. Is Tate modern not in Soutwark, in which case the redevelopment around bankside; could be seen as refinement on the edge of rough edges which stretch for miles. So to speak!!!

Lol

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Apr 2011, 8:00am

Culture, innit!

1. Probably, Lol

3. Come to Sunny Southwark.
        Twin-towned with Beruit.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Apr 2011, 6:46pm

Beruit? Wow! Think you might be overselling it.

1. Beirut is peaceful these days compared to Southwark at times lol

Maybe more Tripoli?

23. Even if it is wrong, I think how you dress and how many swear words you do/don’t fit into a sentence is how people judge you more often now a days.

24. We wanted to stay in caves and hunt wooly mamoths, but then we evolved.

1. I agree

That said I dont see any evidence that this report is representative of all the English countryside

1. Its a safe form of bigotry for the easily led by the phoney pc liberals, to attack englishness/country folk and stereotype. I grew up in an area of london considered a multicultural dream. However the bigotry/racism that existed between the various ethnic communities was if not overtly, covertly hardcore. Throw sexism and violent homophobia into the mix. People where i lived ,were just as insular and ignorant , territorial, suspicious of new faces/outsiders as what this report is trying to allege of village life. The gullible (maybe they are so awestruck at the big buildings and hype, they are not perceptive to reality )eat up reports like this ,because as i said its easy for them to critique country life and there is the stereotype that city living must somehow be compatible with liberal values/bohemia which is very untrue.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Apr 2011, 6:48pm

“multicultural dream”

Wow there’s a thing. Maybe more a mightmare for some.

1. some talk of multiculturalism as if it is cohesion of nation rather than many seperate nations existing together. multiculturalism has failed as a policy, not because of the different communities, but for the lack of integration.

2. You are making the assumption that evolution a) has a goal, and b) is naturally an uphill improvement.

Evolution is blind. Things can just as easily get worse as they can get better.

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Apr 2011, 6:55pm

Fair point.

25. James Campbell 16 Apr 2013, 6:47pm

I am not impressed with the way in which this ‘research’ has gathered information. However, it is interesting that the article starts off referring to “white, heterosexual and church-going” and eventually devotes most of its attention to racism and ethnic minorities. Without doubt, racism is evil, but there is a tendency (especially in England) to define racism as the very worst prejudice of all. Homo/trans phobia less so. This may be based on the idea that whilst one’s race and skin colour is a non-choice, as we all know, gay and trans people choose to be so as part of their lifestyle ….. (sarcasm).