Northern Ireland school is first to form gay-straight alliance

1. Dan Filson 28 Mar 2011, 9:51am

Northern Ireland has moved on a lot, and now showing a lead for the rest of the UK.

2. Chutneybear 28 Mar 2011, 9:55am

lol@Northern Ireland moving on, they took the gun out of politics, all they have to do is remove the bible. NI is fine I think, Union St (where I have been plenty of times) is open and the bars are fine but the politicans are still far behind Cameron and Ireland’s Enda Kenny. Iris the Virus need I remind anyone? Gee biscuits ….

3. Jock S. Trap 28 Mar 2011, 9:57am

A great positive step. Would be good tosee this throughout the country.

4. It all sounds suspiciously quiet. Have the mad presbyterians actually heard about this yet?

5. A great step for all of Ireland, the scools in the south could also take a leaf from their book.

Although I wait with usual dull excitement for “victim” to comer in and spew forth his racist anti-Irish bull. Last time he called for genocide, wonder if he can top that on the lunacy scale? We’ll juts have to wait.

6. This is good news, but the article forgot to mention the hard work and effort of Cara Friend and more particularly the work of Regional Youth Development Officer Mark Brown who is largely responsible for this. Hate to see hard work going unrecognised.

7. Micky Murray 28 Mar 2011, 10:42am

Have to disagree with the getting the Bible out of NI, I’m gay and a Christian I’m quite frequently at Union and Kremlin and my minister is a gay rights activist

This is a great step for Northern Ireland

1. Paddyswurds 28 Mar 2011, 11:05am

…The sooner religion is compelled to be a private matter everywhere never mind schools the better for mankind generally. I have no problem with religion in private but it has no place in schools or Government . The idea (altho not always strictly adhered to) that there should be complete seperation of religion and State is a commendable one.

2. yea right and your lover is ian paisley….

1. Thanks for that image. It’s nearly put me off my tea.

3. We don’t need the Bible, especially in the public schools. Keep your religion in your church and in your life. Not everyone wants it forced down their throats.

1. Agreed, Its disturbing to think that there are lgbt brainwashed, vulnerable to these religious denominations which perpetrate institutionalised homophobic dogma . It must be like sleeping with the enemy?

4. JW Co. Louth 28 Mar 2011, 9:55pm

i agree with micky murray here. im a catholic and take pride in the fact that i have been brought up a catholic. im gay, have no issues with my sexuality and neither does the church I go to.

1. The catholic church you go to has no issues with gay people??? Since when? Is your church separate from the one with the rabid pope who is foaming at the mouth with anti-gay nonsense?

8. Paddyswurds 28 Mar 2011, 11:00am

…..facebook also needs to step up to the line as regards homophobic bullying. Even if it can be eradicated from schools it is still endemic on social networks worldwide as evidenced by the several suicides of young people in the USA because of social network homophobic bullying.

9. Chutneybear 28 Mar 2011, 11:03am

@Micky if you can reconcile the two mate a chara then fair play to you. I often thought the extreme religious right was a source of woe in the NI religious movement

10. Chutneybear 28 Mar 2011, 11:03am

meant gay rights movement not religious movement

11. Micky Murray 28 Mar 2011, 11:34am

I can see what you mean, but when you actually look out for the Christian groups that aren’t against homosexuality its quite good to find out that there are quite a few of us, no matter how much homophobic anti-gay christian’ise it’s not how we allmmunity people need to realise it’s not how we all feel about our faith and homosexuality

1. Paddyswurds 28 Mar 2011, 1:40pm

.@micky murray “no matter how much homophobic anti-gay christian’ise it’s not how we allmmunity people need to realise it’s not how we all feel about our faith and homosexuality”
      Can you decipher please……

12. I totally agree with Micky. Im a gay christain as well, and pretty involved with the LGBT community. It only takes up 99% of my time :p

1. Micky Murray 28 Mar 2011, 12:10pm

What sort of things are you involved in?

2. Leeeee!

13. Shirley McMillan 28 Mar 2011, 3:04pm

Hi there, thanks for covering our story! As a mad Presbyterian ;-) I am delighted to be associated with the GSA at Shimna. We feel very hopeful about the whole thing and it’s overwhelming to have so much support! :-D

1. You are obviously a sane one.

1. Shirley McMillan 28 Mar 2011, 3:25pm

lol you should ask my family! (But don’t tell me what they said…)