Reports say Ugandan anti-gay bill has been killed

1. Helen Wilson 25 Mar 2011, 4:44pm

I would of thought David Bahati would have no other option but to resign his seat in protest! But I guess the morals and faith of Mr Bahati do not stretch as far as losing his salary.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Mar 2011, 8:04am

I think that no matter where this man is, in or out of government he is intent on causing as many problems for the LGBT community as possible. At least if he is visible we can see what. Remove him as a public figure could make him an even more vile and dangerous man.

2. I hope Uganda are beginning to sit up and recognise LGBT rights – sadly I suspect this is not the case.

We have no idea what is in the new legislation on sexual offences – until we know that we do not know if this is a positive move or not.

Two further thoughts – 1) its sad that the reason for change is a realisation that Uganda will be damaged in terms of international reputation, not due to respect for the rights of all
    2) There needs to be continued pressue to ensure Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe and other African nations who are (to coin a phrase) institutionally homophobic change. Ideally, this pressure needs to be led by gay activists who are African – but we can support them

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Mar 2011, 8:09am

I doubt that they will sit up and recognise LGBT right being most of Ugandans think we should be put to death. Lets not also forget the American Preachers who have helped whip up such hatred in a country that can ill afford hatred and bigotry. So much needs to be done to change this country into a more stable, accepting society. I believe restriction on funding can help as does the threat of making sure the money is going where it is supposed to not into the pockets of the corrupt men and women running the country.

1. @ Jock S Trap

Absolutely there is a lot of blame to be layed at some American Preachers …

Equally, I would suggest that while some practical efforts such as funding blocks could/should be considered that when we do get into dialogue we should hope that we can have the dialogue led by Africans

3. Staircase2 25 Mar 2011, 5:25pm

the evil bastards

4. “another bill would cover much of the provisions in the anti-homosexuality bill”

Really?

Well Uganda. We’re watching you. If you want international aid then I suggest that you be very careful in what you legislate.

1. Be very very careful, Uganda

At the moment in terms of human rights you look as though you are heading towards becoming a pariah state – I hope this is the start of you changing, but am not holding my breath

5. Let’s hope that this means that the whole concept is being kicked into the long grass and that talk of any other bill is just face saving.

And let’s thank Scott Mills for such a courageous and effective documentary bringing the issue to a wider audience.

1. @Gerry

Scott Mills documentary was both insightful and courageous

I hope this is the beginning of change in Uganda but I am not hopeful

When I was in Entebbe, Uganda last year some of the vitriol in the local press was disturbing to say the least. I can’t quite decide if I feel scared for anyone who is LGBT in Uganda or whether I feel pride and admiration for them being true to themselves in the face of such cruelty and adversity – maybe a combination of both.

2. Another +1 for Scott Mills.

——–

As for Uganda’s new bill? Different hat, ‘same head.

3. Jock S. Trap 26 Mar 2011, 8:11am

I doubt it. I expect many Gay men will face long jail terms and lots of abuse and violence. Human rights for the LGBT is still the last thing they believe. There are many ways in which to create a death sentence.

1. @Jock S Trap

But all the more reason to maintain pressure and find ways to demonstrate the illegality and evil of the situation in Uganda

6. Steve@GayWebHosting 25 Mar 2011, 8:08pm

Yes, the world need to keep an eye on these homophobic countries..

They have dropped the bill due to the threat of economic pressures… However, they must really suffer economic pressures if they try to sneak any of it back in via the back-door!

7. The best news we have heard all day. Proof that God loves gay people and is protecting them.

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Mar 2011, 8:13am

Premature considering we don’t know for sure if it has or indeed what’ll replace it.

2. ‘God’?

Oh please!

Don’t encourage belief in that monstrosity.

1. @David

Not sure that the concept of God is a monstrosity – more the fatuous interpretations by some – particularly some of the American evangelical churches who have promulgated hatred in Uganda and other African countries against LGBT rights.

In dealing with LGBT rights in Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Cameroon etc there will need to be an engagement with Christians and Muslims – it is not going to be feasible to win rights without such an engagement. These countries are ones where most people hold faith – unlike the UK, US and other “agnostic/atheist/multi faith” nations. There needs to be this engagement and it requires a different mindset. It wouldnt be helpful to go in and argue from a ‘rational’ or ‘logical’ perspective alone, and given the culture in these nations that would be likely to be seen as arrogant.

8. Rev.Dr. John Hunt 25 Mar 2011, 10:30pm

“many things that are in the bill … are covered by other laws that are already in place. … And the law that is in offing, the Sexual Offenses Bill, will cover most of the other issues that were going to be covered”

Surely this quote suggests that the ONLY change so far is the name of the Bill / Act that will contain the evil provisions.

1. Its not clear what is in the bill

There is suggestion that there is no need to change many parts of the law

Lets be cautious – there is a lot of hatred against LGBT people in Uganda – mostly fed by lies and ignorance

9. Jock S. Trap 26 Mar 2011, 8:02am

Trouble is the press keep saying this then somehow it’s back on the table again, so I think I’ll wait til it is finally removed or whatever hideous laws they replace it with.

With these kinds of laws in the offering I don’t think anyone should trust a country on hearsay.

I still think having a right to demand human rights for aid is acceptable.

1. @Jock S Trap

On the whole I agree with you – with exception perhaps being emergency aid ….

2. You are 100% right Jock, with no exception. Governments already do demand human rights for aid, with no exception – just not human rights for LGBT. Put it this way, if uganda were trying to push a law through that demanded the murder of jews, christians, muslims, whites, asians, capitalists, socialists, or any other group that the ‘aid givers’ approved of, not only would there be no aid given, there would be bombs being dropped on them.

A country can still treat LGBT however they want to and get away with it.

1. @Edward

Jock is right

I do think is presumptive that western governments do nothing in terms of linking aid to LGBT rights. I don’t think they do anywhere near enough – but there are FCO, EU, UN and other aid programmes which are closely connected to LGBT issues.

I do think the message is nowhere near strong enough from western governments and multinational organisations such as the UN regarding LGBT rights. My view of the message is that its there but the mouth speaking it is usually gagged – so mumbles are all that is heard, unlike clear condemnation (usually) of relgious hatred, race discimination etc etc.

I still would give emergency aid to countries I struggled with on ground of LGBT issues if they experienced famine, earthquake, drought etc – that is what I meant by emergency aid – not to be humane (even when their leaders are inhumane) make us as immoral

1. Correction

Jock is right, aid should be linked to rights, but I would make these observations ……..

10. I’ll believe they have come into the 21st century when they drop all this BS that gays deserve to die, etc. I don’t see anything that makes me think this is happening.

1. Yeah – I hope they are on the journey towards dropping all the hatred against the LGBT communities but I am strongly suspicious that they are not – and even if they are they are going far far too slow

2. Jock S. Trap 27 Mar 2011, 7:43am

They need to get those hateful Preachers to stop spreading the hate and misinformation about Gay people. It’s damaging, Very gross and clearly intended to provoke a hate response.

1. @Jock S Trap

I do agree that there is a very damaging message coming from some American inspired evengelical groups and that its desireable that this misinformation is stopped as it does provoke a hate response.

I do think the culture of Uganda and other similar African countries requires a different kind of response. There is such an entrenched religious aspect to the culture of the countries that it may well be there needs to be support of rational and liberal church groups to provide a counter message which is palatable to those immersed in this culture because of its religious foundation.

11. Gay Daily Mail Reader 4 Apr 2011, 9:20am

Don’t come crying to me, Uganda when your crops fail and you bring out the begging bowl. I certainly will not be putting my hand in my pocket for you. There is no reason why no country shouldn’t permit homosexuality even if it has to be in strict privacy as it first was in England and Wales in 1967.

1. It’s not just Uganda though

Equally strident in Africa are Kenya, Zimbabwe and Mauritania (to name just three)

Then we have the Islamic states such as Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Bahrain, Iran etc

Then there are places like the Soloman Islands, Barbados, Guyana, Burma etc (although often less strident than the countries above, still have horrific policies and bigotry towards LGBT people in place)

All of these places deserve criticism and condemnation for their policies and practices. However, the people of the countries shouldnt be abandoned because of the ignorance and bigotry of their successive politicians and leaders. We should be working to pressurize the countries involved to abandon their bigoted and prejudiced laws, bring about true equality and support their LGBT populations. We should also be encouraging those who are LGBT within each country rather than washing our hands of them.