Ricky Martin performs for Target staff despite Lady Gaga anti-gay row

1. We should be impressed with Lady Gaga’s publicity stunts and bad ripp-off songs?

Give me a break.

1. That’s right. Everything celebrities do are publicity stunts. It can’t be just because they want to support a cause, no.

I don’t like Lady Gaga’s music, but I’m not about to start whining because she’s helping the LGBT community. Get down off your hipster tower, Megan.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:09am

Comes to something when people whinge about support!

3. And what have you done for our community Megan?
      Less than Gaga i’ll bet.

Feel free to slag off Ricky Martin for being more interested in money than being a role model or having principals, but leave Gaga out of it because she does more for us than you or Ricky Martin.

4. Lady Gaga is using gays for self-promotion and making money – I can’t and won’t support that.

1. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:35am

Wow, what a shallow little mind you have.

2. Wow – that’s an appalling decision by Ricky Martin.

He’s a wealthy, successful performer. Does he REALLY need to earn cash from a corporation that is funding the removal of his own human and civil rights.

Gross decision by Ricky Martin. As contemptible as the decision by Elton John to pimp himself out as the wedding singer for vile bigot Rush Limbaugh.

3. I have harboured a suspicion that Lady Gaga really sort of stitched up Target (who had it coming).

She got to take two big bites at her “sponsor” – Making them promise not to continue being homophobic scum, and then (for anyone who missed the first message) binning them for being homophobic scum.

I thought it was hilarious – played for and got. Two lots of headlines for the price of one.

But then her career is soaring and at its peak. Mr Martin’s? Perhaps less so. I’m not convinced that I buy him as any sort of award-worthy hero of the GLBTQ movement. So he came out. Big deal. The rest of us ordinary souls do that all the time and some of us (perhaps not so much in the UK) can see our careers screwed for it. His would have been on a bigger scale, that’s all.

Lady Gaga is a friend and advocate. I don’t care for most of her music, but at least she is seen to be DOING something.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:13am

Stitch up? or Pushing a homphobic company into the light for all to see?

Surely it’s a good thing to root out rotten, homophobic companies!

1. Indeed it is Jock. Stitch up in that she intended it all along – to shine a light on them, embarrass them, remind everyone how they behave.

That’s just my guess any way. But if it wasn’t intended, it a fabulously costumed coincidence that she got to deliver not one, but two, very public bitchslaps. =)

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 1:16pm

I Guess you can throw a rope and see if they get rescued or hang themselves. I see your point.

4. martyn notman 23 Mar 2011, 10:46pm

State of his career i assume hes dancing for pennies in the car park??

5. He’s a cheap, mediocre singer with little integrity.

6. After all his spouting about being a “proud gay man”???! This seems outrageous. He will presumably issue a statement shortly. And if he doesn’t redeem himself, we should crucify the bastard. Doesn’t he know about the fury gay men? We built him up, but we can break him down. Muaa-ah-ah-ah-ahhhhh.

7. Ricky Martin spent years boasting about being a ‘normal’ man who loved sexing the laydeez.

Until that is, his career dried up and he decided to use his widely known homosexuality as the angle by which to promote his dreary, smug, self-aggrandising autobiography.

Ricky Martin would go back into the closet if the paycheque was big enough.

Someone write him a cheque please.

8. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:10am

Bad choice. One can only think money talks in this decision, nothing more.

9. Dan Filson 24 Mar 2011, 9:12am

Just earning a crust.

1. At the expense of our human and civil rights?

He’s already rich.

He’s just an ugly, talentless wh0re who places personal profit before human and civil rights.

This is the man who performed at the presidential inauguration of George W. Bush!

10. Fair play to Gaga for stitching up Target and exposing their homophobia to a wider public. Ricky Martin [who?] is a traitor, I hope he can sleep at night.

1. Really?
      I hope he can’t sleep at night.
      He must realise that he did bad surely.

11. Chris Wilson (Canada) 24 Mar 2011, 7:12pm

Well, Ricky Martin can slag the management up front instead of walking away in a righteous huff.
    Frankly I find Lady Gaga’s music and post Madonna pastiches so sickening that I do not want her to be my representative. I’m sick of “celebrities”. Of course, I’m 79 come July. Yours, etc. Lord Gaga.

1. Ding Dong! Finally people are getting it. Lady Gaga is the poor man’s Grace Jones/Madonna/Roisin Murphy/Gwen Stefani…. the list is endless. What barely differentiates her from those she’s ripping off is her shameless mercenary approach to using the LGBT community as a cash cow. If she (silly b!tch that she is) thought she could overhaul a corporate body like Target with some flimsy song and a bit of “well they told me that from now on they were going to change….” then she is either totally f..king deluded or is taking the p1ss. She got her money from Target and got to flounce off into the sunset with a fair bit of controversy under her belt in the same way as Madonna did in ’89, who remembers the Pepsi sponsorship debacle? I hate little kids from privileged backgrounds like Gaga fighting a cause she knows very little about other than being a fag hag and realising very quickly that gay men will buy a record with a dumb blonde on the sleeve. Is she even ‘bi’ any more?

1. Jock S. Trap 1 Apr 2011, 2:19pm

I thought she was bisexual so must know plenty.

Don’t think there can ever be enough supporters. All should be welcome.

12. You gus should be ashamed, when the negative posture about target with the LGBT came to the public light Ricky already had a deal signed with target to promote his new album, including performing for a private party.

13. Ricky is a decent, kind, educated, respectable, philanthropy, great father. He is giving a most respectable and niceer image to the gay male out there than any other famous male out star. Ricky is helping to change discriminative laws agaisnt to LGBT in Latin America and Puerto Rico

14. Ricky is the 1st ever successful mayor star in Latin America to come out, and he is standing up for all the gays and lesbians in Latin America where being gay still a very bad thing, has been major priest, paster, radio personalities that have criticized him for coming out. He is LEGEND IN THE LATINO COMMUNITY.

15. He still very successful, very popular, and ICON in part of the world, and making #1 hits, you queen be less negative and bitter and do your homework first.

Regarding GAGA she knows that the Gays are their target, i dn’t really think she is sincere.

16. She just knows that mostly of the LGBT community (not me) prefer a weird woman, that do drugs that screw everybody like she does, and wear crazy outfits to call the attention.

17. I guess Ricky Martin is still too Catholic damaged to really stand up for himself or others. He is out now, I hope he grows to understand that his opinions and actions matter more now than ever.

Yeah for GaGa, we need more people with courage who care more about life than dollars, not that she will end up poor for it, but it still takes courage to make a stand. Even if the naysayers and other Target shoppers who think she is only doing it for popularity she is still making a positive difference, far more than most even if true.

Target, really Ricky?, lending credence to a vicious greedy empty company who hurts everyone whether you are talking about gay rights or not. They also treat their employees and managers like crap. My whole family works in retail, none of us would ever consent to be a slave for those monsters. Thankfully there are much better options as a shopper or a worker than those pernicious villains.

I hope Ricky Martin cleans up his act I don’t want to have to trash all my Ricky Martin Albums like I did with EJ who I can no longer stand to listen to after all his mindless stupidities of late.

I wish our so-called gay leadership would also clean up it’s act, especially referring to the US. Too many whores for dollars/media attention instead of real values. Which is why there has been so much less progress than there should be. I am older than dirt and I am getting tired of hearing all the same rot I heard as a teenager, ad infinitum, ad naseum. We need to start getting tough again and have some stronger principles and a lot more courage!.

I think I’ll also go order another Lady GaGa Album, I wasn’t a huge fan before, but I am getting more enthusiatic lately ;-).

1. Jock S. Trap 1 Apr 2011, 2:20pm

He’s taking over from Elton John taking money from anyone, anywhere but hardly needs the extra cash.

18. Lets give him another GLAAD Award….

1. Jock S. Trap 1 Apr 2011, 2:20pm