Homophobia widespread in Northern Ireland workplaces

1. The only revelation about this , is lgbt in N.Ireland are more likely to complain of homophobia at work. Everywhere i’ve studied or worked in london has had endemic homophobia either overtly or covertly.

1. Totally agree with rapture homophobia is alive and well in many companies on the mainland. In the City of London I see and hear homophobic comments regularly.

2. A few years ago an Ulsterman I know who works here in England said he was thinking of going back home. Then he read that his home town council had voted for a resolution supporting the teaching of Creationism in local schools. He decided not to go back.

1. Paddyswurds 23 Mar 2011, 7:53pm

@Riondo…..Creationism is not taught in schools in the north of Ireland. It gets a passing mention in Sunday School classes as a “belief some people hold” . Nothing more. In relation to this article , i was born in the north of Ireland in Co Fermanagh. I travelled throughout the world for 15 years and suffered homophobia in the UK and was homophobicaly attacked in Boston USA However i returned to Ulster in 1980 and came out in 1990 to family aad friends. I have yet to witness homophobia or experience homophobia anywhere in Ireland so far and my work brings me into contact with people of all ages, religions and sex’s. I am also out as an atheist and find most people supportive and interested. So i think this survey is narrow and was probably carried out in a bible belt area like the Dundonald area of Belfast.

1. @Paddy

Creationism is not taught in schools – but it would be if several of our MLA’s had their way.

Your life history is irrelevant, just because you have not experienced discrimination or homophobia in NI does not mean it does not exist in Northern Ireland. Maybe I should dismiss everything you say on the basis that I have not experienced it.

Can you provide evidence for your assertions about the scope, veracity and geographical boundaries of the survey, if not then you are just throwing around mud and accusations based on your personal prejudices.

I await your evidence.

2. Ahh, I’m 26, from Dundonald, and have never experienced homophobia… Additionally I was one of the volunteers for the study and am misquoted on page 6 of the report! I can tell you, this story is a hyperbolic report/state of affairs in NI.

1. Kris,
          Your input is one of 752, respondents – how can you judge it as hyperbole unless you know the inputs of the rest of the 751 (which I assume were confidential) and you have reviewed the analysis. Just because a survey does not reflect your experience does not mean it cannot reflect an overall position. I am not saying the report is right or wrong only that you cannot judge it from your input alone.

Anyway, hows life in the bible belt, spotted Iris about ? I hear she is around the place.

2. They teach creationism at faith schools in london and throughout the uk. Your friend could of thought of a better reason not to return.

1. My friend was referring to state schools, not specifically faith ones. And the point was not that Creationism would be actually taught in them, but that an elected council supported the idea. That was indicative of still pervasive cultural attitudes that he didn’t want to deal with. And Dave G is right – Paddyswurds’ observations are anecdotal and can be opposed by lots of others.

1. Firstly have not read paddyswurds post , so don’t know why you made the reference . Also there are an excessive number of faith schools throughout the uk receiving state funding and still operating the teaching of creationism. Can you be more precise with the council name in northern ireland that supported this motion?

1. Then read his post – that will make sense of what I said about it.
            I totally agree with you about faith schools and I think their receiving state funding is an outrage, whether they teach Creationism or not. However, the significant point is that it is hard to imagine most local councils in the UK explicitly supporting such teaching, so it is plainly something cuIturally important in a specific area. I am afraid I don’t know which town my friend referred to – I recalled this story from several years ago and remember being struck by the cultural implications for a friend who had begun to think that things were ‘opening up’ where he came from and had learned somethiing which dissuaded him from returning.

3. Maybe we should just cut N. Ireland off. Let Ireland have it back. I’d love to see Paisley squirm over that one.

1. And a nice little civil war they’d have over that one…they have a history of such spiteful little conflicts.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:22am

I agree with you both but I do think Ireland should be whole again.

1. The only time Ireland has been whole was under the British, there is no “Ireland” to have it back.

Ireland will become a united sovereign state for the very first time if the people decide they want it to be. That’s what the vast majority of people voted for in Ireland (North and South) in the GFA.

Maybe we should just leave it to democracy.

1. Incorrect. Yo analysis of Irish history is flawed.

Firstly, Ireland has a long succession of High Kinds, who ruled over the entire island since 7th century.

Secondly, it was the Normans who conquered Ireland in the 12th Century, not the British. The British, as in the modern term, acknowledge the entire entity of Ireland as a singular state long the Act of Union in 1800 (refered to as “Kingdom of Ireland”)

2. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 12:56pm

That is clearly rubbish. what comic book did you read that nonsense from.
            Ireland was a soverigh kingdom until 1168 when Dermod Mac Murrogh begged assistance fron Henry 2nd to help him overthrow the High King of Ireland Roderick O’Connor. Richard de Clare, known as Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke was sent to Ireland in May 1169, and landed at Bannow Bay in County Wexford . That is the point at which the English then turned on Mac Murrogh and proceeded to conquer and enslave Ireland. So once again DaveG you are shown to be spouting bigoted nonsense for your own ends.
            If you want to know the history of Ireland from that point to present and Britains shameful part in it i suggest you read some history and not the British version either. You can download The Annals of Ireland free from Google Books if you have an attention span long enough.

3. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 12:57pm

above post for DaveG not Ciaran

4. Jock S. Trap 31 Mar 2011, 9:38am

Ok then I think Ireland should be whole again and a country in it’s own right.

How’s that?

2. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:05pm

@Paul…… Ahh more English bigotry. You wont have heard of the Good Friday Agreement then when the people of Ireland voted 80% to End hostilities and to recognise democratic principles. It was also agreed that the north of Ireland would stay under British jurisprudence but with shared devolved government as long as the majority wanted that. Well guess what, that majority now stands at less than 1% and it is likely a referendum will be called within the next 5 years to reunite Ireland . No civil war because this time the English ruling calss are not involved. Hope that clears things up for you.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:09pm

@ Ciaran.. “In the 7th century”
          My direct ancestor Nial of the nine hostages, was High King of the entire Island of Ireland in the 5th century from 1146 to 1164 when he was murdered in France and is buried there.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:44pm

@Ciaran ….errata…446 to 464 …obv haste and lack of editing facilities make for silly mistakes…sorry.

2. How do you work out that the majority stands at 1% when no referenda has been held. If you are doing a simple religion count then you are putting a lot of store by every catholic voting for a united Ireland, there is no evidence to support that assumption – wishful thinking maybe – but no evidence.

Actually maybe referenda would be a good idea, can’t see to many people wanting to join a bankrupt state, or too many in the republic wanting another 1.5M mouths to feed. Just as long as you are not left to count the votes, your grasp of maths isn’t that great.

1. Paddyswurds 25 Mar 2011, 1:37pm

@ DaveG…something akin to your grasp of history then….

4. What do you expect when Northern Irish Politics is full of hateful bigots such as Iris Robinson

5. the place is full of bile hatred and bigotry no wonder nobody goes there, they are all in the dinasaur days cant see beond thier noses they live boring awful mundane lifes

1. sounds like u talking bout east london.

1. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:24am

Same sh!t, different religion and on a much smaller scale rapture.

It is prove that No religion is good.

2. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:17pm

@ Jimbob and others….
      One thing we do have in Ireland North and South , that we are all proud if is Education and we make a pretty good fist of our use of the Englysh language and it’s spelling, which is more than can be said about a lot of the English commentators on these threads. They would seem to excel at bigotry and facism though which it would seem,is to them a virtue.

6. Jimbob

As a gay person living in Belfast I want to thank you for being so supportive. You clearly know a lot about Northern Ireland if you feel confident enough to make such a sweeping generalisation.

1. here here.

2. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:26am

Absolutely love Ireland. My family are from Southern and lovely people and country. I really feel Northern Ireland would (eventually) benefit from a united Ireland.

3. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 12:30pm

‘Gavin…hear hear!!

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:26pm

@Scott……Hardly indicitive of the people of the north of Ireland Scott. The DUP are a loyalist xtian political party started by the now retired Ian Paisley. They are now in the devolved government of the noI with Sinn Fein who will probably take the First Ministers job from them Come the May elections.
      It would seem you have lost btouch with the land of your birth and need to update you way out of date info about the place.

7. Never experienced homophobia in Ireland? Maybe you Irish save up your vile bigotry for outsiders then? Ireland is full of severe bigotry , racism is strong , diability discrimination is off the richter scale. The identity is so immature it can’t even tolerate the smallest of criticism without an explosion of violence. Is it illegal to call for the genocide of a certain ethnicity? i have two words for the Irish “No Surrender”.

1. Oh, look, victim again with ANOTHER delirious anti-Irish tirade of lies and falsehoods but this time with the added insanity of calling for genocide. How wonderfully erudite. Well, that’s a normal thing to do, sure Hitler or Pol Pot weren’t mad either.

Victim, you’re a travesty of a human and a disgrace. I’m sure you encounter much discrimination in your life, but the fact is its solely because you’re a complete ass.

1. LU is back then under another alias.

8. Jock S. Trap 24 Mar 2011, 8:20am

Sad news but not too surprising. You only have to see the people who run the Northern Ireland Assembly plus the fact that there are still religious tensions.

This does no favours to the LGBt community nor the rest of the people of Northern Ireland.

Religion and it’s Evils have a lot to answer for.

1. I agree with you, sad but not surprising.

9. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 12:09pm

@ others *I think this survey is narrow and was probably carried out in a bible belt area like the Dundonald area of Belfast.*
    As can be seen from above or a reread of my origional post I DID NOT specify Dundonald and i stand by my assertion that this was carried out in a bible belt area or areas of Belfast or Ballymena. Kris’ comment would seem to confirm my point While Dundonald may be bible belt and home to the Vile Iris Robinson I have no figures or evidence for homophobia there other than anecdotal or media reports which seem to point to the fact that any homophobia in the north of Ireland seems to take place in these areas rather than Nationalist or mainly RC areas.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 12:14pm

…cont . however “more than a quarter” is hardly grounds for saying it is widespread in the north of Ireland. If it said “more than three quarters” or even “half” then it would be a story.Lets have some balance here. Is this a slow day story or just a sh!t stirring exercise. Either way it is nonsense.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 12:26pm

cont 2…and a reread of my origional comment would show those who have an agenda on these threads that at no point did i say that Homophobia does not exist in the north of Ireland , it just isn’t widespread as the figure of a “quarter” in the story would seem to indicate.

1. Paddyswurds – Your comments are full of ignorance, which may be willful or just lacking in awareness of the issues.
          This is not a slow news story but rather a major piece of research into the experiences of LGB people in Northern Ireland – and is even more important for the fact that it is the only piece of research specifically looking at employement.
          How can you be so ludicrious as to say that this research was only conduted with people that are employed in workplaces that are in percieved homophobic geographical area?.
          The project in question provide counselling. Maybe you should access it and deal with your obvious internalised homophobia.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:34pm

@gaygeal …another incarnation of LU perhaps.. You another of these dump and run twats who rite nonsense and then run. Anyone who can construe that i’m Homophobic because i say a quarter is a long way from widespread is deluded and a “victim” freak. Go back over the months and read my posts, then tell me i’m a homophobe. I am a gay male northern Irishman who has been out since i was 15 and not an in the closet whinger like some. Feel free to change the word Some to suit.

2. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 5:36pm

errata……….it just isn’t widespread , as the figure of a quarter in the story would seem to indicate that its patchy at best.

1. Once again,
            Paddyswurds – I was challenging your assertation ” i stand by my assertion that this was carried out in a bible belt area or areas of Belfast or Ballymena” idiot – this is completely unfounded and you should really have some evidence to back this up. I think the author would provide clarity.
            1 in 4 completely closeted at work suggest something about the culture of those workplaces – and 31& rising to 42% having heard anti-gay comments suggests something otherwise.
            I am not a lump and run. I will challenge you any day.
            You are one of those idiots that thinks because there is equality legislation and you have not had bad personal experineces that homophobia does not exsists.
            Maybe you coulkd look at the figures for hate crime and It will rightly inform your pseudo sectarian point that homophobia is somehow restricted to a certain section of our community. Yes attiitudes are broadly better amongst nat community but that does not mean it doensn’t exsist.
            Idiot

2. Paddyswurds 25 Mar 2011, 1:59pm

@gageal Your use of abuse does you credit and as i’ve said to others , is the last refuge of the ignorant. It is you who is clearly the idiot although lots of idiots can read. You should learn to read posts carefully before making unfounded abusive comment . I stand by my point that i have not observed, heard or been the target of significant homophobic abuse anywhere in the north of Ireland. Perhaps what you have experienced has been other than homophobic and you have chosen to label it as such in a vain attempt at self solace. Anecdotal and media evidence has been, over the last 25 years, that homophobia is largely, altho not exclusively a problem in unionist and bible belt areas of the north and in particular in what is euphamistically termed loyalist areas.Several years ago there was a spate of homophobic attacks in nationalist areas of Derry and when investigated, was proven to be the work of loyalist thugs from the Waterside area of that city. ……

3. Paddyswurds 25 Mar 2011, 2:11pm

…and homophobia is well known throughout the north, to be endemic in Ballymena, Portadown and Ballycastle among others. As is the case in sectarian ulster most of or all of the industrial workplaces ARE i the areas mentioned like it or not….. As for your perception that i am psuedo sectarian, well that is in keeping with your seeing what you want to see and only perceive what suits your own victim mentality. Am i right in guessing you are a lesbian or are you just misandric?

10. I know this is Anecdotal, but I went to mass on sunday in belfast, I am also openly gay, I received no negative comments then. Indeed the most I have ever experienced is “why are you gay?” which is not really homophobic just a wee bit ignorant.

Most of the Catholics I have met are actually quite liberal, born out of the fact I imagine that they are often poorer and thus are more aligned with things such as the trades union movt. Also where I am in Belfast atm many people have experiences of being discriminated against themselves thus I imagine they do not want to start discriminating against others.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2011, 1:39pm

@ Scott…Hear hear…. and that is the experience of most Catholics and ex Catholics in the north of Ireland. Homophobia is mainly a phenomenem of the non catholic christians in Ireland to a large extent and this is also true of RCs and ex RCs in western enlightened countries wordlwide, bar countries like Malta and Italy.

11. One of the reasons that my mother keeps the details of my life from her Northern Irish family. The only thing I could have done worse is turn out Catholic! Loony, militant, Protestants the lot of them, apparently.

12. Chris Lowry 25 Mar 2011, 8:13am

As someone born and bred in Northern Ireland and now living very happily on ‘the mainland’ I have to say part of Northern Irelands more over arching problem is how small it is… there is not a wealth of culture, arts, or most importantly different people!

NI society does not know how to deal with difference because there is so little of it. Definitely we need to target the issues and problems being faced by LGBT people there – I remember my own horrid experiences – but the larger problem is how we pull it our out the past and into a 21st century modern society.

1. Paddyswurds 25 Mar 2011, 12:41pm

@ Chris Lowry that may be true of the unionist tradition in Ulster but it is clearly not true of the Nationalist tradition who have as widespread a culture as the rest of ireland. You didn’t say where in mainland Europe you were now living, but if you were to spend some time on the off shore island of Britain you would no doubt see the sterility of culture or indeed the lack of there unless one were to consider “pop” culture which is hardly culture. Those of us in the GLB community in the north who didn’t run away have non of the problems you seem to have experienced here. I wonder why that is. I hope you find the mainland of Europe more to your smallminded likeing.

1. You are a sectarian idiot – Nationals good, unionists bad – homophobia is only a problem in unionist communities – do you not understand how inherently sectarian that statement is?
        Yes Sinn Fein pay lip service to LGB equality – see recent shenanigans on Cohesion, Sharing and Integration, where they bowed down to the DUP and left the queer community out of our shared future – as well as women, and people with disabilities.

1. Paddyswurds 25 Mar 2011, 2:38pm

@gageal …you really are a nasty little bigot aren’t you. Again only seeing what you want to fit in with the raher large chips on your shoulders. Where did I say nationalist good unionists bad? Don’t presume to put words in my mouth. It just wont wash. Mainland Europe is welcome to you . Now go away and fester somewhere else.. the Daily Mail might suit you victim agenda better.

1. I am an out gay republican from North Belfast, born and bred. New Lodge to be precise – invalidating my arguements by presumption of my community background says more about your sectarian mindset than it does about me. I am no bigot.
            Media and ancedotal evidence? Really – And you purport that to be vaild comparative to hate crime experiences – Try the other research done by rainbow in terms of policing experiences of LGB people.
            I am very glad you have rowed back from your assertion that this was carried out in bible belts areas exclusively – a slander on the impartiality and ethical procedures of those that carried out the research.
            Note also that 40% of the respondents deemed themselves catholic.
            Maybe you could request from the author some demographic breakdown of experineces according to community background.
            May confound your narrow sectarian prejudices.
            I stioll think you are an idiot.

2. english words 25 Mar 2011, 7:42pm

@gaygeal….the best and only valid point in your paranoid rant is that you “are from north Belfast” and the longer you stay “from” the better. No sane nationalist or republican would refer the Britain as ” the mainland” It is Irelands fortune that you chose to run and i advise you keep running until you find a bigoted narrow minded cesspit more suited to your particular paranoia.

3. Paddyswurds 26 Mar 2011, 11:59am

@ Gaygeal….Please ignore 90% of my last post written while under the “influence. As you will have gathered i got two commentators mixed up.. Sorry. I won’t be commenting further on this thread

13. Simon Halliwell 26 Mar 2011, 10:11am

As always folks! It goes for the point of homophobia wide spread to sectarian remarks!! Wise up people!